Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 18:07   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It's a 1 kg dry powder extinguisher but I am not sure if I'll have the presence of mind to get out of the car and quickly douse a fire in the event of an emergency!
You probably will want to first jump out of the car. Perhaps might be a safer bet to put this in the boot atleast this way you are out of the car. Most of often the boot is the least hit unless you get rear ended.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:17   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
/OT

Yes, if you ask me. I have stowed one in my car below the co-driver seat:

It's a 1 kg dry powder extinguisher but I am not sure if I'll have the presence of mind to get out of the car and quickly douse a fire in the event of an emergency!
Just a suggestion. That yellow colour zip tie is for safety at the storage yard/transportation phase by the manufacturer. You need to cut it off else trying to remove the pin in case of a fire will be extremely difficult.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 09:51   #1113
BHPian

Yet another Murcielago has been totalled within days of the SV crash, this time in Gurgaon.

Quote:
Eyewitnesses said they saw the car speeding around 6pm and crash into a roadside railing before hitting a tree. The impact of the collision was such that the right side of the car was badly damaged and the rear wheel came off. The two-seater car with a Delhi registration number was towed away by traffic cops. Police have not registered any case.
Full article in today's TOI

Car was abandoned in this case as well. I am really beginning to despise this fleeing attitude in crashes involving such magnificent cars. A BMW Z4 crash was also reported few days back but IIRC it was a company/dealer car.

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 19th April 2015 at 09:57.
Senna4Ever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 10:00   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do these guys walk away from their cars, leaving it behind, after an accident? I wouldnt leave my Santro behind after an accident, much less a 2.3 Cr supercar.
mayankk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 10:08   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
A BMW Z4 crash was also reported few days back but IIRC it was a company/dealer car.
A friend sent this picture a few days ago. Apparently someone test driving the car crashed it in the sector 29/leisure valley area.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-1429418208464.jpg  

rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 10:20   #1116
BHPian

The only logical reason I can fathom as to why these owners leave their car behind after a crash is that they were in an inebriated state whilst the accident happened. A 24 hour period to recuperate and drain all the alcohol away before they meet with the cops, is what they want. ( And that's just my opinion. )
shoaib3030 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 10:34   #1117
BHPian

Sad to see these beauties in this condition :(

I believe the reason drivers abandon the car is media attention. Most of these cars are owned by popular industrialists who wouldn't want their face or company's name in the media reports. The other reason as stated by Shoaib is also a strong reason.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 11:09   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why do these guys walk away from their cars, leaving it behind, after an accident? I wouldnt leave my Santro behind after an accident, much less a 2.3 Cr supercar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
The only logical reason I can fathom as to why these owners leave their car behind after a crash is that they were in an inebriated state whilst the accident happened. A 24 hour period to recuperate and drain all the alcohol away before they meet with the cops, is what they want. ( And that's just my opinion. )
I think two reasons. First, the one shoaib brought up.
Second, they could claim they were not driving the car. The super rich tend to have many poor employed and can pay off one to take the heat & thus absolve themselves of any wrong doing.
Old 19th April 2015, 12:05   #1119
BHPian

Wow. What is it with Murciélagos and Delhi? The yellow one is the third one to have been crashed! If I'm not mistaken, the first one is still awaiting parts, is it not?

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 19th April 2015, 17:07   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
The only logical reason I can fathom as to why these owners leave their car behind after a crash is that they were in an inebriated state whilst the accident happened. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I believe the reason drivers abandon the car is media attention. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
they could claim they were not driving the car. ...
All of those things are perfectly possible. Let me add another suggestion: a person who has the money to drive cars like this, also has people to call, "The car is wrecked in location abc. I'm going home, deal with it." They do not necessarily have to hang around.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 18:19   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
/OT

I have stowed one in my car below the co-driver seat:

That is a good idea.

In WRC, cars come equipped with professional fire extinguishers, that can be activated by a touch of a button and in some cases on impact, but again this is mostly focussed on the engine bay. Fuel tank ruptures will need additional plumbing/outlet.

If you are injured in the accident and cannot operate the fire extinguisher, then this is a better option.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-94768211.ipxvcy6z.jpg  

bharatbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 18:52   #1122
BHPian

Ah! Not again. :banghead:
It feels very bad to see the supercars this way. These cars have enough power and everyone knows that. But Indian city roads aren't meant to test the potential of these cars. The supercars crashing rate is increasing day by day. I guess this is the 4th supercar crash till now in 2015. Very sad site. :(
Old 19th April 2015, 19:59   #1123
BHPian

OT:
Probably not the best place to ask this question but here goes nothing.
In the Z4 case the car was being test driven, so who bears the damage costs? Are these cars still insured through third party route? Does the driver go away scot-free?

Mods: I know this is off-topic. Please remove if it violates the rules.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 00:23   #1124
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Depending upon the scenario - there could be various reasons for what the owner does to his car when involved in an accident. If there were casualties, then obviously to escape the law and media attention.

If there were no casualties it will definitely be escaping media attention. So you would find the owners missing from the accident scene along with the number plates and all important documents as well. The number plates and registration documents are key evidences and can be traced back to the owner. Although in some cases (like the Murcielago SV) its very easy to know who the owner is since it is the only car in India.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 00:52   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
That is a good idea.

In WRC, cars come equipped with professional fire extinguishers, that can be activated by a touch of a button and in some cases on impact, but again this is mostly focussed on the engine bay. Fuel tank ruptures will need additional plumbing/outlet.

If you are injured in the accident and cannot operate the fire extinguisher, then this is a better option.

We had the same fire extinguisher system in the Polo R Cup cars too. You just have to be able to reach the button, incase of fire and hit it. Reaching the button can get tough if you're upside down though.
Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed