Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 21:34   #466
BHPian

The bike looks awesome without the saree guard:-) Today had gone on a 100 km drive reached 530 km on the odo.Today i rev to 6k rpm a few times just momenteraly wow she fells really smooth at the rpm, the 4k limit got me returning back to low rpms, cant wait to complete the run in.I think i should do the chain lubrication at 550 k, should i take it to the showroom or do it myself. And i have made good use of the saree guard:-):-) , here are some pics
Attached Images

sag_kv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:51   #467
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Hi Sag_kv
You dont need to take it anywhere to get the chain lubed. Just buy a decent chain lube spray and DIY. Cant find it buy thick oil SAE 80 /90 and use liberally on a warm chain. There will be spray on the wheels which u can wipe clean later.
Rgds
Old 18th February 2013, 14:05   #468
BHPian

Depending on the type of lube used, the frequency of lubing is different.
I use Wurth HHS Dry lube, which lasts about 400-450 kms. It has the benefit of not getting flicked off as easily as regular chain sprays.
3M make an excellent chain lube.
Motul has good products as well.
I would recommend visual inspection of the chain every week, followed by lubing every 2-300 kms as necessary.

Sriku
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 21:14   #469
BHPian

Any shop in bangalore that sells motul lubricants
Old 20th February 2013, 23:14   #470
BHPian

Guys i think partly the break feel is bad due to the tyres as i felt the rubber appears slightly hard, even after doing 530 km the green lines on the rubber are still seen, i was surprised because the rubber has not worn out at all, its good that the tyres long last but at the cost of grip, has anybody tried lower tyre pressures, i use 32 front & 36 rear as recommended.
Old 21st February 2013, 08:43   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag_kv View Post
Any shop in bangalore that sells motul lubricants?
You can source Motul products at wholesale prices from Motorcycle Components on JC Road. These guys are distributors for Yamaha too.

You can contact them here. Contact person is Mr. Vineet.

Quote:
Guys i think partly the break feel is bad due to the tyres as i felt the rubber appears slightly hard, even after doing 530 km the green lines on the rubber are still seen, i was surprised because the rubber has not worn out at all, its good that the tyres long last but at the cost of grip, has anybody tried lower tyre pressures, i use 32 front & 36 rear as recommended.
Since this is a sports tourer the tires are of a slightly hard compound and best for touring and street use. If you want better grip, inflate to one or two psi lower than the recommended pressure.

I am still running the factory fitted IRC on my Ninja 250R on the front wheel. I reckon it will require a change after another 1000 kms or so. The odo is nearing 30,000 kms.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st February 2013 at 08:44.
Old 24th February 2013, 21:05   #472
BHPian

Thanks aditya for the info, i called up the shop. they said out of stock, so i tried at x torque wonderful shop got the cleaner & lube, bought the rear stand to mount the bike for servicing.

Did the cleaning & lubrication went for a drive today somehow did,nt really feel great difference in smoothness as evrybody say, i should recheck the lubrication whether i did a good job or not. I didnt have much cleaning to do as there was not much of rust /dust (500km).I spraded about 2 rounds of lube.

Today on the ride saw a very bad accident of a ninja 1000 cc, rider in a bad shape admitted to the hospital a close freind of my friend, just hoping he recovers.

Had met many riders on the kolar highway at adigas. Wonderful bikes i saw today.Guys i wanted to know about the ninja group in bangalore, is there a group on facebook so that i can join.

Last edited by sag_kv : 24th February 2013 at 21:07.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:33   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Had met many riders on the kolar highway at adigas. Wonderful bikes i saw today.Guys i wanted to know about the ninja group in bangalore, is there a group on facebook so that i can join.
Here you go,
www.facebook.com/groups/india650R/

Sriku
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 11:45   #474
BHPian

Hi sag_kv

Chain lube thats used by Bajaj on a new machine is very good. When that wears off and your chain is dry you start using whatever you choose. Over lubing is not taking you anywhere as the excess is anyway flung off. Since you have a paddock stand you should be able to lubricate a bike chain very easily. Roll the wheel backwards and spray liberally into the rollers. I have the Motul products (Lube & clean) but I dont like the lube as its too sticky. Advantage is it wont get flung off too easily but downside is that loads of muck sticks on esp in an open chain. Prefer thick SAE 90 oil to lubricate and an old toothbrush and some diesel to clean.

Bike will get smoother as you ride it and get to about 1500 / 2000 kms. Switch to a better oil (i.e Motul 300V 15W 50) and the motor purrs better. I have no issues with the tyres at the recommended tyre pressure. In fact I like them. More importantly check the clutch play ,throttle play, chain slack to be sure all is OK which will ensure u get the max out of your bike.

Rgds

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st April 2013 at 17:26. Reason: replaced u with you. please type in full english and kindly avoid short forms.
Old 26th February 2013, 13:44   #475
BHPian

To clean the chain I've done a DIY chain brush.
Basically two sensodyne soft bristle tooth brushes facing each other, fastened around a spacer (eraser) using a zip tie. The brushes align each other over and under the chain, making it easy to clean.

I know there are brushes available for this, but I had some old toothbrushes lying around, that come in handy. The radiator has its own sensodyne too

Regards,
Sriku
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 11:48   #476
Senior - BHPian

Dealers claim a three month waiting period on the Ninja 650R. Confirmed by calling three of them. Any idea what is the supply situation?

A flat no from all dealers for the Ninja 250, I was told supplies have stopped and there are no dealer stocks anywhere. Reason given was the Ninja 300 expected around May 2013.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:00   #477
BHPian

Hi dinyaar, did my first service exactly at 1003 km, at autoservice wonderful place ;-), stayed there all the time my bike was being worked on. They used 10 40 w motul factory line, i think that was the recommended, ( you said 15 50 w in your post) does it make a difference.

Had gone on a ride same day, definitely smoothness has improved a lot, ;-) and breaking still no good, I'm planning to upgrade to EBC soon.

Note from Support - Please avoid SMS language/short forms such as u for you, m for I'm, etc. as it affects readability. Kindly type in full and proper English for the benefit of the community. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th March 2013 at 14:07.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:18   #478
BHPian

Hi sag_kv,
Well 10W 40 is the recommended grade but actually 15W 50 can also be used and even the manual has a chart that suggests the same. Depends on the weather which in case of us guys in Bbay is always hot and sometimes even Hotter!!!
Thicker oil( in LIMIT) is better protection and I always found that a Kawasaki ran better with a thicker grade and this 650 motor is no exception. See the Ninja engine is noisy and 15W 50 at least in my opinion even made the engine PURR better and you definately hear less of that " clicking".
You can always switch at the next oil change and then judge for yourself the preferred grade.
In any case all this is not night & day but rather subtle and both GRADES WILL WORK FINE.

Well I dont have the Ninja anymore but if I did I would have swapped the pads / lines for sure. I dont say that the brakes are bad or inadequate just that these small upgrades make the braking that little bit more sharp & has a much better feel. Maybe I am imagining but even the Pazzo brake lever improved things a tiny bit.
Anyway good luck & ride safe
DK
Old 1st April 2013, 16:19   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
Well I dont have the Ninja anymore but if I did I would have swapped the pads / lines for sure. I dont say that the brakes are bad or inadequate just that these small upgrades make the braking that little bit more sharp & has a much better feel. Maybe I am imagining but even the Pazzo brake lever improved things a tiny bit.
Anyway good luck & ride safe
DK
I just upgraded my lines to HEL steel braided lines, pads to EBC Extreme Pro and installed clipons and better levers on Friday. Done 200kms on the new setup, and dropped the fork a little too, to make it sharper. Definite improvement in stopping power. Second service is due in 300kms, and will post some pics then.

Dinyaar, don't have the ninja anymore?
Old 1st April 2013, 22:08   #480
BHPian

Hi Sriku

Yes Clyton told me you were there at 7th gear too and that u were getting stuff done. What levers did you get?
Yes I dont have the Ninja 650 anymore. I bought the bike that I should have 3 years ago i.e A CB 1000r. I have loved it ever since I first rode a friends 2009 bike. At the time I thought I should try everything out there before I plonk my money. Finally after riding a hell of a lot of machines at various price points & buying a new Ninja I decided to go back to what I love the most. I need a commuter and I would like to own a superbike but having 2 big bikes would be criminal so the ninja was sold to a neighbour / friend who is happy with it.

I just finished running in the Ninja last month and am back to running in the CB!! Its really frustrating keeping the revvs low on this machine. Just got the sliders today and will fit it after dinner. Am just keeping it stock as I like it that way.
Rgds

Last edited by dinyaar : 1st April 2013 at 22:13.

Most Viewed