Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 14:06   #46
BHPian

Re: Importing a used car on transfer of residence

Oh! Bad news for importing cars then.
Regarding bikes, i think most of the bikes can be locally sourced nowadays without going through the hassle of importing ourselves.

I appreciate the thought about local manufacturers and dealers and it is important for the economy too, but certain cars will not be reproduced as they were. Hence the thought of importing, also they will be few in numbers too.

I guess authorities should think about classic cars (not just pre 1950's vintage)
Just love some of the '80s cars.
Old 7th July 2015, 14:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a LHD USDM 8th gen Civic plying on the roads of Chennai with a valid TN registration. IIRC, the series is TN-04. I have also seen this car at the HASS a couple of times. Not sure how this import was possible. Driving an RHD Civic on the arterial roads of Chennai by itself is a task and I wonder how it would be for a LHD Civic.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:48   #48
BHPian

Had a question to seniors part of this thread. I will be moving shortly to London, UK on a long term basis & currently own a Rapid 2012. Do you guys think it will be better to sell it here (since I know car is not a necessity in UK) or is exporting it a viable option ?
Old 7th July 2015, 22:03   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRapid View Post
. Do you guys think it will be better to sell it here (since I know car is not a necessity in UK) or is exporting it a viable option ?
Dont even go there! Since it has never been sold there you will need to get special type approval. Insurance for an odd ball car will be tough and expensive, and also the cost of shipping it! If you want to sell, you will get peanuts for it
Old 8th July 2015, 02:50   #50
BHPian

Agree with ajmat.
Owning an imported car in uk is tough. Insuring the car will be a nightmare.it can cost 3 times the car, if you are a new uk driver.
Since you said london, think about congestion charges too.

Still im sure you will find a ride here in UK to keep you happy.
Happy to help if you need.
Old 19th July 2015, 14:44   #51
BHPian

Apparently the 3 year old rule is overlooked these days. I know a TON of classic cars imported on TR.
Old 19th July 2015, 21:49   #52
BHPian

Importing a used car on transfer of residence

For Importing a car under TR the main rules are
1. The vehicle should be owned/registered in your name for over a year
2. Should be right hand drive
3. The person importing under TR should not have a stay in india over 180 days combined in the past three years.

4. Regarding the value of the vehicle, if you have the original invoices then it's quite straight forward otherwise a charted surveyor will value the vehicle based on the international prices of the said vehicle at the time of the import.
The customs duty depends on the engine size .
I imported a Kawasaki ZZR600 1990 in 2012 and a 500SL 19991 last month.

Attachment 1393676

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2015 at 18:38. Reason: Hi, could you please re-upload this attachment. Once done, report the post and we'll merge it with this post. Thanks!
Sem80-88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 21:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sem80-88 View Post
For Importing a car under TR the main rules are
1. The vehicle should be owned/registered in your name for over a year
2. Should be right hand drive
3. The person importing under TR should not have a stay in india over 180 days combined in the past three years.

4. Regarding the value of the vehicle, if you have the original invoices then it's quite straight forward otherwise a charted surveyor will value the vehicle based on the international prices of the said vehicle at the time of the import.
The customs duty depends on the engine size .
I imported a Kawasaki ZZR600 1990 in 2012 and a 500SL 19991 last month.

Attachment 1393676

Oh. that is a ray of hope now. Which port did you ship to?
How much tax (or % * value) did you pay?
Old 28th July 2015, 20:27   #54
BHPian

Also, did you mean to attach anything?
Not able to open.
Old 31st July 2015, 21:37   #55
BHPian

Importing a used car on transfer of residence-imageuploadedbyteambhp1438358745.672382.jpg

That is what the customs valued the car at. Above 3500cc the duty is about 210%
Will get the papers out and get details
Sem80-88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 08:39   #56
BHPian

Hi All - Logged into the Forum after a seriously long time!!

Nice to see this place still rocks and even harder than before.

I have been based in Sydney/Australia for almost 4.5 years now and am planning to move back to Pune.

Having bought the 2013 (MY2014) Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (3.6 Petrol) here and fallen is love with it ever since. Pretty much driven it up and down the east coast and it now gets more love from the family than my Safari did in Pune. Was wondering if I can get it to India on a 'Transfer of Residence' - how much would it cost, has someone doen this before from Australia or who is a good agent that
someone can recommend in Mumbai (Or any other place) to help ensure this goes smoothly?

As always, look forward to the members to shed some light on this, so that I can continue to love this great car in Pune as well.

Thanks in advance..

Cheers.
Old 24th December 2017, 11:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Having bought the 2013 (MY2014) Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (3.6 Petrol) here and fallen is love with it ever since. Pretty much driven it up and down the east coast and it now gets more love from the family than my Safari did in Pune. Was wondering if I can get it to India on a 'Transfer of Residence' - how much would it cost, has someone doen this before from Australia or who is a good agent that
someone can recommend in Mumbai (Or any other place) to help ensure this goes smoothly?
Short answer - NOT WORTH IT !!!!

Have gone that route in 2013 with my Bonnieville, hence, I think I am qualified to reply.

I will qualify my short answer to "specially if the same car/bike is available in India)

Since you are coming in from Oz, I take that the vehichle is RHD

The vehicles brought in on TR is eligible for a depreciation @ 15% per annum up to a maximum of 70%. On the residual value the Customs Duty will work out about 140% +++

In addition there are all kinds of incidental charges at port and customs house etc + Clearing house charges etc.

After that its going to be a long drawn process with the local RTO where you would want to register the car. To complete this smoothly you need a lot of time & patience or/lot of clout locally or/fairly deep pockets.

If you wish I can give you the contacts of the Clearing and Forwarding agent I used. I know that some "big names" in Poona also have used the same clearing agency for their recent imports of "classics". Please PM me for contact details if interested.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:45   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Short answer - NOT WORTH IT !!!!

Have gone that route in 2013 with my Bonnieville, hence, I think I am qualified to reply.

I will qualify my short answer to "specially if the same car/bike is available in India)

Since you are coming in from Oz, I take that the vehichle is RHD

The vehicles brought in on TR is eligible for a depreciation @ 15% per annum up to a maximum of 70%. On the residual value the Customs Duty will work out about 140% +++

In addition there are all kinds of incidental charges at port and customs house etc + Clearing house charges etc.

After that its going to be a long drawn process with the local RTO where you would want to register the car. To complete this smoothly you need a lot of time & patience or/lot of clout locally or/fairly deep pockets.

If you wish I can give you the contacts of the Clearing and Forwarding agent I used. I know that some "big names" in Poona also have used the same clearing agency for their recent imports of "classics". Please PM me for contact details if interested.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Not sure what I am doing wrong but I am not able to PM you. I am also in the same boat and thinking of shipping my cars from US to India on transfer of residence.

Would definitely be interested in talking to the clearing agent to understand the pitfalls..
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhkitt View Post
Not sure what I am doing wrong but I am not able to PM you. I am also in the same boat and thinking of shipping my cars from US to India on transfer of residence.

Would definitely be interested in talking to the clearing agent to understand the pitfalls..
Permanently importing any car which is not RHD (and is not set up for "keep left" traffic) is expressly prohibited by law. You will need to sell your cars in the US before relocating back to India.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:25   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Permanently importing any car which is not RHD (and is not set up for "keep left" traffic) is expressly prohibited by law. You will need to sell your cars in the US before relocating back to India.
Yes, thats what i keep hearing everywhere

Since its an E92 M3 and a M135i convertible each of which took me a while to hunt down - hence the ask. Thinking of putting it in long term storage. Will see.

In the meanwhile looking to understand more of the Indian car scene

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks