Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 15:11   #16
BHPian

Hey speedy, this caterham replica car had RTO trouble later on. This guy had advised me against it when i called him to fabricate a similar thing for me. He said it required a whole set of RTO permissions which is impossible to get.

You might make a replica without any permissions and never get caught.

I have just got made a Royal Challenge branded car out of a maruti swift from a delhi modifier, never took any RTO permissions and will use this car for Royal Challenge promotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
You have them dime a dozen abroad. I believe if you have a one off then there is no issues. My friend has built a car( Caterham/ Lotus 7) replica. He bought and used a 118NE chasis and engine plates for the car. There was no greasing of palms involved. The car was only tranfered to his name and whatever taxes were involved was cleared.

I would have to check on that. It would depend on weather it is brought in as personal item or normal channel.

It is very possible. Will discuss further when we talk.

Last edited by Benson : 25th November 2008 at 15:17.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Hey speedy, this caterham replica car had RTO trouble later on. This guy had advised me against it when i called him to fabricate a similar thing for me. He said it required a whole set of RTO permissions which is impossible to get.

You might make a replica without any permissions and never get caught.

I have just got made a Royal Challenge branded car out of a maruti swift from a delhi modifier, never took any RTO permissions and will use this car for Royal Challenge promotions.
Yes you do require RTO permissions. If you go through the rules it clearly states that the wheels have to be inside the body. They cannot be outside the body. Hense the trouble. He would have refused as he did not want to make a third or mass produce it. The legalities of which are imense This is also the case for a genuine factory product like the ATOM and is illegal on our roads.

A branded car is different from replicateing a whole car. Yes there are cars like the Red Bull cars that are used for promotions. These you do not require permissions as they are created from regular cars.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:05   #18
BHPian

How do jeeps get over this issue then? the front fenders barely cover the wheels?
Old 25th November 2008, 18:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
How do jeeps get over this issue then? the front fenders barely cover the wheels?
Prabhu jeeps are the body with the fenders juting out.. These are only covers over the tyre, the body is a seperate peice, if you understand what i am trying to say.
Old 25th November 2008, 19:36   #20
BHPian

Chinkara ?

Chinkara have an 'AC Cobra' replica in their line-up right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
If you go through the rules it clearly states that the wheels have to be inside the body. They cannot be outside the body. Hense the trouble.
Isn't Chinkara's 'Lotus 7' replica road legal ?

Most Viewed