Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 00:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

oh lucky guys, envy on you.

I remember the BMW driving event I participated at Aamby Valley. But I really missed this event. My friend & myself had a plan to attend this event too. But I had to skip away at the last moment as I'm a bit held up with the completion of one of my project. And at last my friend also couldn't participate as the event was post poneded & he had a pre scheduled abroad trip.
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:08   #17
v10
BHPian

Some from my side

Old 23rd November 2008, 23:59   #18
BHPian

heyy abhishek, nice pictures buddy. completely forgot to click the pictures of the GTS.

PDK is Porsche Dual Clutch. though it spells PDK in the german version.
the 911 turbo's boost function is called the launch control.

I think it was my lucky day that day. We were just 9 of us, so were divided in 2 groups, yellow and green. in the yellow group were some big guns of the country who had flown in at the last minute. one of them owns the ariel atom, gallardo, nissan gt go name a few. lost in the slalom to him. he was pretty quick. his best time was 17.9 seconds and mine was 18.7 seconds :-(
When I got behind the wheel of the cayenne turbo, I was the only one in the car. and then while offroading, I got to drive both ways, to and fro. :-)
And I think because we had a small quorum, we were given rides in both the cayenne and 911 in the demo laps. Trust me for this when i say that the porsche instructors were fantastic. and to quote them "they have had a misspent childhood".
You have to see it to believe it the way the cayenne performed. Both off road and in the demo laps. Never thought the vehicle was so capable. I have found a new respect for the vehicle. It was almost keeping up with the 911 turbo.

we had a different schedule though. started off with off-roading in the cayennes, then the braking test which was mis-spelt as breaking test :-) in the 911 turbo, followed by slalom in a boxster S, then lunch, then handling of the cayenne GTS and 911 PDK. The GTS sounds amazing after about a couple of seconds in the normal mode and AMAZING right from the start in the sport mode.

@speedy
yes, the cayenne turbo indeed was quiet a handful. After off-roading, when we came back to the runway, the instructor asked me to floor the gas. and when I did, I got one of the best kick on the chest ever. To be honest, I hit the brakes before he asked me to. Never ever have I ever done that before in my life.
maybe because it was the first time I was bitten by the cayenne turbo.

p.s: the 911 turbo and cayenne turbo had almost had a mishap in the demo lap after me. and they both had to retire. made me wonder what are the car made of if with just a small stint with maybe their 80% of potential in use, they break down.

@v10, great pictures buddy.
when were you there??

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th November 2008 at 02:34. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:09   #19
BHPian

Well Guys I am back from the PWRS. It was awesome as agreed. I drove there in my 993.

The cars were awesome - very powereful - very well behaved - incredible abilities - but BORING. I've driven Porsches for many years - and believe me the real Porsche feeling is missing in these cars.

When you drive a 911 you can feel an immense sense of involvement - and it experience encompasses all your senses. These were all about insulation and gadgetary.

The best part of the experience was driving there and back in my 993. I am convinced now that my choice of investing in the older 911s has been correct - for me at least.

Here are some pictures of my car at the PWRS.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
...I think it was my lucky day that day. We were just 9 of us, so were divided in 2 groups, yellow and green. in the yellow group were some big guns of the country who had flown in at the last minute. one of them owns the ariel atom, gallardo, nissan gt go name a few. lost in the slalom to him. he was pretty quick. his best time was 17.9 seconds and mine was 18.7 seconds :-(
HAHA so he made it for the PWRS. I was told he was going to skip it, but i guess the need for speed and an excuse was enough. He is a very good driver and he has an excellent launch too. The times also speak for themselves. I hope you did have a word with him.

The Porsche instructors are very good. Last year a friend of mine had gone for it and just could not stop raveing about their skills. My fathers friend has the Cayenne S and that thing packs quite a punch. So the turbo definately would Have the G force hitting you harder. Brakeing early is a common thing that happens when it is your first time behind the wheel of a car. I dont blame you, as you need to build the confidance as well. The cars handle different and with the power you do feel a bit scared and like to be careful.

What do you mean by mishap. As in both crashed or mechanical failure.? Sometimes pushing the car all the time and with everyones different driveing styles a heavy toll is payed by the vehicle. I am sure they must have had the cars up and running in no time.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th November 2008 at 14:32. Reason: Please dont quote an entire large post unless necessary, it makes reading painful for our small-screen and mobile users.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
....PDK is Porsche Dual Clutch. though it spells PDK in the german version.
the 911 turbo's boost function is called the launch control.

I think it was my lucky day that day. We were just 9 of us, so were divided in 2 groups,...

Huh? The launch control is when you turn of traction control, press the clutch , rev to 5k rpm in first gear and pop the clutch.
The turbo boost as per my knowledge and as per the Porsche website , and I quote :

"Maximum torque is a phenomenal 620 Nm, rising to 680 Nm with the overboost function in the optional Sport Chrono Package Turbo."

So I guess by "Boost function" you mean the overboost , where as the Launch control is a different concept.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th November 2008 at 14:31. Reason: Please dont quote an entire large post unless necessary, it makes reading painful for our small-screen and mobile users.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:50   #22
BHPian

They probably "retyred'. The surface on the Aamby valley strip is very bad and eats tyres. The demo laps are tyre eaters!!
Old 24th November 2008, 18:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty dog View Post

The cars were awesome - very powereful - very well behaved - incredible abilities - but BORING. I've driven Porsches for many years - and believe me the real Porsche feeling is missing in these cars.

The best part of the experience was driving there and back in my 993. I am convinced now that my choice of investing in the older 911s has been correct - for me at least.
Shucks!!
And I was hoping that u might upgrade to the current generation and might want to sell your 993
Old 26th November 2008, 16:47   #24
BHPian

@salty dog

dude where are the pictures of ur babe??
Old 27th November 2008, 09:28   #25
BHPian

For some reason I am unable to upload the pictures onto the thread. I'd be greatful if someone esle could do it for me. I could send you a couple if you can provide me your e mail address.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Posting the pictures on behalf of Salty Dog. His Joy the 993.
Attached Thumbnails
PWRS : Porsche World Road Show 2008-porsche_1.jpg  

PWRS : Porsche World Road Show 2008-porsche.jpg  

Old 27th November 2008, 12:51   #27
BHPian

Thank you Speedy. I've sent some to Samyak as well - I hope he is able to post them too.

At the PWRS - I came across very very few real Porsche fans. Most were just well heeled folks out to buy a snob car.

Also - Porsche - in addition to performance capabilities - is equally about beauty.

I heard much about Launch Control and Suspension managment etc. at the show but little about body lines - styling - design etc.

On that count I do hold the view that 993 remains the most beautiful 911 ever - biased as the view might be.

The bland bloated 911s of today appear to have lost so much of the original Porsche gene pool.

I'd like to hear from people who have older 911s.

Thanks very much again speedy.
Old 27th November 2008, 13:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Your Welcome Salty Dog. I would glad to post them as well.

Yes comming to the point here. As you have mentioned, most of the people today do not understand the car. All they want to know is how exclusive it is and what is the power and price. I have hardly seen anyone wanting to understand the performance or the design of the car. It might look ugly and not perform well but has sold only 2 peices and they want it. I know someone who wanted a car cause it was in the higher end of the spectrum. Why because it would be topic to brag about.

I do agree with you the 993 is a very beautiful car and the body lines seem timeless. I prefer it to the 911 standing besides yours. My uncle has a 78 or 84 model 911 and she is a looker. Another person i know has a 1968 911 and she is a killer. These are the cars you can keep admireing without getting bored or looseing interest.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:14   #29
BHPian

are these cars in Mumbai speedy?
Old 27th November 2008, 14:35   #30
Team-BHP Support

Nice pics Salty!

The car looks great, how about starting a new thread about her? Tell us where and how you got her and what its like to own a 993.

I dont know too much about the older porsches, but is that front lip stock, an accessory or aftermarket?

To be honest, when you said you had a 993 i was hoping that it would be the black 993 (or was it a 964?) turbo i had seen about 4-5years back. That car was absolutely stunning! Any idea about its whereabouts?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th November 2008 at 14:37.

Most Viewed