Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2008, 23:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes R Class

The R class finally was kind to me or rather should i say it was my luck that my father did not dismiss it for an E class stationwagon. He just mentioned there was this Mercedes confusion at the function. It is not a van and not a car, so i clicked it. He was more interested in the S600 at the function.
Sorry for the bad quality pictures. Mods could we just have a cars seen in Mumbai thread, or does one exist already it would make posting random car pictures so much easier. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes R Class-15112008302.jpg  

Mercedes R Class-15112008301.jpg  

Last edited by speedy : 15th November 2008 at 23:39.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2008, 23:44   #2

Yep, this is the one i saw too!! Looks like an EClass eloped with an Mclass. Anyways, this was at the BKC Speed Perol Pump the pther day, and there was some rich spoilt brat in it. And i clicked a couple of pics only to realise that someone had turned my camera resolution to 120X120!!!
Old 15th November 2008, 23:45   #3
BHPian

After the CLS63 another speedy first? Now is this the 1st R class in India? I must it does look rather weird at first!
Old 15th November 2008, 23:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Yep, this is the one i saw too!! Looks like an EClass eloped with an Mclass. Anyways, this was at the BKC Speed Perol Pump the pther day, and there was some rich spoilt brat in it. And i clicked a couple of pics only to realise that someone had turned my camera resolution to 120X120!!!
HaHa Cyrus serves you right for ogling at other women. Ok jokes apart. Yes this was at BKC since the school has its annual day celebrations and the kids need a ride and we need some snaps. Last time spotted the S600 there, this time both S600 and this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
After the CLS63 another speedy first? Now is this the 1st R class in India? I must it does look rather weird at first!
Thanks Brabus. I am trying to get another first lets hope i can manage it for the 30th. I have a hunch that You for one would definitely love it.
Yes this is the first R class in India, it has been here if i am to believe right for the past 3 months. Trust me Cyrus has discribed it in a decent way, you should have heard my father. You would have thought another DC rolls had taken place.
Old 16th November 2008, 00:03   #5

Arre wat oggling!! There was this fat blob sitting in the car!! BTW, when you putting the Lorinser? Just a suggestion, dont change the wheels. And if you do, Gift the old ones to me!! If not all, give one, so atleast i have something unique to hang on the wall!!!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 16th November 2008 at 00:04.
Old 16th November 2008, 00:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Arre wat oggling!! There was this fat blob sitting in the car!! BTW, when you putting the Lorinser? Just a suggestion, dont change the wheels. And if you do, Gift the old ones to me!! If not all, give one, so atleast i have something unique to hang on the wall!!!
I have called the person on Monday to the office. So i can see the range in Peace. The kit for the E costs 3.5 lakhs all inclusive. How can you put the kit and leave the wheels stock. Sure you can have one as a wall peice. My father is keen but i am asking him to hold on for a bit. Might as well get the real deal than a make belief.
Old 16th November 2008, 00:20   #7
BHPian

And they say station wagons dont have a market in India. How much does this one cost?
Old 16th November 2008, 09:13   #8
BHPian

This indeed is R class, have seen couple of times in USA, but looks
weird from front, this is mercedes answer to mini van.
close to $50k here, i dont think it is worth it.
Old 16th November 2008, 11:09   #9
BHPian

there was a v12 s600 also? whose?
Old 16th November 2008, 15:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom_ariel View Post
there was a v12 s600 also? whose?
It belongs to Ambani I guess, the owner of the school.
Old 16th November 2008, 19:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

The R Class looks daunting but I understand from people who have used them that it is quite a good vehicle to drive. Have followed them on UK motorways and man, on high speeds they can hold the road.
Old 16th November 2008, 19:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

When I first time read that " R-class " is a mammoth, I was not ready to accept. After looking at the picture, I am sure it is a huge vehicle.
There is nothing wrong with the machine, but its rather the market place it is trying to enter into. This is one type of crossover but between a sedan and minivan rather than the usual SUV.

Yes, if I had not read the title I would have mistaken it for E-class wagon specially from the most imposing picture where the car's massive proportions are visible.
Old 16th November 2008, 19:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good concept, but my understanding is that it wont be replaced with new generation due to poor sales.
Old 16th November 2008, 20:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

The R class is based on the ML and GL platform but the footprint is the same as an S class. Looks better in the metal (I do not say it looks good!). Mercedes were trying to guage the market for something more up market in the MPV segment - folks awitch to Cayennes at that price point but timing as wrong and maybe positioning
Old 16th November 2008, 22:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

Thanks Brabus. I am trying to get another first lets hope i can manage it for the 30th. I have a hunch that You for one would definitely love it.
Yes this is the first R class in India, it has been here if i am to believe right for the past 3 months. Trust me Cyrus has discribed it in a decent way, you should have heard my father. You would have thought another DC rolls had taken place.
Yeah the design does look like DC was involved!
Waiting eagerly for the next first! I just hope its what I am thinking!

Most Viewed