Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

What a pity to watch once proud manifactureres on the brink of bankruptcy or willing to dilute their products standing in this way.

Maybe next their petrol versions will come with a LPG conversion kit specifically for India.

Ya right its a full blown SUV and can handle all terrains. Dream on guys. This is a boulivard cruiser and ment for those who want to project a macho image.

The car is close to being useless for serious off roading. Did anyone check out the tire profile???

Last edited by wasif : 2nd April 2009 at 16:21.
Old 4th April 2009, 14:19   #17
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What a pity to watch once proud manifactureres on the brink of bankruptcy or willing to dilute their products standing in this way.

Maybe next their petrol versions will come with a LPG conversion kit specifically for India.

Ya right its a full blown SUV and can handle all terrains. Dream on guys. This is a boulivard cruiser and ment for those who want to project a macho image.

The car is close to being useless for serious off roading. Did anyone check out the tire profile???
on what basis are you making these assumptions? have you taken one off-roading?

the car has height control, differential locks, off-road ABS and the works. Once the hill ascend feature is activated it automatically climbs up slopes at n approx speed of 2 - 3 kmph. the same feature is there for hill decends. also all this time there is no need to press the accelerator or brake, the car drives itself. in case of a slip, the individual brakes of each wheel is applied by the car which prevents it from sliding down. I have taken one offroad at the PWRS and hence i know.

here are 3 videos of off and on road capabilities-

also in future try not to judge an SUV's offroad capabilities just by the tire profile.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
After looking at the brochure, I'm a little less impressed. Performance is at par with a 520d ! Which costs half the price
dont take me otherwise sahil, but isnt 520d half the size of a cayenne?? in terms of entire volume of the car i am sure u are paying less per cubic centimeter for the cayenne.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
dont take me otherwise sahil, but isnt 520d half the size of a cayenne?? in terms of entire volume of the car i am sure u are paying less per cubic centimeter for the cayenne.
The cayanne is bigger but not by much. Don't get me wrong,I'd pick the Cayanne over the 5 series anyday but from a performance view I would prefer some more power in the diesel Cayanne.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:00   #20
BHPian

The Cayenne D is going to be compared to the X5 3.0d, ML diesel & Q7 Diesel.
The whole point of comparing it to the 520d is missing the whole point in my view.
It performs decently (Autocar UK), is definately better than Cayenne petrol V6.
I am sure a bigger diesel would be part of the future packaging.

And given the situation, what would people here prefer buying out of all diesels in the same price bracket? I dont even see an option except for the Cayenne D, if driving dynamics is the most important area of consideration. Discussion is open.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
The Cayenne D is going to be compared to the X5 3.0d, ML diesel & Q7 Diesel.
The whole point of comparing it to the 520d is missing the whole point in my view.
It performs decently (Autocar UK), is definately better than Cayenne petrol V6.
I am sure a bigger diesel would be part of the future packaging.

And given the situation, what would people here prefer buying out of all diesels in the same price bracket? I dont even see an option except for the Cayenne D, if driving dynamics is the most important area of consideration. Discussion is open.
Isn't the BMW X6 in the same league as well?

And comparing a Cayenne to a 5 series is plain silly. Like comparing a buffalo to a deer...or something.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
And comparing a Cayenne to a 5 series is plain silly. Like comparing a buffalo to a deer...or something.
Did you mean a cayenne is better than a 5-series?

Isnt the price of the new cayenne higher than the Q7 or is it on par? I thought a Q7 is for about 60L or something.

Does someone have comparitive pricing info of Q7,Cayenne D, X5,X6,ML250 or is it 350 that is worth comparing here?
Old 6th May 2009, 18:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Did you mean a cayenne is better than a 5-series?
No, I meant that you cannot compare an SUV and a sedan!
Old 7th May 2009, 10:30   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hear you. Though the Cayenne & Boxsters presence are justified for the positive effect they had on Porsche's health (and thus better 911s), I just can't digest a diesel Porsche SUV. A Porsche SUV was bad enough, but a Porsche that redlines at 5,000 rpm? What is the automotive world coming to!

It will sell for sure. Too many of 'em diesel SUV lovers who'd want the badge. The nuisance surrounding grey market imports (Fardeen's Landcruiser was seized this week) makes a compelling case for 60 - 70 lakh officially imported premium SUVs.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:17   #25
BHPian

Well here is something I have to consider.

I will most probably be moving to India permanently in 2010 July. And we were thinking of buying a Cayenne, but since we're moving to India there's no point in doing so. We were thinking of buying it and then shipping it there when we move, but in doing so I think it would be more expensive with the taxes and duties, than the cost of a brand new Cayenne in Mumbai. Am I right in doing so?
Old 7th May 2009, 11:23   #26
BHPian

As long as they keep giving us better n better 911s, i dont mind.

All shouted when they went to water cooling
All shouted when the Cayenne was introduced
All are shouting as the Cayenne Diesel and Panamera are introduced.....

It just makes economic sense. In this day and age when Pontiac is going, Viper's fate is unknown, i dont mind Porsche diluting a diluted arm of its operations to keep the 911.

Make a small diesel sports car. from Porsche it too will be good.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
As long as they keep giving us better n better 911s, i dont mind.

All shouted when they went to water cooling
All shouted when the Cayenne was introduced
All are shouting as the Cayenne Diesel and Panamera are introduced.....

It just makes economic sense. In this day and age when Pontiac is going, Viper's fate is unknown, i dont mind Porsche diluting a diluted arm of its operations to keep the 911.

Make a small diesel sports car. from Porsche it too will be good.
Porsche cannot make it, I hope this will be green-lighted for production soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Cayenne Diesel launched @ Rs. 64.95 lakh, ex-Delhi-audir8_v12_tdi_concept_2008_1600x1200_wallpaper_07.jpg  

Cayenne Diesel launched @ Rs. 64.95 lakh, ex-Delhi-audir8_v12_tdi_concept_2008_1600x1200_wallpaper_11.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 7th May 2009 at 11:45.
Old 7th May 2009, 12:43   #28
BHPian

Porsche and VW are merging.
OT: regarding the V12tdi. It will bode well with Audi's LeMans plans, Lambo might have some issues but as Audi owns them!!
Old 7th May 2009, 12:44   #29
BHPian

Delicious. I mean the R8 V12 TDI.

How much torque did that have again? In a supercar? Are you kidding me ??

Ah well. If the world ever stops revolving, we now have a solution!
Old 7th May 2009, 12:49   #30
v10
BHPian

I was driving the cayenne yesterday. I Think its got pretty descent performance though sometime in future would like to upgrade to a bigger V8. The deisel is -50bhp than the V6 so it. But its the Growl that gets me. I doubt you'll get the same growl from a deisel.

But I bet the diesels are gonna dell like hot cakes here. The quality, reliability and handling, IMO makes it the best in the segment. The diesels gonna be a hit with the guys who always have to ask, "Mileage kitni hai?".

Most Viewed