Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Importing a used car on transfer of residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhkitt View Post
Not sure what I am doing wrong but I am not able to PM you. I am also in the same boat and thinking of shipping my cars from US to India on transfer of residence.
You're still a newbie thats why. I think PM facility will be activated only after you cross 25 posts or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Permanently importing any car which is not RHD (and is not set up for "keep left" traffic) is expressly prohibited by law. You will need to sell your cars in the US before relocating back to India.
Yes you're correct here, but as in case of almost everything legal in our country, there's a very expensive loophole here as well as I understand.

Quote:
Yes, thats what i keep hearing everywhere

Since its an E92 M3 and a M135i convertible each of which took me a while to hunt down - hence the ask. Thinking of putting it in long term storage. Will see.
I understand/beileve that, before exporting, if you can convert the cars to RHD with a proper authorised establishment and get a certificate that effect that they are now set up for RHD, then with payment of additional fee (as deemed by the Customs Collector of importing port area) you can bring them in or genuine TR cases.

Without PM activation I am at a loss to convey the address of C&F Agent to you

If you ask me its a real pain and not worth the effort to get a Vehicle of TR to India. The cars you want to are beautiful ones, but you are not going to enjoy them as much in our infrastructure here.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 20:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, thats what i keep hearing everywhere

Since its an E92 M3 and a M135i convertible each of which took me a while to hunt down - hence the ask. Thinking of putting it in long term storage. Will see.

In the meanwhile looking to understand more of the Indian car scene
Do you still have these two cars with you? Please donate them to me, especially the E92 I have the roads here to open them up too!!

I don't think it is that easy anymore to bring in cars under TR scheme and especially from my researching on bringing in LHD cars, the results so far has always been negative.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:58   #63
Team-BHP Support

Let me add to this. The Deputy British High Commissioner in Bangalore imported his LHD honda Oddessy from Doha. He somehow got it through customs but as it was his personal car, it had to be locally registered. Thet led to complications. It took over 4 months to resolve. I dont know how it got sorted though.

The Swiss Deputy High Commissioner here had an LHD Jaguar XF. That was on diplomatic plates. When he left, so did the car. I think he moved to Taiwan.

Last edited by ajmat : 13th January 2021 at 17:43.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Let me add to this. The Deputy British High Commissioner in Bangalore imported his LHD honda Oddessy from Doha.
He went through all that trouble for an Oddessy? He could have just got something Indian instead, like a Range Rover.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 15:26   #65
BHPian

Re: Supercars & Imports : Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLANTE View Post
Holden Statesman Caprice

Attachment 2106074

Pics by : s_5050
All black theme is not my thing but this car has a slick look. I just wish the owner had skipped that Corvette Badge (on the boot lid).

Seems to be a V6 model (twin exhausts and no factory HID). It is a very spacious, comfotable & "adequately fast" long distance cruiser. BTW, Is this a Kerala registered car?
Old 11th January 2021, 16:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
BTW, Is this a Kerala registered car?
No, re-registration yet to happen though the car is in Kerala. Currently on TN 66 plates.
Old 11th January 2021, 17:37   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLANTE View Post
No, re-registration yet to happen though the car is in Kerala. Currently on TN 66 plates.
That is good to know. I am a Holden owner myself and I would love to take her back home with me - when I move back to India. But the costs are just prohibitive and the procedures are too complicated for the average joe. Its not worth the effort, unless there is a story linked to the car. Any chance that this one has an interesting story?
Old 13th January 2021, 09:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
That is good to know. I am a Holden owner myself and I would love to take her back home with me - when I move back to India. But the costs are just prohibitive and the procedures are too complicated for the average joe. Its not worth the effort, unless there is a story linked to the car. Any chance that this one has an interesting story?
It's not worth the effort even if it's an SS, not worth the hassle, it's not as special a car to hold value nor will it be easy to run here. The only reason I can think of is emotional, to 'stand out' and availability of excess disposable funds. Otherwise you have better cars available here, me thinks.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo View Post
It's not worth the effort even if it's an SS, not worth the hassle, it's not as special a car to hold value nor will it be easy to run here. The only reason I can think of is emotional, to 'stand out' and availability of excess disposable funds. Otherwise you have better cars available here, me thinks.
I agree. Keeping the emotional factor aside, I don't think anything on offer in India currently can match my car - at the price it comes at. The value for money quotient is exceptional. Lookup Holden Calais V 2016 V (or the Chevy SS sedan) and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Headline figures - 6.2L LS3 V8 putting out ~460 hp and ~570 N⋅m driving rear wheels via an LSD. All that in a right hand drive car as spacious as an E class/ 5 series and comes with most of the relevant creature comforts as standard. That package cost me approx. INR 20,00,000 with ~20k kms on the ODO.

I hate the damn import processes and regulations!!

Last edited by MaddyCrew : 13th January 2021 at 09:35. Reason: Updated some details
MaddyCrew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Just to Caution people planning to bring their favourite vehicle/s on Transfer of Residence (I had done int in 2013) - provisions, one simple advise - Please don't. Its not worth it.

Especially if the Vehicle is being sold in India - its much better to buy one here NEW than go through the rigmarole of the lengthy process.

However deep your pockets are and you have legions under you to do the rounds of RTO and/or "Agents" its going to be a laborious process to say the least.

I am currently know of one such imports - apparently as per Bangalore RTO, nothing is in their initiative. All they can do is to submit all scanned copies of documents in the "Central MOT Portal" and "rise a request" for registering the vehicle and WAIT

There is no definitive timeframe when the MOT Portal will reply and so on so forth

If the vehicle is listed in the MOT data base is the next question (in the drop down list of vehicles and manufacturers in the RTO user systems

Then the final question will be - Who will issue the HSRP and who has the responsibility to fit it on the vehicle etc - The local dealer of the Brand definitely will not do it or get involved - as the HSRP is almost like a "Holy Grail or Pandora's Box" that no one wants to touch.

So a humble suggestion to all those who are contemplating this route is - please don't walk into this quagmire
r_nairtvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 19:37   #71

Hi Ritesh, I am quite interested in speaking to you about using your services to bring a car from UK to India. Whats the best way to contact you please ? I was an active member until 2009 and then moved to UK. lookingt o come back and cannot seem to send any PMs yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
T/R stands for Transfer of Residence and is a wider term than just import of Car under T/R. How can it get abolished? People get a lot of things under T/R which get beneficial duty rate.
So T/R still exists under the Baggage Rules of Customs Act 1962.
There is no quota set for T/R. There are 14 listed items that have beneficial duty rates under T/R rules.

Import of Car under T/R

1) Homologation condition is exempted for import under T/R .
2) Original poster. How was your car registered in your name for last 1 year if it was a RHD and you are in the USA? Since this is hard to digest, you will end up with like other imports that are stuck in the Indian Customs.
The car has to be registered in your name for last 1 year . There is no mention of age of car in the baggage rules. The only mention is of road worthiness of 5 years post import into India and service support locally, but this condition is exempted for T/R imports.

To sum it up, if you owned a car in UK/Japan/Australia/NZ/South Africa, your car can be imported, else it is not possible. Even a RHD from UAE is not allowed, even if you say that you were using it for off-roading and didn't require registration.

If anyone wants a copy of Car import conditions, pm me with your email ID and I will forward the same.

P.S. I own a Custom House agency and am a qualified custom house agent. Ours is a 68 year old firm and we have being dealing with T/R and Unaccompanied Baggage for the last 40 years.
I have researched the information provided above.

If anyone promises you, that they can import for you , please do so at your own risk.
If you have strong political connections with , both the ruling and opposition party, then only go ahead and buy an Import, else if you are an ordinary person like me, be happy with what is available here.
Bogus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 12:41   #72
BHPian

In a similar position as you. Got a '14 Holden Commodore SS manual and hope to bring it home when I leave.

Quote:
I agree. Keeping the emotional factor aside, I don't think anything on offer in India currently can match my car - at the price it comes at. The value for money quotient is exceptional. Lookup Holden Calais V 2016 V (or the Chevy SS sedan) and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Headline figures - 6.2L LS3 V8 putting out ~460 hp and ~570 N⋅m driving rear wheels via an LSD. All that in a right hand drive car as spacious as an E class/ 5 series and comes with most of the relevant creature comforts as standard. That package cost me approx. INR 20,00,000 with ~20k kms on the ODO.

I hate the damn import processes and regulations!!
It has to be possible. I firmly believe that. India cannot be that difficult nowadays as more and more things go online. I don't expect it to be cheap but if so many carnets are coming into India and being used for a few months before being taken back, a TR import cannot be impossible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks