Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:04   #1906
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
How do you manage keeping people off your cars when parked in public? I have a hard time because I always see people clicking photos with the car. The worst I ever saw was someone lying down on the bonnet with elbow on the windshield and clicking photos. And hella nice collection you have there. I was going in for BMW X6 40d but cancelled last moment because the city I live in is not mature enough to see these cars
Which car do you have? Just out of curiosity

And I guess Ecks has security people to guard the car when he is away.
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:28   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Re: Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
Which car do you have? Just out of curiosity

And I guess Ecks has security people to guard the car when he is away.
I have accepted the fact that people do get uncomfortably close to the cars to get a picture clicked , hence we do not stop them from doing so. Since the car is parked in a public place (if I am outside the house) then by all means they can click pictures. But yes I do have my driver ensure that there is no physical contact with the car by the people who want to click pictures.
ecksreturns is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 01:07   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post

I have accepted the fact that people do get uncomfortably close to the cars to get a picture clicked , hence we do not stop them from doing so. Since the car is parked in a public place (if I am outside the house) then by all means they can click pictures. But yes I do have my driver ensure that there is no physical contact with the car by the people who want to click pictures.
That, as far as I believe, is the right thing to do cos u can't stop them since you are in public and you can't complain cos they don't have a physical contact with your car. Good job done Karan.
Old 24th November 2013, 03:18   #1909
BHPian

My Car isnt that expensive, Its an A4. But since the town doesnt have many ( Mine was the 3rd or 4th in the city and the only car that is always in the public ) People go Gaga. I am kinda suprised people dont go crazy with the fortuner and Montero standing right beside it but the A4 :/ I have security guards guarding the cars but people start picking fights with them and sometimes they wander off to some other work. I dont mind people clicking photos but its a heartbreak to see cheap people keying your cars. My car is keyed at like 10 different spots and major being the bonnet.
Old 24th November 2013, 13:16   #1910
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
My Car isnt that expensive, Its an A4. But since the town doesnt have many ( Mine was the 3rd or 4th in the city and the only car that is always in the public ) People go Gaga. I am kinda suprised people dont go crazy with the fortuner and Montero standing right beside it but the A4 :/ I have security guards guarding the cars but people start picking fights with them and sometimes they wander off to some other work. I dont mind people clicking photos but its a heartbreak to see cheap people keying your cars. My car is keyed at like 10 different spots and major being the bonnet.
Ohh keying is really sad, no matter how expensive the car is. Even a guy with a hatchback wouldnt like his car keyed.
Seems like where you live is really backward, no offence meant.
Sometimes when our Jag is parked outside, no one even cares. The best case scenario is a approving nod from passerbys
Old 24th November 2013, 15:11   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys. So today is a Sunday and our 458 is here in Delhi for it's annual service. I decided to test drive a few cars to short list for the coming year , with no firm commitments of purchasing any. I drove the new Bentley Continental GT V8 , Aventador and Porsche 991 911 C2 , in that order. My first impressions are as follows :

- The bentley was in a nice yellow shade. I absolutely loved the spec of the car , as it had a nice cf diffuser , cf front lip and cf sills with a bentley logo. The attention to detail was phenomenal. The noise that V8 creates is just bonkers! Absolute muscle car noise! The drive was rather fun , surprisingly , as my previous encounter with a "sporty" bentley was with a Conti GT SuperSports , the W12 monster.

The thrust and torque in the car were really pleasant , and personally speaking , those are two things I really care about. The steering felt precise and the whole car felt agile and light. The sound from the inside isn't as lust-worthy as it from the outside , courtesy of the sound deadening of the interior.

Overall rating IMO , 8/10 , for a Bentley car to do what it did. Really really good.

Up next , the Aventador. I won't write at length about the looks of the car as we already know that it is maaaaad. Let's jump straight to the driving experience!

Now lads , remember I owned the LP640 and I know very well of each of its short comings. So in my mind I was constantly searching for improvements. First up , you still have to "fall" into the car rather than sit into it. The interior is MORE cramped and claustrophobic than that of the 640 , thanks to the massive center console. The seats are good but not great. A 5 foot 7 incher like me was feeling uncomfy in it , so I wonder what well endowed lads would feel like when driving this. So interior wise I'd say that there is not much improvement at all.

Next up , the transmission. We all know that the 640 had a horrendous transmission , as it jerked around a lot and you could not ever use reverse in a dignified manner. So was the transmission in this a lot better? Nope. Sure it was smoother but better , as in , DCT good? No. It is better than the 640 , but only because it is the year 2013 and Lambo wouldn't want to fit a transmission from a 2006 model year car. While driving in auto mode, the car drove noticeably better than the 640. In sport and race mode , the intended "kick in the face" effect of the transmission felt more like "you broke the damn thing" effect and I absolutely hated that. It honestly felt as if the transmission was broken, which of course it was not.

Then we come to the noise. The glorious Bizzarrini engine is gone and I truly saddened by it. That engine was a howler and it gave many a boner! Sorry for that crude language but that is the best way to describe it. The newer engine and it's sound , to my ears , was disappointing when compared with the previous v12. Yeah the thrust was good and all but for me , given the number of cars and engines that I have experienced , I was left thinking , " meh " . For me , the engine lacks character. Period.

Overall score , 5/10. I have dropped the idea of buying this car. That's all.

And finally , we come back to my first love , the 911 Carrera. As many of you would fondly remember , my first ever sports car was the 997 911 Carrera. God I loved that car and drove it every day , all day and put on kms in the 20,000 range before we sold it off. That is till date the most I have driven any car. And that is saying a lot. So as they say , the prodigal son returned to me in the form of the new 991 911. First off , the looks.

I love the way the new 911 looks. It is wider and beefier than the old ones and I like that. The interior is more luxurious than ever and many many creature comforts are now included.

The drive of the car was indeed quite pleasant. The visibility was something that really awed me. The PDK was as expected , quite good. The sound was good. The car just felt "accessible" . This is where the beauty of the 911 lies in . Or for that matter any Porsche sports car. They enable the driver to extract so much out of the car. And my god , did I mention the seats?! I am IN LOVE with the seats. They hug you like your better half and I love the way I felt while I was in one.

Overall score 9/10 . Loved this car.

So guys , let me know if you'd like for me to review any other car , whether it is a part of our collection or not , and I will try my best and give you my reviews. Apart from my collection , I can also give similar reviews for the F10 m5 , RS7 , California , Jag XJ SupeSports , Audi RS4 , Shelby Mustang GT500 etc.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Edit 1 - I spent about 10 mins with each car. I was asked to drive more , but it was more of a self imposed limit. I don't like to whack a demo car. That's just me.
Edit 2 - I will be driving the new E63 AMG next week. Stay tuned for first impressions. And when I said I can review other cars , I meant I'll try and get a test drive for the ones I don't own.

Last edited by ecksreturns : 24th November 2013 at 15:18.
ecksreturns is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 15:38   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The drive of the car was indeed quite pleasant. The visibility was something that really awed me. The PDK was as expected , quite good. The sound was good. The car just felt "accessible" . This is where the beauty of the 911 lies in . Or for that matter any Porsche sports car. They enable the driver to extract so much out of the car.
How did you find the new EPS unit of 991?

Quote:
So guys , let me know if you'd like for me to review any other car , whether it is a part of our collection or not , and I will try my best and give you my reviews. Apart from my collection , I can also give similar reviews for the F10 m5 , RS7 , California , Jag XJ SupeSports , Audi RS4 , Shelby Mustang GT500 etc.
Thanks for sharing the experiences. Please keep them coming. We are all ears! Eyes too! Sit on the fence, take a lot of TDs before bringing the F12. Everyone is raving the new Fezza, the size of the car, the bullocks power and the way it moves and feels. Happy shopping!

Last edited by deetjohn : 24th November 2013 at 15:40. Reason: typo.
Old 24th November 2013, 15:44   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
How did you find the new EPS unit of 991?

Thanks for sharing the experiences. Please keep them coming. We are all ears! Eyes too! Sit on the fence, take a lot of TDs before bringing the F12. Everyone is raving the new Fezza, the size of the car, the bullocks power and the way it moves and feels. Happy shopping!
The Electronic Power Steering is definitely lacking the feel that was in the hydraulic unit , no doubt. But this will surprise only those who truly know about the difference and I think the difference will be felt most while driving in a competitive environment. For normal DD use , it is not going to noticeable at all.
ecksreturns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 15:56   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your views, ecks! Can we have a short review of your Aston Martin with some new/latest pics?
Old 24th November 2013, 16:50   #1915
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys. So today is a Sunday and our 458 is here in Delhi for it's annual service. I decided to test drive a few cars to short list for the coming year , with no firm commitments of purchasing any. I drove the new Bentley Continental GT V8 , Aventador and Porsche 991 911 C2 , in that order.
Well thats immensely awesome seeing you review cars. Tell us more about the DBS, heard you have a sweet spot for that glorious machine

And did you TD all these at the showroom, or drove your friends' cars?

And seems like Tiff Needell wasnt all wrong about the LP700.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th November 2013 at 07:10. Reason: Trimmed long post quote for benefit of mobile users.
Old 24th November 2013, 16:57   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Thanks for sharing your views, ecks! Can we have a short review of your Aston Martin with some new/latest pics?
I will do the the pics part as soon as I am back in Chd. Review will be up in a short while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
Well thats immensely awesome seeing you review cars. Tell us more about the DBS, heard you have a sweet spot for that glorious machine

And did you TD all these at the showroom, or drove your friends' cars?

And seems like Tiff Needell wasnt all wrong about the LP700.

Cars were brought to our residence for the test drives. =)

Tiff is my personal fav!
Old 24th November 2013, 17:16   #1917
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will do the the pics part as soon as I am back in Chd. Review will be up in a short while.

Cars were brought to our residence for the test drives. =)

Tiff is my personal fav!
Aha! Perks of being a serial supercar owner! I too shall soon be there

Tiff is my favorite too. Love almost all his reviews and his driving style.

And please a few pics of your Red 8-pistoned horse from Maranello.
Old 25th November 2013, 01:13   #1918
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
-

And finally , we come back to my first love , the 911 Carrera. As many of you would fondly remember , my first ever sports car was the 997 911 Carrera. God I loved that car and drove it every day , all day and put on kms in the 20,000 range before we sold it off. That is till date the most I have driven any car. And that is saying a lot. So as they say , the prodigal son returned to me in the form of the new 991 911. First off , the looks.

I love the way the new 911 looks. It is wider and beefier than the old ones and I like that. The interior is more luxurious than ever and many many creature comforts are now included.

The drive of the car was indeed quite pleasant. The visibility was something that really awed me. The PDK was as expected , quite good. The sound was good. The car just felt "accessible" . This is where the beauty of the 911 lies in . Or for that matter any Porsche sports car. They enable the driver to extract so much out of the car. And my god , did I mention the seats?! I am IN LOVE with the seats. They hug you like your better half and I love the way I felt while I was in one.

Overall score 9/10 . Loved this car..
That's good to know! *thumbs up*

The 911 has gotten significantly better with the new generation, unlike the Lambo Aventador. The car rides better, shifts gears better, accommodates more, and is generally a better package going by all the reviews. And they have most certainly improved the exhaust note too! But man, that Aventador is something! It's a monster!

Try and get your hands on the new 911 Turbo. That would be an interesting review.

Oh, and what are your thoughts on the new Maserati Ghibli?
Old 26th November 2013, 13:22   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Up next , the Aventador. I won't write at length about the looks of the car as we already know that it is maaaaad. Let's jump straight to the driving experience!

Now lads , remember I owned the LP640 and I know very well of each of its short comings. So in my mind I was constantly searching for improvements. First up , you still have to "fall" into the car rather than sit into it. The interior is MORE cramped and claustrophobic than that of the 640 , thanks to the massive center console. The seats are good but not great. A 5 foot 7 incher like me was feeling uncomfy in it , so I wonder what well endowed lads would feel like when driving this. So interior wise I'd say that there is not much improvement at all.

Next up , the transmission. We all know that the 640 had a horrendous transmission , as it jerked around a lot and you could not ever use reverse in a dignified manner. So was the transmission in this a lot better? Nope. Sure it was smoother but better , as in , DCT good? No. It is better than the 640 , but only because it is the year 2013 and Lambo wouldn't want to fit a transmission from a 2006 model year car. While driving in auto mode, the car drove noticeably better than the 640. In sport and race mode , the intended "kick in the face" effect of the transmission felt more like "you broke the damn thing" effect and I absolutely hated that. It honestly felt as if the transmission was broken, which of course it was not.

Then we come to the noise. The glorious Bizzarrini engine is gone and I truly saddened by it. That engine was a howler and it gave many a boner! Sorry for that crude language but that is the best way to describe it. The newer engine and it's sound , to my ears , was disappointing when compared with the previous v12. Yeah the thrust was good and all but for me , given the number of cars and engines that I have experienced , I was left thinking , " meh " . For me , the engine lacks character. Period.

Overall score , 5/10. I have dropped the idea of buying this car. That's all.
Hey ecks

5 for me personally is a harsh score, especially from an ex LP640 owner. Nevertheless, the question that pops up in my mind is if the Aventador that you drove was the 2013 model year or earlier? I have a clue, that you have a clue, why i asked that question?
Old 26th November 2013, 13:43   #1920
BHPian

Hey ecks, would love to read a detailed review on the 458 and pictures too. And would like to know how the experience has been so far with the DBS, from the day of its purchase ? Pictures too. Hope you're not selling it.

Most Viewed