Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 19:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics & Video: An Afternoon at a Beach in Maharashtra with a Hummer H1 !!!

This is really a Monster. I had actually seen one on Pune University Road. Other cars got out of the way and were shocked to see the size (me included)

But can i ask one stupid question Why do people buy H1? Is it only the snob value? In my opinion looks wise other than the huge size it does not have anything else to offer. I mean with that much money to spend there would be many better options available.

Moderators can delete the post in case the above question sounds inappropriate.

Cheers,
Amit
Old 15th January 2011, 00:02   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Why do people buy H1? Is it only the snob value? In my opinion looks wise other than the huge size it does not have anything else to offer. I mean with that much money to spend there would be many better options available.

Cheers,
Amit

Man, you gotta see some H1s in Action. We are not talking about H2 H3s here. They are crap.
Google or Youtube for H1 videos & you will understand what this is.

This is the REAL HUMVEE, but a civilized one. The owner is one lucky guy.

Check out these videos;

This one is better:

Enjoy.
Old 15th January 2011, 21:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a beast! And it only seats 4 wow imagine the space each passenger must have. The boot in this thing must be gigantic. You probably wouldnt need a house anymore. It looks like the perfect vehichle to take out camping, it could take you to a nice remote location, you could have a nice bonfire barbecue. And then have deluxe accomadation right in the boot. What more could one ask for. Do remember to invite me for the camp.
Also are those tyres huge or what. Looks like they would fit a truck. To sum this vehicle in one word "Absolutely Fantastic" yeah i used two words. This thing is so huge one word cant probably describe it. Wishing the owner many happy miles of motoring with it.
Regards
mash
Old 15th January 2011, 21:20   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Why do people buy H1?
Because no one else has it (well, atleast a registered Hummer ) and it screams power, attitude and muscle. Try finding out more about the owner, and you'll know how the Hummer suits him perfectly well. This beast is intimidating; he prolly wanted just that.
Old 15th January 2011, 21:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

People buy an H1, for the exact reason they buy something like a Veyron, or an Enzo.

Even though you can rarely push these machines to their limits, but thte knowledge of their performance is good enough.

As for the H1's looks there is a few very important factor for its looks, things important to the Armed Forces, like simplicity, cheap, stackabilty etc etc. These dont feature on the normal car's requirement list.
Old 16th January 2011, 08:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Man, you gotta see some H1s in Action. We are not talking about H2 H3s here. They are crap.

Enjoy.

Thank you for sharing the videos. I never had any doubts abouts its power and its capabilities. The only thing i was wondering was when is that actually going to be put in use especially by city drivers? Its utility in Army is unquestionable. Thats what it was designed for in the first place.

But i think i get the answer. As GTO rightly mentioned its an Attitude thing. I rest my case and simply admire it.

Cheers,
Amit

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th January 2011 at 13:30. Reason: DO NOT quote videos, large text etc as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 16:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

Check out these videos;

This one is better:

Enjoy.
I got so nostalgic when I saw these posts. I was lucky enough to drive a Hummer H1 a few times way back in 1998-99! Of course there was only one model of the Hummer then - this one!
I drove it on the sands of Oman. We crossed deep sand, were in a 'pit' surrounded by tall sand dunes and also climbed over some huge boulders. The highlight and revelation of driving this beast was the effortless way in which it tackled everything. The person with me was a 'trained' Hummer driver and I was explained how to drive the Hummer. Very different from your LCs etc. and this was just after some major dune bashing in a LC in Dubai! In a Land Cruiser you power yourself through the dunes, whereas in a Hummer, if, you were to get stuck, you simply depress the brake pedal with the throttle, which brings the geared hub into play, multiplying your final drive ratio and increasing torque several times over!

Last edited by Zappo : 18th January 2011 at 00:50. Reason: Its often better to leave out big pics or videos while quoting someone.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do people buy H1? Is it only the snob value? In my opinion looks wise other than the huge size it does not have anything else to offer. I mean with that much money to spend there would be many better options available.
1. Exclusivity as GTO pointed out.
2. The H1 is a feat of Engineering

The H2 and H3 are powder puffs compared to what the H1 is.
Good H1s will appreciate while the H2 and H3 will only depreciate.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:56   #69
BHPian

i wish i could record the discovery channel documentary of xtreme machines and post it here. it shows a gradability of 70 degrees and traversing of over 40 degrees. the h1 is built to last 14 years in the most gruelling conditions of service. i wish they relaunch a eco friendly electric version or hydrogen hybrid or something in RHD.
Old 19th January 2011, 18:18   #70
BHPian

I aspire to have one delivered to my terrace suspended from a chinook chopper. great work karthik and dippy. spectacular. amazing. superb. bravo! maine abhi tak h1 nahi chalaya
Old 27th April 2011, 22:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

Found this on FB
Fan photos from Supercars and Exotics in Mumbai | Facebook

The person posting comments:
"check dis out army hummer h1 only 1 in india"
&
"my friends uncle own it via a contract costs 15 crores 1980's model" (15 crores with slightly deflated tyres & so much dust!!!)
&
"its fully bullet proof made up of tuffened glass like material and is automatic"

Pics & Video: An Afternoon at a Beach in Maharashtra with a Hummer H1 !!!-209914_197764253597988_100000932431566_464662_7835794_o.jpg

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 27th April 2011 at 22:35.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 23:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Wow that just might be only one of its kind in India.That looks like a military spec Humvee rather than a H1.Maybe imported by the Army long time back?
Old 27th April 2011, 23:53   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4ferrari View Post
i wish i could record the discovery channel documentary of xtreme machines and post it here. it shows a gradability of 70 degrees and traversing of over 40 degrees. the h1 is built to last 14 years in the most gruelling conditions of service. i wish they relaunch a eco friendly electric version or hydrogen hybrid or something in RHD.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but That is just not going to happen at all. Hummer, as a make, is dead. And I'd like to believe that it died the moment the last H1 was produced.

If it's a one-off you're talking about, then that is a dream that's not far away, if you want to do something about it and you have the money, of course.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Wow that just might be only one of its kind in India.That looks like a military spec Humvee rather than a H1.Maybe imported by the Army long time back?
This car was brought in a year or so ago to show the Indian Army and to keep. There was a contract between the company and the government that this car cannot be sold..so the claims made is not true. If the said gentleman has illegally taken possesion of the car then i do not know. This car would never be registered and ply the streets.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:06   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This car was brought in a year or so ago to show the Indian Army and to keep. There was a contract between the company and the government that this car cannot be sold..so the claims made is not true. If the said gentleman has illegally taken possesion of the car then i do not know. This car would never be registered and ply the streets.

Speedy,

You never cease to put a smile on my face!

That said, I have seen this car at the Aero Show in Bangalore a few years back or so, I think. It is humongous and looked right at home next to the wonderful F16s and our very own Tejas LCA.

Most Viewed