Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 23:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi V16 that gear lever looks taller because the wooden head is taller and I also suspect it has not been screwed in completely therefore standing taller! Also these typical fareastern after market knobs have a shallower (shorter inner lenght) hole where as german cars especially the 123's have a longer neck/rods and longer/taller are covered with thread which is why always advisable to put the orignal rubber knob. I believe even the tatamobile/sierra/safari knobs fiit ! : ) cheers
Old 1st November 2009, 08:49   #32

A W123 under Resto in Madras

Great buy, Tazmaan, congratulate you on getting such a fine example and on your taste. Also for that very interesting post on the journey to Bombay. Give us a review after 3 months.

Yesterday at the gas station, I chanced across this W123 which is in the course of getting all the TLC it had doubtless been crying out loud for. Chatted with the owner, Fazal, who explained the car is undergoing restoration. He has painted the vehicle (it is the original shade,, he says) but it is yet to bee polished. It is a US spec, 1985 300 TD, left hooker with just under 90 K miles on the odo. Fazal thinks he will get the car fully ready in 4 to 6 weeks. She is mechanically in sound shape.

He has been good enough to give me his cell number and I will try to update on the resto's progress. I may also persuade him to join Team BHP and post the story himself, let us see. Meanwhile some pics, door panels ripped out, interior looking like a moon crater except for driver's seat, the car was idling when I shot the dash but you can see that some gauges need fixing :

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-fazals-w123-1.jpg

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-fazals-w123-2.jpg

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-fazals-w123-3.jpg

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-fazals-w123-4.jpg

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-fazals-w123-5.jpg

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-fazals-w123-6.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Dear All,

I have bought a 1982 Merc W123 300D from a fellow BHPian from Banglore.

It has done approx 2.5 lac kms with brand new tires and almost everything stock.

I have driven it back to Mumbai approx 1000 kms non stop and the car managed it without any fuss. (It has passed the endurance test)

I intend to keep the car as clean and stock as possible and will soon post my initial experience and about the drive from Banglore to Mumbai.

I have attached the pics enjoy! (Pics taken by the previous owner).
Stetson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2009, 09:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great one Stetson. I am the proud owner of a brilliant 300TD American spec myself. These are fantastic to drive, once you get a hang of the LHD.

The American spec 300Ds came with an automatic transmission, turbocharged engine and have many goodies like cruise control etc, etc.

Please post pics post restoration. Thanks.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:03   #34
BHPian

That is an amazingly maintained Merc. congrats to the owner
Old 4th November 2009, 21:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
Great buy, Tazmaan, congratulate you on getting such a fine example and on your taste. Also for that very interesting post on the journey to Bombay. Give us a review after 3 months.

Yesterday at the gas station, I chanced across this W123 which is in the course of getting all the TLC it had doubtless been crying out loud for. Chatted with the owner, Fazal, who explained the car is undergoing restoration. He has painted the vehicle (it is the original shade,, he says) but it is yet to bee polished. It is a US spec, 1985 300 TD, left hooker with just under 90 K miles on the odo. Fazal thinks he will get the car fully ready in 4 to 6 weeks. She is mechanically in sound shape.

He has been good enough to give me his cell number and I will try to update on the resto's progress. I may also persuade him to join Team BHP and post the story himself, let us see. Meanwhile some pics, door panels ripped out, interior looking like a moon crater except for driver's seat, the car was idling when I shot the dash but you can see that some gauges need fixing :

Attachment 219102

Attachment 219103

Attachment 219104

Attachment 219105

Attachment 219106

Attachment 219107

hai stetson the headlights are not american specs it should two roundlights white &yellow
Old 5th November 2009, 13:27   #36
BHPian

Great buy there, the cars looks very well maintained. Hope you enjoy the experience. Keep us posted on it. Drive safe.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Taazman, Speedy and I saw the green car in bandra near Gazebo Oriental how about some more pics of the car mate would love to see the right side as well as most/all pics you have posted are of the left.

Is the trunk/rear section sagging on that side because it seemed so?

Last edited by canonball : 5th November 2009 at 14:21.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:23   #38
BHPian

was thinking about buying this car but got discouraged by the distance to Bombay and the high mileage. Still, looks in great shape and Im happy another W123 owner has joined us
Old 10th November 2009, 11:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Taazman, Speedy and I saw the green car in bandra near Gazebo Oriental how about some more pics of the car mate would love to see the right side as well as most/all pics you have posted are of the left.

Is the trunk/rear section sagging on that side because it seemed so?
No there is no problem with the right side I will post the pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
was thinking about buying this car but got discouraged by the distance to Bombay and the high mileage. Still, looks in great shape and Im happy another W123 owner has joined us
Yes the Milage is high but if you average it out over 27 years its not that bad , a classic would normally require engine work. One of the cons of owning a car which is older than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

I have noticed something here. The Gear lever. It appears to be too high. Check out the positioning in the pic below to see approximately where it should be. In the car in question, the rod seems to be a tad longer. I wonder why? At first i thought it was the camera angle but its not that. The shifter is a bit longer than it should be....or is it just me??

The gear knob has been changed so it looks taller. I am hunting for a new/used one.

Could you please post more pics of the front and rear and the engine bay please?

I did read that the car was sluggish. Well a W123 300D is most definitely not. Its a five cylinder engine and in its manual mode it should whip some serious backsides. Dont expect it to be a Crdi or a PD equivalent in terms of power, these are later technologies. But the 300D was not low in power or pick up. This car has clocked a lot of miles, so there must be the required wear and tear.

Maybe you need to service her thoroughly. The Pump may need to be set. Check for the original injectors. Most probably the injectors in your car would be of the Indian Force engine. Replace them with DB Anti Knock injectors and see the difference.

The car has done very high mileage so check the piston rings.
The car is currently in Garage for complete service and,

1. Radiator Cleaning
2. Replacement of speedometer cable.
3. Replacement of door rubber bedding.
4. Steering play
5. Change of differential oil ( the W123 requires a special oil for the differential so thats taking time)

The car is with a mechanic introduced to me by a fellow Bhpian and a friend who also owns a 300D. The car should be done by this weekend after which I will be able to post more pics.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:04   #40
BHPian

Latest Pics

Here are some pics after the repairs and service.
Attached Thumbnails
Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0926.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0927.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0928.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0929.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0930.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0932.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0933.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-img_0935.jpg  

tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2009, 18:06   #41
BHPian

Timeless beauty!! is what comes to my mind.

You've got a nice registration number there, IMHO a change of plates + font would do wonders.
Old 18th November 2009, 19:26   #42
BHPian

Hi Tazmaan

That is a one great looking MERC W123. I have also been fascinated by W123 Models myself, hope to get lucky enough to land my hand on a clean example like yours.

Please do post an update on ownership experience after sometime, It will help people like me who might end up owning a beauty like this in future.

regards
Old 19th November 2009, 12:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Hi Tazmaan

That is a one great looking MERC W123. I have also been fascinated by W123 Models myself, hope to get lucky enough to land my hand on a clean example like yours.

Please do post an update on ownership experience after sometime, It will help people like me who might end up owning a beauty like this in future.

regards
Yes I will be posting ownership experience, the cost of owning etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Timeless beauty!! is what comes to my mind.

You've got a nice registration number there, IMHO a change of plates + font would do wonders.
Thank you! The Plan is to change the number plates to the older versions which were corrugated.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Thank you! The Plan is to change the number plates to the older versions which were corrugated.

IMO it's better to go in for the HSR plates. Will look even better than the normal corrugated ones.
Old 26th November 2009, 21:44   #45
BHPian

hi stetson , this is how the american spec 123's headlights and watch the enginne bay..
Attached Thumbnails
Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-image080.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-image086.jpg  

Life with a 1982 Mercedes W123 300D. EDIT: Car sold!-image081.jpg  

imperial.s.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed