Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 17:15   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

These events are purely "marketing" initiatives, get existing customers to upgrade and get potential customers to buy in. That's where the problem lies and that's the reason why the number of people attending are so high.
There are not many sports car buyers in India and even less when you are buying new. The least the manufacturers should do is offer a thorough training program to new buyers so they can safely exploit the true potential of their cars.
Customers paying a hefty amount for their cars won't mind paying a nominal amount to attend a training session or fly to another city for the day to attend a free session. Moreover, If the "marketing" team is allowed to spend funds on free events why can't the customer satisfaction team do it, at the end of the day it all works better for the brand and makes our roads safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
For a manufacturer like Audi or any other premium marque to do a track day in India is a very expensive affair. Even when such a brand does arrange a track experience, many existing and prospective owners from around the country fly in to Delhi to be at BIC to be a part of such experiences.

Considering the total number of people is so high, the number of laps and personal attention per customer starts taking a back seat. But thats a free participation for those who are there. However, the manufacturer has spent a whole lot of money in arranging for the same.

Almost all of the same manufacturers offer driver academy programs as well. An academy program allows participants to spend hours driving at the track with personal attention from coaches and getting into the details of high performance car driving.

But theres a catch, thats a paid activity. And considering the same people think they are schumachers the moment they get behind the wheel of a supercar, they end up never spending 1-2% of their supercars worth on becoming a better driver.
Old 25th January 2016, 18:32   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
Yeah. Only luxury and super cars cause deaths on indian roads. The other LAKHS die of a heart attack fearing a super car might come their way. About 15 people die in india in road accidents EVERY HOUR. So blame our road sense and mindset as a people on the whole instead of just targeting a miniscule minority. As if road accidents will drastically reduce if the government bans supercars.
Talk about educating people instead of going afterwho's rich or not. Obviously only rich people will buy expensive cars, for which by the way theyhave to pay the government twice the price of the car in taxes and duties. I forone have never been cut off on the road by a rashly driven rolls royce. Cant say the same for those driving a Tata Indica.
The whole point here is that YOU CANNOT DRIVE A SUPER CAR ON INDIAN ROADS. Most of these accidents involving super-cars did not happen on express highways. They happened on streets within the city limit. Whats the point in racing a super-car at 100+ kmph on streets when you know you cannot control a car at that speed on our roads?. By the way the guy who rashly drives a Tata Indica gets caught one day and pays through his nose for his folly. Can you say the same for a guy driving a supercar? How many rich guys are there who have been convicted for rash or drunken driving? The only one that I can remember is the guy who drove his Hummer on a security guard. This blatant disregard for human life shows that for some people money in their pocket is more valuable than the man on the road.
Mithrandir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 19:18   #1368
BHPian

I remember that the guy driving a bmw in delhi who hit some people standing in the middle of the road didn't get bail for 10 months while a schoolbus driver who went over wazirabad bridge because he was driving rash and drowned 20 kids in the bus got bail the next day and was driving another bus.So it goes both ways.
As for supercars, they can be driven slowly within limits and I have seen umpteen owners do it. These are freak cases which get highlighted to create sensationalism. Porsche sold about 600 cars in india last year, at least 50 of them are sports cars, a lot of them Turbo Ss and Gt3s you don't see them tearing the street apart at every corner. I haven't even got to the number of lamborghinis ferraris maseratis R8s etc.
And ive barely seen a call centre cab full of passengers adhere to any speed limit anywhere. Supercars are not killing 15 people an hour, but something else definitely is.
As for the guy in the hummer, he got life because of what he did deliberately, he got out of the car and hit the guard on the head with an iron rod! There is a difference between an accident and murder. And he is a habitual offender, thankfully the judiciary knows better and is largely not prejudiced.

Last edited by awini : 25th January 2016 at 19:43.
awini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 20:48   #1369
Senior - BHPian

I have one point to make.

What is the purpose of this thread ? Why do we even have this thread separately while we have an Accidents in India thread ?

Answer is very simple : VIP status or differentiation from aam junta.

So while we have specific thread writing and discussing obituaries of the so called SuperCars, we also have a dedicated thread discussing their sightings which gives a high to their owners, fans and followers.

So if you are getting high by the praises get ready for few brickbats when the SuperCars are driven rashly and scaring people. No one is even remotely claiming that all the SuperCars are being driven rashly or all SuperCar owners or drivers are Spolit.

Also DO REMEMBER that the driver of common cars are also referred to as the spoilt brats and the taxi and cab drivers are referred to with the choicest words, so don't cry victim of differentiation.

If someone is hellbent on buying such car within the legal framework of this country knowing fully well that he or she won't be able to drive it to even 20-25% of the capacity, the Govt. is right in getting their cut from 'my money my life' attitude on display.

I also can't understand by saving the tax by registering in different state as even the owners of small out of state cars are caught hold of and made to cough up the applicable tax of the state in which they are being driven after the specified period so I am confused.

Last edited by carwatcher : 25th January 2016 at 20:51.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 23:21   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
Sounds quite likely. Also the name of the car's owner is conspicuously missing from the media report.

The way the Salman Khan case was handled, has set a bad example of how someone with money and connections can get away with criminal levels of irresponsibility.
There was a name in HT. The car belongs to Chota Shakeel and was driven by his close aide.
Old 27th January 2016, 13:52   #1371
BHPian

Going by the registration plate, JH 05 means it was registered in Jharkhand. As far as my knowledge goes, this car belongs to Sanjay Chaudhary. The name Cotta Shakeel is just a trick.This might be related to a Coal Scam by Jharkhand's Ex-CM Madhu Koda.
Related articles for more information.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/48065376.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ow/5191120.cms
Old 27th January 2016, 17:53   #1372
BHPian

I think its also a good time to point out the non-existent tests people are given before being granted a DL in this country. In my opinion, the crux of a large number of our traffic woes (oversupply of cars / bikes included) lies in the fact that RTO's dole out licenses like they are going out of style, without even testing the candidates in most cases. Imagine the roads if all drivers were put through stringent tests like in other countries! I am honestly surprised that this hasnt been raised by anyone in the public domain and the government seems to be turning a blind eye to it.
Old 27th January 2016, 18:10   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
Going by the registration plate, JH 05 means it was registered in Jharkhand. As far as my knowledge goes, this car belongs to Sanjay Chaudhary. The name Cotta Shakeel is just a trick.This might be related to a Coal Scam by Jharkhand's Ex-CM Madhu Koda.
Related articles for more information.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/48065376.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ow/5191120.cms
JH/PY/CH registered high value cars are common in Mumbai. Ppl get their cars registered outside to save on tax.
Old 28th January 2016, 13:12   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
What's with supercars crashing in Mumbai these days??
Honestly Mumbai has the worst roads of any metro in India, it's like layer on layer of unlevelled concrete with cracks and random deformations. I really admire the brave souls who own and use their cars on those roads. Under the wrong hands its very easy to lose control of these beasts, heck I don't think you'll ever need a car > 200hp on Mumbai roads.
Old 29th January 2016, 20:39   #1375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
What is the purpose of this thread ? Why do we even have this thread separately while we have an Accidents in India thread ?

Answer is very simple : VIP status or differentiation from aam junta.
That's what a lot of people seem to incorrectly think... but this thread is actually to differentiate the Super CARS from the regular cars.

It has little to do with VIPs or any other kind of people.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 20:57   #1376
Senior - BHPian

I meant exactly that!!! I am well aware that we have nothing which can be said as VIP on TBHP but at the same time the fans of such cars treat them as VIP even though few of them are far from being a Supercar, while in reality they are just expensive car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That's what a lot of people seem to incorrectly think... but this thread is actually to differentiate the Super CARS from the regular cars.

It has little to do with VIPs or any other kind of people.

Last edited by carwatcher : 29th January 2016 at 20:58.
Old 30th January 2016, 15:14   #1377
BHPian

@moderators : I think the conversation is digressing from the main topic to quiet some extent. maybe a clean up is required
Old 6th February 2016, 19:51   #1378
BHPian

Drunk businessman in Audi Q7 kills biker - Chennai

One more life has been lost to drunk driving.

In a horrifying accident on Anna Salai early on Thursday (4th Feb, 2016) morning, a motorcyclist was killed when he was run over by an Audi Q7, which was reportedly being driven at a speeds excess of 100 kmph. The SUV went in the wrong direction from Spencer Plaza to Teynampet on the one-way route and hit the biker head-on in front of TVS showroom.

According to the police, after ramming the motorcycle, the SUV hit a van, toppling it in the process, and then, came to a halt. The accident was due to drunk driving. The police said that two Erode-based businessmen, one of whom was the driver, were in the car and have been arrested in connection with the case. Both of them were drunk.

The body of victim, identified as I. Kevin Raj (25), was thrown several feet away and got trapped in iron roads at a Metro Rail site. The body was found dangling on the rods.

The incident happened around 3.40 a.m. on Thursday.

"Kevin Raj, was a resident of Kasi Garden in Royapuram and is the second child of R. Irudayaraj (57) and Irudayapushpam (52). He was working at a star hotel in Guindy and was returning home after work,” said a police officer.

When he was taking a turn near TVS company on Anna Salai, the SUV coming in the opposite direction hit his bike. The section of Anna Salai where the accident took place is a one-way.

“As the car was being driven at a great speed, it did not stop after hitting him, but hit a van that was coming behind the two-wheeler and stopped. The van driver sustained minor injuries. The air bags in the car came out and the two in the car were trapped,” said the officer.

“The occupants of the car were identified as Mohammad Safi (48), the driver, and Mohammad Farook (39). They are leather businessmen. They had come for a leather fair in the city. They had had food from a hotel on Anna Salai and were heading in the wrong direction,” said the officer.

A case has been registered under section 304 (II) (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC and the two have been remanded to judicial custody.

Kevin Raj, who finished his course in hotel management, was working in the hotel for the past 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-audi_3.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-audi_5.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-audi_7.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-bike_1.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-lor_1.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-bike_2.jpg  

Last edited by rubicon : 6th February 2016 at 20:04. Reason: Uploaded additional images.
rubicon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 18:39   #1379
BHPian

One can learn about the speed and the intensity with which the Q7 hit the biker from the fact that it is hard to even ascertain the make and model of the car involved given the condition it is in.

Except for the rims there isn't any other giveaway to make out it's a Q7.

In majority of the accidents involving high end automobiles the driver and passenger make it safely due to the safety equipment provided in the car but what about the poor fellow on the street. In this case the biker. Even a helmet would fail to provide any protection in such a high speed impact.
Bookkeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 23:16   #1380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
... the speed and the intensity with which the Q7 hit the biker from the fact that it is hard to even ascertain the make and model of the car involved given the condition it is in.
Yes, the collision with the biker probably didn't cause much damage to the car, but must have slowed it down a little before it hit the truck.

I spend half my driving time shouting at bikers, but partly that is because they should realise how vulnerable they are. Meeting with high speed vehicle in this situation, though, there was probably nothing the biker could do. I feel really sorry for him and his family.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks