Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 23:35   #451
BHPian

Lionell cool pics bike looks superb, i cant wait to get mine, got a call saying my bike is expected late this december, keeping my fingers crossed. I heard that they are delivering the first 4 bikes booked in bangalore this week, i am 8th in line so still got to wait.:-(
Old 5th January 2013, 19:43   #452
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

My Kawasaki story so far:

Ever since I read the reviews of the Kawasaki Ninja 650 R, when it was launched in 2011, I had been smitten by the machine. Come mid 2012 and Bajaj launched the 2012 Ninja 650 in India - a thoroughly improved machine the 2012 Ninja 650 was something of a great story getting even better.

But, the fact that I would have to take the bike all the way into Bombay for servicing was always on the back of my mind and this held me from getting the bike. Also, when I inquired at PBK at Kanjurmarg, they said they are not accepting bookings for the 650 at that moment. Well, as things would go, to my good fortune, very soon after KTM Vasai opened up. The fact that the Kawasaki was now available right at my doorstep was irresistible. On enquiry with them they confirmed that they are accepting bookings for the 650. So, mid September I put down 50K and booked my 650. A long wait later mid November I received a shining green beauty. But, I hardly got to ride the beauty, the very next day I had to leave for work. After, an agonising wait finally I got to ride the Ninja 650.

As of now, I have covered 550kms with the 650. My initial impressions are:

She is an absolute beauty to ride. Smooth and composed and takes corners like a hoot. Riding it, I get the usual 'headlight chalu hai' and 'average kitna hai' comments from people on the road. Kids just flock around the bike, making it difficult to park the bike anywhere without having to worry about the bike.

I haven't been pushing the bike much. Have been keeping it under 4000rpm for the most, with a few occasional bursts above. She rides well, but on the initial rear shock setting at '3' it used to bounce about quite a bit when travelling over uneven road surfaces. Moved it the '4' stage, and its slightly better now. In 60% highway and 40% in town riding, she returns about 22kmpl. The brakes as everyone mentioned, feel wooden. That is a bit disconcerting. Otherwise, the weight being a bit on the higher side is the only negatives I can think of.

Have got a few essential accessories for the bike:
R&G Frame sliders
Harris clear tank pad
Factory Effex swingarm spools
Xena disc lock

The Frame Sliders are a real saver. The other day while maneuvering the bike out from where it was parked, my right leg slipped and I could not support the bikes weight with my hands, thus dropping the bike flat on its right side. Thankfully the frame sliders took all the impact (see pic) and save for an almost invisible scratch on the right rear-view mirror no other damage was noted on the bike.

Looking forward to good times with the Greenie

I leave you with a few pictures. Forgive me for the poor quality of the pictures.

Magnaspectre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 22:57   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaspectre View Post
The Frame Sliders are a real saver. The other day while maneuvering the bike out from where it was parked, my right leg slipped and I could not support the bikes weight with my hands, thus dropping the bike flat on its right side.
Congratulations on your new toy. This is a very good option that we have for touring, occasional track usage and a commuter bike if needed. Very glad that you picked up the frame sliders along with the bike itself. From my experience they saved my bike as well. Hope you have picked up sufficient body gear as well?
Do create your own thread with all details.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:59   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congratulations on your new toy. This is a very good option that we have for touring, occasional track usage and a commuter bike if needed. Very glad that you picked up the frame sliders along with the bike itself. From my experience they saved my bike as well. Hope you have picked up sufficient body gear as well?
Do create your own thread with all details.
Thanks ku69rd! Hopefully, will create a thread once i've put in some decent miles on the Ninja.

Yes, got myself the basic gear.
Airoh Pit One XR Helmet
DSG Nero Jacket
Cramster gloves and Knee pads
Orazo boots

and for in-town riding I stick to my trusty ol' AGV helmet.
Old 10th January 2013, 19:19   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaspectre View Post
My Kawasaki story so far:
The Frame Sliders are a real saver. The other day while maneuvering the bike out from where it was parked, my right leg slipped and I could not support the bikes weight with my hands, thus dropping the bike flat on its right side. Thankfully the frame sliders took all the impact (see pic) and save for an almost invisible scratch on the right rear-view mirror no other damage was noted on the bike.
Congratulations from a fellow 2012 owner!
Glad the sliders did their job, got them installed on my bike too.
The facebook group is running a group buy for EBC HH brake pads and steel braided lines. If you are on the group, consider joining the group buy too!
Vasai is perfectly placed for you to hit the gujarat highway! I can imagine you have hit Charoti Naka a few times already
Ride safe and keep the updates coming!
Old 31st January 2013, 23:09   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Congratulations from a fellow 2012 owner!
Glad the sliders did their job, got them installed on my bike too.
Thanks Sirku! Yeah, the sliders are absolutely essential.
For now I shall keep the brakes stock, hopefully in a years time wiill upgrade them.
Will keep the updates coming
Old 9th February 2013, 15:32   #457
BHPian

Guys here are some pics from my sunday ride:-) Happy riding
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review-20130203-11.42.54.jpg  

Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review-20130203-11.43.00.jpg  

Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review-20130203-11.42.08.jpg  

Attached Images

sag_kv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 20:20   #458
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pics Sag_KV. Any chance of getting black portion painting to green around headlight? Did you think about it?

I still don't understand why Kawi guys got some portion changed to black when all was looking good in 2012 model.
Old 10th February 2013, 11:29   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I still don't understand why Kawi guys got some portion changed to black when all was looking good in 2012 model.
Well they had to make 'some' changes for the 2013 model! Apart from the black fairing around the headlight, it has hideous Ninja stickers on the side of the tank. What were they thinking? 2012 model looked best. The new one just looks like a green Yamaha Fazer 150.
Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review-cyber-green.jpg

Plus this green colour is only available in Asia for the 2013 model, not available in North America. Wonder why is that?

Also, a friend of mine got a 2013 N-650 and needs to get frame sliders but the PBK people are saying that the frame sliders for the 2012 model will not fit the 2013 model. Is this true?
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 12:57   #460
BHPian

I am getting used to the looks, it did,nt appeal to me also at first. No i am not going to get it painted. The black colour is metallic powder coated, it looks okay in real rather than pics.

Head on yes it slightly mimics a frazer but once you cross over to the side it has no comparision.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:08   #461
BHPian

cataclysm,

In my opinion the sliders for the 2012 WILL FIT THE 2013 as there are no changes in the bike apart from a bit more black as all above are mentioning. The ABS option is not offered here. Please ask your friend to try again with PRS.
I have the R&G no cut sliders and they are decent
Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 15:15   #462
BHPian

catclysm,
the sliders will fit the 2012 and 2013. there is no difference apart from the color.
PRS stocks R&G no cut sliders for about 9500/-
DSG stocks Puig no cut sliders for about 7650/-

Take your pick and get them fitted asap!
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 21:39   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
In my opinion the sliders for the 2012 WILL FIT THE 2013...
Even I'm of the same opinion and told my friend the same as the changes in the 2013 model are only cosmetic i.e. paint job and new stickers here and there. But the PBK guys in Chandigarh are saying that 2012 frame sliders won't fit as some guy got sliders for the 2012 model but they couldn't fit them on his 2013 Ninja. Will confirm with PRS. Most probably it seems like a case of incompetence of the Chandigarh PBK guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
The sliders will fit the 2012 and 2013. there is no difference apart from the color.
PRS stocks R&G no cut sliders for about 9500/-
DSG stocks Puig no cut sliders for about 7650/-
Can you recommend which one would be better? Almost 2K difference between both, which is substantial!

Can someone recommend saddlebags for the 650? And where to buy them from? Checked PRS but they have tailbags as of now. Ordering from abroad is not an option.

Thanks!
Old 12th February 2013, 18:11   #464
BHPian

cataclysm,
I've fitted the R&G sliders. Have not seen anybody with Puig's, but that does not mean they are bad, only they probably were not available earlier.

For saddlebags/tailbags, aargee's excellent comparison thread should give you some pointers.

I use the dirtsack speedbags and overniter
But plan on getting the Viaterra claw soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Can you recommend which one would be better? Almost 2K difference between both, which is substantial!

Can someone recommend saddlebags for the 650? And where to buy them from? Checked PRS but they have tailbags as of now. Ordering from abroad is not an option.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 23:28   #465
BHPian

Finally today got the LH grab rail removed the irritating saree guard:-) and now the bike has got symmetry, looks even from all angles. The whole process took me just 30 min very easy do it yourself job, as i didnt have time to take my bike to the showroom, i picked up the grab rail and long dew was my manual as i was given the old one, the manager said he,ll mail it to me, still dont have the manual.

For removing the saree guard youll require a 12 size T spaner which i bought, rest a 10 spanner for removing the bolt underneath the seat and the large L screw driver for removing the lower bolt at the footpeg are in the tool kit. To fix the grab rail you just require the 10 size spaner & L screw driver, all the bolts, washers and rubber bushes are provided with the grab rail.The grab rail costed me Rs 806 /-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks