Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:29   #1

Mercedes ML 350??

Hey guys spotted this car some time back. Had the Photos in my Cell phone but forgot to post them.

I had another photo too but somehow lost it.
Can someone explain what that 4MATIC Badge is????

@Mods-Please merge if similar thread exists.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-dsc01305.jpg  

Mercedes ML 350??-dsc01306.jpg  

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 23rd March 2008 at 00:30.
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

4Matic is the name Merc uses for their AWD transmission system.

Last edited by iraghava : 23rd March 2008 at 00:51.
Old 23rd March 2008, 03:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
4Matic is the name Merc uses for their AWD transmission system.
Thank you for clarifying that.
Old 24th March 2008, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ishan, Arent all ML's awd drives?
Old 24th March 2008, 22:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

GTA, both Iraghava and Scooby05 are right.
Ill attempt at an explanation of the 4matic fro you which should put an end to all doubts;
4matic is a registered trade mark of Mercedes Benz and means nothing but an AWD so in short it is the name of Mercedes's AWD system but it does not work as a full-time 4WD although it is called the "Full time AWD".
In everyday driving conditions , the clutches are disengaged, making the car behave and operate like a normal rear wheel drive. But in demanding conditions say driving in the snow or sleet when the car is bound to loose traction, the computer sends signals which engages the clutches progressively thereby transferring torque to the front wheels too, as, when and as much as required. So in factually it is only a part time AWD and not a full time AWD. In Mercedes suvs the division is 50-50 and in its E-Class sedans, the division is 40-60, In the S Class and luxury sedans if im right, the split is 45-55. This configuration keeps on changing as Mercedes keeps on making its cars more and more technologically advanced. Actually 4MAtic actually meant 4wheel driven Automatic cars (except the older gen US spec. S Classes and 300D diesel)
All Merc suvs which are AWD are essentially 4Matic
The 4matic badge is actually used on sedans to denote their AWD characteristics. Most 4Matic badges can be found on the US spec cars as that is where the maximum sales of 4Matic cars take place.
Hope its clear now

Check out this brilliant Ad.

ImageShack - Hosting :: bestcarcommercialeverjw7.flv
Old 24th March 2008, 22:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Ill attempt at an explanation of the 4matic fro you which should put an end to all doubts;
4matic is a registered trade mark of Mercedes Benz and means nothing but an AWD so in short it is the name of Mercedes's AWD system but it does not work as a full-time 4WD although it is called the "Full time AWD".
In everyday driving conditions , the clutches are disengaged, making the car behave and operate like a normal rear wheel drive. But in demanding conditions say driving in the snow or sleet when the car is bound to loose traction, the computer sends signals which engages the clutches progressively thereby transferring torque to the front wheels too, as, when and as much as required. So in factually it is only a part time AWD and not a full time AWD. In Mercedes suvs the division is 50-50 and in its E-Class sedans, the division is 40-60, In the S Class and luxury sedans if im right, the split is 45-55. This configuration keeps on changing as Mercedes keeps on making its cars more and more technologically advanced. Actually 4MAtic actually meant 4wheel driven Automatic cars (except the older gen US spec. S Classes and 300D diesel)
All Merc suvs which are AWD are essentially 4Matic.
The 4matic badge is actually used on sedans to denote their AWD characteristics. Most 4Matic badges can be found on the US spec cars as that is where the maximum sales of 4Matic cars take place.
Hope its clear now

Thanks for explaining gogi bhai. By the way, Excelent advertisement.
Old 25th March 2008, 01:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
All Merc suvs which are AWD are essentially 4Matic.
Hope its clear now

Yes V-16 you are right! Normally almost all germans except Audi A4's are RWD. 4-Matic badge is a terminology used by Merc for AWD. Likewise BMW terms it by "X" .... for example 335i (RWD) 335xi (AWD) and of-course you all know X5's. Audi says it "Quatro".

I bought a 4-Matic bcos of snow where I live in winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-img_0007.jpg  

Mercedes ML 350??-img_0010.jpg  

Old 25th March 2008, 05:33   #8
BHPian

I had seen a 4-5 year older Merc M-class at Mumbai airport.
Old 7th September 2008, 08:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

ML320 CDI near Nariman Point, Mumbai
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-img_7183.jpg  

Old 7th September 2008, 10:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes Gogi Bhai absolutly right. the only Difference Between Scooby uncles car and the New ML is Technology for the all wheel drive system.

let me contribute with mine. ML 320 CDI.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-ml-stock-yard.jpg  

Last edited by speedy : 7th September 2008 at 10:33.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Yes Gogi Bhai absolutly right. the only Difference Between Scooby uncles car and the New ML is Technology for the all wheel drive system.

let me contribute with mine. ML 320 CDI.
I love the new ML, its far better than the earlier one, but most of them are un aware of the fact. Anyway dude, how long have u being using ur ML?
Old 7th September 2008, 11:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
I love the new ML, its far better than the earlier one, but most of them are un aware of the fact. Anyway dude, how long have u being using ur ML?
Hanmust, it is far better than the previous ones in all aspects (no offence meant Scooby uncle).
The car was driven for around 500 kms by my father when it went for registration on 4th, he just could not resist. i got delivery of it yesterday.
Old 7th September 2008, 12:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Hanmust, it is far better than the previous ones in all aspects (no offence meant Scooby uncle).
The car was driven for around 500 kms by my father when it went for registration on 4th, he just could not resist. i got delivery of it yesterday.

Oh so its very new, Congrats. So its almost on same time we both got our new drives.
Old 7th September 2008, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Oh so its very new, Congrats. So its almost on same time we both got our new drives.
Yes Hunmust. that is why i PMed you . we also took almost the same time from deciding. one week to get them home.
Old 7th September 2008, 23:18   #15

Finally!! Very nice Speedy!! When do i get a spin??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks