Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2021, 22:04   #2056
BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Ofcourse over speeding is one of the major factors, but the design of the road might also be a part culprit here.
I don't think the people designing the road had accounted for people travelling at over 200 kph on this road when the speed limit is closer to 60kph. Driving in an enthusiastic manner is all well and good but reaching speeds where you are unable to react to a slight sweeping turn is just asking to get hurt.
ChargedGarage is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 00:48   #2057
Senior - BHPian

I have been going through that stretch every Saturday for last 6 months every weekend. I was always doing less than 60kmph cos of speed limit so never experienced any unexpected turns or any discomfort. I think speed limit there is 50kmph. If someone over speed in city areas and that too almost the thrice of speed limit knowing very well the uncertainties Indian roads throw then I am sorry, I have no sympathies.

Last edited by harry10 : 17th May 2021 at 00:49.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 05:51   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I have been going through that stretch every Saturday for last 6 months every weekend. I was always doing less than 60kmph cos of speed limit so never experienced any unexpected turns or any discomfort. I think speed limit there is 50kmph. If someone over speed in city areas and that too almost the thrice of speed limit knowing very well the uncertainties Indian roads throw then I am sorry, I have no sympathies.
Totally agree with you on the no sympathies part. Pity, yes for their families but no sympathies. When one chooses to do 200kmph on a city road, you are voluntarily choosing to do the following:

1. Don't give a damn about the law.
2. Don't give a damn about the people sharing the road with them.
3. Don't give a damn about the fact that someone might be waiting at home.
4. Only thing you care about are your CHEAP THRILLS and nothing and no-one else.

I'm calling it CHEAP thrills is because people like these are CHEAP. Buying an expensive car or bike just needs money. Driving sensibly needs brain. One can make money but can't buy brains. If you have so much money then go rent a race track everyday and go over there but how dare you drive like this on city roads which is shared by so many other people. I'm just so thankful and happy that no one else was around at that time otherwise someone innocent might have been killed.

If anyone remembers the 1999 BMW Hit and Run case involving Sanjeev Nanda. 4 innocent people including 2 constables who were just doing their duty in the chilly winters of Delhi, died on the spot, has anyone thought after that year what about have happened to their families. And this Nanda got convicted and that too after 9 years of trials and that too for barely 2 years.

So ya no sympathy for people like these and dare I say good riddance.

Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th May 2021 at 08:04. Reason: Mod note attached.
Somu2009 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th May 2021, 09:23   #2059
BHPian

The speed limit is 50 KMPH actually, across all underpasses on this stretch. And the road design is good, unless someone is doing 100 KMPH.
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 10:19   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Am not sure how can you make from these pictures, are you are referring to the belts being in the buckle? Can’t this have done by someone after the crash? Why exactly- I won’t know.
We certainly can infer that to be the case.

If the seat belt was buckled when the crash happened, the first responders would have had to cut the seatbelt OR release it from the buckle manually - to get the injured person out of the seat. What do you think is the likelihood of someone putting it back on after rescuing the injured person?
Old 17th May 2021, 10:30   #2061
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Am not sure how can you make from these pictures, are you are referring to the belts being in the buckle? Can’t this have done by someone after the crash? Why exactly- I won’t know.
This is exactly what a criminal lawyer defending the accused (dead in this case) would say - nobody can prove/disprove 100% this statement, but we all know the truth.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th May 2021 at 10:48. Reason: You have been requested before to capitalise where required. Request you to adhere to it. Thanks.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 10:40   #2062
Team-BHP Support

If the members are inferring based on this picture alone, I am not entirely convinced. I see a lot of other things along with the buckle.

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-image_20210517_103551.png

I tried sitting on the 7 over the seat belt, and it's not comfortable. Instead, most guys will get some special tools to put that in the buckle, they don't keep the belt tied up like this.

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20210517-10.40.20-am.jpeg

There's a picture from that same post that shows the car being towed. If someone can find better-quality pictures, perhaps.

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-image_20210517_105406.png

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th May 2021 at 10:54.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 11:14   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
If the members are inferring based on this picture alone, I am not entirely convinced. I see a lot of other things along with the buckle.
Quote:
The vehicle was speeding, police said, adding that one of the passengers was thrown out of the vehicle because of the impact.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...022868813.html
Old 17th May 2021, 11:23   #2064
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
There are multiple different versions probably, this being the most common across different sources.

Quote:
a team reached the spot and somehow managed to take out the bodies from the vehicle. Gaurav's body was cut into two parts while his friend was rushed to a private hospital where doctors declared him brought dead."
Anyway, I don't think this will lead us anywhere. It's a fact that seat belts help and it will be plain foolish to trick the system. Perhaps, a mistake at my end to open the discussions again.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th May 2021 at 17:35. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 12:19   #2065
BHPian

OT but since we talked about roads being safe at legal speeds.

I am assuming Emergency vehicles dont need to follow these speed limits if they have the sirens on. So the design shouldn't just cater to 50kmph right?

Disclaimer: No idea what road we are talking about. Just curious about how the city designers go about when creating these.
akshaymahajan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 12:31   #2066
BHPian

All vehicles including Emergency vehicles are required to follow the prescribed speed limits unless the respective state government has issued notification under Section 138 of the Motor Vehicles act exempting such vehicles from following speed limits etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I am assuming Emergency vehicles dont need to follow these speed limits if they have the sirens on. So the design shouldn't just cater to 50kmph right?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th May 2021 at 17:35. Reason: spacing for improved readability
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 16:57   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
OT but since we talked about roads being safe at legal speeds.

You're absolutely right! Emergency vehicles are exempt.

Plus, I'm of the firm belief that the engineers still NEED to ensure that the roads are safe even if a driver is overspeeding. We know how it is in India, a sign board does not stop anyone. Just because it is illegal to drive above a certain limit does not mean we should stop endeavouring to make the roads safer for even higher speeds, even if those speeds are not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
All vehicles including Emergency vehicles are required to follow the prescribed speed limits unless the respective state government has issued notification under Section 138 of the Motor Vehicles act exempting such vehicles from following speed limits etc.
Therefore meaning emergency vehicles are exempt

It is not far fetched to assume that state governments have issued notifications of such a basic nature. In face, had it not been a lockdown in Delhi, I might have been able to procure some of these notifications to confirm.

Regardless, a quick Google tells me that as per The Motor Vehicles (Driving) Regulations, 2017, emergency vehicles are exempt under appropriate circumstances. (Regulation 27).

That being said, yes, even emergency vehicles have to be a careful on roads; but come on, are we seriously designing our roads - MAIN roads - in NCR in such a manner that they're safe for driving only upto the speed limit?

Old 17th May 2021, 18:03   #2068
BHPian

Actually, the emergency vehicles are not exempt by default.

This is apparent from news report from Kerala where the state has not exempt emergency vehicles from speed limits.

I pulled out speed limit orders issued by UP transport department, in the notification for Noida(Gautam Budh Nagar), there is specific exemption from the speed limits.

Intrestingly, the power to exempt is specially granted to States under Section 138.

Quote:
(d) the exemption from all or any of the provisions of this Chapter of fire brigade vehicles, ambulances and other special classes or descriptions of vehicle, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed;
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post

Therefore meaning emergency vehicles are exempt
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 18:12   #2069
Distinguished - BHPian

Drivers of emergency vehicles are (or should be) trained.

I had the experience of being a witness (for the prosecution) in a trial once, in London UK. We were waiting at the court, and word came that the trial had been shifted to another court, quite some distance away. We piled into a police van. One of the witnesses was a London taxi driver, he knew every shortcut in the city and navigated. It was not an emergency, the police driver broke no limits, did not pass any red signals, but other than that, I doubt that a faster trip across London by road would have been possible!

(Yes, lousy organisation by the prosecution to have its witnesses in the wrong place. Hey ho, we got there. And I had my first and only experience in the witness box).

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th May 2021 at 18:13.
Old 17th May 2021, 19:14   #2070
Team-BHP Support

It’s not unusual to see police and some other emergency vehicles at higher speed overseas. But, they must be in the official vehicles and sirens/ lights must be ON so that others are aware of the passing vehicles at higher speeds. They can also cross Red lights as soon as it’s safe.

It’s a good question to ask what’s the design speed of this stretch, I won’t have an answer but does our local authorities even think on such lines?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks