Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 18:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My cousin had picked up his 2003 M3 convertible for around 24 lakhs..
Wow! How'd he manage to get such a great deal?
If you can get some nice imports/exotics for that sort of a price, then I don't mind getting one for myself in Mumbai.
Old 8th June 2009, 18:28   #17
BHPian

Who is the typical buyer of a expensive pre-owned car?

Viz-a-viz imports I sense that the biggest advantage is that you dont have get inside the customs and other 'formalities'.

Btw The article is incomplete without any mention of the servicing costs associated with a 50 Lac car.
Old 8th June 2009, 19:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They are talking about 1 - 2 year old exotics, wait till you see the prices when they are 4 - 5 years of age! I've seen some mouth-watering deals. 3 year old M3 for low 30's, 4 year old 911 for high 30's, 3 month old A4 3.2 FSI for 32...the list is endless. Depreciation is a petrol-head's best friend (when he is the one shopping, of course ). I am FLOORED by the value in the "pre-worshipped" market.

P.S. : The article seems to be more of an advertorial for Shyam Sharma's services.
Where are you finding these cars man ! I would love to pick up a M3 or a 911/Boxster if its around 30ish anyday!
Old 8th June 2009, 19:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm... Mlcarrera the bombay showroom was asking 1.25 Cr for a used Turbo. The dealer of course would see these prices and jack up the price of the car. I agree a GTS of 06/07 would go for 1 cr but when it reaches the hands of a dealer/broker he would ask for more as his cut is in it too.
Speedy, that was 2008 turbo done 1000 kms, with ceramics.. the works, but i still think the buyer paid 1.23, 13 l more than what it was worth.a 2007 based on the usage and maintenance should be like 85 to 90 lacs i guess
Old 8th June 2009, 20:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They are talking about 1 - 2 year old exotics, wait till you see the prices when they are 4 - 5 years of age! I've seen some mouth-watering deals. 3 year old M3 for low 30's, 4 year old 911 for high 30's, 3 month old A4 3.2 FSI for 32...the list is endless.
Quote:
I agree with you completely GTO. I was offered a 97/98 911 for 20 lakhs. My cousin had picked up his 2003 M3 convertible for around 24 lakhs.
Hey guys it would be great if you could shed some more light on such deals.

@GTO I would love to pick up a 911 for around 40, would make a great weekend ride. Guys please do give some more information, as I'd love to pick something up within the next 2 months...If I can get a 911 here at that price, then I can tell dad not to book a turbo/vantage/Maser GT in the US. So need to know quick.

Thanks

Last edited by DocG : 8th June 2009 at 20:07.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Wow! How'd he manage to get such a great deal?
If you can get some nice imports/exotics for that sort of a price, then I don't mind getting one for myself in Mumbai.
It is like i said if you do the scouting yourself and talk directly to the owners you can get good deals too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarrera View Post
Speedy, that was 2008 turbo done 1000 kms, with ceramics.. the works, but i still think the buyer paid 1.23, 13 l more than what it was worth.a 2007 based on the usage and maintenance should be like 85 to 90 lacs i guess
Yes i am aware of that Mlcarrera. What i meant to say was if the person would have spoken directly to the owner then he would have had the car cheaper. I would like to catch 80 to 90 lakhs would have been a good price for the Turbo. Let me give you an Example of my dads friends car. He exchanged his old car with the facelifted model of the same designation, his car had done 16 thousand odd kms and was exchanged at 35 odd lakhs by the showroom. The very same car was put up for sale by the showroom at 60 lakh. To avoid controversies i am not mentioning the make or name of the owner. I know as my father was offered the car by his friend knowing my father is fond of them and then had a look at it in the showroom as well. Hence i saw the difference of priceing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Hey guys it would be great if you could shed some more light on such deals.
You need to talk to people keep your eyes and ears open for deals happening and then negotiate with the owners. The important thing is you have to know the brand new car price calculate the depriciation and then put a figure on the car. A 911 for 40 would be tough but a boxsterS would be possible. There was a 03 sl 500 done 9000 kms asking was 50 lakhs and also a 03 BMW 325 ci (convertible) done 26,000 odd kms asking was 25 Lakhs. The Bmw should ideally be in the 10 to 12 lakhs range.
I am currently negotiateing for a 2007 convertible done low kms asking is 25 lakhs. Mind you this is not a Porsche and i'm keeping the make under wraps for now till the deal is done for obvious reasons.

Last edited by speedy : 9th June 2009 at 11:26.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:21   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Who is the typical buyer of a expensive pre-owned car?
The "smart" type?

Quote:
Viz-a-viz imports I sense that the biggest advantage is that you dont have get inside the customs and other 'formalities'.
Actually, on the lines of the advice in the Superbike article, it is a MUST to thoroughly check the paperwork. The DRI yesterday published registration numbers of Landcruisers that they are looking out for (under invoiced & gone underground).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Where are you finding these cars man ! I would love to pick up a M3 or a 911/Boxster if its around 30ish anyday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
@GTO I would love to pick up a 911 for around 40, would make a great weekend ride. Guys please do give some more information, as I'd love to pick something up within the next 2 months...If I can get a 911 here at that price, then I can tell dad not to book a turbo/vantage/Maser GT in the US. So need to know quick.

Thanks
Cool, will drop you guys a PM if a similar deal comes up in the near future.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:26   #23
BHPian

Yes i am aware of that Mlcarrera. What i meant to say was if the person would have spoken directly to the owner then he would have had the car cheaper. I would like to catch 80 to 90 lakhs would have been a good price for the Turbo. Let me give you an Example of my dads friends car. He exchanged his old car with the facelifted model of the same designation, his car had done 16 thousand odd kms and was exchanged at 35 odd lakhs by the showroom. The very same car was put up for sale by the showroom at 60 lakh. To avoid controversies i am not mentioning the make or name of the owner. I know as my father was offered the car by his friend knowing my father is fond of them and then had a look at it in the showroom as well. Hence i saw the difference of priceing.

Hey speedy,could you help me source a turbo,have quiet a few friends in bombay, but none of them are into cars, i could come down anytime
Old 9th June 2009, 15:51   #24
BHPian

I had seen a 1 year old 325i with less than 10,000 kms that was selling for Rs. 27 lacs or so. I think 1/3rd depreciation for a 1 year old german car with less than 15,000 kms on the ODO is pretty much the norm. Also it seems like prices for second hand cars have come down a bit in the last 6 months or so.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:20   #25
BHPian

this is great, I didnt know these cars went so "cheap". Hey spiff what about that M3 that you checked out in delhi?

Whats an ideal price for an e46 (02-05) M3?
Old 9th June 2009, 20:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
I had seen a 1 year old 325i with less than 10,000 kms that was selling for Rs. 27 lacs or so. I think 1/3rd depreciation for a 1 year old german car with less than 15,000 kms on the ODO is pretty much the norm. Also it seems like prices for second hand cars have come down a bit in the last 6 months or so.
The Indian 325i is a depreciation disaster. You can easily find them in the sub 20 lak (read 18, 19 max) range in Bombay for a 2 year old example.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarrera View Post
Hey speedy,could you help me source a turbo,have quiet a few friends in bombay, but none of them are into cars, i could come down anytime
If i do come accross something i shall definately let you know. Got my eyes on the red one, but still a distant dream .
Old 10th June 2009, 13:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The prices mentioned are on the higher side and if you look for the cars yourself you would get them cheaper. The price quoted to me for the Rolls in Delhi was 3 crores and the car is still up for sale, and here he mentions the asking was 4.1 and he sold it for 3. A BMW x5 from the showroom would be better at 55/58 lakhs than getting a 2008 for 48 lakhs. The boxster s was offered at 35 lakhs with the indication that the price could be negotiated and here he offers it at 40 lakhs. This is what happens when the press get involved and do arcticles on dealers, they suddenly feel they are the only ones and the prices get jacked up.
Speedy with due respect i would like to clear some things as iam also a car dealer and understand the market well....As per what i felt that quotation of 3 cr. of the rolls is not wrong as a buyer wont ever like to pay the said amount and would want to negotiate as he feels that the dealer is keeping some cut etc in between (which not happens in most cases), or else he feels i can get the car at a better deal.So it is the dealers responsibility to keep the prices a bit high so that the buyer also gets satisfied after negotiation and the seller also gets a nearby price what he is looking for and is right price...For example :- If a person wants to sell his car@40 lakhs which is the right price according to the market, then the dealer will definitely quote 43-44 lakhs for the same to the buyer as the buyer would definitely want to negotiate

No doubt a it is better to buy a BMW X5 from showroom at price of 55-57 lakhs but when you go to showroom to buy the same thing, then the actual things come in picture that "Sir this price is for the basic version and we have many loadings available for the same car etc etc" and in the end of the day an X5 brand new comes to cost above 60. Even I was also contacted by for this article by economic times and i also told them many things about this industry but clearly mentioned not to print my name or my companies name otherwise I would have also become a topic to discuss which i dont want.

You cannot depreciate the value of the car just like 25% for first, then 15 for second etc etc...You need to see many things which i don't want to share in public forum site..If the owner is asking for a high price for the car, then it is the dealer who has to sit and tell him the actual value of the car and why and in this he can even loose a client, but still he works on it....and If the buyer is giving a too low offer or trying to be smart, then also its a dealers responsibility to make him understand....

We get so many stupid calls everyday in which either the person does not even know what he has to buy or the car what he is looking for, what is that car all about!!! People call us and say that get us a deal in which a person needs urgent money and he is ready to sell his car at the cheapest price...People want to spoil this trade badly but it is the dealers only who keep a control over the pricing.. I accept there are some wrong dealers also who want to become multi millionaires in one night but because of them, one cannot blame the whole trade.....
Old 10th June 2009, 14:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover84 View Post
Speedy with due respect i would like to clear some things as iam also a car dealer and understand the market well....As per what i felt that quotation of 3 cr. of the rolls is not wrong as a buyer wont ever like to pay the said amount and would want to negotiate as he feels that the dealer is keeping some cut etc in between (which not happens in most cases), or else he feels i can get the car at a better deal.So it is the dealers responsibility to keep the prices a bit high so that the buyer also gets satisfied after negotiation and the seller also gets a nearby price what he is looking for and is right price...For example :- If a person wants to sell his car@40 lakhs which is the right price according to the market, then the dealer will definitely quote 43-44 lakhs for the same to the buyer as the buyer would definitely want to negotiate
Carlover84 no offense taken and with that i would like to mention i am aware you deal in cars and would obviously understand the market trends and other factors. As for me i have dealt with many a dealers and like you mention there are the greedy kinds and then the clean ones. You do get a fair idea of what happens and how things work. It is but natural if a dealer is not going to make money on the car he is not going to sell it. The point discussed was of the amount added to the actual price for a car. The example of the Rolls 4.1 cr by the dealer and 3 cr from the owner. I could understand is if the dealer asked for 3.5 cr for the car knowing it would be gegotiated upon. Yes everyone wants a good deal on the car and hence the negotiations. The buyer would always want the car cheaper and the seller would want a higher price for it. The dealer is the one to ensure it goes at market value and not mark it up to the sky to make more money out of it. I agree that if you want 40 lakhs for your car you would quote 43-44 lakhs for it knowing that the buyer would negotiate it down, but asking 55 lakhs for it is not justified. I saw a 325ci 2003 model done 26thousand odd kms and the car in the condition it was in was worth not more than 10 or 12 lakhs but the dealer was asking 25 lakhs for it. I spoke to my cousin who also deals in cars and he mentioned it was not worth more than 10 according to him. Now what do you say about this. All i am saying is that dealers should keep the prices as realistic as possible. I am sure you would agree with me.

When you do go into a showroom to buy a brand new high end car you are aware of the options and you are prepared to spend on it. The first question asked by people is what is the base price of the car. There is nothing hidden from you. So the few extra rupees spent is for something of your liking. when you buy a second hand car it is of someone elses liking that you are taking over. So there is no comparrision.

I am aware there are many of us who think that way and there are many cars available in that fashion too. The markets have put many people in tight spots and the easiest thing to get rid off is the high end car. I know many such cases and i do get calls regarding this as well.

Last edited by speedy : 10th June 2009 at 14:26.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Since the trade by itself is commission driven it will always be baised/lean towards overpricing. No matter what carlover84 says, 99% of the dealers are upto this and he maybe part of the 1% so all generalisation on dealers out here is completely legitimate. I have come across more situations like the one speedy mentioned over crazy inflations in prices than respectable/clean dealers. Its like a needle in a hay stalk

Some of the most reputed "dealers" in most metros are known to be the most unprofessional and the least resourcefull.

Most Viewed