Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 10:51   #616
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Kawasaki has revealed the 2017 Ninja 650 at Intermot, 2016.
It looks brilliant. Specially in that Orange / Red colour. I hope Kawasaki launches that colour option here. It should be a good value for money sports tourer.

The magazines are hinting at a mid-2017 India launch.
Old 5th October 2016, 14:14   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Looks like Kawasaki is following the same design pattern that is started with ZX10R special edition then 300 which was launched in India last week and now the new 650 will also wear the same dress

Keeping all the technical jargon aside, I'm glad they are introducing the ABS in 2017 which is best part of the whole deal
And it looks all the more better for it.
With ABS and this tremendous weight reductions it's nigh on perfect.

I was expecting the KTM Duke 800 to be launched at Intermot, but not to be. Pleasantly surprised to see the Ninja though. Now eagerly waiting for the EICMA show.
Old 5th October 2016, 14:24   #618
Senior - BHPian

Looks very nice! The last iteration, which despite boasting of a potent engine and great cruising ability, looked as boring as an middle aged uncle. This one looks much much better, and is much lighter/sharper handling too.

That it will be launched in India, there is no doubt; will it come in colour options other than the Kawasaki jumbled up lime green-black-white-whatever, is a big one. i personally can do with a black.

Kawasaki - if you're listening, please launch the bike in more colors than KRT. India, for one, isn't obsessed with Kawasaki lime green

- A
Old 5th October 2016, 14:33   #619
Senior - BHPian

Green is the most recognized colour for Ninja brand! It looks amazing and is a magnet in crowd. If the bikes are getting launched in any other colour than black, it will be Kawasaki green. I don't remember seeing any other colour without combining it with green in Kawasaki bikes.

The 650 looks very sharp now, and looks to be a successor of the shapely N300.
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:35   #620
BHPian

Let me begin by saying that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this class of motorcycles. I have always been tempted by the Kawasaki Z800, but have no experience of driving anything more than a 150cc Pulsar for about 5 years. Now that bike weighed about 150kgs if I'm not wrong and it was manageable for me. I sold off the Pulsar about 2-3 years ago and have just a 4-wheeler now which I drive to work everyday.

However there is now an itch to drive a bike again, and this time, preferably a better and more powerful one than the Pulsar.

My height is 5'7" and I have a light build/frame. I would also need to have a pillion co-rider during my rides. For the kind of power that I was used to on the Pulsar, the Z800 seems just too heavy/overpowered for me to learn how to drive such a powerful machine. The seat height is also not suited for people below 5'9" it seems, from the reviews that I read on tBHP.
Was hence wondering how the 2017 Ninja 650 or the Z650 (which is the replacement to the ER-6n) would be to live with in my case? These two bikes are slated to come to India the next year, are they not?

After some research, came to know that the N650 is much lighter than it's predecessor and the Z650 even more so. Really love the looks of the 2016 N650 but the Z650 would also be lighter I guess without the body panels. The seat height is also a little lower, I guess.

Thinking out loud, all of these torque/bhp numbers and jargon feel super exciting for me, and I'm terribly tempted to go for one, but I have a fear of whether I would be able to handle this kind of weight in crazy Pune traffic - where the weight of the bike can be actually felt as opposed to the open road/highways.

Would really appreciate some advice from the experts here. Could not find a 'What Bike' section here, similar to the 'What Car' one.

All experienced bikers here: which one would be more suited for me a Ninja 650 or Z650 (2017 model) or anything else?
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:23   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post

All experienced bikers here: which one would be more suited for me a Ninja 650 or Z650 (2017 model) or anything else?
If you ride more on the highway part, take the Ninja. The fairing will be of some help.

If you ride more in the city and aren't going to frequent the highways, pick the Z.
Old 23rd November 2016, 02:35   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that bike weighed about 150kgs if I'm not wrong and it was manageable for me.
I had a Pulsar as well, but stopped riding that three years ago. My two wheeler experience has been limited to a scooter since then, that too occasionally when wife is not using it. Test drove most of these bikes recently, and booked the Versys 650. Trust me, most of these bikes are user friendly if you exercise caution with the right wrist. All hell brakes lose if you wring the throttle without respect only.

The Kawasaki bikes are a bit on the higher / heavier side considering your height though. I would suggest to look at the other options. If you like retro/ cruiser style - take a look at the Street Twin, Street 750 and the Scrambler. All of these bikes are easy to ride but pack quite a punch as well. Honda CBR 650F is also smaller and has an easy nature as well.
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:53   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Abhishekulkarni : Riding a motorcycle is exactly like swimming. If you learn it once that skill stays with you for a lifetime. You should need to hone that skill to improve it to make sure you can ride more powerful motorcycles

So in short, if you are considering a powerful motorcycle then please do but, please define your needs clearly before finalizing the purchase

1. Is it for only weekend rides?
2. Daily commute to office?
3. How much will you ride each month?
4. Long distance trips also planned?

Above are some of the basic questions that you need to define clearly before shortlisting what motorcycle will suit your need

Other simple way to buy a big bike is "I have taken a fancy to THAT motorcycle and let me just go buy it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Kawasaki bikes are a bit on the higher / heavier side considering your height though. I would suggest to look at the other options. If you like retro/ cruiser style - take a look at the Street Twin, Street 750 and the Scrambler. All of these bikes are easy to ride but pack quite a punch as well. Honda CBR 650F is also smaller and has an easy nature as well.
Out of all above motorcycles, I personally would not recommend the Street 750 and Scrambler. Perhaps the Street Twin might be the perfect bike for him considering his small build

Also, another recommendation is to please stay away from ER-6N (Or, Z650)
I dont understand the purpose of such motorcycles. Neither here nor there

If you really want something from Kawa stable then just buy the new Ninja 650. Period!

Also, I would recommend you to check out Ninja 300. It might help you learn and understand more for a couple of years about a slightly more powerful bike before you upgrade to anything above 600cc
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:29   #624
BHPian

The Triumph Street Triple would also do. 675 cc with 78 bhp but about 20-30 kgs less than the Ninja 650 if budget is not a constraint.

The Ninja 650 is considered to be a super beginner's bike but the weight has put me off in really putting my money on one. I am 5ft6 and about 65kgs and riding only a 110kg 110cc Shogun for the last 15 yrs.

The Street Triple would be my choice if I had the moolah.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:39   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of all above motorcycles, I personally would not recommend the Street 750 and Scrambler.
Any particular reason for not recommending Scrambler?
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:46   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
If you ride more on the highway part .... pick the Z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I had a Pulsar as well, but stopped riding that three years ago
All of these bikes are easy to ride but pack quite a punch as well. Honda CBR 650F is also smaller and has an easy nature as well.
Quote:
Abhishekulkarni : Riding a motorcycle is exactly like swimming. If you learn it once that skill stays with you for a lifetime.
Also, I would recommend you to check out Ninja 300. It might help you learn and understand more for a couple of years about a slightly more powerful bike before you upgrade to anything above 600cc
Thank you so much all for the prompt responses!

@Mobike008 (and others): as I wasn't sure whether this was the right thread to discuss this topic, had desisted from sharing my requirements in detail. Hence, before I respond to the points which you and the others have mentioned, let me pen down the requirements here so that the discussion can start.
  • Previous biking experience: Bajaj Pulsar 150 for about 5 years (sold off ~2 years ago)
  • Do I need a bike: No. Have an Activa being used by my better half which is available for errands/short weekend commutes.
  • Do I want a bike: an emphatic yes!
  • For what purpose?: for the thrill/excitement of driving one occasionally.
  • Is it for only weekend rides?: yes.
  • Daily commute to office?: no, would be traveling by car. but might drive the bike to office once/twice a week for a roundtrip journey of 55 km.
  • How much will you ride each month?: not more than 600-700 km. assuming a weekend round-trip of 300 km once a month (practically speaking).
  • Long distance trips also planned?: not sure as I haven't done any before, but if I join some good groups and have fun, may want to explore/experiment.
  • My height and body build: 5'7" with a light frame and corresponding BMI
  • My riding style: sedate in the city. steady on the highway, never exceeding highway speeds (80-90 kph). but within regulated highway speeds, punchy accelerations (read: 40-80, 50-90, 20 - 60 etc.). I think 650cc segment should be more than enough for me.
  • Expected characteristics from the bike:
    • excellent presence, should not look diminutive and feel invisible among other everyday bikes.
    • should look sporty, classy and elegant.
    • but not too loud either (read KTM styling).
    • should feel like the money I've spent is worth it.
    • should have excellent build quality.
    • seating position: should be comfortable/upright with minimal crouching required
    • performance wise, should have good mid-range punch and very relaxed cruising ability at highway speeds, without there being any vibrations or nervousness (like I used to feel on the Pulsar).
    • should have excellent stability at highway speeds (wrt. my driving style) and should be rock solid.
    • should have good brakes and braking behavior
    • could preferably sound good in this range, but not very loud either. it should just sing to me when i'm driving, do not intend the sound to be a head-turner in the traffic.
    • should be reliable and without a past history of technical problems which have not been solved by the company (if solved and present owners are satisfied then not an issue)
    • should be serviceable in Pune and preferably can buy from Pune dealership
  • Budget: <= 5-6 lacs OTR (but might stretch a little if the product pierces my heart).
  • By when do I want to shortlist and finalize bike/brand?: anytime within the next 4-8 months (considering time for test-drives, research and discussion happening over weekends)
  • By when do I want to commit to the purchase: by end-2017 / 2018
  • Why such a long timeline to commit?:
    • Do not have the required funds presently, and do not wish to avail bank finance.
    • Do not have access to a covered/dedicated parking spot, but will have in future.
    • Need to convince better half and family wrt. such huge spending for a two-wheeler.
I hope I have been able to express my needs/requirement adequately. Please ask me more questions in case I need to share additional thoughts on some areas.

Requesting all biker BHPians here for your help, advice and suggestions in going ahead and ending with, hopefully, what would be my first pseudo-super bike.

@Mods: please move this post to a separate thread if that would be appropriate.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 23rd November 2016 at 13:07.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:58   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Hence, before I respond to the points which you and the others have mentioned, let me pen down the requirements here so that the discussion can start.
An engineer somewhere in Japan committed suicide after reading that list

On a serious note, your requirements are very generic and something every Indian shopper wants and the only constraint I saw was the budget. Not too many options in the sub 8 lakh market. You can either save money and go for the upcoming new Duke 390 (does everything well except that its too common) or go for a bit more exclusivity by going into the 600s.

Since your requirements are more or less for an all-rounder bike, my money would be on the new Ninja 650. The Versys is a better bike but more touring oriented and doesnt look as flashy as a Green 650. I personally would pick the Japanese machines over the Benelli/Hyosung family for several reasons.

Can stretch a bit more? Look at the Street triple or the Z800 (z900 next year). But again, I dont think for your riding needs you need anything over a 600.

You also have the Harleys to look at but then I am not a fan of that genre and specially not of the made-to-a-budget Street 750.

Want my honest honest opinion? Bite the bullet, get the 2017 Duke 390, pimp it up aesthetically to your tastes and use it for a few years before you feel the need for an upgrade. Saving up for one wont take you much time either.

Cheers and good luck
narula123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:32   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
The Triumph Street Triple would also do. 675 cc with 78 bhp but about 20-30 kgs less than the Ninja 650 if budget is not a constraint.

The Ninja 650 is considered to be a super beginner's bike but the weight has put me off in really putting my money on one. I am 5ft6 and about 65kgs and riding only a 110kg 110cc Shogun for the last 15 yrs.

The Street Triple would be my choice if I had the moolah.
Street Tripple is a sweet machine but, I dont think will suit Abshishek's need. He is looking at a more sedate and relaxed bike with an upright position

Stripple is a bike that can be enjoyed if you like frantic riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Any particular reason for not recommending Scrambler?
Not one, there are several reasons NOT to choose a Scrambler

1. It's a flop bike so bad resale
2. It's a Ducati so spares and service cost will be sky high
3. It's slightly more eye catching than Street Twin. But, it will not stand out like the OP wants it too
4. It's a naked and similar to Kawasaki ER-6N and in comparison ER-6N is more VFM but, who is buying these bikes nowadays?
5. Scrambler costs nearly 9 lakhs. Come on, What were they thinking? For that matter, even the Street Twin is ridiculously priced

Quote:
  • Previous biking experience: Bajaj Pulsar 150 for about 5 years (sold off ~2 years ago)
  • Do I need a bike: No. Have an Activa being used by my better half which is available for errands/short weekend commutes.
  • Do I want a bike: an emphatic yes!
  • For what purpose?: for the thrill/excitement of driving one occasionally.
  • Is it for only weekend rides?: yes.
  • Daily commute to office?: no, would be traveling by car. but might drive the bike to office once/twice a week for a roundtrip journey of 55 km.
  • How much will you ride each month?: not more than 600-700 km. assuming a weekend round-trip of 300 km once a month (practically speaking).
  • Long distance trips also planned?: not sure as I haven't done any before, but if I join some good groups and have fun, may want to explore/experiment.
  • My height and body build: 5'7" with a light frame and corresponding BMI
  • My riding style: sedate in the city. steady on the highway, never exceeding highway speeds (80-90 kph). but within regulated highway speeds, punchy accelerations (read: 40-80, 50-90, 20 - 60 etc.). I think 650cc segment should be more than enough for me.
  • Expected characteristics from the bike:
    • excellent presence, should not look diminutive and feel invisible among other everyday bikes.
    • should look sporty, classy and elegant.
    • but not too loud either (read KTM styling).
    • should feel like the money I've spent is worth it.
    • should have excellent build quality.
    • seating position: should be comfortable/upright with minimal crouching required
    • performance wise, should have good mid-range punch and very relaxed cruising ability at highway speeds, without there being any vibrations or nervousness (like I used to feel on the Pulsar).
    • should have excellent stability at highway speeds (wrt. my driving style) and should be rock solid.
    • should have good brakes and braking behavior
    • could preferably sound good in this range, but not very loud either. it should just sing to me when i'm driving, do not intend the sound to be a head-turner in the traffic.
    • should be reliable and without a past history of technical problems which have not been solved by the company (if solved and present owners are satisfied then not an issue)
    • should be serviceable in Pune and preferably can buy from Pune dealership
  • Budget: <= 5-6 lacs OTR (but might stretch a little if the product pierces my heart).
  • By when do I want to shortlist and finalize bike/brand?: anytime within the next 4-8 months (considering time for test-drives, research and discussion happening over weekends)
  • By when do I want to commit to the purchase: by end-2017 / 2018
  • Why such a long timeline to commit?:
    • Do not have the required funds presently, and do not wish to avail bank finance.
    • Do not have access to a covered/dedicated parking spot, but will have in future.
    • Need to convince better half and family wrt. such huge spending for a two-wheeler.
Oh! So you are 1 year away from purchasing a motorcycle. So this discussion now becomes little pale as many motorcycle launches will happen in 2017/2018

But, going by the exhuastive list that you have put down. I can see only one bike that will suit you perfectly and that brings me to the point that you have posted your query in the right thread

Ninja 650 2017 Model

1. Great Looks : Check
2. ABS/Safety : Check
3. Relaxed Cruising Posture : Check
4. Good for long distance riding : Check
5. Smooth and Reliable Engine : Check
6. Weight : Well this is something you will have to decide for yourself

I would recommend you to rent Ninja 650 from some rental companies over weekend and try them out gingerly a few times. So without plonking 6 lakhs, you can know for sure in a few thousand rupees if you have an appetite for this motorcycle.

It will give you a sense that whether you can manage a bike of this large proportions and will help you take a informed decision when you are ready in 2017

Mind you, when you ride the rental Ninja 650 just keep in mind that 2017 model will be a way better machine so judge accordingly

Cheers & Goodluck !!!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd November 2016 at 16:42.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 14:31   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
On a serious note, your requirements are very generic and something every Indian shopper wants and the only constraint I saw was the budget.

Can stretch a bit more? Look at the Street triple or the Z800 (z900 next year). But again, I dont think for your riding needs you need anything over a 600.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Yes, my requirements aren't well defined. That's primarily because I don't know precisely what kind of bike I want. I've been a 'car guy' throughout my life. The only reason I rode a Pulsar for 5 years was because I couldn't afford to buy the car of my liking during that period.

Hence have started the process of exploring, and have therefore given myself a couple of years time to decide/buy the bike. Hoping to learn as much as possible in the mean-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Since your requirements are more or less for an all-rounder bike, my money would be on the new Ninja 650.
Quote:
Oh! So you are 1 year away from purchasing a motorcycle. So this discussion now becomes little pale as many motorcycle launches will happen in 2017/2018

But, going by the exhuastive list that you have put down. I can see only one bike that will suit you perfectly and that brings me to the point that you have posted your query in the right thread

Ninja 650 2017 Model

1. Great Looks : Check
2. ABS/Safety : Check
3. Relaxed Cruising Posture : Check
4. Good for long distance riding : Check
5. Smooth and Reliable Engine : Check
6. Weight : Well this is something you will have to decide for yourself
Yes, I feel that the Ninja 650 is a good bike for me to invest in, even though it may not necessarily be a beginner-friendly bike. Primarily because they have reduced the seating height to 790 mm in the 2017 model (my Pulsar was at 785 mm) along with a significant weight reduction of 19kg. And being a 650cc category it would also keep me satisfied for a longer duration, maybe 5-6 years.
I wouldn't prefer to invest in a 300cc category to get accustomed to more power than my ertswhile Pulsar (although that does feel like the more prudent option) and then grow out of it in a couple of years and have to take a depreciation hit only to buy a 650cc bike.

Also, I know for a fact that retro styling/cruisers aren't my type and that narrows down the options by a fair bit considering my budget. Which also brings me to the N650 '17.

Due to my long timeline it may not be possible to have any constructive discussion to happen on this subject, however I will keep sharing my experiences as I visit show-rooms and take test-drives. Can learn from the feedback received from experts like yourself and narula123 in arriving at the right decision.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 24th November 2016 at 14:33.
Old 1st May 2017, 13:18   #630
BHPian

So I have been recently been bitten by the bike bug though I have not ridden one for the last 10 years.
My requirements are straight forward
1. For use only for long drives. I don't really plan to use it in the city. Maybe very occasionally
2. Long drives are probably once a couple of weeks to a month (average 300 to 600 round trip, sometimes longer)
3. Will probably have a pillion most of the times and need to be able to carry luggage for a couple of days trip. Pillion comfort is very important
4. Minimal to no off roading I would think
5. Safety very important (so ABS for example is a no brainer)
6. Comfort very important again for long drives (spoiled rotten today with good cars)
7. I am not really going to drive tearaway speeds anytime soon.Relaxed motoring is more my need
8. Prefer upright driving position.
9. Don't need to bench the bike for a month waiting for spares in case of problems
10. I am a big guy so bike weight is not an issue(6ft, pushing 90+) and my potential pillions are also going to be relatively big friends/family
11. Happy to replace seats in Ninja if it means better pillion ride

I am down to 3 bikes now
1. Ninja 650 (2017)
2. HD Street Rod
3. Triumph T100

Any initial thoughts on the 3 and if there is any other choice I should look at would be really welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by srivibhu : 1st May 2017 at 13:36. Reason: Additional information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks