Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 11:59   #1591
BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

It's a big loss to the parents who lost their kids. Rich or poor, kids would have been the shape of their dreams and see life being snuffed out in this fashion is truly tragic. We all love powerful cars and would be over the moon to own these beasts. I have two points to make 1) Improve our License test standards. We get to drive in the old rickety tata sumo our tempo trax or a battered old maruti to get our LMV/MCWOG/MCWG license. Should we not have a more intense test of our driving capabilities to drive these behemoths? 2)Most of us agree that our roads are not built for such powerful cars. Why not limit the number of such cars and additionally bring in electronic speed limiters to keep it at 100KMPH or the max speed limit legally allowed in India?

We in India like to drive the way we find is right and not always according to the rule book. Ideally, we should have a rigorous re-examination when our license is due for renewal and the difficulty should increase as we age.

As a final thought, it becomes slightly emotional for me every time I read about loss of life unnaturally. I wish the guy had controlled his urge to reach home fast, I wish this had not occurred at all.

RIP Nishit and Raja Ravi Varma.
theroadrunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 13:29   #1592
BHPian

I just feel parents above all should be responsible enough and not let their dear sons/ daughters drive such powerful cars or motorbikes. Status symbol is not as meaningful when you lose a child!
Old 17th May 2017, 15:51   #1593
BHPian

Quite a bit of discussion & one major culprit not mentioned. SLEEP. According to some posts, the driver was a Teetotaller. But driving when your sleepy is as good as drunk driving. May be he had too much to work that day & while returning back home he fell asleep with his foot on the A Pedal. And before he could regain attention, they were already too fast to stop.

Regards

Pawan
Old 17th May 2017, 22:34   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian

Falling asleep at the wheel is indeed a killer, but I find the acceleration thing a bit too far to stretch the imagination.

And, falling asleep when driving is as unforgivable as any other reason for ramming a concrete pillar. It is not an excuse.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:01   #1595
BHPian

In the video the car appears exactly at 2:40:54 and crashes exactly at 2:40:55. He might even have crashed 1/10th of a second before 2:40:55.

I have been to the accident spot and measured the distance between the 2 points, i.e point where the car appears in the video and the point where it crashes. The distance is roughly 40 meters. Covering 40 meters in 1 second translates to a speed of 140. Since he crashed slightly before the 55 second mark he might have even been doing 160. 40 meters in 0.9 seconds is 160kmph

Last edited by bowser : 18th May 2017 at 09:20.
bowser is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 11:04   #1596
Senior - BHPian

I just saw this thread and checked the youtube video link, there I stumbled on another video showing India Today News clip that the same driver and vehicle (G-Wagen) was challaned earlier THRICE for over-speeding.

Does it indicate some pattern? We had Delhi Mercedes incident where the Minor getting regular over-speeding challans finally ended up killing a pedestrian.

What should a parent do if their kids regularly get over-speeding challans? Ignore, use the contacts for cancelling the challans or talk to their children?
Old 18th May 2017, 12:14   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
What should a parent do if their kids regularly get over-speeding challans? Ignore, use the contacts for cancelling the challans or talk to their children?
I am not generalizing, but are we of the opinion that parents who can afford shiny cars for their kids will have the intention to monitor their wrong doings when there is a price of everything in India ?

Gordon Ramsey (yes... that chef) has made a clear statement in public that he is not going to leave any of his savings to his kids. They have to earn it themselves and live with it. He makes them use public transport to know the value of money.

Its not like the cops will come running behind us to clear our challans like in other countries or cognizance of same is taken into consideration if they ever get entangled in court cases. Judgement is influenced by past wrong doings or running against the law in other countries.

With power comes great responsibility, which in our scenario is never appreciated and options to misuse is explored.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:23   #1598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
...What should a parent do if their kids regularly get over-speeding challans? Ignore, use the contacts for cancelling the challans or talk to their children?
Public safety is too important a topic to be left to parental discretion. While it's pretty obvious that a lack of parenting is the root cause of most such issues, it's the non-uniformity of law enforcement that needs to change.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:56   #1599
Distinguished - BHPian

G63 was doing 146 kph at the time of crash say cops.

SOurce : http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...kmph-cops.html
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:01   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Too high a speed on city roads. When will people learn to tame their aggressive driving instincts.
Person who wrote this article mentions Airbags as Air ballons
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:35   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Covering 40 meters in 1 second translates to a speed of 140.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Great detective work, error of only 4% !

I think that will lay to rest claims of wet road, sleepiness, lapse of judgement etc.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:49   #1602
BHPian

That was one hell of a crash. At such speeds I wonder how the metro pillar sustained to stay unshaken. This speed is normally enough for the pillar to collapse ..
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:51   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
That was one hell of a crash. At such speeds I wonder how the metro pillar sustained to stay unshaken. This speed is normally enough for the pillar to collapse ..
I am actually glad that it did not collapse. Wouldn't say much about the quality of the metro construction and considering the mass population of the city will be riding on trains where the tracks run and are supported by those columns in the near future. A structural column like that should definitely be able to withstand a G63 ramming into it at high speed, it should also be able to withstand earthquake tremors of certain magnitudes as well. .
Fullrevs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 09:52   #1604
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Shreyas Gowda for sharing!

Quote:
On a late Saturday night, I was heading home from my friend's birthday party and came across a Lamborghini Huracan crashed around majestic. When I asked people around how this happened, I was informed that the Lamborghini hit an Indica. Not sure how far it was true.
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-lamboz2.jpg

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-lamboz.jpg

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-lamboz3.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 17:58   #1605
EP.
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Shreyas Gowda for sharing!

In which city did this happen?