Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2006, 16:27   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess?
I don't know about the percentage of truth in your statement, but if it is true, then Ferrari have already kept the tradition of being an elitist pig alive here in India, that too before the start of its reign. I do understand its a stupid idea to add a CNG to a CS (if your statement is true which I doubt), but if the customer wants it and has paid for it then why the hell not? This is verging on car-cism (take on racism).
If you are infact Head of Marketing, I would advise you to go back to school to learn. Customer satisfaction is priority #1 and I know tons of people who have shifted from BMW, Mercedes, etc, to other brands just because dealer service was horrendous. I 'know' people who wanted to get M's but got Porsches just because BMW service is horrendous (I'm not speaking for Indian people who shifted but off ///M and Porsche forums). Just the badge will assure your minimum sales target, but with better customer satisfaction, you could be booked well over 2010 what with all the rich people in India.
guys guys guys...jokes aprt now im very serious ok.if any of you guys dont belive it please read my interview in overdrive magazine of feb..page 21.
yes we belive in satisfying customers but not at the price of the corporate image ok.ferrari is a lifestyle not just a car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Like someone has to pay 7.5 crores for a 1.5 crore F430 just for "spruced up" interiors??

I'm sorry but i don't think rich dudes are that stupid,duh.
i think you guys aint understading the thing. most buyers dont go in for all options together.hece on a car worth 1.5 he decides to buy carbon ceramic brakes as optional say costing $20000 but instead may charge him $100000. and hence the car would cost around 2 cr.just an example to xplain to youl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Well Ferrari might have created the legend and its these stupid people who make it grow and I find it extremely amusing that someone at your level would insult the grassroots so badly. I dont know if you ever heard the stories of the Maharaja's of India who actually used Rolls Royce's as dumpsters.

I was taught that the true essense of marketing lies in selling a Quality product that satisfies a consumer and making sure that the customer comes back with more new customers. Word of mouth is a strong communication method and statements like these can take you down even before you take your first steps.

Humility always begets more than arrogance is what my dad taught me.

Like I said earlier gimmicks are for a brand that cannot survive on its own.

yes i have heard the story of the maharaja using a rolls as a dumpster to insult it.but thats the way things are.and a ferari wouldnt be sold to such a person.thats a different thing that after purchase a person does somehting to the car.but before purchase if in the interview itself a person demands crazy things,then but obvious we wouldnt like to sell the car to such a person as it spoils the image of the brand too.and moresoever ferrari aint keen on selling in mass volume.its on to the select ellite few. it aint a right to own a ferrari...its a privillege.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th July 2010 at 22:35.
Old 8th March 2006, 16:38   #62
Team-BHP Support

Why is it then that Ferrari bend over backwards to please the whims and fancies of the Sultan of Brunei? When it comes down to it, every company has its price.
Old 8th March 2006, 16:40   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess?
I don't know about the percentage of truth in your statement, but if it is true, then Ferrari have already kept the tradition of being an elitist pig alive here in India, that too before the start of its reign. I do understand its a stupid idea to add a CNG to a CS (if your statement is true which I doubt), but if the customer wants it and has paid for it then why the hell not? This is verging on car-cism (take on racism).
If you are infact Head of Marketing, I would advise you to go back to school to learn. Customer satisfaction is priority #1 and I know tons of people who have shifted from BMW, Mercedes, etc, to other brands just because dealer service was horrendous. I 'know' people who wanted to get M's but got Porsches just because BMW service is horrendous (I'm not speaking for Indian people who shifted but off ///M and Porsche forums). Just the badge will assure your minimum sales target, but with better customer satisfaction, you could be booked well over 2010 what with all the rich people in India.
ferrari doesnt belive in selling a car to everybody and anybody.its not a car for the masses.its the most exclusive brand of the world.not only do we say it but its also mentioned by discovery channels extreme cars programme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Why is it then that Ferrari bend over backwards to please the whims and fancies of the Sultan of Brunei? When it comes down to it, every company has its price.
as i said its a very individualised aproach.it depends howmuch a dealer is keen on selling a car to which personality.if wer keen then we offer discounts.if we aint so keen and if the buyer still qualifies and we know the buy buyer can afford it then dealers exploit clients.this is worldwide but not yet in india.here we sell cars at factory prices and official msrp. however if we want a perticular buyer to have the car we do offer heavy dealer discounts for promotions. like if we know the buyer is gonna spread a positive word around to worthwile people and the buyer is gonna be seen in a favourable public image using a ferrari.lots of parameters are looked into.its more of a skill to judge it not influenced by many laws or rules or fixed guidelines.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th July 2010 at 22:35.
Old 8th March 2006, 18:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgheadferrari
as i said its a very individualised aproach.it depends howmuch a dealer is keen on selling a car to which personality.if wer keen then we offer discounts.if we aint so keen and if the buyer still qualifies and we know the buy buyer can afford it then dealers exploit clients.this is worldwide but not yet in india.here we sell cars at factory prices and official msrp. however if we want a perticular buyer to have the car we do offer heavy dealer discounts for promotions. like if we know the buyer is gonna spread a positive word around to worthwile people and the buyer is gonna be seen in a favourable public image using a ferrari.lots of parameters are looked into.its more of a skill to judge it not influenced by many laws or rules or fixed guidelines.

Umm, I really don't know that much about it, but worldwide offering of a 450% increase just for individualisation (even if for certain customers only)??? Is it still you or is it your 'pesky neighbour' again?? I hardly think dealers are allowed to charge above MSRP on BUILT-TO-ORDER cars. I would agree that they would charge a premium on high-demand off the floor cars but NEVER EVER for BTO cars. There are a lot of laws regarding that and I highly doubt Ferrari customers would be dumb enough to pay anything above a 25-50% premium for any of the cars barring the F-series.
About Ferrari being selective of their customers WORLD-WIDE, I highly consider rappers and murderers to be selective process. I mean according to reports even Sunjay Dutt supposedly bought a demo 430, shipped it to Italy and then shipped it to Bombay, so wheres the fact that Ferrari group doesn't support illegal transport (as you mentioned about Ferrari asking for only cheque payments or the sort in another thread).

Please don't try to prove Ferrari is some god and does everything right and is not looking out for money. Whilst I'm not aware of the inner workings of Ferrari, I'm 100% sure and so are the rest of the people here, that selective process is nothing when it comes to money. I mean, Ferrari built a 4-door car for the Sultan of Brunei. If that isn't diverting from Ferraris only-racing haritage then I don't know what is.

P.S. This is not something against you personally, but some of your claims seem incredulous to say the least (I'm talking about selectivity and not the Skoda/Maserati thing)
Old 8th March 2006, 18:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgheadferrari
ferrari doesnt belive in selling a car to everybody and anybody.its not a car for the masses.its the most exclusive brand of the world.not only do we say it but its also mentioned by discovery channels extreme cars programme.
Ferrari is NOT the most exclusive brand in the world. There are a ton of other companies which have lower production numbers and better (IMO ofcourse) products out there.

And I have NEVER heard 'you' say it, and if 'you' did say it, then 'you' have committed the biggest mistake of your life. No company who caters to the mass as such, will ever say "we don't need your sale" and not especially when just entering a brand new market like India, where the rich expect high levels of customer-dealer relations.

I would suggest you make an ad out of your "we only take the clients we like" ad in a newspaper in India, and then see how many clients approach you to buy a car and how many go ahead and buy directly from Italy.

P.S. Other than developing nations like India, etc. Ferraris are a dozen a mile.
Old 8th March 2006, 19:55   #66
Team-BHP Support

If National Motor shoot from GM cars to Ferrari's to their Ivory Tower, the elite will walk - go to SE Asia or UK - contact Marenello Concessionairs who have or used to have sole disti rights to RHD Ferrari's. Ferrari will hear about this and kick butt fast. Look what happened to Porsche in Delhi so I hear
Old 8th March 2006, 20:05   #67
BHPian

Exactly like Guess? said Ferrari mind you is not a Zonda if that was the case then they wouldn't build cars like the 430 or the 612 but stick its nose highup in the air and only build the F40s/50s and 60s (in limited volumes).

Ferrari very well needs volumes! Period! An elitest attitude will only result in bankruptcy and being bought over by another big car firm (which Ferrari already has been) Same with Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Buggati!

So (you are a pro at marketing) Ferrari is just a 'product' in a bigger company its not a standalone brand (with all due respect to the prancing horse). Even Rolls Royce needs volumes! (Dont know if mentioned earlier but even they are planning a baby rolls for 2008; Source: Autocar UK)

The thought of producing a little less than the demand thats what even the bhelwala below my place does (its common business sense).

Very importantly (not that I want to sound too patriotic) but Ferrari like all other luxury brands needs South Asia and China!!!
I was a part of a group set to launch Gucci in India, for all the crap that they might say India isn't mature enough or we are a super luxury brand, you came to India to improve your bottom line! Simple!

I love the prancing horse like all BHPians but your attitude is Archaic and bordering racism.

Like Guess? said earlier everyone has a price leave alone building a 4-door sedan ferrari also built stationwagons.

And yes Ferrari's can be easily procured without the company knowing of its whereabouts.
As for far as your exculsivety claims go its just an attitude European companies have about themselves.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

So if your neighbour was fooling around with your password, why does Klaus17's post about you being only 21 still go unanswered?

I think you need to get off your high horse. Barring a very few, this forum is not composed of the "elite" and "privileged" who can be "exploited". I take serious exception to your tone while talking down to us, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Especially since you seem to represent a company of humbugs who will sell to anyone and everyone and then preach to us mere mortals about its racing heritage and exclusivity.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r

I think you need to get off your high horse. Barring a very few, this forum is not composed of the "elite" and "privileged" who can be "exploited". I take serious exception to your tone while talking down to us, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Especially since you seem to represent a company of humbugs who will sell to anyone and everyone and then preach to us mere mortals about its racing heritage and exclusivity.
True, with all due respect. If Ferrari was actually all that it is or was then you wouldn't need National Garage for support(that serviced cars like Ambassador(which was and is a great car but was a copy so was the Contessa))! Your parent company is already in the dumps! Once FIAT goes bust (which it sooner than later will) Ferrari will be seen scurrying around for investors.
You know what happened to TVR right? Finally bought over by a Russian. Then for all you know some unknown millionaire from India might buy over Ferrari
Really wish to see the attitude of Ferrari then.

A brand is built by the people who buy it not by the company!!! Frankly you are simply eroding the image of the prancing horse

Last edited by Klaus17 : 8th March 2006 at 20:29.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:25   #70
BHPian

hey Doc - if you are to sell a ferrari in India - it would have been a real test for you to sell Ferrari to that guy from ludhiana ( read post no.55 ) and persuade him not to install "the LPG" kit as it is a sports car and ofcourse a ferrari... Now that would have been the MARKETING you should be doing..

No offence.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ostentatiousness and complacency will get the brand nowhere, to summarise many of our views here.
Old 8th March 2006, 20:34   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus17
Really wish to see the attitude of Ferrari then.

:

1992 - Looking at watches in London - "Can you really afford it, Sir? " sneered the sales man

Cut to 2005: This model is great value and has just come out. We can give you the best deal and ensure that you get your tax refund !!

Yes - every third serious shopper on Oxford Street is either Indian or Russian
Old 8th March 2006, 20:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Now we know why the GT40 and Lamborghini came into existence.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th March 2006 at 23:59.
Old 8th March 2006, 22:01   #74
BHPian

I couldn't resist replying anymore

I am an avid car enthusiast and used to be very interested in the Indian Car scene (foreign cars in India included) until I moved to the U.S. and started losing touch. I have been following most TEam BHP threads for a few months now although I rarely post.

The first time I read about this doctor, I got interested seeing his signature and was looking forward to insightful information on Ferrari's strategy in India, events in the pipeline, dealer pictures, etc. but alas, what I/we got was a load of crap (apologies moderators, but using the word crap was most suited and inevitable).

I agree with his claims on dealers being able to control/dictate prices but that only makes commercial sense in the cases of rare, limited edition, novelty (owned by a famous/notorious person) cars.

We would all agree, and when I say 'we' I include those illiterate in the complex discipline of marketing management (myself included) that it would be absolute harakiri (a crazy form of suicide) to charge ridiculous prices for non - limit (non predetermined limit I mean) production vehicles like the 430, the quattroporte, and the like. It would also be harakiri to discriminate against customers to "preserve" the exclusivity of the brand.

here is a fictitious scenario which I am sure will serve to amuse everyone.

Me: walking into National Garage, dressed in simple attire with no fancy accessories (cellphone, key fob, etc.)

Mktg. person: Hello, How may I help you?

Me: I would like to get some information on the F430

Mktg. person: (to himself) hmm, he seems like ordinary riff raff and doesn't look like he can afford one and then to me: Yes Sir, certainly, but may I ask what you do? We usually like to understand a person's background and see if they would fit our image and preserve our heritage and build on it.

Me: umm, that sounds incredulous, but anyways, I won the megamillions in the U.S. last week and all of a sudden I have more money than I could ever imagine and would like to spoil myself with some toys.

Him: oh, does that mean that you are not a man of stature, a man of good standing in business, media, or any other such entity? We will have to consider your situation before we decide whether we can sell it to you.

Me: Well, in that case, I don't think I will ever pass your 'test'. I am a simple self employed person who is a nobody in the world's eyes.
Thanks, and I guess, I should go look elsewhere.

Okay, so that was a ridiculous scenario that could NEVER take place in real life. Even if Ferrari/Maserati followed such practices it would be utterly moronic to reveal all that on a public forum like this.

Ferrari s.p.a is a commercial organization. Commercial organizations run for one purpose - to make money. The products for said commercial organization fall in the very high end range thus only allowing a minority of the general population to be their customers.

Dealers can but never will do such a thing as to demand ridiculously high prices for production cars. The sources for buying exotic cars are so vast (1000s of dealers, importers, and resellers besides owners wanting to sell their exotics can be found here in the U.S. and so is the case with other developed nations around the world) that trying to dictate prices is being monopolistic in an oligopolistic (a few sellers unlike only one seller in a monopoly) environment. e.g. There is only one dealer in my state and the next one is 5 states away but if my dealer decides to twist my arm in selling me a Ferrari I will only look elsewhere although it will cause me some inconvenience in travelling 5 states to find the next closest dealer. But that inconvenience is not sufficient to not make me go elsewhere.

That, unfortunately might not be the case with India where if the only dealer in the country decides to be a prick you have to go to Italy (or Dubai or wherever) to find another dealer. But that is where the other factor, that of human emotion comes into play.

Every car has its price, those will novelty attached to them (F430 owned by 50Cent e.g.) might go for more.

It is only in cases where the selling entity is non commercial, e.g. a museum wanting to go a piece from its collection to go into trustworthy hands or Pranlal Bhogilal deciding to sell or give away one of his cars to a person of his liking. Even in those cases, we can safely predict that money being a major factor is highly possible.

Buying a car, be it a Ferrari or a Suzuki, is not a one time exchange but the start of a long term relationship. A dealer wants your business, your appreciation which will result in spreading the word and bring more business. A dealer's attitude can make it or break it. The Mercedes dealer in Ahmedabad was so nice to us and made us feel so much at home that I wouldn't think twice before doing business with him again, so striking was his attitude and treatment that I would also be happy to extend personal help to him in a completely non-car-related situation.

That being said, I highly doubt that even the promoters/employees of National Garage in their right mind, would do what the doctor claims, and if they do, God save them from doom.

To end my sermon, here is a link that y'all might find interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferra...spagenameZWDVW

Yes, it is very common here to find exotics being sold on ebay. You will find quattroportes, SLRs, you name it. Just do a quick search for the vehicle you are looking for on Ebay motors and chances are that you will find it.

All the seller cares for is that I pay the amount I bid to win the auction. Whether I park the car in my yard and take a dump in it every morning or I take my 12 gauge and put 50 holes in it and use it for target practice is none of his concern.

In yo face, doctor. (seriously no offense Dr. Arora, I still appreciate reading your posts as some of them are infact interesting but it would only make sense if you used some common sense with your "Ferrariously excited ego".)

God bless,

Apologies for the long post
Old 8th March 2006, 22:39   #75
BHPian

nayakn: great post and you explained just about everything that I couldn't.
Again, one more proof of Ferrari not being selective: The recent accident of the Ferrari Enzo by the Dietrich guy. Now I don't know the complete history but am aware that he has TWO Enzos to his name and if you search for his history, you will definitely find that he doesn't exactly have a clean record what with allegations of him running the company (Gizmondo -UK gaming co.) into ruins. I'm aware that I probably will never be able to own a Ferrari, but don't come in a public forum and try to act god and try to say that only people with 'heritage' and those that 'fit-the-bill' are able to buy such cars. Its a downright shame that a person whois supposed to sell a company to its customers is infact doing more to tarnish the name than anything else by placing the company as the be all and end all.

Most Viewed