Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2015, 13:29   #1081
BHPian

News of a Porsche 911 being crashed is revolving around facebook. It's stated as below-
A 2012 Porsche 911 crashed on the Outer Ring Road at Hyderabad earlier this morning.
According to the owner, the car hydroplaned in a puddle of water before hitting a divider and catching fire.
Luckily, nobody was injured in this freak accident.

Source: Driver Cult facebook page

Saw a comment on the pic itself where a person claimed to watch this happen live. Visited his Facebook account and it was true. He had few pictures of the crash and he stated that the Porsche was doing 250km/h+ on the wet road.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-1428825575850.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-1428825585828.jpg  

Last edited by Swapnil_Alto : 12th April 2015 at 13:35.
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 17:05   #1082
BHPian

Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Found some more pictures got them as a forward on what's app what does hydroplaned mean exactly ?
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428838361.102063.jpg
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428838389.702341.jpg
Ferrariwell is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 18:14   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Found some more pictures got them as a forward on what's app what does hydroplaned mean exactly ?
Aqua/hydroplaned, he entered a puddle of water/liquid and lost contact with the road, and consequently, all grip. Pretty common, not necessary to be travelling at too high a speed.
mayankk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 18:33   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
This is aquaplaning. A thin film of water gets stuck in between the tires and the road surface, thereby making the vehicles lose traction.

batterylow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 03:03   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

You need water on the road and a speed of, if I remember correctly, around 80kph, which I suppose is not too high.

All you need to skid is a slippery, for example wet, surface: aquaplaning needs actual water between surface and rubber --- but, with monsoon-type cloudbursts, and poor road drainage, that is not so uncommon. Still, in my opinion, most people who claim to have aquaplaned didn't: they skidded. And yes, a skid can be just as disastrous.

When the sky opens up, and suddenly there is half an inch of water on the road, it might be called a "freak" accident, but the message is, in wet weather, go slow.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 07:37   #1086
BHPian

Here's the report on the Porsche 911 Turbo: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46901268.cms
Old 13th April 2015, 11:38   #1087
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm guessing this was an AWD? Nevertheless, 500 BHP + wet roads demand a conservative driving style.

Water generally accumulates on the side of the road. It's best to drive in the middle lane under such circumstances. The Mumbai-Pune expressway has innumerable puddles of water in the right-most lane when it's raining heavily. Impossible to drive in that lane.

Unfortunately, the 911's techno-wizardry (ESP etc.) would have limited use when the tyres have no contact with the ground.

R-I-P to a seriously wicked car.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:26   #1088
BHPian

Thats a 997 1st gen Porsche Turbo (pre 2008 in this particular case) and not a 2012. This particular car has had multiple owners and its very sad to see it in ashes.
doctorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 14:13   #1089
BHPian

If we look closely, the car was on the wrong side of the road. So it must have crashed through the divider and landed on the other side.

Good to know no-one was injured. This lunatic would have made matters worse if the car crashed onto some vehicle coming in the opposite side of the road.
Old 13th April 2015, 14:50   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
If we look closely, the car was on the wrong side of the road. So it must have crashed through the divider and landed on the other side.
The difference between aquaplaning and skidding is very real, but also, in a way, only academic: the car was very likely going in the "right" direction before the event. Pure-conjecture alert, but it is possible, even likely, that it spun.

Quote:
Good to know no-one was injured. This lunatic would have made matters worse if the car crashed onto some vehicle coming in the opposite side of the road.
It's quite likely that the car was not being driven with due regard to the road surface, weather conditions, etc. That's bad driving, but, assuming that it was on the wrong side of the road, it depends on the amount of the excess speed, etc, if we can call it lunacy.

I'm boringly regular in my reminders that accidents don't "just happen," very, very few of them are really "freak" and that the driver[s] of one or more of the vehicles in any "accident" are responsible, not the rain, fog, tree, wall or other stationary object. What I don't type, in all those posts, is my reminder to myself that I'm no angel and certainly not a highly-skilled driver.

I learnt about aquaplaning the hard way. I did not reduce my speed, which was probably over 80MPH, on a UK motorway, when it began to rain torrentially and soon felt like the car was flying, not driving on the road. There was another car on each side of me. First, I was incredibly lucky that the road was straight, and thecar kept going almost straight, and second, I had the good sense to realise that I should do nothing very carefully, except decelerate until hopefully the car got a grip again. It was all over in a few moments. else that hire car might have needed some deep cleaning of the seat before I returned it. Or there might have been a high speed accident in which people would very possibly have died.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th April 2015 at 14:51.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 15:49   #1091
Senior - BHPian

OT - I have hydroplaned atop BETL (ECity to Blore City) in a plain-jane Indigo CS at less than 50ish KMPH. It was death before my eyes and absolutely nothing will help, effectively nearly all tyres are above road (no contact left), neither brakes, not steering will help. Just pray it ends well without major damages. Thankfully it was less than 2 seconds in my case and the puddle ended and contact was regained.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 17:53   #1092
Senior - BHPian

A Z4 seems to have crashed in Gurgaon yesterday.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46901982.cms
Old 13th April 2015, 18:12   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Thats a 997 1st gen Porsche Turbo (pre 2008 in this particular case) and not a 2012. This particular car has had multiple owners and its very sad to see it in ashes.
This belonged to the Adar Poonawala stable when bought new. There is also another black MH-12-AP-xxxx black porsche turbo that had metallic blue wrap which came from the same stable and sold to mumbai and then down south. Are both these cars the same?

It's strange that the car has caught fire in the front. Porsches are notorious on catching fire but most often emerging from the rear as the car is rear engined.
Old 13th April 2015, 18:46   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This belonged to the Adar Poonawala stable when bought new. There is also another black MH-12-AP-xxxx black porsche turbo that had metallic blue wrap which came from the same stable and sold to mumbai and then down south. Are both these cars the same?
No, they are two different cars. The black 911 Turbo with blue wrap is now unwrapped and is now at Kerala.
Old 13th April 2015, 19:02   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

The car was not on the wrong way, and owner is a good friend, just bad judgment of speeding on wet roads.

Aquaplaned, hit the road barrier on the right side which had an opening and spun backwards in the process rupturing the fuel tank. The Engine did not catch fire first, it was the fuel tank leak that lead to the car being Gutted.

The owner walked away scratchless.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 13th April 2015 at 19:06.
ShortShifter is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks