Team-BHP - minor accident in my x5. help needed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   minor accident in my x5. help needed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/61937-minor-accident-my-x5-help-needed.html)

guys,

i've had a small collision. please see pics here:
Name:  x1.jpg
Views: 4181
Size:  240.8 KB
minor accident in my x5. help needed-x2.jpg

bmw said they do not repair but will replace parts. the major parts they said that would be required to be changed are

1. front left fender
2. left headlamp
3. front bumper

The total estimate they had given was Rs 2.13 lac + 6k for labour charges. I find this absurd. Why is this so expensive?

I am insured with ICICI lombard. all the parts that I have mentioned above are plastic. Does this mean that I will have to pay for 50% of the parts myself?

I had also gone to EMW (European Motor Works in Udyog Vihar) and they have said that there is no point getting the bumper and front left fender replaced. They said confidently that these can be repaired. Does anyone know about them? Is Patel Auto better? They said the headlamp will need to be changed because there is a crack in the plastic covering.

Can you guys please advise what I should do? Any help really appreciated.

Thanks!

Thats indeed a bad crash! What happenned ???

i dont think that the fender will be make up of plastic.

please post some full front and side damage pics.

PS. Where do you stay in delhi

Parts of the beamer are relatively less expensive in the gulf.
My friend picked up filters, wiper blades and some more stuff for his 530d and x5.
Find out what parts they need and inquire there, however see if anyone coming home as it does not make sense to incur higher cost for transporting, the lights can be carried by someone, bumper, I am not sure.

Patel Auto is definitely good, I rate their workmanship with such cases quite above par. Do check with them.

You'll definitely need to change the headlamp wholesale. Impossible to get the plastic front on it's own. The bumper looks like all it needs is some minor tinkering and a paint job. But the portion near the fog lamp looks like something has broken off - that may have to be jugaad-ed. The fender definitely should be metal. Tap it and see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalZ (Post 1390269)
You'll definitely need to change the headlamp wholesale. Impossible to get the plastic front on it's own. The bumper looks like all it needs is some minor tinkering and a paint job. But the portion near the fog lamp looks like something has broken off - that may have to be jugaad-ed. The fender definitely should be metal. Tap it and see.

The fender is plastic for sure.

Please see the pics I have just taken (sorry about the large pics - don't know how to re-size)

BMW had advised me not to go to anyone outside BMW because they say you will loose some body and paint warranty....

this is where BMW secure comes in handy :)

anyway I would recommend you get an eval done by Bird Automotive as well in gurgaon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiff (Post 1390303)

anyway I would recommend you get an eval done by Bird Automotive as well in gurgaon.

I did. They are the ones who quoted the price mentioned in my OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiff (Post 1390303)

how does it come in handy ? even if you bang they pay for it ? kind of confused :)

BMW believes in replacing parts and not repairing them!

its better you visit some reputed bodyshops like Pandit & Co in Okhla and get a good advice from the senior Pandit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 1390369)
how does it come in handy ? even if you bang they pay for it ? kind of confused :)

Instead of paying for 50% they cover 100% :) so you would just pay 6k for the labour in this case.

that by no means a small crash. bro if you spent 65l on an x5 be prepared to pay alot if you have to repair it. the headlamp itself will probably be 65k.

Couple of sites say price for the headlight is approx 200$.
If BMW guys local says more maybe it can be sourced from ebay.

Might be possible to get the bumper fixed, there was a thread which said about quick roadside fix for bumpers that was pretty good.

It was "tested" by one of the mods of the forum, please see link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1329801

After fixing get it painted by a reputed garage.

2L seems too high. Maybe the higher cost of the car might justify the number of zeros in the spares price tag.

EDIT: There seems to be damage to the fender as well in the first pic, hard to say if its a scratch or serious damage to metal.
That might need a specialized garage to get a perfect fix.

This policy mentioned that BMW doesn't repair is BS. I have got several minor body damages repaired. They urge you to replace but be stern that you are only looking for repair, they will finally fall in place. The headlamp will have to be replaced but the bumper and fender can be easily fixed back with new clips and touch up job which should not cost much. If you want a perfect job paint it but there is no need for replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiff (Post 1390384)
Instead of paying for 50% they cover 100% :) so you would just pay 6k for the labour in this case.

wow so on a 5 series how much would be the secure scheme for. 6k would not be bad at all in this case. damn i pay more than that for my honda.