Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 17:52   #106
BHPian

Okay guys, so was fortunate enough to attend the AMG event. As we entered the DLF golf course where it was being held, we encountered a rather saddening site of a SLK55 AMG crashed on the side barrier. Apparently the car was handed over to an unexperienced 17 year old who lost control of the car, therefore, ruining it for all of us as we didn't get to drive the SLK55 AMG. Despite the disappointment, i got to drive the SL63 AMG.

First things first, thoroughly bowled over by the exhaust notes of the SL63. The interiors presented to us were in light beige and wood trim, which i feel catered more towards and older generation, they had a similar Grey SL63 with the black and carbon fiber trim which spoke to me. The initial feel of the car is a bit heavy and the power feels a lot linear. The stretch where we got to push the car was not long enough to really belch out some impressive top speeds, however, reaching 160 was a piece of cake. What made my day driving the SL63 was definitely the paddle shift. The shift is quite responsive and was fun stretching it all the way to 8000 RPM. What made this car fun was while braking as you shift to a lower gear the exhaust gives out a rather spine tingling roar! almost like its angry that you are slowing it down! An added feature which i feel Mercedes got right is the hard top convertible, the switch hardly takes about 20 seconds and gives you best of both worlds without compromising on looks.

Due to the frequent use of the CLS63 and the SL63 both cars needed to be given ample time to rest as one could smell the tyres and brakes needed to cool down as well. Altogether the event was fun, however, a little unorganized as we only had the SL63 and the CLS63 to test drive and due to the long line of people waiting to drive each car, we only got our hands on the SL63... which was nevertheless worth the wait. The event had all its AMG models on stand. Although we just got a chance to start the car and rev it a bit and monitor the interiors, the ones that really stood apart were the C63 AMG and the SL63 AMG. Friends you have to hear the C63 exhaust in person, videos do not do it justice, hearing is believing. The Sl63 AMG, while being a beauty to look at, the price tag pinches a lot. Having driven an M3, felt the M3 was faster at reaching a top speed within that stretch than the SL63. I've blabbed enough, will upload the pics soon!

special thanks to accordmasters.

Cheers!
Old 30th November 2008, 17:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

Well got a nice drive in the Black CLS 63..drool drool. The car pins you down in your seat, with all the hard driving & hard braking @ 160, the car showed very good "manners".

I had not imagined the kind of power the damn thing delivers. Will post some pictures a bit later. Visually the SL 55 looked appealing, but when you compare it with the 63's you keep trying to find the power. The exhaust note of the 55 was just a whine in front of the aggressive grunt of the 63's

WOW is an expression which may well define my feeling. The exhaust note of the 63 will ring in my ears you quite a few days yet !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 30th November 2008 at 18:03.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:15   #108
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abix View Post
Okay guys, so was fortunate enough to attend the AMG event. As we entered the DLF golf course where it was being held, we encountered a rather saddening site of a SLK55 AMG crashed on the side barrier. Apparently the car was handed over to an unexperienced 17 year old who lost control of the car, therefore, ruining it for all of us as we didn't get to drive the SLK55 AMG. Despite the disappointment, i got to drive the SL63 AMG.

First things first, thoroughly bowled over by the exhaust notes of the SL63. The interiors presented to us were in light beige and wood trim, which i feel catered more towards and older generation, they had a similar Grey SL63 with the black and carbon fiber trim which spoke to me. The initial feel of the car is a bit heavy and the power feels a lot linear. The stretch where we got to push the car was not long enough to really belch out some impressive top speeds, however, reaching 160 was a piece of cake. What made my day driving the SL63 was definitely the paddle shift. The shift is quite responsive and was fun stretching it all the way to 8000 RPM. What made this car fun was while braking as you shift to a lower gear the exhaust gives out a rather spine tingling roar! almost like its angry that you are slowing it down! An added feature which i feel Mercedes got right is the hard top convertible, the switch hardly takes about 20 seconds and gives you best of both worlds without compromising on looks.

Due to the frequent use of the CLS63 and the SL63 both cars needed to be given ample time to rest as one could smell the tyres and brakes needed to cool down as well. Altogether the event was fun, however, a little unorganized as we only had the SL63 and the CLS63 to test drive and due to the long line of people waiting to drive each car, we only got our hands on the SL63... which was nevertheless worth the wait. The event had all its AMG models on stand. Although we just got a chance to start the car and rev it a bit and monitor the interiors, the ones that really stood apart were the C63 AMG and the SL63 AMG. Friends you have to hear the C63 exhaust in person, videos do not do it justice, hearing is believing. The Sl63 AMG, while being a beauty to look at, the price tag pinches a lot. Having driven an M3, felt the M3 was faster at reaching a top speed within that stretch than the SL63. I've blabbed enough, will upload the pics soon!

special thanks to accordmasters.

Cheers!
ya even i wanted to drive that one but i drove the slk200 a month or two back and since then i just hate that car.. its like a cheap toy!! wanted to see if the slk55 was really that much better..

btw as far is 17 is concerned, i'm 17 too and have driven the sl63, sl500, 911 turbo, caymans, etc.. just waiting for a TD of the R8!

no the sl63 is faster and almost double the price... but the white m3 looked hot!!
I'm not a fan of the new SL's shape especially those headlights which bulge out like the accord.. Still love the 2003-2007 SL's..
Old 30th November 2008, 18:38   #109
BHPian

Hey V10, im sure you've driven these exotics and know how to control, no offence, not saying that every 17 year old is unexperienced, but you saw for yourself what that kid had done.
Old 30th November 2008, 19:13   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice event. Good cars. Enjoyed myself somewhat.
Old 30th November 2008, 19:22   #111
Senior - BHPian

The Amg Show Gurgaon

I am enclosing some pictures of the machines which once driven are another thing altogether.
# SL 55
# SL 55
# The E Class with the 6.3 L monster !
# C 63, good package but did not like the rear quater.
# S 63, I think that is what it is badged
# CLS 63 - the one I drove to my heart's content.

The sound of those exhausts is (no words to express)

Sorry for the picture quality, all in all an exciting event !!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-dscn1191.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-dscn1192.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-dscn1193.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-dscn1194.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-dscn1195.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-dscn1196.jpg  

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 30th November 2008 at 19:27.
Old 1st December 2008, 09:51   #112
BHPian

The the CL and C AMGs are too good from the given lot.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:36   #113
Team-BHP Support

Am surprised they even allowed underaged drivers to handle the cars without understanding whether they are capable. Not everyone is a Lewis Hamilton. AMG should have set a criteria of age and mandatory licence

Quote:
btw as far is 17 is concerned, i'm 17 too and have driven the sl63, sl500, 911 turbo, caymans, etc.. just waiting for a TD of the R8!
V10 - I hope you have fun on a track or somewhere legal

Last edited by ajmat : 1st December 2008 at 10:37.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:55   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

ajmat, there was no paperwork, no liability form, no temp insurance and no, nobody even asked you for a license.

Here's some of the most powerful cars available. Have some juice, take a photo, here's the key - go, enjoy.

How stupid that they let an underage driver destroy a good machine and prevent the enthusiasts from driving it.

Later they called the poor kids father and sunaoed the kid till he cried. If I was the Dad I would have sued the damn organisers. Give a kid a toy, he'll play with it won't he?
How could they hand over the keys to a young boy who had no license/ He is immature and thought of it as a game. The organisers however were older, mature and the risk was theirs.

What if something had to happen to that kid?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st December 2008 at 10:56.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:52   #115
Senior - BHPian

+1 It was ridiculous to offer a drive to underage & unlicensed kids. They were not only endangering the lives of those in the car but also of those standing around.

Those cars had insane power, in the hands of an inexperianced driver, it was a reciepe for disaster. Thank God no one was hurt.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:55   #116

Ricky, nice pics..

Also, did you for a moment get scared when you heard the C63 being revved for the first time..I jumped out of my skin when the car came for the Performance show the night before the show startrd at around 12am or so.
Old 1st December 2008, 12:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ricky, nice pics..

Also, did you for a moment get scared when you heard the C63 being revved for the first time..I jumped out of my skin when the car came for the Performance show the night before the show startrd at around 12am or so.

The roar of the engines is another thing...it is the most appealing thing in the car other than the monster performance. The heat from the brakes could be felt till a few feet , even the rubber smelt good

Glad you like the pictures

Cheers
Old 1st December 2008, 12:31   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The roar of the engines is another thing...it is the most appealing thing in the car other than the monster performance. The heat from the brakes could be felt till a few feet , even the rubber smelt good

Glad you like the pictures

Cheers
I have experienced that before...ahem ahem!! Ill pretend i dint type that now.

BTW, any pictures of the crashed SLK?
Old 1st December 2008, 17:06   #119
BHPian

Sl65 Amg

Check out this CL65 AMG by Fab Design.
Built to just burn rubber.

Regards,

Randeep
Attached Thumbnails
AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-wednesday-night-062.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-wednesday-night-063.jpg  

AMG teaser: Mercedes AMG Models: SL63, E63, C63, S65, SLK55, CLS63-sl65.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th December 2008 at 14:58. Reason: Correction to model.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I have experienced that before...ahem ahem!! Ill pretend i dint type that now.

BTW, any pictures of the crashed SLK?

The crashed car was covered with a car cover till a crane came & removed it out of sight. No pics.

Honestly I would not have taken any pics even if I saw that

Cheers

Most Viewed