Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 20:16   #76
BHPian

re: Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!

Hey Tazmaan, beautiful car there. I saw the ad for your car on the classified section.

I am interested in it. But can you just upload recent pics of the car? If I am not wrong all this pics are 3 years old. Need to see the current condition of the car. Then I can come to Mumbai to see the car. Please upload the current pictures of Interior as well as exterior.

Cheers
Musclecar.
musclecar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 12:18   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
How long do you intend to run the car on CAP plates in Mumbai? It can become an expensive problem for you. Every time you take the car out of Mumbai, keep some petrol and toll receipts to prove that the car is not in Mumbai permanently.
Better still, if you are keeping the car in Mumbai, get it re-registered, particularly if you are using her regularly. Someone with a Bangaluru registered Santro was checked at Parel, and paid 1000's, how many don't ask.

Just a word of caution.

Cheers harit
Old 6th April 2013, 12:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Hey Tazmaan, beautiful car there. I saw the ad for your car on the classified section.

I am interested in it. But can you just upload recent pics of the car? If I am not wrong all this pics are 3 years old. Need to see the current condition of the car. Then I can come to Mumbai to see the car. Please upload the current pictures of Interior as well as exterior.

Cheers
Musclecar.
Yes I will trust me it looks exactly the same if not better. I am traveling will post the new pics. The Captain just got spa treatment yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi!
How long do you intend to run the car on CAP plates in Mumbai? It can become an expensive problem for you. Every time you take the car out of Mumbai, keep some petrol and toll receipts to prove that the car is not in Mumbai permanently.
Better still, if you are keeping the car in Mumbai, get it re-registered, particularly if you are using her regularly. Someone with a Bangaluru registered Santro was checked at Parel, and paid 1000's, how many don't ask.

Just a word of caution.

Cheers harit
I have been stopped a couple of times in three years good thing is cops don't understand cap Rego. 100 rs both times even with Mumbai PUC. Registering with Mumbai will force a number change which is not acceptable to me.
Old 16th August 2013, 09:39   #79
BHPian

Well I have decided not the sell the car. I initially planned to buy a V6 W126 but there are hardly good specimen available and the once available are too expensive.

I now plan to install a V8 (merc or any other) in my W123. There is nothing wrong with this engine its powerful enough to take it past 140 but I want more and different.

I am looking for a V8 with transmission here in India which is very difficult to source, I am also looking for someone who can help me upgrade in a phased manner. I dont want any mods in looks department. If I cant find an engine I will have to look for an import from Aus or USA.

Let me know if anyone knows a a place from where I can source the engine. Preferably looking for a carburetor one (easy electricals) and not mpfi.
Old 20th August 2013, 19:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Well I have decided not the sell the car. I initially planned to buy a V6 W126 but there are hardly good specimen available and the once available are too expensive.

I now plan to install a V8 (merc or any other) in my W123. There is nothing wrong with this engine its powerful enough to take it past 140 but I want more and different.

I am looking for a V8 with transmission here in India which is very difficult to source, I am also looking for someone who can help me upgrade in a phased manner. I dont want any mods in looks department. If I cant find an engine I will have to look for an import from Aus or USA.

Let me know if anyone knows a a place from where I can source the engine. Preferably looking for a carburetor one (easy electricals) and not mpfi.
FYI RTO regulations don't permit such engine swaps, and things are not what they used to be in terms of enforsement and 3rd party insurance (not being honoured in case of a claim = criminal offence). Rs 100 will not get you out of this particular predicament, of course unless you are above the law
Old 8th October 2013, 23:37   #81
BHPian

Driving down to Bangalore tomorrow. I have to get the fitness certificate renewed by 22nd Oct . will leave the car in Bangalore for some time with my sister.

Got the service done, oil change, greasing, all vitals checked and am ready to go.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 01:50   #82
BHPian

Started at 9:30am reached at 12:30 am. Again a journey I will never forget. No issues with the car everything worked the way it was designed to.

One pic.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131010_014910.png
Views: 2888
Size:  511.5 KB
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 21:28   #83
BHPian

The fitness certificate will be renewed tomorrow and will get her back soon. Mean while I bought something and I guess we will have to close this thread here.
Attached Images

Old 22nd October 2013, 10:04   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
The fitness certificate will be renewed tomorrow and will get her back soon. Mean while I bought something and I guess we will have to close this thread here.
6 Cylinders?
More details please
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:40   #85
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a 280 S of some sort

Is it a w114? There have been a couple of them for sale recently
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Its a M103 from W123/W201/W124 260E or 280E??
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:14   #87
BHPian

Its 3ltr M103 carburetor version with catalyst and auto transmission from a W126 SEL.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

Are you really intent on making such an engine swap? Because in my, and many others opinion sacrificing an OM617 with a M103 is NOT worth it. Even the Regional Transport Offices do not permit such a swap. You will simply be buggering a perfectly good W123. Even if you are really intent, in my opinion, you should go for a fuel injected engine.

Too many classic Mercs have been buggered up in the past. Kindly refrain from adding one more to the number.

However, the ultimate choice is yours.

P.S: Where did you you source the M103 from?
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:43   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Are you really intent on making such an engine swap? Because in my, and many others opinion sacrificing an OM617 with a M103 is NOT worth it. Even the Regional Transport Offices do not permit such a swap.

Too many classic Mercs have been buggered up in the past. Kindly refrain from adding one more to the number

However, the ultimate choice is yours.

P.S: Where did you you source the M103 from?
I totally understand what you say. Currently the engine is under test to see fuel consumption pollution etc at the garage. I have been warned about any engine swaps but it's like things you do and not regret later not doing it.

Regarding the engine, I got it from a known person. I could not save the car but just the running gear. I have got everything from radiator to pedal assembly and even the abs module.
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Tazmaan, please do not change the engine. Changing engines needlessly is a massive blunder. Her market value could plummet. There was once a Delhi based black w124 two door 'coupe' , that i liked, but with similar engine change history and consequent low classic value, and hence did not buy the same.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed