Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 12:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your *new* 123 is a beauty! Superbly maintained. Congrats! Just the drive from bangalore to mumbai must have built your confidence in the car. The interiors just don't look like that of a 27 year old car. These Mercs, I tell ya! She's clean on the outside too. OEM wheel caps et al. The beauty of a W123 has to be its mechanical simplicity and robustness. Am sure that the 300D will serve you well for a long time to come.

I came this close to buying an 80's V8 Mercedes in recent time. Well, some other time I guess.
Thanks! its a simple well designed robust vehicle. I can see people turning their heads when the car passes. People don't even look at me when I drive the C class. Its a different feeling and this will drive me to keep the car in the best of conditions. The car at present is in Garage for rear wheel bearing changes, servicing, oil change, diesel and air filter change. Its currently going through all mechanical tests to make sure everything is just perfect.

I will keep posting with new pics and updates from time to time.

Coincidence: My brothers C lass last 4 digits 7227 2002 model and 300D last 4 dights 8228.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 22:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is the most pristine W series i have seen.Wonderful acquisition.Good luck and happy motoring with the 3 pointed star.
Old 30th October 2009, 00:51   #18
BHPian

Congrats thats a nice car indeed. I had seen this car earlier when in bangalore well maintained.

Sourcing parts would not be as difficult as it may be in bangalore. i some times do order parts from pioneer automobiles and they have it shipped it here. If you need contact nos. pls PM.

refer followeing tread on my 300d 1983.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...nz-300d-3.html

cheers pradeep
Old 30th October 2009, 11:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
This is the most pristine W series i have seen.Wonderful acquisition.Good luck and happy motoring with the 3 pointed star.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa1955 View Post
Congrats thats a nice car indeed. I had seen this car earlier when in bangalore well maintained.

Sourcing parts would not be as difficult as it may be in bangalore. i some times do order parts from pioneer automobiles and they have it shipped it here. If you need contact nos. pls PM.

refer followeing tread on my 300d 1983.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...nz-300d-3.html

cheers pradeep
I have sourced parts from Opera house (actually very easy to get the parts) I got original made in germany bearings and Indian make rear axel boot 4 sets. The car should be ready today and hopefully kicking.

I saw you car it looks clean good to know that there are others taking care of this beauty . I hope your problem is solved and keep us updated.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

taazman that dashboard has no cracks or there are some in the corners? pics not clear
Old 30th October 2009, 12:11   #21
BHPian

Congratulations!! she is one well maintained W123, do post some more pics though.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:39   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have sourced parts from Opera house (actually very easy to get the parts)
For potential classic Merc owners, can I request you to highlit the procedures, troubles and experiences with sourcing parts? Thanks
Old 30th October 2009, 20:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For potential classic Merc owners, can I request you to highlit the procedures, troubles and experiences with sourcing parts? Thanks
Yes, especially spare prices, please.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:20   #24
BHPian

Hey Tazmaan !

She looks fabulous Congrats on your buy !

Reminds me of the time when i was a schoolboy, i would stare at a Merc that passed by with my mouth wide open and think about it for a long time after, such a wonderful classic shape !

There's a kind of special charm about these Merc's & the fact that you did it from Blore to Mumbai hassle free speaks volumes about the special way in which they were built !!!

All the best for your experience ! PLs do post more pics, loved pic no. 2. such classic lines !!!
Old 30th October 2009, 21:40   #25
BHPian

Isn't this the "Henna Green" colour offered in Maruti Esteems and 800s?
Old 31st October 2009, 11:09   #26
BHPian

That's a brilliant looking car. I've always wanted to buy a W123 Merc.....Maybe someday.

Anyway, Congrats on taking the plunge. Keep us posted on the maintenance front for the benefit of us wanna-be W123 owners.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. That brilliant color & lovely acquisition.Wanna steal the vehicle, BTW where do you stay in B'lore

2.5L kmp still going strong. That's the beauty of German Engineering.
Waiting for you travelogue to be posted with PICS.
Old 31st October 2009, 13:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Hey Tazmaan !

She looks fabulous Congrats on your buy !

Reminds me of the time when i was a schoolboy, i would stare at a Merc that passed by with my mouth wide open and think about it for a long time after, such a wonderful classic shape !

There's a kind of special charm about these Merc's & the fact that you did it from Blore to Mumbai hassle free speaks volumes about the special way in which they were built !!!

All the best for your experience ! PLs do post more pics, loved pic no. 2. such classic lines !!!
Thank you and yes you can draw a straight line aim and keep driving.

Quote:
The mechanical parts (read engine/transmission) are very easily available. I had to get the bearings for rear right hub from opera house and the axel boots from opera house.

Heres the cost:
1. Bearings 2 sets: 2500 + vat originals made in germany
2. Axel boots 4 sets : 1800 + vat indian make (the originals were 1300 each)
3. grease
4. Labor: not paid anything yet will be approx 2000 half to be paid now and half after I am satisfied.

The mechanic bought the spares from opera house. He had to place the order one day in advance. My mechanic is a local mechanic and normally works on imports. He knew exactly what to get from where. He was referred to me by a friend and he did all the work at my house garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats. That brilliant color & lovely acquisition.Wanna steal the vehicle, BTW where do you stay in B'lore

2.5L kmp still going strong. That's the beauty of German Engineering.
Waiting for you travelogue to be posted with PICS.
I stay in mumbai far from your reach . I am planning a photo session tomorrow and will post the pics very soon.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2009, 15:27   #29
BHPian

Really beautiful and well maintained. Kudos to the earlier owner for keepping her in such fantastic shape! Take good care to prevent rusting in the Mumbai rains, and this can be a priceless classic soon
Old 31st October 2009, 16:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car and very well kept too. It is a bit much to expect the car of such vintage to be in original paint. A W123 is built like a tank. I would refer the W114/5 and the W123 cars as the tanks. They are almost go anywhere vehicles. If they had 4X4 transmissions, they would almost be like Jeeps.

I have noticed something here. The Gear lever. It appears to be too high. Check out the positioning in the pic below to see approximately where it should be. In the car in question, the rod seems to be a tad longer. I wonder why? At first i thought it was the camera angle but its not that. The shifter is a bit longer than it should be....or is it just me??

This is how tall the shifter should be

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-centerdash.jpg

Could you please post more pics of the front and rear and the engine bay please?

I did read that the car was sluggish. Well a W123 300D is most definitely not. Its a five cylinder engine and in its manual mode it should whip some serious backsides. Dont expect it to be a Crdi or a PD equivalent in terms of power, these are later technologies. But the 300D was not low in power or pick up. This car has clocked a lot of miles, so there must be the required wear and tear.

Maybe you need to service her thoroughly. The Pump may need to be set. Check for the original injectors. Most probably the injectors in your car would be of the Indian Force engine. Replace them with DB Anti Knock injectors and see the difference.

The car has done very high mileage so check the piston rings.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks