Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984

I was traveling to my office on Sunday, as soon as I reached hot tracks, I got a call from a private number I was like whether to pick-up the call or just ignore it, finally picked it up and from the other end with full josh he said “Hey macha what’s up, where are you? Can you come to Mysore road coffee day?” I was clue less, I asked him whether it’s Vignesh, he acknowledged, I was very happy, after a long time by buddy has come to meet me. He said he wanted to give me a surprise so he did not keep me posted in advance about his visit. Told him that I was schedule to work and cannot take a leave at last hour (he understood as he was working with me earlier).

He told its raining heavily and in Mysore road and will catch you up at office some time in night as I would be staying in my aunt’s place in kormangala. I was very curious to know what he was driving, he replied saying its his new Maruti 800, I was puzzled then thought after meeting him I will anyways come to know.

Called me at night and said he would catch me in morning as he was not in any condition to meet me near office; I came to know what he was saying and told him to carry on.

Monday morning he called me at 7 AM and said he was going to TVS Sundaram and would be meeting me sometime in noon and he would leave to Coimbatore. I got up at 5 PM and called him and asked “what da, what’s the time in your watch?” He said he was busy in airport and told would call me later. I was very much puzzled, I asked him what was he up to? He said nothing will tell you when I meet you. As usual got ready and left to office, on my way he again called and said what traffic is this in Bangalore da, last year it was not like this.. told him with a smile last year Airport was not in the same place.

He called me in morning and told me to wait for him at office as he was coming to home for meeting my family. Told him I would be waiting in front of gate you can just stop in the opposite lane, I will come there.

He came in his brand new Maruti 800 white color and waved his hand. I was not able to control my laugh looking at him. As he had grown mustache. I got into the car and asked him “what is this, you with a mustache?” He replied saying in Coimbatore few people will not respect you with out that. I was laughing as remembering how he was in Bangalore ( he was like Vikram Mathias, with minus haircut and clean shave).

We come to my house, had some break fast got fresh and took him for a drive in My VTEC, he was impressed the way it was responding (you guys wont believe, when I took delivery from Ajit and landed at home he called me on my cell, it was more than a year we had spoken) told him what a coincidence I just now bout my car and you called).

Then it was his turn to show this car, he told we will go to his aunt’s house. There was the beauty Classic Mercedes W123 -1984 this is not his ride, but he uses it, car belongs to his uncle and its very well maintained, I was shocked by the cleanliness of the car.

My buddy is blessed to drive amazing super cars, and his father is also into same business. Then he said his 800 is for traveling in the city on weekday and on weekend after hours, the beasts will be out. I got his point.

We have started creating a small free website on this car, will let you guys know when its completed.This car was manufactured in 1984 and was imported to India in 1993, it has all the original fittings and even the paint is original, will write more in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984-picture20001.jpg  

Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984-picture20003.jpg  

Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984-picture20004.jpg  

Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984-picture20005.jpg  

Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984-picture20006.jpg  

Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984-picture20008.jpg  

Attached Images

vinayvtec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:45   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a pristine W123....the interiors look brand new!! Kudo's to the man who has managed to maintain this Benz in such an impeccable manner. The Pioneer stereo is sticking out like a sore thumb, ask your friend to get it replaced with an original-looking becker. If its an '84 build, thats pretty much at the end of the 123 production cycle. Here's some food for thought : We compare the Benz' of today with the W124 and complain "they just don't build them like they used to". Well, the W123's were from an era far more special than the 124 too. As they say, the 123 is more of a tank than the 124. Diesels are actually the connoisseurs favorite and they last forever...only problem, the 240D is lacking in horses. I had a drive once as a teenager and remember the sluggishness.

A *real* Mercedes-Benz. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful.
one of the sleekest and best looking mercs are from this series,somehow i like this over the latest ones
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics. Very well mantained too. The car is not showing its age even after 25 years of service. It has to be appereicated.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:17   #5
BHPian

Merc W 123 1983

VOW! Thats a lovely and verrrrrry original 123.
And it has a nice regn number too.
I've always liked the design of the mags that came with it.
Make sure the car is stowed in sheltered parking to preserve its interiors and stock leather for the future.
Thanks for sharing the lovely pics.

Wishing you all the very best and a pleasant ownership.

Last edited by President : 23rd August 2008 at 12:18.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's some food for thought : We compare the Benz' of today with the W124 and complain "they just don't build them like they used to". Well, the W123's were from an era far more special than the 124 too. As they say, the 123 is more of a tank than the 124. Diesels are actually the connoisseurs favorite and they last forever...only problem, the 240D is lacking in horses. I had a drive once as a teenager and remember the sluggishness.
. the 123 are a different breed where even the 124's dont come close to. my 1980 240d has done a lac plus kms and has not demanded any work she has her charm and glides through everything and takes all my nonesense with a smile.
i would not say lacking horses or being sluggish. maybe not being biast i would say initial throw is less but once you go into 2nd and 3rd gear the car flies. i have raced and modified esteem with mine and beaten it. compare the 123 with the 124 and it is sluggish. i would say it holds it own even with its big brothers around.
Old 23rd August 2008, 16:22   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
maybe not being biast i would say initial throw is less but once you go into 2nd and 3rd gear the car flies. i have raced and modified esteem with mine and beaten it. i would say it holds it own even with its big brothers around.
Come on Speedy, with all of its 70 horses?
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic car and my favorite colour. In fact the is a poster of my fav the W123 coupe in the same color that I posted in the W123 thread.

I have a feeling the engine is the OM616 as seen in the FTT which is not a bad thing for getting parts and upgrades like turbo etc !!
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come on Speedy, with all of its 70 horses?
hard to believe but i assure you it does not feel sluggish once you know your car GTO. these i would call slow starters but once they are up there then they are hard to catch. like i said if you compare it to the older siblings the 124 then yes it would come across as sluggish. A 200d would be sluggish but the 240d and the 300d are by no means.
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:12   #10
BHPian

1984 W123 200 Petrol

A friend of mine in mumbai, has a 1984 W123 200 Petrol in a dark lemon yellow shade, with genuine low mileage and ultra clean bodyline. Interiors are stock leather with age showing and the car has gone through a coat of paint a few years ago.
At the same time, all lights, bumpers, wheel caps and trim were imported and replaced. The car looks really clean and chic now.
He may want to sell it if he gets a price around 2.5L.
My question: Is it worth buying it at this price? And is it a reliable machine as compared to the rock solid Diesels eqivalently available.
I would consider it for its classic value and very casual weekend drives.
Requesting inputs from the merc gurus here.cheers:

Last edited by President : 23rd August 2008 at 19:14.
Old 13th December 2008, 22:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I was traveling to my office on Sunday, as soon as I reached hot tracks, I got a call from a private number I was like whether to pick-up the call or just ignore it,...

We have started creating a small free website on this car, will let you guys know when its completed.This car was manufactured in 1984 and was imported to India in 1993, it has all the original fittings and even the paint is original, will write more in my next post.
very good car i drove this KL01 at coimbatore in my friends car showroom alankarcars which came for sale

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2008 at 01:13. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 14th December 2008, 03:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
very good car i drove this KL01 at coimbatore in my friends car showroom alankarcars which came for sale

Yes, now this car has been put on sale as the owner is going for an import one. Can you PM me your friend name?

Which other car did you get to drive?

This is one of the best and well maintained 123 I had seen in my life.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 14th December 2008 at 04:01.
Old 14th December 2008, 15:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Yes, now this car has been put on sale as the owner is going for an import one. Can you PM me your friend name?

Which other car did you get to drive?

This is one of the best and well maintained 123 I had seen in my life.
Hai Vinay My Friend is BABU He is the Best guy to Buy Any car His contact is 09842221161 And He has Quite A few classic cars for sale in very original shape must be the best in the country
Old 14th December 2008, 23:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely pristine! Hats off to your friend. BTW what's with so many new threads on old Mercs? I'm not complaining, i'm actually very happy....old school cars are getting their long due appreciation ever since the world is becoming a smaller place(courtesy the internet).
Old 17th February 2009, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Hello guys,
Can anyone help me locate a pristine condition Benz within 3L. I need it as my daily drive car (20-30 kms a day max). Any of the following models would do:

(1) 200D, 240D, 300D of the '80s (am open to their petrol counterparts as well)
(2) 280 SEL, 500 SEL
(3) 190E, 190D
(4) E220, E250D (if they fall within budget!)
(5) Any of the fintailed/other models of the late '60s through '70s.

My closest friends have disgusting things to say about the Made-in-India Mercs. One has recently got rid of his beautiful red 2002 C200 CDI when the cost of general repairs and maintenance almost got him to the verge of bankruptcy! My other close buddy had bought a sparingly used 2004 E220 CDI Auto. She loved the car... until one fine day it stalled in the middle of the highway and had to be towed back to town. The car was diagnosed with a faulty chip that set her back by 80 grands. It was sold a week later. Another dear friend still retains his 2001 E240... though he has faced many a tantrums from the car.

Hearing these nightmares, have decided to place my bet on the true-German models that are probably more robust and reliable. How are these older cars to maintain and run?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks