Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 20:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
A similar truck came and took my neighbours car away.The exhaust tip and the front bumper scraped the ground while the car was being pulled towards the platform.
That's the problem with Mondial Assistance trucks. Trying to have one size fit all. It is tough to digest having paid for a good recovery service and then have the bumper of your car & the tail pipe being scraped.

It would be great to have professional recovery agents/service providers who can handle the car as you would do. Regarding the BMW trucks (I posted this info in some another post as well), these trucks are designed using the parameters for all the beamers available from Z4 to LWB 7 Series (F02). Pray that other manufacturers also take a note.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
I am not completely sure, but I guess even Audi India has an agreement with Mondial India for on-road breakdown assistance, at least that's what I've heard here in Chandigarh.Have seen a similar truck parked at one of the filling stations here.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
I think all big companies have arrangements with them. Like one of my friends skoda Laura broke down and a similar truck came to take the car to the Krishna Autos.
Old 28th November 2008, 02:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
What happens when the traffic police have to tow away a car with permanent AWD?
Technically, the cars are first broken into, and shifted into neutral before towing. A permanent AWD can be towed in neutral on two wheels (provided it's a manual). But the remaining two wheels would keep counter-rotating in the air, owing to the gear type...

Besides, the cops would never use a flat-bed, owing to hiring/maintenance costs. And hey, it's not like they'd give a damn if they couldn't break into your A6 before towing it....what's a few lacs for repairing AWD tranny when compared to a few hundred bucks of parking fine/towing charges, eh...that's law for youse...
Old 28th November 2008, 03:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

roll-backs

The most common name for this type of recovery vehicle is a "roll-back". The whole bed rolls to the street level. There is a strong winch which just pulls the vehicle onto the bed at that point. The winch is strong enough to gather accident damaged cars that are missing a wheel or two. After the vehicle is winched onto the bed it is secured with chains. Then the bed is lifted (same winch) back on top of the chassis and away they go. This eliminates damage to tranny, 4x4 components, axles etc that might occur if the the vehicle was towed using its own wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Honey....I Broke The Mercedes!!!!-roll-back-tow-truck.jpg  

Old 28th November 2008, 14:03   #35
BHPian

it looks like the car broke down. but still its hard to beleive mercs breakin down like this

but hey is it possible that the owners couldnt afford to pay the emi's. the banks agent have the right to take away the vehicle after default dont they?

especially economy going down and with the stock market crashing. who knows?
Old 28th November 2008, 16:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
but hey is it possible that the owners couldnt afford to pay the emi's. the banks agent have the right to take away the vehicle after default dont they?

I can see where this thread is leading to...LOCKED !
Old 29th November 2008, 19:37   #37
BHPian

A few days back in New Delhi i saw one of these trucks towing a hyundai santro.Supposedly the santro had parked infront of an embassy's gate or something.

The embassy people must have called for the truck.
Old 1st December 2008, 23:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
it looks like the car broke down. but still its hard to beleive mercs breakin down like this

Merc usually has had a bad track record when it comes to reliability, a relative of mine in America, had a Mercedes ML it spent 90% of its life in the service garage!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks