Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 18:27   #1
SSP
BHPian

2010 BMW Z4 - Ownership Report

I've been lurking around this site for a while, and haven't seen much on the Z4, so thought I'd post.

I bought a Deep Sea Blue BMW Z4 about 2 months ago and have put 1,000 miles on it. The experience has been fantastic. Initial concerns about the ground clearance were completely misplaced. I barely scraped the bottom only on one specific speed breaker.

The power is just right for Indian roads. I've driven the car in Mumbai traffic and it feels like a regular car (other than the slightly stiffer suspension). Throw it into Sport, and it gets tight enough to throw around a little more without loosing confidence.

The white leather & white suede seats & door inserts are a pain to keep clean but so worth the look it gives to the car.

Haven't taken too many pictures yet. Here are 2 so far.

found another one. Couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post and add it there.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 BMW Z4 - Ownership Report-img00181201001031057.jpg  

2010 BMW Z4 - Ownership Report-img00182201001031057.jpg  

2010 BMW Z4 - Ownership Report-dsc02807-1.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st February 2010 at 19:07.
SSP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2010, 19:01   #2
BHPian

Amazing car!Excellent choice of car and colour.Love it!Congrats!
Old 21st February 2010, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bud on the buy. Great car there. btw, were you there for the Mumbai Super car event ? I think i saw pics of a Z4, or was it a black one ?
Old 21st February 2010, 19:24   #4
BHPian

Great pics, Somehow am not much impressed with the new BMW Z, the earlier looked much nicer IMHO and rear looks quite puny, though I won't mind if anyone is willing to gift me one.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy!! Great car indeed. The Z4 looks hot! Give us some more feedback on performance, ride and handling. And some more pics too. I love that alloy design! Did you participate in the Mumbai supercar show last month?
Old 21st February 2010, 21:30   #6
BHPian

WOW congrats on your new buy. Have a great ride. Safe motoring
Old 21st February 2010, 21:38   #7
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Amazing car!Excellent choice of car and colour.Love it!Congrats!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Congrats bud on the buy. Great car there. btw, were you there for the Mumbai Super car event ? I think i saw pics of a Z4, or was it a black one ?
Thanks.
Yes I was at the event. The black one wasn't at the event in the beginning, joined into the Rally, and was there post the rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_v1per View Post
Great pics, Somehow am not much impressed with the new BMW Z, the earlier looked much nicer IMHO and rear looks quite puny, though I won't mind if anyone is willing to gift me one.
I can understand that. I thought the same, until I saw it in the flesh. Its not a full blown roadster like the SL types, but the car just clicked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congrats buddy!! Great car indeed. The Z4 looks hot! Give us some more feedback on performance, ride and handling. And some more pics too. I love that alloy design! Did you participate in the Mumbai supercar show last month?
Thanks.

The performance is very good and brings a smile to your face when you floor it. The twin-clutch is VERY good. I've yet to really use the paddle shifters. If I want to do a quick sprint, I would just leave it in Sport. The shifts are spot on. Torque delivery is very well spread. One thing I would have wished is for the engine to have more of a grunt. Its too refined

Ride is somewhere between comfort & harsh but far better than I expected. I drove from Mumbai to Pune (roof down) and back (roof up) and didn't feel tired at all.
Somewhere on the ghats on the way back, I did feel the rear a tad loose, but that could be down to me still 'learning' the car's capabilities.

Note from Mod : Please refrain from mentioning high speeds on public roads. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd April 2013 at 17:33.
Old 21st February 2010, 22:30   #8
BHPian

thats a great looking car SSP, love those alloys

some more pictures please
Old 21st February 2010, 23:00   #9
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
WOW congrats on your new buy. Have a great ride. Safe motoring
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
thats a great looking car SSP, love those alloys

some more pictures please
I haven't taken good pictures of the car yet. Will do so next weekend and post. especially the interiors. The wheels do add a lot to the overall appeal of the car
Old 21st February 2010, 23:37   #10
BHPian

Holy moly! Your car looks nice but that paint shade is just wowza! Interlagos Blue was my favorite color on Bimmers but this might just top that! It looks fantastic!
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:16   #11
BHPian

Hey, enjoy your car to the fullest ofcourse while being safe. Isn't there a running in period for a new car? And how much is recommended for your z4?

Anyway I just wanted to know which other cars did you consider and your take on them before you settled for this car if you don't mind sharing

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd April 2013 at 17:36. Reason: high speed figures edited out
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:08   #12
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Holy moly! Your car looks nice but that paint shade is just wowza! Interlagos Blue was my favorite color on Bimmers but this might just top that! It looks fantastic!
Yup. I was initially looking at getting black with red interiors, but once I saw this combo in the flesh, I realized nothing was be better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_e46 View Post
Hey, enjoy your car to the fullest ofcourse while being safe. Isn't there a running in period for a new car? And how much is recommended for your z4?

Anyway I just wanted to know which other cars did you consider and your take on them before you settled for this car if you don't mind sharing
Theres a running in period of 1,500km on the Z4. Launch Control won't activate until I cross that mark. I haven't done a real hard sprint yet. Shift ups happen way before the redline.

I didn't start out looking to buy a roadster. Started out looking at a E350, quickly gave up on it. Also looked at A4(3.2), BMW5.30i. In the end I realized that I might as well spend a little more and get myself something more fun. I have an '08 Accord which fulfills the need for comfort & space (much better than the E350).

So then I started looking at the Cayman & TT. The Z4 was never in the picture. This was before it launched officially here. Then when it did and I realized I could get a hard-top convertible, I started favoring that. Now Cayman is a far better performer, but my needs were different. I wanted something that was super-fun to drive, with a basic amount of comfort. Cayman is way more fun to push, but is not as comfortable as the Z4. Some might say that Boxter is more in the Z4 category, but a soft-top was a complete no-no for me. In the middle of all this, the TT got lost somewhere.

After driving the Z4 once around crowded streets in Juhu (test drive from Navnit Motors), my heart was set.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd April 2013 at 17:36. Reason: high speed figures edited out
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Is this first Z4 report we have here? Congratulations dude. Those turbine like alloys looks awesome!
what was the OTR for the Z4? Please post some interior pics also!
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:57   #14
BHPian

@SSP: congratulations!!you have a brilliant car. drive safe and have fun.
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:33   #15
BHPian

Its my dream car man .. i have literally grown-up think about this beauty since my school days . i still have a poster of 1st gen Z4 from autocar with me . BMW and esp. Z4 has to be this color only . Congrats enjoy your car

Most Viewed