Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 12:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thats a lovely car and good to see it here. Mr.Tata prefers his cars in the LHD format and as far as i have seen with the previous cars and the ones brought in even after the Lhd ban was ensured, this one too would be registered. I have heard he pays a penalty for it but has it legalised. So hope things are clear now and no assumptions made on the car and the owner.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:38   #47
BHPian

What a Car, now that what you would call a "car".
Mr. Tata has the taste. I guess its the first one in India.
Cheers to that one!
Old 25th May 2009, 10:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Better him that a fat money-grabbing politician. Congrats on the car, though there are much better cars as exclusive as this one for the same price. It's a prancing horse after all, I guess.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:54   #49

Thats a bit strange that the brand owner of Jaguar, Land Rover and Tata looks so publicly ecstatic in another convertible. I wonder if Enzo Ferrari ever drove a Jaguar XKR drop-top convertible on the streets of Rome !
Old 25th May 2009, 14:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehawk11 View Post
Thats a bit strange that the brand owner of Jaguar, Land Rover and Tata looks so publicly ecstatic in another convertible. I wonder if Enzo Ferrari ever drove a Jaguar XKR drop-top convertible on the streets of Rome !
Yes and it's totally unrelated that his main car company, TATA Motors has a tie up with Fiat, and also is in talks to sell the same in India.

Dude you should read up on Mr. Tata before you say something like that, don't mean to offend you, but it just sounds rather dumb. Don't forget that the Taj fleets have now been changed to Jaguars. A complete changeover for all their properties is also expected within the next 2 years.
Old 25th May 2009, 14:45   #51
BHPian

Thats a good one palehawk, before the founder of lamborgini passed away some one asked him what his fav car and the reply was FERRARI (amazing for a one time truck manufacturer)

PS: tatas own 10% of pinninfarina..and they design almost all ferrari cars

Last edited by mlcarrera : 25th May 2009 at 14:52.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarrera View Post
Thats a good one palehawk, before the founder of lamborgini passed away some one asked him what his fav car and the reply was FERRARI (amazing for a one time truck manufacturer)

PS: tatas own 10% of pinninfarina..and they design almost all ferrari cars
Thats right mlcarrera,

Infact I remember watching on the History channel that the reason why Lamborghini started producing sports cars was because the owner wanted a high powered customized Ferrari and could not get the same due to Ferrari's high handedness at the time.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:18   #53
BHPian

NEW DELHI: Nearly a year after relaxing the testing norms for cars imported by individuals,the government has now decided to allow carmakers to
import left-hand drive vehicles into India albeit only for testing and research purposes.

The imported left-hand driven vehicles, senior government officials said, cannot be sold to Indian customers. "These vehicles can be imported strictly for testing purposes by companies. With most countries following the left-hand drive norms, we have decided to open up this small window to allow manufacturers access to the latest technology across the globe," a senior official with DGFT said.

The permission, the official added, has been granted following several requests from individual car makers and Siam).
India follows the right hand drive norm that's also adopted by countries like UK and South Africa. Though embassies and state missions were earlier allowed to import left hand drive cars, even this selective import was it was barred later.
Siam DG Dilip Chenoy said this would help carmakers get the latest technologies and try to adapt these to Indian technologies. "This will ensure the best from the developed world is available to Indian consumers faster than before," an industry observer said.

This comes on the heels of the government relaxing norms for individuals importing top-end cars, by waiving off the testing — or homologation — requirements. Under these norms, any individual can import a vehicle priced above Rs 20 lakh without sending it for road-worthiness tests.

Source : The Times of India January 2005 issue.
Old 27th May 2009, 01:05   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
Thats right mlcarrera,

Infact I remember watching on the History channel that the reason why Lamborghini started producing sports cars was because the owner wanted a high powered customized Ferrari and could not get the same due to Ferrari's high handedness at the time.
Pashin your story is partly correct except that Ferruccio Lamborghini got cheesed off because he wasn't happy with the clutch of his 250. When he complained personally to Enzo Ferrari, he was told the problem was with his driving. This infuriated Ferruccio and the result was a Lamborghini 350. And then..we all know what Lamoborghini is now!
Old 27th May 2009, 08:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Er guys .. while i'm all for asking questions .. don't you'll think it's a little unfair to crucify someone based on your own assumptions ?? Please .. let's not judge when we don't know the facts. There could be a multitude of explanations that are not apparent to us.
righto chief ! I am a fan of Ratan Tata. I have spoken to him once.
I was tinkering with a plane in what was then Old Airport ,Mumbai, getting it ready for a flight, early morning, and I turn around and well what do you know, Tata is standing beside me ! it was not his plane by the way, he was very casually dresses in a striped shirt and worsted pants with a bluish tie, no doubt on the way to a meeting or stuff.
Not a soul in sight, Tata asks me, " early on the job eh ?" and hen he asks if it's ok if he hangs around till his cohorts ( I assume ) turn up.
Well, me being busy and all that stuff, smile and make some small talk and get back to the job on hand and Tata saunters off with a polite " bye".
This guy is unreal, so down to earth, unassuming..I mean, I was just a newbie in aviation then ( 1992), but even then I realized the significance of the episode..( no phone cams or stuff back then , to record for posterity).
so maybe it isn't correct to flay the man, we ought to give him the benefit of doubt.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:01   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
....the reason why Lamborghini started producing sports cars ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
....When he complained personally to Enzo Ferrari, he was told the problem was with his driving....
Guys, there is a thread on this story. Check it out and add your bits there : People whom Enzo insulted (People whom Enzo insulted.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palioman View Post
so maybe it isn't correct to flay the man, we ought to give him the benefit of doubt.
Take a look at this thread :
Your most respected people in the motor industry

The number of mentions of "Ratan Tata" should give a good indication of the respect Team-BHPians have for him. (Starting from the 2nd page )

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2009 at 15:04.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:30   #57
BANNED

Its highly unlikely Ratan Tata must have done any arm twisting or played with money to get the car in India.

If he has got a LHD car registered in India, i am sure its legal.

If he had to do any of the cheap stuff he could have never got the car. He has homes abroad where he could have enjoyed the car to the fullest insted of driving around in India.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Its highly unlikely Ratan Tata must have done any arm twisting or played with money to get the car in India.

If he has got a LHD car registered in India, i am sure its legal.
Something is definitely out of place here.

Apart from LHD, car does not even have a number plate in front.

This would definitely get an average person in trouble.
Old 27th May 2009, 18:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

I don't care its a LHD , RHD or whatever. Its a 'Ferrari' and even if people find it not upto the earlier standard i will love to get it someday.
BTW no point wondering how Ratan Tata got the LHD as he won't come here and narrate it
Old 27th May 2009, 21:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Not only that. Rata Tata sits on the board of FIAT S.p.A which controlls Ferrari. Sergio probably sent one over for R.T to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Yes and it's totally unrelated that his main car company, TATA Motors has a tie up with Fiat, and also is in talks to sell the same in India.

Dude you should read up on Mr. Tata before you say something like that, don't mean to offend you, but it just sounds rather dumb. Don't forget that the Taj fleets have now been changed to Jaguars. A complete changeover for all their properties is also expected within the next 2 years.

Most Viewed