Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:50   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Guys, it is official, the Porsche has been sold off now. It has been a wonderful journey with the 911 Carrera but I guess I needed to move on to better prospects now. Since a few of my friends have been asking me for an ownership review, I think its time I gave a brief one. I'll try to cover as many points as I can , but for any more clarification please ask here :

1 - Driving Experience

The driving exp in a 911 is down - right fantastic! Even with the slush box tranny it was a joy of joys. I was all of 17 when I got the car and did not know much back then about cars and hence failed to see the importance and fun factor of a proper manual transmission in a 911. The car fish - tailed if I gave it too much throttle in the corners but never felt dangerous. The front end was light and steering communication was and still is fantastic. Better than any of our current cars. Back seat space was,well,dismal. I had friends who were 6 feet tall sit in the back but for only for a short period of time as no one could manage to sit in the back seats of a 911. The transmission was what it was, sluggish but fine for 2006 conditions. Overall we put 21,000 kms on the 911 and each km was special. The ground clearance was that of an Indian sedan! Ample and safe. We went over pot holes(if unavoidable) and bad roads but it never once
beached. We got a lot of attention around town and it felt good some times. Other times people wanted to race us and that was annoying. The engine sound was fantastic and is still very pleasant to my ears, even after being exposed to sounds of a 4.0 supercharged/4.2 N/A V8 and a 6.5 litre straight pipe V12.

2 - Servicing / Maintenance

Servicing and upkeep was never a problem. German car , build quality = superb!
I did have teething problems with the service advisor/manager back in 06 when Shreyans were establishing them selves in Delhi but over all I am very satisfied. Their entire sales and service team is good and courteous , just as you'd expect from them. Never had any technical problems whatsoever and till now the car is rock solid.

I am not sure what else to write, but if any one has any experience related questions, please feel free to ask here. If any one has some other questions about the Porsche that are not experience related, please PM me. Hope this is acceptable to my friends sn1per and Suhaas and other friends who wanted a review.

Last edited by ecksreturns : 3rd December 2009 at 14:54.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:29   #1352
Senior - BHPian

The only thing that can come close to your matte black GT-R is this:
Attached Thumbnails
Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage-f_22_raptor_1.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2009, 18:50   #1353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Guys, it is official, the Porsche has been sold off now. It has been a wonderful journey with the 911 Carrera but I guess I needed to move on to better prospects now. Since a few of my friends have been asking me for an ownership review, I think its time I gave a brief one. I'll try to cover as many points as I can , but for any more clarification please ask here :
Thank you very much Karan! That's much appreciated! Was waiting for a review for sometime now and I've got it!

One thing: I've heard that the RHD 997 I had an issue with the driving positions. The steering wheel wasn't correctly aligned with the pedals apparently. Is this true?
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:55   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Thank you very much Karan! That's much appreciated! Was waiting for a review for sometime now and I've got it!

One thing: I've heard that the RHD 997 I had an issue with the driving positions. The steering wheel wasn't correctly aligned with the pedals apparently. Is this true?
why do most supercars have that problem of the alignment .heard that the lp640 also has the same problem for the matter all the lambos except the 560. karan could you confirm ?
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:00   #1355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
why do most supercars have that problem of the alignment .heard that the lp640 also has the same problem for the matter all the lambos except the 560. karan could you confirm ?
The funny thing is, the LHD versions don't have that issue! It's only the RHDs that have that alignment problem!

And it's quite shocking to find out that Porsche's 911 have that problem. Especially since it's a driver oriented, precision sports car!
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:00   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Not true. And the lamborghini doesn't count cuz it's a hypercar! Lolz.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:12   #1357
Senior - BHPian

short and simple review
so "getting rid " means you have given it away to some member of your family or have you sold it off outside the family?
if you don't mind the price at what the car had been sold? Just curious regarding the resale value of super cars in India that's it.
If possible the approximate cost of owning a Porshe in India (not the price of the car ,rather the regular maintenance like Price of a routine service check up etc)

Last edited by vinaydas : 3rd December 2009 at 19:15.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:22   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Very true the lp640 definitely falls in the hypercar territory.
I asked you because Jeremy Clarkson said the steering wasn't aligned straight.I also remeber Jeremy saying the 640 was capable of hypercar like performance.
Quote:
Not true. And the lamborghini doesn't count cuz it's a hypercar! Lolz.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:32   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
short and simple review
so "getting rid " means you have given it away to some member of your family or have you sold it off outside the family?
if you don't mind the price at what the car had been sold? Just curious regarding the resale value of super cars in India that's it.
If possible the approximate cost of owning a Porshe in India (not the price of the car ,rather the regular maintenance like Price of a routine service check up etc)
Sold it to a buyer. Don't know the service costs of the Porsche. It's been a while since I checked that.

Quote:
Very true the lp640 definitely falls in the hypercar territory.
I asked you because Jeremy Clarkson said the steering wasn't aligned straight.I also remeber Jeremy saying the 640 was capable of hypercar like performance.
Well it is true for the LP640, not for the R8,M3,GTR or the 911.
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:43   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
I still remember The 911 because at one point of time it used to be the only supercar in Chandigarh . I used to get so fascinated when i saw karan on the 11 sector road . He used to put his right foot down and the sound was amazing . People used to stand or give way and just drool over the sight of the 911 . Bye-Bye 911 . And hello to the GodZilla !!!
What a nice replacement !!
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:01   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ecks, the review is precise. Enjoy the wait for the beast.
Old 4th December 2009, 18:02   #1362
BHPian

ecks...was the GC of the C2S really that good? They seem so low to look at....
Old 4th December 2009, 18:18   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The only thing that can come close to your matte black GT-R is this:
well, thats what he'll end up with some day when the GT-R, LP and M3 cant keep up to his power cravings!!
Old 5th December 2009, 18:30   #1364

great work ecks, that is an amazing garage. went through the thread, i'm completely hooked!

considering how humble your garage currently is(:P) aren't you considering buying the new 458 down the line? going by the reviews, it seems like the greatest ferrari of recent times!

anyway, like everyone else, cant wait to see the GTR in action
Old 5th December 2009, 19:29   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
ecks...was the GC of the C2S really that good? They seem so low to look at....
Well I had the opportunity to own and drive the C2 and the C2S(L.A car). Both have fantastic GC with no issues what so ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
great work ecks, that is an amazing garage. went through the thread, i'm completely hooked!

considering how humble your garage currently is(:P) aren't you considering buying the new 458 down the line? going by the reviews, it seems like the greatest ferrari of recent times!

anyway, like everyone else, cant wait to see the GTR in action
A ferrari would be added to the stable for sure , but which model and when is yet to be decided buddy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks