Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 21:30   #346
BHPian

Speedy, it's been a month since we last heard from you on this thread. I hope all the awaited parts have arrived and all the pending work on her has finished/is on the way to completion!!

Update us soon...
Old 7th March 2010, 23:21   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
And was she your valentine this year?
Unfortunately she was not my Valentine this year.

Sorry guys for the delayed response and not keeping you all updated.

The car is complete from most angles. Parts wise everything has been fitted on except the Bumper (Two months up and they still have not fitted it)
We did take her for a test drive but noticed that she would not cross a 40 km speed and as she warmed up the speed dropped to almost a stand still. The mechanics have no clue as to the accourance and say the star is also not reading the car. The month has passed in their excusses and assurance of them calling some other diagnostic machine from Pune to read the car. I have been in talks with members from Mercedes Benz .org and have tried to find what the issue could be. I ask the mechs at merc to check those points but all i get is we have to wait for the machine or the mech who does W140's has not turned up today.
Getting fed up with the laid back attitude of the people at Auto Hanger, i had writen to Mercedes Pune and have informed them of the kind of trained work put it to cars comming in for service and for cars they have to bring up to speed. This is in regards to both my ML and S. A mechanic did come from the Pune plant and tended to the Ml but my poor S got left out.
This week i am towing the car to have the exhaust done and then she goes to my friends place to get completed and not to Auto Hanger. I just figured if i have to get all the parts which i am happy to do so and these trained guys have no clue of what they are doing i rather have it done with guys who know their job and would deliver results. In short i want to drive the car in this lifetime .
Old 8th March 2010, 00:06   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Very frustrating for you, Speedy.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:31   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very frustrating for you, Speedy.
Yes it has been a long four months. The frustrating part is not the wait (i am used to it) but the work attitude of the Merc service guys.
Just an example.
Parts by Mercedes Benz - 0 in four months. (we have called, so dont call for them and later change their stance after weeks and months to u were to get them).
Parts by me - all in 1 week.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:41   #350
BHPian

V12 i cant wait to see this beauty up and running! I'm going to come to bombay and see the beauty in person. Cant wait for it!!
Old 8th March 2010, 01:39   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
..... noticed that she would not cross a 40 km speed and as she warmed up the speed dropped to almost a stand still. The mechanics have no clue as to the accourance and say the star is also not reading the car.

......I ask the mechs at merc to check those points but all i get is we have to wait for the machine or the mech who does W140's has not turned up today.
....This week i am towing the car to have the exhaust done and then she goes to my friends place to get completed and not to Auto Hanger. I just figured if i have to get all the parts which i am happy to do so and these trained guys have no clue of what they are doing i rather have it done with guys who know their job and would deliver results. In short i want to drive the car in this lifetime .
Thats weird Speedy, that AutoHangar could not even diagnose the trouble.

Have you jump started the car? I have seen that usually, W140s and W220s blow the Over Voltage Protector Relay fuses, if jump started. Is the ASR or the ABS light on? If it goes off after the car starts (which it should), does this light come on after say the speed crosses a few kms?

Many fuses could blow off during jump starting.

Also check the Transmission upshift delay relay module. Maybe the Limiter is acting up. Your car when stationary will not rev above a certain rpm, the limiter gouing bad could cause this even while on the move, this could be the cause. Im hope its nothing but a simple blown fuse but it could be a lot worse viz; Did they check the Electronic Throttle Actuator?

Ill get back to you after i speak with my Mechanic. Hes God with Mercs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Freddy did have a W140 S320...... which I think hes sold it a long time ago.
Oops my bad, he still has the car. maybe was under repairs or something or parked elsewhere as i did not see it for quite a long time, also maybe its been re-bought by him again in some kind of deal, the fact remains that he has it with him now.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:04   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadkaran View Post
V12 i cant wait to see this beauty up and running! I'm going to come to bombay and see the beauty in person. Cant wait for it!!
Another case of handle mess up , he is 'speedy' bro. Not 'V12'.

Jokes apart, Abhi you must be having some patience dude. Hats off. I would have been most probably bitten their heads off by now. Wish you get her well soon. God Bless !
Old 8th March 2010, 03:18   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Another case of handle mess up , he is 'speedy' bro. Not 'V12'.
Its easy to make that mistake buddy, his avatar screams V12, hence i guess some mistake it for his handle.
Old 8th March 2010, 08:46   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately she was not my Valentine this year.

Sorry guys for the delayed response and not keeping you all updated.

The car is complete from most angles. Parts wise everything has been fitted on except the Bumper (Two months up and they still have not fitted it)
We did take her for a test drive but noticed that she would not cross a 40 km speed and as she warmed up the speed dropped to almost a stand still. The mechanics have no clue as to the accourance and say the star is also not reading the car. The month has passed in their excusses and assurance of them calling some other diagnostic machine from Pune to read the car. I have been in talks with members from Mercedes Benz .org and have tried to find what the issue could be. I ask the mechs at merc to check those points but all i get is we have to wait for the machine or the mech who does W140's has not turned up today.
Getting fed up with the laid back attitude of the people at Auto Hanger, i had writen to Mercedes Pune and have informed them of the kind of trained work put it to cars comming in for service and for cars they have to bring up to speed. This is in regards to both my ML and S. A mechanic did come from the Pune plant and tended to the Ml but my poor S got left out.
This week i am towing the car to have the exhaust done and then she goes to my friends place to get completed and not to Auto Hanger. I just figured if i have to get all the parts which i am happy to do so and these trained guys have no clue of what they are doing i rather have it done with guys who know their job and would deliver results. In short i want to drive the car in this lifetime .
I am sure that the car will be up and running soon Speedy. I can understand your frustration with all the delays and I am sure just the thought of sitting in that beast of a car and putting your foot down on the gas and experiencing that rush and satisfaction is what is keeping you sane at the moment. Hopefully it all happens sooner than later. Anxious to see a few pics of a happy you in it soon.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:22   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadkaran View Post
You are most welcome to come down anytime to the sleeping beauty, you dont need to wait for her to be running. When she is running she would be coming to pune for her test run.

Quote:
Thats weird Speedy, that AutoHangar could not even diagnose the trouble.

Have you jump started the car? I have seen that usually, W140s and W220s blow the Over Voltage Protector Relay fuses, if jump started. Is the ASR or the ABS light on? If it goes off after the car starts (which it should), does this light come on after say the speed crosses a few kms?

Also check the Transmission upshift delay relay module. Maybe the Limiter is acting up. Your car when stationary will not rev above a certain rpm, the limiter gouing bad could cause this even while on the move, this could be the cause. Im hope its nothing but a simple blown fuse but it could be a lot worse viz; Did they check the Electronic Throttle Actuator?

Bhai Auto Hanger has not diagnosed any trouble till now. Its what i have told them they have done, so basically i have been diagnosing things from the Mercedes Forum and by talking to other W140 owners of what the common problems that occour in a lifeless W140 and telling Auto Hanger.

No Bhai i had bought a brand new battery for the car and only then started it, never been jump started. When i had first started the car the all lights were illuminated, now only the ASR light stays on. The car starts in half self and is silky smooth, the problem comes in when you press the accelerator she does not rev atall. Its just like a blank expression by the car.

I was informed about the OVP Relay fuse from the Merc forum and i believe this fuse is the one that transmits orders from the ECU to the rest of the sensors right?. If this is the same one i have asked them to check and change it. They just say we have to wait for the Machine from Pune as the star does not read.

I was also informed from the forum again that this sort of thing also could occour due to non use and when the accelerator unit and sensor blow off. So i had asked AutoHanger to check that too, to which i recieved the same answer as above Wait for the machine. This is the ETA unit that i think you speak off.

The transmission is fine it upshifts and downshifts properly. The car when stationary does not rev atall bhai. When we drove it there was no Gear box issues.

Will have everything you mentioned checked Bhai.

This is what i was mentioning that all assumed Diagnotic assumptions are done by like minded Members but the actual people who are supposed to do it, do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Jokes apart, Abhi you must be having some patience dude. Hats off. I would have been most probably bitten their heads off by now. Wish you get her well soon. God Bless !

The issue is if i loose my head i shall have more things to deal with. I am now going to just pull the car out of there soon and have it done elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick! View Post
I am sure that the car will be up and running soon Speedy. I can understand your frustration with all the delays and I am sure just the thought of sitting in that beast of a car and putting your foot down on the gas and experiencing that rush and satisfaction is what is keeping you sane at the moment. Hopefully it all happens sooner than later. Anxious to see a few pics of a happy you in it soon.
Yes i too am confident of having her running soon. I have crossed the point of the thought of sitting in her and putting my foot down and experiencing the rush. I just need the satisfaction that i brought her back to life, everything else is secondary now, thats whats keeping me sane . Your not the only one Slick, i would like to see them soon too.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:47   #356

Speedy sorry to hear they're d!cking you around so much. Hope it will all work out for you soon. Unfortunately our laidback local attitude has infected even the German outlets!

Is this the Auto Hangar near Chowpatty? They present such a professional face at least in the first impression - was in Bombay recently and accompanied my cousin there. Just curious if its the same one - or maybe that's the only one!
Old 8th March 2010, 14:03   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafer View Post
Speedy sorry to hear they're d!cking you around so much. Hope it will all work out for you soon. Unfortunately our laidback local attitude has infected even the German outlets!

Is this the Auto Hangar near Chowpatty? They present such a professional face at least in the first impression - was in Bombay recently and accompanied my cousin there. Just curious if its the same one - or maybe that's the only one!
The laid back attitude is of the people working there and has nothing to do with German Outlet or any other Countries outlet. There always are some bad apples in the box so i would not blame everyone. When i wrote to the pune plant the technision was here the next day. The guys here did not show him the S600, so cannot blame the technision can i, he did what was told to him.

There are three showrooms of Auto Hanger, the one you went to, one in Prabhadevi and the other in Lokhandwala. These are showrooms and the sales team is always professional. The issue faced here is of the main service center in Andheri. They also have a small service area in Chowpatty and in worli.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:25   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also check the Transmission upshift delay relay module. Maybe the Limiter is acting up. Your car when stationary will not rev above a certain rpm, the limiter going bad could cause this even while on the move, this could be the cause. Im hope its nothing but a simple blown fuse but it could be a lot worse viz; Did they check the Electronic Throttle Actuator?

Speedy please dont change any parts unless you are sure that its not just a few fuses like i mentioned. Do this and see, disconnect the battery for an hour or so, then connect it back, if you are lucky, the fault would have corrected itself. If not, you will need the Star Diagnostic System to seek it out.

I would go in this direction;

1) Check for blown fuses

2) Check wiring harness - These are old cars and the Wiring harness does seem to get bad due to abuse/non use and weather conditions.

4) Air mass sensor - Most unlikely

5) Electronic Throttle Actuators - There are two 2 on a 600. Very expensive and difficult to get.

Quote:
Bhai Auto Hanger has not diagnosed any trouble till now. Its what i have told them they have done, so basically i have been diagnosing things from the Mercedes Forum and by talking to other W140 owners of what the common problems that occour in a lifeless W140 and telling Auto Hanger.

Quote:
now only the ASR light stays on. The car starts in half self and is silky smooth, the problem comes in when you press the accelerator she does not rev atall. Its just like a blank expression by the car.
Quote:
I was informed about the OVP Relay
How have they not diagnosed anything if they have checked it? If they have not checke it, why not? Call Mohan Mariwala and speak to him, this is ridiculous.

Quote:
This is the ETA unit that i think you speak off.

The transmission is fine it upshifts and downshifts properly. The car when stationary does not rev atall bhai. When we drove it there was no Gear box issues. Will have everything you mentioned checked Bhai.

Abhi, your car has all the obvious symptoms of having gone into what is known as the the "Limp Mode"

Classic symptoms are no response over a certain rpm, ASR light goes on. ASR stands for Acceleration Slip Regulation which was a standard feature in W140s. This is actually a built in safety device which which acts like a rev limiter and is tripped off when the ASR lights goes on. The ASR is not the problem, its the symptom.

If it is not faulty fuses and since you say the transmission is fine, get the ETA checked, thats the problem!!

Quote:
The issue is if i loose my head i shall have more things to deal with. I am now going to just pull the car out of there soon and have it done elsewhere.
No, no sense loosing your head. Take the car to another place. Try Shaman Mercedes. It has come up where the old Ichiban Honda service centre was, at Santacruz. Ask for Solanki.

Last edited by V-16 : 8th March 2010 at 15:31. Reason: add
Old 8th March 2010, 15:26   #359
Senior - BHPian

speedy this looks like the accelerator unit to me man as she starts and idles only when toy press the pedal nothing! either the unit has a blown something inside it ( needs to be opened) or something to do with relay!
Old 8th March 2010, 19:38   #360
Team-BHP Support

Speedy,

I'm terribly sorry. My prayers are with her. Just hang in there and she'll be up and running in no time! It's surprising that AH aren't able to rectify the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks