Team-BHP - SLS AMG to be on sale in India in 2010
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   SLS AMG to be on sale in India in 2010 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/82031-sls-amg-sale-india-2010-a.html)

Mercedes SLS AMG may cost you Rs 5-6 crore-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Quote:

Mercedes SLS AMG may cost you Rs 5-6 crore
21 May 2010, 0615 hrs IST,Gulveen Aulakh,ET Bureau

CHANDIGARH: In case you’re waiting for the two-door Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, be prepared to shell out Rs 5-6 crore. The price tag of the latest offering from the luxury car making division of Mercedes-Benz could be much more in India than in Europe because of import duty and other taxes.

“The SLS will be available in India in the third quarter, though a date for the official launch has not yet been determined,” said Piyush Arora, Mercedes-Benz India director (technical) and board member. He indicated that the price of the sports car could be around Rs 5-6 crore.

Given the heavy duty import structure on completely-built-units (CBU), owning the 6208 cc coupe would be a tall order. A CBU attracts 120% duty on the price of the car, of which basic customs duty alone would be around 106%, the remaining falling under countervailing (CVD) and additional duties, said Abdul Majeed, PricewaterhouseCoopers leader, auto practice.

Mercedes is expected to launch the right-hand drive for the car in Germany in July, after which exports to India should begin. With more than half-a-dozen cars already booked by sports car lovers in from different parts of the country, Mercedes may begin shipment of the CBUs earlier than six months – the time it took to launch the E-class in India. With 30-40% of the sales coming from the northern region, the company expects bulk of the sales for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG from here.

The growth of luxury sports car segment in India has been experiencing an upward trend. “The Indian luxury car market is around 10,000 cars a year. However, with the economy getting stronger and purchase power and aspirations of buyers also rising, this size will also rise eventually," adds Mr Majeed.

5-6 crores is just a horrendous price tag for such a car! And I'm surprised there are people in India who are buying the SLS at this price!! Insane.

I think they would have placed their bookings before knowing the price. I was expecting it to be priced at a maximum of 2 crore for the SLS!! 6 crore is too much to ask for this car. A Murcielago at 3.5 crore would be a much better option.

isn't that veyron territory?!!

I don't buy this info. Base price for SLS-AMG in Canada is $198,000. Tick every option and it becomes $216,650.

There is NO way it could cost 5-6 crores in India, even after paying import duties and all (109% that is, I think). Unless the car itself is lined from gold and diamonds. lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace F355 (Post 1900162)
I don't buy this info. Base price for SLS-AMG in Canada is $198,000. Tick every option and it becomes $216,650.

There is NO way it could cost 5-6 crores in India, even after paying import duties and all (109% that is, I think). Unless the car itself is lined from gold and diamonds. lol:

I totally agree with ACE....
I had some rumor that it would cost around 2.5-2.75 crores......

Priced between 5-6 crores ?:Shockked:

There would be very few insane enough to buy it. I think Mercedes is truly insane if they price it that high.
Would be much better of with a Murci , not a mention a 1.5 -2.4 crore smaller hole in the pocket.

Guys the media has got the information wrong. The car costs 1.9 cr in India and two cars will be in Bombay by june or july.

Thanks for the confirmation speedy! At Rs.1.9 cr, the SLS is a good supercar to buy. Especially when you want to show off those gullwing doors :) And Bombay is gonna get two of 'em! I'll be on a lookout :D

Yes most of the Auto magazines have quoted the estimated price as 2.2 crore or so only.

IIRC one of the automags stated that there are already six confirmed bookings from India.

5-6 crores is unbelievably high. 2 crores is more realistic. Lets hope we get to see some on indian roads!

It was ACI who quoted that there are already 6 bookings confirmed for India. I'm sure this car will see a fair share of success in India if priced around Rs 2 crores.

Sheesh ! I thought as SL63 was priced almost near 2cr's, the SLS will break a bit deep into the 3cr territory. If 1.9cr is the sticker price, this is one merc which is going to fly off the shelves. At the end of the day, 2.cr is hardly a price for today's Desi boys to get get hold of a piece of Automotive history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 1900453)
Thanks for the confirmation speedy! At Rs.1.9 cr, the SLS is a good supercar to buy. Especially when you want to show off those gullwing doors :) And Bombay is gonna get two of 'em! I'll be on a lookout :D

They both belong to people i know, so would inform when the cars come into the city. Two cars i know off, there would be more for sure. One of the owners told me that since he dreamed of owning the 300sl Gullwing and cannot do so due to the import laws is settleing for the SLS as it would give him the same feel with modern technology. A future classic for sure. One car is going to be in Bandra and the other in south bombay/Gujrat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorcher (Post 1900723)
Sheesh ! I thought as SL63 was priced almost near 2cr's, the SLS will break a bit deep into the 3cr territory. If 1.9cr is the sticker price, this is one merc which is going to fly off the shelves. At the end of the day, 2.cr is hardly a price for today's Desi boys to get get hold of a piece of Automotive history.

The SL63 is for 1.6 cr and the SLS is 1.9cr ex showroom. So about 1.8/1.9 cr and 2.2 cr on road respectively. I was also informed that the SLS is going to be a sort of limited production, dont know how true this is.