Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 18:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
Yes I am sure it will do well keeping in mind how well the Panamera is doing. I hope once the Rapide is launched people will stop buying the Ugly Porsche. Hate to say this.
>>> But the Panamera is a better car, handling wise. At least that's what some comparative road tests suggest.

Choice is best left to prospective buyers; of course we in India seem to prefer form over function. Bland looking cars, however well engineered or practical, do not do too well. Bling is king

Regards
Old 25th August 2010, 19:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Prospective customers of the panamera/rapide are usually someone who has the money to buy an S-class but wants something more exclusive.So majority of them are going to be chauffeur driven anyway,i guess handling will come secondary to looks,exclusivity and features.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

i remember seeing on TopGear that Rapide(@140k) is way more expensive than Panamera(@90-100k), correct me if i'm wrong.so i don't think that potential Panamera buyers will go for Rapide.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:18   #19
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Panamera may be a great handler thanks to its Porsche DNA. But it doesn't have the flair of an Aston Martin. The charismatic charm of a British car is just missing on the German rival. The Rapide has the character and the exclusivity and I'm sure these are reasons enough to make it popular among the super rich.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
i remember seeing on TopGear that Rapide(@140k) is way more expensive than Panamera(@90-100k), correct me if i'm wrong.so i don't think that potential Panamera buyers will go for Rapide.
They also mentioned the Panamera at 90K was hardly kitted(rear wiper was extra!).And if you go for the options like most usually do you will end up paying as much.
Old 25th August 2010, 22:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Rapide will succeed as a chauffeur driven car. It's more of a driver's car mainly because rear legroom is very less and a person might even feel claustrophobic there.
Here's a pic for reference:

ASTON MARTIN: Officially launched in India on 15th April, 2011-2010astonmartinrapideinteriorview.jpg

The Panamera has succeeded because it is both a good driver's car and a commodious sedan too. And also that the price range starts at just above a crore.
While the Rapide competes with the Bentleys. The latter IMO is a much better car overall. While the Aston will enjoy being a better status symbol since it's still not common in India as the Bentleys.
I still feel the V8 Vantage will be the choice of Indian buyers. Practical and fast at a reasonable price.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:25   #22
BHPian

All said and done it was hard for me to imagine an ugly looking car from the Porsche stable,but unfortunately the Panamera managed to do that. It may be a really good ride in all other aspects but its just hard for me to imagine a Porsche on the road and feel ,'what the hell is that'!!
Old 26th August 2010, 00:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

What is that shelf like thing behind the rear seats of the rapide?It eats up so much of space.
Old 26th August 2010, 01:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Its a parcel shelf. Used to keep golf clubs and the like, for the owners, so that they can regularly polish 'em.
Old 26th August 2010, 02:08   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

South Mumbai seems to be the obvious choice for opening a showroom because of various reasons :
1. Most of the clientele will be from South Mumbai
2. The roads are good and test drives (if any) will not be a problem.
3. The area is clean and does not get flooded.
4. There is not much road-digging in South Mumbai as much as the suburbs. Example - take a look at the BMW showroom in Juhu galli.

Going by the pics, it looks like the Rapide does loose out to the Panamera and the Quattroporte in terms of back seat space - something that is essential in these cars. The rear seats on the Rapide look as if they are in place just to make this car a 4-seater. The rear space looks cramped and the windows are small too.

If I were to chose between the 3 cars as a back-seat driver and an occasional front seat driver - I wouldnt count the Rapide as an option. In the same price pracket, I would prefer the Bentley FS Speed version which sits between the Maserati and Aston Martin.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:42   #26
BHPian

@v12

you forgot to add the xj-l in your list of cars to choose from.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@v12

you forgot to add the xj-l in your list of cars to choose from.
The XJ isn't a sports sedan. It competes with the S and 7er. While the Rapide, Quattroporte GTS and Panamera are proper "four-door supercars"
Old 28th August 2010, 12:22   #28
BHPian

ouch

that aspect i completely forgot!!
probably because v12 mentioned these few words :- back seat space - essential for these cars, rear seat space cramped, windows small AND he wants to be a back seat driver and occasional front seat driver.

my bad!!

Last edited by samyakmodi : 28th August 2010 at 12:25.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:49   #29

the problem IMHO is that AMs are too classy for our topography and would not really give that awe factor seen on the road. There are very few people who really could afford an AM and would buy an AM over a Lamborghini or Bentley. Porsche looks docile but sells its boxster carrera and cayman models that cost allot lesser. Lambo and Bentley have Bling. Ferrari has lost its exclusivity as theres one in every locality. Maserati very few people can understand their cost. Jaguar hardly has any takers. AMs, Masers and Jags would all appeal to a clients with similar swanky yet classy tastes rather than sportiness in their cars styling. AM is entering India almost last hence I presume they will play it wise. They shall set low targets which shall anyway be achieved, so it wouldn't appear to be a poor show. Other cars that fit into this same styling category as we go higher in segment would be Spykers and Paganis. Indians on the whole generally prefer loud bling or aggressive sporty styling or at least a name which every man on the road would envy like the Rolls. Even today looking at a 5 or 6 year old Lambo on Indian streets has a much better impact than seeing a 3 year old AM or Maser on a street abroad. Hence looking at the medium range too, a Merc is still a Merc while the craze for BMW came and went. Audi remaind neutral and still remains. Poor service and compatibility of some brands is also a factor. Most of the long run successful ones have at least either of the one. Tuning options like Brabus, ABT, Hamman, AC Snitzer 9ff and Lorinser satisfy a further market which eats into brands like AM Jag and Maser. Besides the factor of to show of expense a "personalised" sub exotic brand gives a better comprehensive package. In fact it speaks more about the owner in terms of technical knowledge of speed and power. Is as rare and exclusive. may be me powerful and capable with better reliability and more luxury features.

Last edited by AMG ML65 : 6th September 2010 at 21:55.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Jaguar hardly has any takers
You serious dude ? Well then why is it raining Jaguars in Mumbai and other cities ?

Quote:
AMs, Masers and Jags would all appeal to a clients with similar swanky yet classy tastes rather than sportiness in their cars styling.
Talking about Jaguar and AM, Masers in one sentence ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks