Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 12:17   #121
BHPian

Hmmmmmm. The Black car does not look stately. :(

btw I am not sure if the Owner knows it or not, the car runs only on 4 cylinders on idle to get good fuel economy.
It would be a good idea to let the Speed Resrictor remain on the car.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:32   #122
BHPian

@ Speedy - Superb machine you got there. Lucky you man.

@ Heavy Foot - Pics are good, but i kinda don`t like the mods. its looks great in stock.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:04   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Speedy, you might find these two links helpful

Old 9th November 2009, 15:50   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Congratulations on a phenomenal looking car Speedy, the W140 is most definitely the best looking S in my books, though I would even be satisfied with a S 280!

The V12 ofcourse, is in a different league!
It sure is Evo. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
i just noticed this thread. you have made an investment buddy. just treat it well enough and you will definitely reap the benefits!! have to say, im in love with that colour. have you driven it yet?? how is the performance
(and mileage)?? what octane fuel do you use??
I did make another good investment . No i have not driven her yet, so the performance is yet to be seen and she runs on normal unleaded fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Awesome purchase speedy, I usually hate mercedes ( i still dont know why ) but this is the only mercedes car I liked when I was a kid and its nice to see that its being restored. 12 cylinders are anytime welcome
Its an acquired taste motomaverick. 12 cylinders on any car is welcome, you just need the roads to take them on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I just saw the Analyze This & Analyze That pair of movies. Italiano mafiosi + sharp cut suits + W140 S500's = AWESOME !!
I agree and a 600 Priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Lovely Car, Speedy. Congrats!
She looks so full and complete already.
Glad that she has come to the right hands. Some cars intuitively do.

BTW, the other day I saw another S600 with MH regn no 60 at the Juhu bandh. Was parked on the road outside the garage undergoing frontal touch up. Maybe you are already aware of that one too.
Thank you sir. Yes am aware of that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
There is something special about the W140, Congrats on your acquisition. I have recently witnessed an old W140 -S500 come to life in Delhi, I must say it has some charisma to it, it can still outshine the new S if properly done.

You have S-600 A real daddy for sure, Its a GANGSTA car .
Yes the w140 can outshine the W221 anyday of the week. There is a S280 in Bombay that kills the W221 outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Had a chance to check out Speedy's tank today. I have to say that me and Spiff absolutely loved it. Actually a good part of the day was spent talking about it! Thanks a lot for having us guys speedy! Sorry if in my excitement I mentioned the word "restore" I actually cant wait to get the first V12 ride of my life!
You and spiff are most welcome. In due time buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I am against the Photo Shoot with the W124.

It almost feels like you have something against W124.

I know which car should do a Photshoot with your W140 : Brabus E class V12.

Please do not make us W124 Owners look like idiots just because you do not like W124. :(
Sorry to offend you supercars. I actually love the W124 and the reason i want to shoot the W140 with one is because they look similar. It is the E and S of the same generation and till date can hold off all the E's and S's that came after. I have not asked for a shoot with any other mercedes, not even my aunts W220 and W221 S500's or any other ones around. Just for your information my favourite and most loved Mercedes is the W123 (owned a 240d and 230c), no other Mercedes and not even the W140 S600 can shake that. So please i would be the biggest idiot trying to make W124 owners look like idiots.
Bring the Brabus E V12 and i shall shoot with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
You got to check out this gangster W140
Hideous i would say. Not getting on my baby.

Quote:

btw I am not sure if the Owner knows it or not, the car runs only on 4 cylinders on idle to get good fuel economy.
Yes they do have variable valve timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Speedy, you might find these two links helpful

Thank you GTO for the links. I also managed to get a site Auto Parts, Car Parts and Auto Accessories at Discount Prices | Free Shipping - DriveWire.com that houses all parts for the W140 s600. The costs are reasonable and not sky high.

Last edited by speedy : 9th November 2009 at 16:01.
Old 10th November 2009, 03:19   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Didnt the Active Cylinder Control debut on the mercs with the W220 S600?
Old 10th November 2009, 06:57   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Daimler's Active Cylinder Control (ACC) is a variable displacement technology. It debuted in 2001 on the 5.8 L V12 in the CL600 and S600. Like Chrysler's later Multi-Displacement System, General Motors' Active Fuel Management and Honda's Variable Cylinder Management, it deactivates one bank of the engine's cylinders when the throttle is closed.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

A classic video from the early 90s

A skinny Jeremy Clarkson reviews the W140 600SEL on Top Gear

Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 11:27   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Daimler's Active Cylinder Control (ACC) is a variable displacement technology. It debuted in 2001 on the 5.8 L V12 in the CL600 and S600. Like Chrysler's later Multi-Displacement System, General Motors' Active Fuel Management and Honda's Variable Cylinder Management, it deactivates one bank of the engine's cylinders when the throttle is closed.
. The 90's S600 still had all cylinders fireing even at idle. Thats why they are known as guzzlers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

Nice video Dippy. Now when are you and firebladder coming to see the car.

One week lost as Autohanger has still not got a free slot for the car. Now hopefully this week should be the one, or else i shall have the car sent else where. Total time to get her in full steam is one week if no time is wasted. 2 days for service and 4 days for exhaust. But like our casual approach i am counting 2 weeks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2009 at 12:04. Reason: Readability, please avoid quoting the U tube links. Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 11:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

Nice video Dippy. Now when are you and firebladder coming to see the car.
Will be there soon speedy. Most probably once those 12 cylinders are ready to hit the road which I hope is soon. I am watching this thread very eagerly.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:47   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nice video! I remember watching it & the techs on that S-class was unimaginable at that time!

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2009 at 12:04. Reason: Readability, please avoid quoting the U tube links. Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 11:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be there soon speedy. Most probably once those 12 cylinders are ready to hit the road which I hope is soon. I am watching this thread very eagerly.
If i do want to spoil the engine, she can hit the road even now, and the direct engine grunts would be heard loud and clear as the exhaust is finished . What a sound though.

Guys i am not much of a tyre person and would require assistance. The car runs on 225/45/18. Can i up the profile to a 50 or 55. Someone was telling me there is some calculation regarding unladen and laden weight along with the body weight to be taken into account. It was too technical for my understanding and got me a bit worried. I did not know there was so much to changing the tyres in a car .
Old 10th November 2009, 12:01   #132
BHPian

congrats V12....awesome ride. Welcome to the w140 club. I own the baby w140, the S280. Wahat a sturdy car it is. But unfortunately its up for sale at the moment as i got 2 new cars. But what a car. Check out some pics of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009632.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009634.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009623.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009621.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009628.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009631.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009625.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009624.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009629.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-06092009635.jpg  

Old 10th November 2009, 12:03   #133
BHPian

dont be misguided my the S500 badge at the back, its only a S280. My bro did it to match the nimber plate..haha ( im honest enough i guess )
Old 10th November 2009, 12:24   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun m View Post
congrats V12....awesome ride. Welcome to the w140 club. I own the baby w140, the S280. Wahat a sturdy car it is. But unfortunately its up for sale at the moment as i got 2 new cars. But what a car. Check out some pics of my car.
Thank you Varun, by the way i am Speedy not V12.
I believe your 316 is yet for sale too. Seen the pictures of your car on the classifieds as well.
If it is not much of a bother and since you have had this car for a while could you share your experience with her. I mean everyone says they are a nightmare mechanically. Have you had such issues or has she been a smooth ride all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun m View Post
dont be misguided my the S500 badge at the back, its only a S280. My bro did it to match the nimber plate..haha ( im honest enough i guess )
Thank God he did not put on the s55 badge from the later AMG model, It would have been a Perfect match . Dont worry one look at the engine or a run in the car and the truth would have been out anyways. There are a few 280's that carry the 500 tag on them.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:46   #135
BHPian

hey sorry SPEEDY. But i guess now u r officially a V12, HAHA. My e36 is sold. Owning the W140 was not a nightmare. I guess people have it in their mind that a mercedes S CLASS is expensive to maintain. Its definately true for the newer ones, the w140 is not expensive to maintain at all. I had no problems with my ride. Onlt the fuel consumption was a bit low but hey its a very heavy car. I drive mine between 1.5k and 2k rpm and it returns around 8 in the city constantly. I guess yours would return 5 max as its a V12 and mine is an inline 6.

But maintaining this baby was not expensive. I would recomend you to change the transmission filter immediately and forget about the transmission for ANOTHER 40K kms. Its not expensive too. i got mine for 3.3k. Every 5k kms, get it servised, dont wait for 10k. I get mine servised from khan marker. All filters, oil and labour costs 6.5k max which is not at all expensive for a s class. You spend 1 k a month on her if you see the yearly expences you make on these cars. My car doesnot have electronic seats, my cousins S500 had them which were very expensive to repair when they motor got spoilt. Rest my car has all the features and it never troubled me. I want a sports car now so selling her :-( if you know anyone who would be interested, let me know as im selling her cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Thank you Varun, by the way i am Speedy not V12.
I believe your 316 is yet for sale too. Seen the pictures of your car on the classifieds as well.
If it is not much of a bother and since you have had this car for a while could you share your experience with her. I mean everyone says they are a nightmare mechanically. Have you had such issues or has she been a smooth ride all along.

Thank God he did not put on the s55 badge from the later AMG model, It would have been a Perfect match . Dont worry one look at the engine or a run in the car and the truth would have been out anyways. There are a few 280's that carry the 500 tag on them.
varun m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed