Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 11:40   #1636
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

News reports have correctly identified the Dzire to be at fault for setting up the chain of events that led to the accident. Two points stood out for me;
1. The Eeco seems to suffer from the same high GC stability issue the Omni had (even taking momentum and impact angle into account, i doubt any other MUV such as Ertiga, would have had the same effect)
2. The Lambo sure has fantastic road grip and stability! I was amazed how it could recover from the sharp turn so fast.

All in all, this was an avoidable accident if only the Dzire guy had overtaken carefully.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 12:38   #1637
BHPian

Re: Noida Accident Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Actually, all 3 are at fault - the Lambo, the Eeco & the Dzire.

Defensive driving entails not being in somebody's blind spot. If you notice, the Eeco is in the Lambo's blind spot and splitting lanes. The Lambo has also not given itself enough room for evasive action in case of anything untoward on the road.

The Dzire definitely caused the accident & is probably about 70% to blame.

Do I always drive defensively as above? No! But I do try & ensure that I am not in anybody's blind spot.
I agree that the Eeco as not sticking to its lane but I don't see what the Lambo driver did wrong. You said the Lambo did not give itself room for evasive action, so does that mean that the Lambo should have sped ahead to stay clear of vehicles approaching from behind? If anything, the vehicles behind the Lambo are responsible for maintaining a safe distance to it, while overtaking.

And how do you know if you are in someone's blind spot when driving, and how do you avoid that from happening. Is that even possible?

Maybe off topic but one thing I always do while overtaking a vehicle is try and get a glimpse of the driver in his side mirror, if it's present. That can tell you if the person is paying attention or is distracted by something, is on the phone etc. Basically, it gives you an idea of whether the driver ahead is safe to overtake. It's not fool proof but it helps. If you are still unsure, honk and check for the reaction of the driver, before making your move.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 12:58   #1638
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the Lambo/Dzire/ Eeco accident, I can't seem to find out any reason that prompted the Dzire guy to swerve into the Lambo's lane so suddenly. There was nothing in the lane ahead of him. It seems like he lost control. Possible reasons for losing control could be tyre / suspension failure or driver lapse (DUI?). After nudging the Lambo, the Dzire driver is unable to control the swerve and almost spins out himself and crashes into the divider.

The Eeco driver was driving too close to the Lamborghini and infact it looks like he was trying to overtake it!! That means the Lamborghini driver was driving so slowly in the middle lane that a Dzire and and an Eeco were trying to pass it! Driving slowly in the middle lane of an expressway is asking for trouble IMO.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th July 2017 at 13:00.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:04   #1639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Regarding the Lambo/Dzire/ Eeco accident, I can't seem to find out any reason that prompted the Dzire guy to swerve into the Lambo's lane so suddenly. There was nothing in the lane ahead of him. It seems like he lost control. Possible reasons for losing control could be tyre / suspension failure or driver lapse
Pure driver lapse or the Dezire would have ground to a halt somewhere. Chances are the driver was on the phone.

The Lambo was hogging th middle lane no doubt but unfortunately no one keeps a respectable distance either in a straight line or to the sides

The Lambo should be easy to trace when it comes in for repairs
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:05   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The Eeco driver was driving too close to the Lamborghini and infact it looks like he was trying to overtake it!! That means the Lamborghini driver was driving so slowly in the middle lane that a Dzire and and an Eeco were trying to pass it! Driving slowly in the middle lane of an expressway is asking for trouble IMO.
They were both trying to simultaneously overtake the lambo - I guess he was, for a change, law abiding and kept to the speed limit instead of gunning it to 180..200++ and leaving those two tincans sniffing his exhaust smoke.

Seeing a lambo going at a speed they could easily make / surpass, I guess they both decided to overtake and pass him, then boast to their friends "yaar I overtook a big fancy lambo today".
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:33   #1641
BHPian

Does it look like the Dzire guy was *overtaking* someone? I don't think so. It looked more like he was trying to intimidate the Lambo guy, at least to me.
I agree that the Lambo should've braked instead of swerving to the other side, but in an event like this the impulse reaction catches us.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 14:30. Reason: Taking the link out as the incident is already being dicussed in detail on same page
Old 10th July 2017, 13:40   #1642
BANNED

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Lamborghini Huracan involved in a Fatal accident in Noida. If the CCTV footage was not available, without a doubt Lamborghini driver would have been the reason for accident.

mohammedismail is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 13:44   #1643
Senior - BHPian

He was trying to force the lambo to slow down and cut into his lane / overtake that way. Indica cabbies in Bangalore have this bad habit, they'll gun their engines and nose a little into your lane - and if you slow down not wanting your paint scratched they'll cut in front of you and roar ahead. Every so often they miss and there's a scratch or fender bender. Looks like this fellow missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Does it look like the Dzire guy was *overtaking* someone? I don't think so. It looked more like he was trying to intimidate the Lambo guy, at least to me.
I agree that the Lambo should've braked instead of swerving to the other side, but in an event like this the impulse reaction catches us.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 14:31. Reason: Quoted post edited
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:08   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He was trying to force the lambo to slow down and cut into his lane / overtake that way. Indica cabbies in Bangalore have this bad habit, they'll gun their engines and nose a little into your lane - and if you slow down not wanting your paint scratched they'll cut in front of you and roar ahead. Every so often they miss and there's a scratch or fender bender. Looks like this fellow missed.
I fully agree here with Hserus and Pkulkarni. I would say 90 per cent fault lies with Dzire guy. I see it all the time. Some guys on their lesser bikes and cars just can't stand the sight of superbikes and supercars. They just have to overtake them at any cost to satisfy their egos. When I'm riding my lesser two-wheeler and lesser car, I give full respect to guys on superbike or supercar knowing fully well that I will only make a jackass of myself if try to get into a race with him. But I see some , especially youngsters, who kind of take it personal and try all kinds of antics trying to prove that they are no less important or whatever. Looking at Dzire's style of driving, it becomes apparent. He seemed to have no other reason than this to drive the way he did. "Poor" Lambo guy! I hope he isn't hauled in. It's easy to pin everything on him as it is at times like these that people's jealousy/dislike for rich and their supercars comes to the fore. BTW, for a Lambo driver, that guy was driving very sanely and even seemed to stop after that hit.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 14:42. Reason: typo
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:30   #1645
BHPian

Unfortunately the first few seconds are missing in the video. To me it looks like the Dzire was trying to overtake cars from the left and squeeze in between them and the Lambo at high speed.

Suddenly he realizes he's gonna crash in the divider and steered left sharply and collided with the Lambo. No fault of Lambo at all, he was minding his business driving in the middle lane.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:37   #1646
BHPian

The van was being driven ON the lane (on the line), not IN the lane.

If the van was being driven in the lane (which in India no one does) then the Lambo would have had enough space to move around a bit.

Thats what happens when make 5 lanes of 3 lanes.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:39   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Lamborghini Huracan involved in a Fatal accident in Noida. If the CCTV footage was not available, without a doubt Lamborghini driver would have been the reason for accident.
This was a test drive car on a test drive. Very unfortunate as the cab driver is 100% to blame for the incident and Lamborghini India has to pay the price. And a life was lost.
quickdraw is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:39   #1648
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
And how do you know if you are in someone's blind spot when driving, and how do you avoid that from happening. Is that even possible?
Yes, very much possible. In fact, you have given the answer yourself in the next paragraph.

Quote:
Maybe off topic but one thing I always do while overtaking a vehicle is try and get a glimpse of the driver in his side mirror, if it's present. ...
When checking the mirror of the other vehicle, if you can see the eyes of the other driver, that means he can see you and you are not in his blind spot. If you can't see the driver's eyes in the mirror, you are in his blind spot.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:51   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
When checking the mirror of the other vehicle, if you can see the eyes of the other driver, that means he can see you and you are not in his blind spot. If you can't see the driver's eyes in the mirror, you are in his blind spot.
Trucks have a huge blind spot behind them. I've seen this on British Trucks: If you can't see my mirror, I can't see you.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 15:12   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post

No great trick - you know where your blind spots are. You ensure that you are not in similar spots with respect to the other car. Basically, avoid driving alongside or just behind, on the other lane.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks