Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 18:48   #1921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
Let us not so quickly forget the Polo GTI incident in the said Hyderabad, where even after a fatality was caused, the driver had been let go after blaming the design of the flyover. Which comparatively is a MUCH more severe case than this. There is little that the police is able to do when there are certain orders from higher ups.

The guy was not let off , the case is in court and the guy is giving lot of arguments to postpone the arrest . His license is cancelled already
anumod is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 20:09   #1922
BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Well, I thought we were better than
  • Bigger vehicle is always at fault
  • More expensive car is always at fault

But looking at the flood of comments and hatred here even before the 2nd video popped up is totally disturbing. These are the things people have said so far
  • Inexperienced idiot - Yeah, statistics have revealed that experienced smart folks have never caused an accident that was totally avoidable.
  • He was probably fiddling with his mobile. Wait what? How was that information beamed down to you!
  • He crossed the solid white line. Umm, yeah, he should probably be hanged for that I guess. Not defending him but if we removed everyone who has never crossed a solid white line while driving in India from this forum, we will have zero members. Zero. And that's not only because we don't follow rules, it's also because sometime the people who authorize and paint these lines are complete idiots.
  • He was trying to overtake when there was no space. He had brake lights all lit up in the first video. He was probably trying to stop but could not stop in time because he was very likely over-speeding.
  • Others cars could stop in time, why couldn't he. Umm because he was not the first in line and saw the danger a little too late? If we go by that logic, nobody would have rammed anyone from rear, ever.

Again, I am not defending that bloke. I am just trying to not become the guy who sees an accident on the roadside and goes like "Ye Fortuner wale ne hi bike ko thoka hoga.. galti isi ki hai.. what a show off" (This Fortuner driver must have hit that biker. It's obviously his fault).

Last edited by bordeaux : 8th March 2020 at 20:20.
bordeaux is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 20:36   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post

But looking at the flood of comments and hatred here even before the 2nd video popped up is totally disturbing. These are the things people have said so far
  • Inexperienced idiot - Yeah, statistics have revealed that experienced folks have never caused an accident that were totally avoidable.
  • He was probably fiddling with his mobile. Wait what? How was that information beamed down to you!
  • He crossed the solid white line. Umm, yeah, he should probably be hanged for that I guess. Not defending him but if we removed everyone who has never crossed a solid white line while driving in India from this forum, we will have zero members. Zero. And that's not only because we don't follow rules, it's also because sometime the people who authorize and paint these lines are complete idiots.
  • He was trying to overtake when there was no space. He had brake lights all lit up in the first video. He was probably trying to stop but could not stop in time because he was very likely over-speeding.
  • Others cars could stop in time, why couldn't he. Umm because he was not the first in line and saw the danger a little too late? If we go by that logic, nobody would have rammed anyone from rear, ever.

Again, I am not defending that bloke. I am just trying to not become the guy who sees an accident on the roadside and goes like "Ye Fortuner wale ne hi bike ko thoka hoga.. galti isi ki hai.. what a show off" (This Fortuner driver must have hit that biker. It's obviously his fault).
Are you taking a contrary view for the sake of taking one?

So you question whether he was on his phone. Did you get some information beamed that he was not?

So its okay for him to cross the solid line because everyone who is on the road crosses the solid line.

So, you agree that he was probably speeding hence he could not stop in time like everyone. But we should give him full marks for trying to stop??

Why did he see the danger late? It was not foggy, rainy, smog , wet road, blind spots nothing. It was a God dam simple 2 way street with traffic on it. Where else would you look, up at the sky? What was more important to him that looking at the road in front of him while driving a super car.

It is his speed that got him, Period.

And I am not sure about you, but I know this from extensive personnel experience. Any super car or super bike if ridden within the street speed limits are virtually crash free. They have better control, they will stop at a dime and are very very safe. But if you push their limits at the wrong time and beyond your capability, they will bite.

I am reminded of this quote from Einstein ~
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”

Last edited by bigron : 8th March 2020 at 21:02.
bigron is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 21:18   #1924
BANNED

Hey guys, I'm originally from Kollam and this is a road I frequent since I stay at Trivandrum and commute homeward for the weekends. In fact I was caught up in the block caused by this wreck as I was heading home the same day, though I only could spot the Lorry and not the Mustang by the time I reached the exact spot, in fact I had no clue a Mustang was even involved in the wreck until I got home and saw the media being shared on WA and recognized the lorry.

So the reason why I addressed the guy as in inexperienced idiot in my earlier post is cause:

1. This is a very narrow section as well as junction of sorts and is slightly elevated on one end and considerably elevated on the other end i,e the end from which the Lorry was coming, hence it is risky to speed here not only for obvious reasons but also due to momentarily compromised visibility.

2. For the above reason itself the section in question has CONTINUOUS LINE marking, so there simply is no excuse for anyone trying to cross it even if they're using this road for the very first time. This is basic common sense, you respect the lane markings, no questions asked.

Saying so just to make it certain that this would not be seen merely as an instance of typecasting since the individual in question was driving a super-car.

The irony here is that a few meters from the wreck-site there is speed cam that has ceased to function for a while.

Almost a decade ago a bunch of college students had perished taking a Nissan Sunny up to 170+kmph speeds on this very road, I was told at the time that the accident happened so fast that the cops did not get time to inform the next jurisdiction about the car caught speeding in their jurisdiction which was quite some distance from the wreck-site.

P.S.

As for intentionally wrecking a car/motorcycle, the ideal procedure is to drop as much speed as you can and crash straight on, no swerving bullshit. The justification is that when you rear end a car straight on the speed of impact is considerably less than when you swerve on to the opposite lane and crash head on into oncoming traffic.

I believe they teach this in school, when two objects are moving in the same direction and the second object is faster than the first the the speed at which the second object overtakes the first is "Speed of Second Object - Speed of First Object", whereas if the objects are moving in the opposite direction then the speed of impact becomes "Speed of First Object + Speed of Second Object"

Drive Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th March 2020 at 11:08. Reason: typo
ashwinprakas is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:05   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Are you taking a contrary view for the sake of taking one?
Absolutely not. In fact, I'd like to admit that when I saw the first video, I was absolutely furious and was about to jump the gun. But few posts later, there was another video which clearly shows a truck backing on to the road at an angle where he will not have a tiniest sight of the road behind unless he had a co-driver guiding him, in which case the co-driver screwed up big time.

Quote:
So you question whether he was on his phone. Did you get some information beamed that he was not?
I am not sure where I mentioned, claimed or alleged that he wasn't on the phone. If it came out that way, I apologize. I only meant that we can't allege that he was on the phone as there are absolutely no clues indicating that.

Quote:
So its okay for him to cross the solid line because everyone who is on the road crosses the solid line.
Obviously it's not. But if it was done at the last moment to swerve, it can probably been seen as a measure to preserve life. If caught in such a scenario, I'd do exactly same. The only difference would be that I'd swerve it all way across on the dirt on to the other side.

Quote:
So, you agree that he was probably speeding hence he could not stop in time like everyone. But we should give him full marks for trying to stop??
Yes, it's fairly clear he was way above the safe speed for that stretch. But I don't get the purpose of the teasing tone here? I just observed that the brake lights were all lit and he was probably not in the middle of an overtaking maneuver. Again, I could be totally wrong.

Quote:
Why did he see the danger late? It was not foggy, rainy, smog , wet road, blind spots nothing. It was a God dam simple 2 way street with traffic on it. Where else would you look, up at the sky? What was more important to him that looking at the road in front of him while driving a super car.
Again, I am not sure if I deserve all this anger? He saw that danger late compared to the other two cars in front of him. And even for the first two cars it was sort of an emergency braking scenario. As we established earlier that he was way above the speed limit, the window of time he had compared to the other two cars was way way thin.

Quote:
It is his speed that got him, Period.
Exactly. Idiot, moron, smart, professional, human, alien(?), batman all must follow safe speeds. There are no two ways about it.

Quote:
And I am not sure about you, but I know this from extensive personnel experience. Any super car or super bike if ridden within the street speed limits are virtually crash free. They have better control, they will stop at a dime and are very very safe. But if you push their limits at the wrong time and beyond your capability, they will bite.
I have absolute zero experience of handling even sub-supercars, forget supercars. But I am pretty sure all cars, from Alto to G-Wagon, are virtually crash free when driven in street speed limits. I am sure that's how they determine speed limits.

Quote:
I am reminded of this quote from Einstein ~
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”
I totally agree with the quote. No doubts here. But I don't have a counter-wise-ass-quote. Need advance notice for these things.

Note: I am 100% sure that you are far more experienced with not just automotives but life as well. And none of the points above are intended to offend you. In case you feel the same, I render unconditional apology. My motive above here to take a step back, relax a little and think about it before we draw a conclusion. I am sure law will take its own time and the bloke will get the punishment he deserves. We are here to analyse the situation and learn from it and not to deliver the punishment.
bordeaux is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:19   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Note: I am 100% sure that you are far more experienced with not just automotives but life as well. And none of the points above are intended to offend you. In case you feel the same, I render unconditional apology. My motive above here to take a step back, relax a little and think about it before we draw a conclusion. I am sure law will take its own time and the bloke will get the punishment he deserves. We are here to analyse the situation and learn from it and not to deliver the punishment.
No offence taken at all my friend. We are all here to share our experiences.

Very often specially in cases of super bikes/super cars it is exactly what it appears to be. The rider/driver goes beyond his capability and ends up biting the dust.

But I must add that I have an inherent displeasure for people who drive/ride like they own the road without any regard for others on the street.

Last edited by bigron : 8th March 2020 at 22:21.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:45   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Might be the superlative feeling of having more power under the right foot could lead to "can overtake anyone at anytime" thoughts?
Quite the contrary. When you drive a supercar you are always on edge because you are controlling something that has the potential of a lot of destruction. So you exercise a lot more caution than with a regular car.

The trouble here is that this car has been sold in a state where there are hardly any roads to test even 40% of that power. This leads to a lot of frustration and this greenhorn was looking at every opportunity to release the pent up frustration of not being able to power the car down enough.

The Lamborghini driver also had two misses the second being the Baleno blissfully driving on the wrong side of the road.
Old 8th March 2020, 22:52   #1928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We are. I, for one, standby everything that I said, although, hey, none of were there, all of us may be proved wrong in some of all of our comments, but for now, they stand.

If you are used to the way that accidents are discussed on the forum, you will know that we do not just attack big/expensive/powerful cars and their drivers. However, yes... sometimes a bit of amateur sociology might get indulged in. The more somebody is or should be in a position to know better (by virtue of background, education, etc) the more they may get the sharp end of that. In my view, that is fair game.

There is usually an idiot/moron/etc involved in most accidents. It's been me a few times in my driving life.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:57   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
The guy was not let off , the case is in court and the guy is giving lot of arguments to postpone the arrest . His license is cancelled already
That’s good to know, but again it is not a very straightforward case wherein the driver is still conveniently making use of the loopholes in the system to postpone his arrest.

As you said that the Mustang case might’ve been handled better in Hyderabad, my point was that although it might be better, the situation is still not ideal, citing the Polo GTI example where justice is still not served.

This does not set a good example for people such as the driver of the “Toxin”. The issue is not limited to location or it’s police, but rather the drivers themselves.
Old 8th March 2020, 23:32   #1930
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...oid.chrome.jpg

The Audi R8 is next in line for a crash. Was returning from the airport and near the Airforce base, this thing whizzed past at around 180km/h estimated on a crowded road, flipping lanes, cutting it very close.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th March 2020 at 19:55.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 00:01   #1931
BHPian

On this incident, the issue whole and squarely is that of over speeding.. The driver did not have time or distance to stop. All other junk about swerving to the right to avoid hitting the car in front is crap. It was an undivided two lane highway and the road was relatively crowded. There was ample unpaved area on either side of the road if the driver's real intention was to avoid a crash. It looked like he wanted to act smart and overtake and over estimated his driving skill and ended up causing a major accident.

In a country like ours the drivers need to be extra vigilant. period. you never know what moron on this Luna will land up on the highway. However this does not absolve us of the responsibility to drive safe.

The instagram post of the Mustang Driver is to create a paper trail which he can use in court and documenting his PoV and get some sympathy in his circles..
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 00:17   #1932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
He did no such thing. Agreed that he tried to show off and didn't really understand his car, but there's no ham fisted left turn. In fact, there's a hint of opposite lock right when he realised he's swinging out.
But hey, his car, his fault, his behind in trouble. Deservedly.
Reports suggest that he had switched off his traction control and booted the throttle while turning the wheel to negotiate that bend at Minsk Square.

No way can a person be absolved for such behaviour. You do not turn off traction control on the city streets. Ever. Definitely not in an almost 600 horsepower supercar.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th March 2020 at 11:09. Reason: Typo
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 00:27   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't you see the contradiction I have highlighted? If what you say is true (and I think he just wanted to overtake) then that in itself is rash driving. Being alert to what is happening ahead and why is key to safe driving: all the time. And driving at speeds appropriate to the circumstances is also key. Key failures on his part.
Honestly don't see any rash driving on the Mustang's behalf. Two cars slammed their brakes and came to a stop in front of him, he had a diminished amount of braking distance, as well as compounding levels of reaction time going against his favor. Sure, the Mustang driver could have been driving more cautiously but at the end of the day, the truck is backing out against the flow onto the road and he needs to have done so in a more appropriate fashion therefore I feel the blame lies squarely onto the truck that was backing up.

PS: I personally don't much care for the tone in the Mustang driver's post, but this is what I feel regarding who was in the wrong.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th March 2020 at 00:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 00:44   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
On this incident, the issue whole and squarely is that of over speeding.. The driver did not have time or distance to stop. .
Thanks for summarizing it in simple words. I usually avoid making blunt statements on this forum or any other social media websites but this time I am going to make one : The driver of the Mustang is an inexperienced idiot. And I don't mind calling him one even if others think I am too harsh or judgemental.

I can't understand why some people are defending this guy who was over-speeding on a road where, let alone over-speeding, one should be driving with extreme caution. Over-speeding was the reason this happened, every other argument that follows this has no meaning really. Because he has a car that can do good speeds does not mean he can do such things on public roads. Second thing that this idiot missed is the distance (which is a result of speed, again) between his car and the car ahead should be just enough so that he can stop if the car ahead brakes suddenly and not changing lanes like Formula 1. It wasn't that difficult as three cars ahead of him stopped safely without piling up on each other. That sort of proves that the truck which was reversing was at fault, but not something that triggered a catastrophic chain reaction as the vehicles behind it were well prepared barring the Mustang.

Luckily the vehicle he hit was a truck, if it were a bike or even an Alto, he would not be writing a laughable post of absolution on Instagram.

Happy that read that the truck driver is recovering, but sad that this guy will take the wheel again defending himself with some non-sense.

Last edited by NiInJa : 9th March 2020 at 00:48.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 06:00   #1935
BHPian

After going through these posts again, I feel like I need to add a bit more to what was already said at the very beginning.

I'm not going to say much about the accident. A lot have been said already. Most, if not all of us agree that the Mustang driver is at fault, even if it's only to a certain degree.

Had it been just a video of the Mustang crashing, I probably would have stayed silent. We see drivers making even worse mistakes on a regular basis. The only reason that compelled me to comment was his IG story. It proved one thing - He believes he is not at fault. Hence he is also not remorseful of the damages he caused to the truck and it's occupants. His second post was not live when I made my comments. If anything, it only cemented the fact that he was one of those self-centered beings that believe the world revolves around him. Now we come across a lot of such people. Why am I so ticked off about him? Simple. We share the same roads in India. This time it was a truck. What if the next time he decides to make a 'self-sacrifice', I or anyone I know is on the opposite lane? You can never be sure of anything. Hence I called him out.

Somebody said that it is not our job to analyze his IG stories. Our job is just to analyze the crash. Well, I beg to differ. AFAIK this is a public forum and any matter that is within the framework of it's rules can be discussed here. I come from a state with 93.91% adult literacy rate as per Wikipedia. Unfortunately, I also believe that 93.91% of social media users from the very same state doesn't understand the difference between freedom of expression and public harassment. Want to prove me wrong? Go to his page and politely tell him that you think he is at fault. And then brace for what is about to hit you. There is something called 'pongala' in social media, named after what's happening right now at Attukal temple, Trivandrum. I bet you'll feel the full brunt of it. To sum it up, unfortunately or fortunately, this forum is one of the very few where one can have a sane conversations with difference of opinions. Sorry for going slightly off topic.

I've also read whatever he posted would've been after getting legal advice. I doubt it. The most common advice we hear after such an event is to shut up and lay low.

I'll also add two instances from my life where the attitude of someone at fault determined the end result of an accident. Both of these instances didn't involve supercars/bikes and none of them were major accidents.

1. A few months after I got my license, me and my friend were waiting for our order at a restaurant when the security came in and informed us that somebody hit my parked Ritz. He told me that person tried to drive away when confronted telling him that it was a minor damage. Thankfully, the security stopped him in time. When I got to the spot, the damage indeed was minor. But the uncle who is in his mid 50s was acting way too casually. Fortunately the restaurant was right next to a Maruti ASS and the SA immediately gave us a quote of 2000 to fix the damage. Even I was surprised by the quote but took that opportunity to teach the uncle some manners and stood my ground. The uncle eventually folded and paid the sum. I took the car to my regular service center and they said it could be fixed just by rubbing and polishing and no painting was required.

2. I was on my CBR in city streets when I heard a loud screeching sound from behind. The bike then started going out of control and the next thing I remember is falling to the oncoming lane. I got up and realized that I was rear ended by an i20. It was near a school and onlookers immediately helped in picking up the bike. Fortunately, the oncoming lane was clear and the only damage dealt to me was a slight tear in the jeans. The bike got some new scratches in the indicator, handle bar end, fairing and the silencer. I knew it was a clear case of distracted driving and the onlookers confirmed the same. The i20 driver was very apologetic and offered to take me to the hospital. The onlookers started chastising him and I could see that he truly was remorseful. After assessing the damage, I told him that I'm fine and to leave as I felt he learned his lesson and there was no point in dragging it any further.

What I mean to say from the above examples is that, had he accepted his mistake and acted accordingly, he wouldn't have received nowhere near as much flak as he did. Even our legal system is skewed towards principles of remorse and regret and not on the concept of 'eye for an eye'. We have seen people who committed even worse traffic violations walk out scot-free. There is no reason to believe that he will get a harsh punishment even if he accepted a mistake. On the contrary, by trying to shift the blame, he would've angered the others involved, reducing the chances of an out of court settlement. I just hope he realize his mistake sooner than later.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed