Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2021, 15:46   #2041
BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Somehow, I don't feel sad for people who themselves indulge in dangerous driving practices. In fact I am more relieved after getting to know that they banged against a wall and not against some two wheeler rider or a middle class car like Swift/Baleno wherein innocent people would have lost their lives to satiate the high speed thrills of the speeding drive OR crashed into a truck/bus and its innocent driver would have gone to jail for no reason.

Earlier also Gurgaon has witnessed these type of incidents where innocent people lost their lives due to careless driving of others.

Last edited by low_rider : 15th May 2021 at 15:46. Reason: spelling
low_rider is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 17:57   #2042
BHPian

Call me insensitive, but I am kind of glad that they rammed against stationary concrete rather than other vehicles or humans. The wreck makes me wonder what atrocious speeds the car was being driven at on urban roads.
pavanmadhini is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:13   #2043
BHPian

That stretch on DLF underpass is close to my office and while it is a nicely carved road it does have a lot of speed cams, clearly the driver wasn’t concerned about that. I can’t even think of anything else but the speeds they were doing for a 7 series to end up like that.

Also, I don’t expect someone who can afford a 7 series to use a fake seatbelt buckle to fool the seatbelt reminder, there should be a certain sense of responsibility when you’re driving a car as powerful and capable as the 7. They definitely would’ve survived if they were wearing a seatbelt.
Mat095 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:13   #2044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It seems from the pictures that the driver had the seatbelt buckled to fool the seat belt reminder, but he wasn't wearing it.
Am not sure how can you make from these pictures, are you are referring to the belts being in the buckle? Can’t this have done by someone after the crash? Why exactly- I won’t know.

This car was coming out of a tunnel, a stretch of underpasses and signal free access for around 6 km, known as golf course road in gurgaon. This is the last tunnel and it takes a very steep turn on the left when you come out. If you are driving fast, maybe DUI or otherwise distracted, chances are going straight are very high, which appears to have happened here. I went past this stretch after the incident and there were marks on the sides, right first and left ahead (can be due to some past incidents too!)

Government has put some rumble strips on this stretch but one will hardly feel these on the 7, so if they were distracted for whatever reasons, the conditions are perfect for a disaster. Young lives lost unnecessarily.

Hope everyone takes this as a lesson and enjoy their rides always keeping allowance for errors.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th May 2021 at 19:15.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:46   #2045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Am not sure how can you make from these pictures, are you are referring to the belts being in the buckle? Can’t this have done by someone after the crash? Why exactly- I won’t know.
Could be, but that B pillar does not look in any condition to allow the belt mechanism to work, no(?).
That seatbelt-buckled-in is a very common thing I see, where the driver just slips on the diagonal section to avoid a challan when he spots a cop, but it's almost exclusively been in an ola.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:49   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure how can you make from these pictures, are you are referring to the belts being in the buckle? Can’t this have done by someone after the crash? Why exactly- I won’t know. .
The probability of someone actually doing that after a crash is less than 1% IMHO;
In a mangled car, why would anyone take the pain of buckling up the seat belt, when most of us know,
that is quite a common practice in our country, to avoid the seat belt warning chime.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 15th May 2021 at 20:08.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 20:25   #2047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This car was coming out of a tunnel, a stretch of underpasses and signal free access for around 6 km, known as golf course road in gurgaon. This is the last tunnel and it takes a very steep turn on the left when you come out. If you are driving fast, maybe DUI or otherwise distracted, chances are going straight are very high, which appears to have happened here. I went past this stretch after the incident and there were marks on the sides, right first and left ahead (can be due to some past incidents too!)

Government has put some rumble strips on this stretch but one will hardly feel these on the 7, so if they were distracted for whatever reasons, the conditions are perfect for a disaster. Young lives lost unnecessarily.
Your assessment is correct. Someone forwarded me this video. It is a case of missing a turn at some crazy speed. The car hit the side wall of the road and continued as a missile to hit two metro pillars!
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 21:01   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat095 View Post
That stretch on DLF underpass is close to my office and while it is a nicely carved road it does have a lot of speed cams, clearly the driver wasn’t concerned about that. I can’t even think of anything else but the speeds they were doing for a 7 series to end up like that.
+1. My initial thoughts as well. This is one of the most monitored roads in Gurgaon when it comes to speed cam deployment. Being challaned doesn’t seem to be on driver’s mind here.
Quote:
The rumble strips within the tunnel are bone jarring. Atleast that is what I feel inside my humble Honda City. Maybe luxury cars don’t feel a thing. But still hard to imagine how such insane speeding could have happened.

Last edited by warrioraks : 15th May 2021 at 21:03.
Old 15th May 2021, 21:48   #2049
BHPian

Even our honourable PM Modi wears a seat-belt in a Top end Range Rover. The 3 point seat-belts were the biggest innovation in automotive history courtesy Volvo.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-screenshot_202105152126252.png  

HooghlyBoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 22:19   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
It is so convenient for people who do outdoor activities with cars. Please do ot use this while driving on the highway, rounding mountains, high traffic jam. easy to install. Put it on the right place. It can works easily.
This has got to be hands down by far the most absurd thing i have seen / heard / can comprehend in the recent past. And more so flabbergasted that such stupid things have a lot of takers in the form of reviews.

One thing is for certain that the car was speeding and by speeding i mean not doing 100 kmph in a 80 mph zone but much more. But how many of us here actually do 100 kmph within city limits. I dare not even think about it even late in the night when roads are empty considering that new speed breakers or potholes keep coming up out of the blue even on the roads in which i commute daily.
Old 15th May 2021, 23:39   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It seems from the pictures that the driver had the seatbelt buckled to fool the seat belt reminder, but he wasn't wearing it.
Even I noticed the same. The airbags themselves could have probably killed them.

It's the job of the seatbelt to restrain you when the airbag explosion happens. Most cars don't active the airbags if the seatbelt isn't worn by the driver as a safety precaution. Here, the system was gamed
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 12:37   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
My quick observations.

Also, just do a singe search for seat buckle on amazon

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=seat+buckle

Check the "Amazon Choice"?
Attachment 2156157

It's an "Alarm stopper AND a bottle opener". It has 407 reviews. The collective first page review (of total 15 products) has 1000 reviews.

/s
Now this is amazing
- You make use of this device to cheat seat belt alert
- You are also encouraged to buy a bottle of beer and drink it in the car

And this is Amazon Choice! There should be a way to tag Jeff Bezos for such products.

Last edited by i74js : 16th May 2021 at 12:40.
Old 16th May 2021, 13:02   #2053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The probability of someone actually doing that after a crash is less than 1% IMHO;
I am not an expert but if the belts were worn, the seat belt tensioners which are pyrotechnic if I am correct would have fired and restrained the occupant. The belts will not be able to retract and one would need to release the buckle or cut the belt.

From what is pictured, the belt shows no evidence of seats belt stuck in the restraining position, i.e. floppy and slack as they can no longer retract nor have he belts been cut.

Anyway, seat belts would not have saved them or if they did save their lives, the injuries would have made them an unfortunate burden on their families.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 16:30   #2054
BANNED

There is nothing to be insensitive here. There is no necessity to speed recklessIy in city roads. I support your views. At least they didn't ram into any other vehicle or pedestrians. But still unfortunate enough to pay with their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Call me insensitive, but I am kind of glad that they rammed against stationary concrete rather than other vehicles or humans. The wreck makes me wonder what atrocious speeds the car was being driven at on urban roads.
overtaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 16:53   #2055
BHPian

Had come across this video a while ago.

I guess this biker crashed at the exact same location as of the car. Apart from his confession that he was over speeding, he too was taken aback by the sudden left right after the tunnel.

Ofcourse over speeding is one of the major factors, but the design of the road might also be a part culprit here.

Also, excuse me if the attached video is from elsewhere. Fast forward the video to 5.30.

seedyk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks