Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 09:18   #61
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Awesome ride SSP. Great pics and a very nice write-up there. Congratulations
Thanks.

Can anyone with the new gen paddle shifters in Bimmers chime in on their experience with it?
Old 1st March 2010, 14:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Thanks.

Can anyone with the new gen paddle shifters in Bimmers chime in on their experience with it?
That type of Paddle shifters come in very select models dude. So anyone with an X6, 650i or Z4 again can help you out. Even though I'm a total beemer person, i found it crap when i drove the 650i. It is just a matter of getting used to, but pretty confusing for people who are used to traditional shifters.

Bro, is the Z4 available on a Manual spec ?
Old 1st March 2010, 15:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

SSP,
She's a real beauty! Really nice report aswell! The colour combination has got to be one of the best - I was a complete black exterior, fox red interior kind of person but I think I've converted

Enjoy and keep posting pics, please
Old 1st March 2010, 15:41   #64
Senior - BHPian

The paddles on the Z4/650i/X6 are completely un-intuitive . And yes , in Europe the Z4 is available with a 6-speed as well. Not sure about the Indian spec version.
Old 1st March 2010, 21:58   #65
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
That type of Paddle shifters come in very select models dude. So anyone with an X6, 650i or Z4 again can help you out. Even though I'm a total beemer person, i found it crap when i drove the 650i. It is just a matter of getting used to, but pretty confusing for people who are used to traditional shifters.

Bro, is the Z4 available on a Manual spec ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
The paddles on the Z4/650i/X6 are completely un-intuitive . And yes , in Europe the Z4 is available with a 6-speed as well. Not sure about the Indian spec version.
Yup, very un-intuitive. Though after driving using the paddles constantly for about 100 kms I got used to the thumb & finger operation. What I still couldn't get used to was the harder clicks it required to trigger the change. I guess that requires another trip to Lavasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
SSP,
She's a real beauty! Really nice report aswell! The colour combination has got to be one of the best - I was a complete black exterior, fox red interior kind of person but I think I've converted

Enjoy and keep posting pics, please
Thanks! So far I also favored black, have 3 black cars. But on this one, no other color brings out the lines as this color combo does.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess that requires another trip to Lavasa

Thanks! So far I also favored black, have 3 black cars. But on this one, no other color brings out the lines as this color combo does.
hands down ! Z4 looks the best in Deep Sea Blue.

My town is expecting a Red Z4. Maybe, I will change troupe by then

And, next trip to lavassa. Hell Yeah !
Old 16th March 2010, 19:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Saw a sweet looking brand new white Z4 in Vashi. Must add that it is wider and lower than what it looks like in the pictures. Just few mins before that saw a white X6 weaving through traffice on palm beach road, will upload pictures later.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 16th March 2010 at 19:06. Reason: added info
Old 17th March 2010, 02:37   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I get my supplies from the company itself so not sure about the availability in Mumbai. I've not tried any other product of this type. i used to use Max44 in my cars in USA, so I just stick to what I know works. Agreed its not going to do any cleaning on a new car. After a few ,000kms, it would show results.

BMW recommends minimum 89 octane, preferably 91octane. Plus 97octane isn't easily available (atleast at the pumps I frequent). Initially I thought of the same that I would put 97octane, but after reading what BMW recommends, I thought maybe its overkill. The engine is a straight six 3 litre. Twin turbos is whats making it produce 306hp. In fact BMW is plonking this engine setup in their new 5 series too. I doubt they would expect 5 series owners to pump 97octane.

This is the same motor I have in my 335. Codename N54. I love how responsive it is. The new F10 5 series will get the N55 motor with a single twin scroll turbo, as opposed to the asymmetrical twin turbo setup in our cars.

As I am sure you have experienced, the car feels stupid fast from a dead stop and even faster with a foot of roll off.

The BIGGEST problem I have had with my ride is that I have had 3 HPFPs die off on my in 2.5 years of ownership, not something that I am happy about. Trust me its no fun driving in limp mode! Anyway, its a common problem stateside thanks to the ethanol content in the gas. I am unsure if gas there has any ethanol in it. Just my 2 cents worth of advice.

Happy motoring, and look forward for some amazing stories from you.
Old 17th March 2010, 04:43   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92335 View Post
This is the same motor I have in my 335. Codename N54. I love how responsive it is. The new F10 5 series will get the N55 motor with a single twin scroll turbo, as opposed to the asymmetrical twin turbo setup in our cars.

The BIGGEST problem I have had with my ride is that I have had 3 HPFPs die off on my in 2.5 years of ownership, not something that I am happy about. Trust me its no fun driving in limp mode!
The new 335i gets the N55 too, right? Except the 335is, which still gets the N54 with more power.

So you've had the dreaded HPFP failure - that's bad. BMW's increased warranty on those till 10 years / 120,000 miles.
Thankfully, I haven't had one till date - fingers crossed.
Old 17th March 2010, 06:16   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The new 335i gets the N55 too, right? Except the 335is, which still gets the N54 with more power.

So you've had the dreaded HPFP failure - that's bad. BMW's increased warranty on those till 10 years / 120,000 miles.
Thankfully, I haven't had one till date - fingers crossed.
Yeah, and it seems the 4th one isn't far behind. I have started experiencing long cranks since the past week. I am getting rid of it this summer and picking up an 09 or 10 528i, until I get the 550i in 3 years. I want to get the 535, but not sure how reliable it will be. My SA at my dealership told me bluntly to stay away from the 35's, but I drove an 09 5351 Xdrive and its fast. Do you know of any other folks having a 08 - 10 535, and if they have encountered any problems?

Sorry MODS for going of topic, but I am just venting
Old 17th March 2010, 14:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Quote:
Yup, very un-intuitive. Though after driving using the paddles constantly for about 100 kms I got used to the thumb & finger operation. What I still couldn't get used to was the harder clicks it required to trigger the change. I guess that requires another trip to Lavasa
All you guys forgot the little brother the 325i also comes with paddle shifters.
It does take a while to get used to the thumb and fingers rutine but once you are on it, you just dont want the auto box anymore. I use the Paddles all the time and i love it. The same force is needed ssp either your fingers are not falling in the right place, it happens if you are yet getting used to it. I change the gears gently in both upshifts and downshifts. You dont need a lavasa to get used to the Paddles, the city is fine for it .

Ecks the 325i comes with a 6 speed, so the Z4 should also be a 6 speed, it shares the same engine as the 335i
Old 18th March 2010, 03:30   #72

Hello Ssp,

Your Blue Z4 Looks Fab !!

I Just Had A Question. What Do You Think Of The Ground Clearance ? Can The Z4 Take Normal Indian Speed Breakers?
Is It A Problem Going Off A Single Road While 2 Cars Are Passing?
Old 18th March 2010, 10:17   #73
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
All you guys forgot the little brother the 325i also comes with paddle shifters.
It does take a while to get used to the thumb and fingers rutine but once you are on it, you just dont want the auto box anymore. I use the Paddles all the time and i love it. The same force is needed ssp either your fingers are not falling in the right place, it happens if you are yet getting used to it. I change the gears gently in both upshifts and downshifts. You dont need a lavasa to get used to the Paddles, the city is fine for it .
Speedy, does the 325i come with the dual-clutch setup? Reason I ask is that I find the auto box in the Z4 spot-on for city driving (or even expressway if in S mode) and never end up wanting/needing to use the paddles. the only time I actually felt the need was on twisty roads when I wanted to hold gears for longer. I'm sure the torque difference would also be a reason, but still wanted to understand how much of a difference the dual-clutch makes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Benz View Post
Hello Ssp,

Your Blue Z4 Looks Fab !!

I Just Had A Question. What Do You Think Of The Ground Clearance ? Can The Z4 Take Normal Indian Speed Breakers?
Thanks. I had mentioned about the GC in my initial post, since I knew that would be the first question on everyones mind.

Quote:
Initial concerns about the ground clearance were completely misplaced. I barely scraped the bottom only on one specific speed breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Benz View Post
Is It A Problem Going Off A Single Road While 2 Cars Are Passing?
I didn't understand this question.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:

I didn't understand this question.
I think he meant to ask if the width of your Z4 poses as a hindrance when you pass a car in the opposite direction on a single lane road.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:08   #75
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
I think he meant to ask if the width of your Z4 poses as a hindrance when you pass a car in the opposite direction on a single lane road.
Aah ok. when I was looking at buying the Z4, I checked the stats to see if it would fit comfortably in the garage. Looks are deceptive Here is the comparison with the Accord which the Z4 evicted from its parking place.

Accord Z4
Length: 194.1in 166.9in
Width: 72.7in 70.5in
Height: 58.1in 50.8in

So its as much (or little) of a hindrance as an Accord in width.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks