Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 11:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Question: Do the Super-bikes come with How-to manual? As it comes in Europe? I ask as Ducati has moved from Gurgaon.

Also, if we service the bike ourselves as many riders do worldwide, dies the warranty hold?

Thanks!
Old 9th June 2011, 12:17   #17
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Jayanth, Congrats man!!!!! You got yourself an AWESOME ride! We should meet
Thanks Sriram. We should definitely meet and you been lazy again on ownership report of your new ride

Folks, Sriram played a major role in influencing the purchase decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Question: Do the Super-bikes come with How-to manual? As it comes in Europe? I ask as Ducati has moved from Gurgaon.

Also, if we service the bike ourselves as many riders do worldwide, dies the warranty hold?

Thanks!
By How to I'm assuming you are talking about the workshop/service manual. For Ducati, you have to buy one seprately. From the dealer, it costs $74 but you can find it online for around $35. AFAIK, its not given free with the bike anywhere in the world. Another work around is the service manuals of the older monsters like S2R are available dirt cheap for around $3~4 where most of the technology is same.

Yes, if you service the bike yourself, it will void the warranty. The dealer clearly told me about that. The International scenario is the same (as read in forums like Ducatimosterdotorg). But if you are worried about getting the bike serviced in Gurgaon, let me tell you that the engineers from Bangalore and Mumbai travel all over India to service the bikes. I understand it will not be that easy as having a dealer in your city but it definitely is a better option than servicing the bike yourself. Me thinks unless one is associated with the brand for a long time with its various products and knows the technology and the mechanisms of the product, it will be quite a pain to open up the bike and work on it
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 14:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Have ordered for a battery tender, paddock stand and fork/axle sliders.
Paddock Stand, how much does it cost? Feel its practical to own one when you got such a beauty. Is the application/use fairly simple that could be done by one person?
Old 9th June 2011, 14:38   #19
JVH
Senior - BHPian

^ Don't know the exact cost yet but dealer hinted something around 7~8K. Me thinks it's really required. How else can one lube the chain and check the oil levels....

It cannot be done by one person. Someone will have to hold the bike while the paddock is being set up by another one.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! JVH

All my acquaintances in EU do their bikes themselves, maybe they have old bikes that are not under warranty. That said, they have to get their rides checked biennial, thus get the road worthy certificate regularly without any dealer support. Wonder how?

Cheers!
Old 9th June 2011, 15:09   #21
JVH
Senior - BHPian

You are welcome Sniper!

Your acquaintances most definitely might be having another gem of a manual called Ducati Desmodue/Desmotre Maintenance and Modification Guide written by Lt Snyder from Desmo Times. This is a gem of a DIY book if one has the right workshop tools. I've observed that Ducati owners specially in the US and EU are a close knit community and take pride in maintaining their bikes and reaching out to help others in the Ducatista family.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How else can one lube the chain and check the oil levels....
I use the wheel jack from my car to prop the bike up. I place it under the rear shock absorber and prop the bike a few inches so i can clean and lube the chain, clean the wheels, etc.

Engine oil level can be checked correctly only if the bike is vertical and won't work with this jugaad. The ninja has an oil pressure lamp that glows if the oil level is dangerously low so i've almost never checked the oil level via the small glass window as in the below picture.

Ducati Monster 796 ownership-kawasakininja650r25.jpg
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 20:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I use the wheel jack from my car to prop the bike up. I place it under the rear shock absorber and prop the bike a few inches so i can clean and lube the chain, clean the wheels, etc.
Attachment 557478
You think its safe? never seen anyone doing it before hence my concerns
Old 9th June 2011, 22:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
You think its safe? never seen anyone doing it before hence my concerns
Yeah its safe. Thats how i have been cleaning my chain (and lubing it) and wheels for the past one year

The bike is steady too. You just have to make sure the floor is as flat as possible and not smooth (tiled flooring, etc.) so that the jack does not slip.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th June 2011 at 22:41.
Old 10th June 2011, 08:00   #25
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Attachment 557478
Can you post a pic please?
Old 10th June 2011, 09:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

JVH,
From what i could pick up/understand from Aditya, he does place the jack right underneath the rear absorber bedding mount and jacks it up a few turns to get the rear wheel off the ground. Whilst its good for short duration of time for minor attentions not too sure how stable it would be to park the bike this way unattended areas(common parking lobby in flat) as contact area between jack & shock absorber would be less.

Aditya,
Guess thats how you do?
Old 10th June 2011, 10:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a pic please?
Sure. Will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Whilst its good for short duration of time for minor attentions not too sure how stable it would be to park the bike this way unattended areas(common parking lobby in flat) as contact area between jack & shock absorber would be less.

Aditya, Guess thats how you do?
Correct. I only use this method when i need to prop the rear wheel to clean and lube the chain. Otherwise, the bike rests on the kick stand when its parked away.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:01   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the Italian Stallion , eagerly waiting for more pics..
Old 10th June 2011, 14:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jayant.
Hope i will catch it in flesh over the weekend as i will be staying at Shantivana for the weekend.
Old 10th June 2011, 18:03   #30
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Congrats on the Italian Stallion , eagerly waiting for more pics..
Thanks! Will add pics soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Congrats Jayant.
Hope i will catch it in flesh over the weekend as i will be staying at Shantivana for the weekend.
Thanks and sure, come on over. I'll not be home tomorrow 2nd half of the day as I have some stupid exams but we can catch up on Sunday

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks