Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 15:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Great review.

Somehow from the pictures, the bike doesnt look aka a superbike; somehow seems to be lacking something; need to see it in the flesh before I make the decision to shell out the 4.5L (my paunch not withstanding... )
Old 8th June 2011, 15:42   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
At what RPM does the bike redline? Not really something to look forward to in a touring bike, but just curious
I am dead sure that I hit 11,500 rpm, and the engine refused to go higher
Old 8th June 2011, 15:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Superb review bblost.

That is good pricing by Bajaj and now the 250 looks even more expensive.

Yam & Suzuki, time to wake up and smell the coffee!
Old 8th June 2011, 15:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
We filled around 7 L after 120 kms. With the 15.5 Liter tank. That is a 260km range. But since you don't want to run dry, its an effective 200 km range.
Hmm... A larger tank would definitely have helped with the touring. NH touring will not be an issue as we might land up at a 24 hr. fuel pump in about 60kms. But the SH touring will be the problem with a small range of the tank since its very difficult to find 24 hr. fuel pumps.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:00   #50
BHPian

A 5 star review the first time T-bhp tries its hand at a 2 wheeler, Congratulation Bblost, It was most enjoyable and satisfying to read. Nice pics by Stratos. Again very very professional.

I think now we can say proudly say that our 2 wheeler reviews are also best in the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BBlost, thanks for Team-BHP's first official motorcycle review! Rating your thread a well-deserved 5 stars.

- Mouth-watering pricing. Manson & I were thinking 6.5 lakhs on road in Bombay. Hyosung must be sweating right now (Hyosung's 650 is more expensive!!)

- Newbie friendly. I felt completely at home within 1 km of riding. It's probably a great bike to fine-tune your skills before graduating to the liter class.

- Buying a brand new bike from the showroom with full warranty, service and parts support is beautiful. You can also take a loan!

- Build quality is OUTSTANDING. Even places where you won't usually look (e.g. our observations on the areas below instrument cluster). Fit & finish is top notch consistently....something even a 20 lakh Harley fails to provide.

- I GREATLY missed a gear indicator. Manson laughed at this (I also would, if someone told me they need a gear indicator in a car). But if its a beginners bike, a currently chosen gear indicator would greatly help dudes like me.

- Riding position is not low slung like racers. Rather upright like a regular bike. I prefer the low slung. No pain on the hands after riding.

- Found the handlebars to be unusually wide?

- Is F-A-S-T. Before I realised, I was already at the triple digits! Mid-range is wild. Was quite an experience for a car guy like me.

- Gearshift wasn't as slick as I remember from Rtech's Kawasaki ZZR 400.

- HATE the exhaust note. Would have liked something sporty.

- Vibration-free. All through the revv range.

- Handling through mild fast corners was confidence inspiring.

- Pain to turn at 0 kph, when parking for instance.

- Ride quality was stiff at low speeds. Could feel every small bit of the road.

- LED brake light was very powerful. Even when I was following you during the day in my Civic, they immediately got my attention when you braked.

- Did NOT scrape on any speedbreaker. Including the really large ones on the Panvel bypass.

- 5 stars to the solid braking capability.
Do I see an avid Biker?

I think Bajaj have got the pricing spot on and Garware - Hyosung are in trouble unless they offer a price cut or more features.

That said I think hitting high speeds (130+) on the Ninja would be difficult due to wind resistance where the GT would excel. So the high speed enthusiasts will have to turn to the GT for that.

Can we have the sales figures for these two machines after their first month after launch so as to guage how they have shaped up. My guess would be the Ninja beating the Hyosung hands down.

Last edited by Slick : 8th June 2011 at 16:03.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:08   #51
BHPian

I liked the naked back and I also thought the exhaust was the lone sore part. Gears being sticky is definitely a Kawasaki trademark character. And yes, the gear indicator would be a big plus for beginners. Competative pricing with finance option is surely is big attraction as pointed by many of you. Bajaj is getting better by each passing year in terms of build quality I must say.

Alas, can't think of buying one since wifey is against any new 2 wheeler entry though I would have loved to own a Ninja, the cult brand!

Wondeful review, rated 5 star already! Official 1st bike review?? I can't believe it. Hope you champs bring-in many more bike reviews. Excellent photographs to accompany a very good write-up. Good job guys!
Old 8th June 2011, 16:10   #52
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome review bblost. I'm sure at a sub 5-lakh price it will have enough takers. Superb pics and great content. Truly worth 5-stars !!

Competition better wake up !! We would love to see some Yamaha R6's and CBR 600's being sold off the shelf in India.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:10   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
That said I think hitting high speeds (130+) on the Ninja would be difficult due to wind resistance where the GT would excel. So the high speed enthusiasts will have to turn to the GT for that.
I have zilch idea on the GT, but the Ninja 650R FEELS AT HOME at speeds around 150-160 kmph. To give you an idea, I remember bumping the tacho at 150 kmph in third.
The windscreen was is highly suited to someone this side of 5 feet 8", you can tuck behind it without much discomfort, no need for any serious crouching pratice like you'd need with the more track focussed cousins.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Great review.

Somehow from the pictures, the bike doesnt look aka a superbike; somehow seems to be lacking something; need to see it in the flesh before I make the decision to shell out the 4.5L (my paunch not withstanding... )
It is not a superbike, Superbikes are above 800cc ( please correct if wrong) Also it is meant for touring and city travelling hence the upright stance. I am sure she has street presence. Well that green colour will definitely have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I liked the naked back and I also thought the exhaust was the lone sore part. Gears being sticky is definitely a Kawasaki trademark character. And yes, the gear indicator would be a big plus for beginners. Competative pricing with finance option is surely is big attraction as pointed by many of you. Bajaj is getting better by each passing year in terms of build quality I must say.

Alas, can't think of buying one since wifey is against any new 2 wheeler entry though I would have loved to own a Ninja, the cult brand!

Wondeful review, rated 5 star already! Official 1st bike review?? I can't believe it. Hope you champs bring-in many more bike reviews. Excellent photographs to accompany a very good write-up. Good job guys!
Its an inline twin they are bound to be relatively silent. An iniline 4 would be deep and loud followed by a V twin a la GT650 R or the Ducati monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I have zilch idea on the GT, but the Ninja 650R FEELS AT HOME at speeds around 150-160 kmph. To give you an idea, I remember bumping the tacho at 150 kmph in third.
The windscreen was is highly suited to someone this side of 5 feet 8", you can tuck behind it without much discomfort, no need for any serious crouching pratice like you'd need with the more track focussed cousins.
That's great, most probable buyers would rarely venture the other side of 150kph while touring. This makes the Ninja a firm favourite in my book.

Last edited by Slick : 8th June 2011 at 16:18.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

First off, congrats to Imran for the awesome review. This is the first official review in the motorcycles section and boy, what a bike to start off with.

Thanks to GTO and Manson for the points shared on their riding experience.

The pricing is spot-on and Bajaj has done a commendable job. This should set the tone for healthy competition in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Is the bike detuned for India? If yes, do we have torque/power maps for Indian version?

Am surprised the bike does not have an immobilizer. Does Ninja 250 has one?
The bike has not been detuned for Indian conditions. It has no engine immobilizer either (neither does the smaller sibling). The 250R does not have hazard lights and this is a nice inclusion on the 650R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
From what i have read and heard, the vibes on the GT650 are more evident at high revv's and can be uncomfortable too. At the risk of sounding like a ninja fanboy, i can say that a few who test rode the GT650 in mumbai/pune did complain numbness in their fingers due to the excessive vibes from the V-twin engine.

The Ninja 650 on the other hand will be able to cruise at triple digits comfortably without any strain on the engine or the rider. Top whack is reportedly around 240kmph.

Edit - Here is the official website - http://www.bajajauto.com/probiking/ninja650.htm

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th June 2011 at 16:44.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 16:28   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Torquedo - impossible pricing for Mumbai. 4.62 has to be ex-showroom because of the higher taxes. Add Octroi to the mix and Mumbai will be right behind Bangalore in the OTR price department. This bike is 5L+ OTR...I highly doubt the claim of 4.62L for OTR Mumbai!
gsferrari - I got the info from the following website -

Motorbeam.com - Indian Car Bike News, Car Bike Reviews, Maruti Suzuki, Tata, Fiat, Toyota, Skoda, Volkswagen, Bajaj, TVS, Hero Honda, Yamaha R15, Honda CBR250R

You might want to check it out, I myself am not sure on the authenticity of the information, I posted it as there is a categorical mention on the portal about the bike being manufactured in MH consequentially saving logistics charges.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

How twitchy is the handling at triple digit speeds?

Comments on straight line stability when encountering minor bumps and potholes?

Tendency to fishtail under heavy rear braking?
Old 8th June 2011, 16:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
From what i have read and heard, the vibes on the GT650 are more evident at high revv's and can be uncomfortable too. At the risk of sounding like a ninja fanboy, i can say that a few who test rode the GT650 in mumbai/pune did complain numbness in their fingers due to the excessive vibes from the V-twin engine.

The Ninja 650 on the other hand will be able to cruise at triple digits comfortably without any strain on the engine or the rider. Top whack is reportedly around 240kmph.
You own a Ninja250 so you would know well how good the engine is, no fanboyism there.
Yes the vibes at high speed have been widely reported in the GT (across dirfferent forums) and the Japs are masters in this regard. Top whack is the last nail, the GT is somewhere around 200 if I am not wrong.
I hope the GT scales down its price as we need both these bikes to succeed.
Married men who need permission (finance in my case) from their better halves would be inclined towards the Ninja big time due to pillion comfort.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:00   #59
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton Team for the wonderful compilation and beautiful, crisp pictures.

We have started the 'Official Motorcycle Reviews' with a bang. And I believe we are the first, spoiling everyone's party

Can't wait for more reviews to start pouring in
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 17:10   #60
BHPian

Awesome Review. Nice to see a bike of this class having a practical rear seat. Whether the wifey uses it or not, at least helps convincing them about it.

I'd really wish they offer another variant with ABS given that is already available in International markets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks