Team-BHP - Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/102530-kawasaki-ninja-650r-test-ride-review-9.html)

Great job Bblost, :thumbs up

This is one of the best reviews I have come across on any of the forums. Beautiful pics and amazing information for all to refer to.
This certainly seems to be a job which would give some in the automag markets a run for their money. :D

On a different note, the 2 wheeler markets seems to be heating up at a volcanic speed. I am hoping by the end of 2011 we might have more than a couple of machines making it into the market to give the premium bike fanatics a lot more options in the mid-segment (600cc) to choose from.

Thanks again, for the great write-up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGK (Post 2385269)
Hyosung ST7 , Aprilia Tuono & RSV4, Yamaha VMAX, MT01 are more powered than Ninja 650R presently.

Hyosung faster than Ninja 650R??? Doubt it mate

Nice review. 5*

The bike opens a new segment as none of the other companies had fully faired sports tourer. Its a mile cruncher dream with low wind resistance than a naked bike. Hyosung ST and to an extent even HD will have some sleepless night as to India is obsessed with faired bikes. ER-6F has already proved its worth worldwide and now it is Indians to relish the beast.

Golden Era of motorbiking begins :)

and IMHO Hyosung is not faster at 57BHP/57Nm to Ninja's 71BHP/66Nm (as per reviews it has great relaxed power band).

Great review.
I saw the Hyosung a few years back when they were marketing it in the US. Two of my friends had a chance to ride it on the track and they said it was not bad. It looked fairly cheap - but it was next to a bunch of nice bikes like 998 Bayliss, RSV Mille, etc. SV650 owners would never consider it an alternative.

Interestingly, Hyosung has USD forks unlike the SV and 650R that have retained conventional forks [this is a step up - but cannot speak of quality and adjustability]

[Also, the RSV4, VMAX, Tuono, etc are in completely different leagues - would be a moot comparison]

Krishna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn1p3r (Post 2385088)
Yamaha's 600 is up for renewal and Honda will think twice about CBR 600.

Check out the new Honda CBR 600F. Its a great bike and IMO is the ideal performance bike for the Indian roads. But then again, I doubt if Honda can match Bajaj's pricing in this segment.

4.57 lakh wow!!!!! How much is the on-road price in Pune guys??? I have started a Ninja 650R piggy bank!!!

Pretty outstanding review as expected. Sure is value for money at sub 5 lac pricing. I just hope this reduces the pricing of the 250R to sub 2.5 atleast ( I mean, people would definitely not mind pitching in another 1.4 lacs and getting a bike belonging to a different class altogether).

Btw, what is the top whack of this bike?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels (Post 2385653)
Pretty outstanding review as expected. Sure is value for money at sub 5 lac pricing. I just hope this reduces the pricing of the 250R to sub 2.5 atleast ( I mean, people would definitely not mind pitching in another 1.4 lacs and getting a bike belonging to a different class altogether).

Btw, what is the top whack of this bike?

Top whack is in the region of 210-220Km\hr:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by narula123 (Post 2385547)
Check out the new Honda CBR 600F. Its a great bike and IMO is the ideal performance bike for the Indian roads. But then again, I doubt if Honda can match Bajaj's pricing in this segment.

They don't need to. The clientèle for an I-4, clip on, full faired Motorcycle will be different than this. Though the lower they price it, the better :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikefreak (Post 2385109)
Sounds so much like me :D
After having owned a cbr 600, 2 954s and a R1 in last 5 years, I was looking for a 'relatively' sedate bike, and the 650r fits the bill perfectly.
I only wish it was Red to go with all my riding gear :)

So my assumption was almost spot on :)

BTW didn't know about 2nd 954.

@BB - How does the bike react to broken sections on road? Had you backed off before tackling them? (Not potholes, but irregularities)

For eg, I back off when I am on R15, but fly over them in the FZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2385834)
They don't need to. The clientèle for an I-4, clip on, full faired Motorcycle will be different than this. Though the lower they price it, the better :)

So my assumption was almost spot on :)

BTW didn't know about 2nd 954.

@BB - How does the bike react to broken sections on road? Had you backed off before tackling them? (Not potholes, but irregularities)

For eg, I back off when I am on R15, but fly over them in the FZ.

Upright sitting position. Heavy bike. Lovely Torque. :)
No slowing down on irregularities of the road.

Pretty much what I do when riding my Enfield. Glide over them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 2385320)
My 2009 650R had bridestone battlaxs and they were crap compared to the Michelin Pilots. They lacked in grip and developed awkward bulges even though I took great care of them. I am not aware of the new Battlax, but every person I have spoken to have confirmed that Battlaxs are not good tires. But strangely Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes come with Bridgestones from the factory. I am not aware of the other companies.

sir , now you are comparing Michelin Pilots to Battalax which actually is a wrong comparison .

The comaprison should made between the tires like Pirelli Diablo with Michelin .

There is something amiss- in 1994, as a student in the US, I had a used Kawasaki Ninja 600R, (possibly called the GPz elsewhere) built in 1986-87 bike, inline-4, cyl 4 carburetor with a Vance and Hines pipe that put out almost 70BHP, and then when I left the US, the latest on the block was the CBR 600 F4 which had the following.
Power: 110.00 HP (80.3 kW)) @ 12500 RPM
Torque: 68.00 Nm (6.9 kgf-m or 50.2 ft.lbs) @ 10500 RPM
Top speed: 260.0 km/h (161.6 mph)

Now after 11 years, we have 50cc more and all else less?

Why do they treat India like this?

Nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leepower (Post 2385612)
4.57 lakh wow!!!!! How much is the on-road price in Pune guys??? I have started a Ninja 650R piggy bank!!!

THUMB RULE

Thumb rule is +10% for Ins +regn.

That makes it 4.57+0.45. = 5.02L

In Mumbai the thumb rule is
4.57+Octroi 4.5% = about 4.78
then +10% ins and regn.

Now till someone goes to the local dealer and gets the invoice value, this is what your piggy bank should be able to store.
and your floor should be able to take the weight:
602Kg of Rs. 5 coins.

clap:

Immi good job properly done. With rejoinders from GTO & Staratos this review covers all corners.

Change your profession man become one of those Auto Car type journos.

On a serious note, after a very long time found such a square review. I had seen a 250 Ninja yesterday. Today I read the review for the 650. Lets see when it lands in Kolkata. Will surely take a test ride.

Keep the good work going.

Kaushik

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil (Post 2385928)
There is something amiss- in 1994, as a student in the US, I had a used Kawasaki Ninja 600R, (possibly called the GPz elsewhere) built in 1986-87 bike, inline-4, cyl 4 carburetor with a Vance and Hines pipe that put out almost 70BHP, and then when I left the US, the latest on the block was the CBR 600 F4 which had the following.
Power: 110.00 HP (80.3 kW)) @ 12500 RPM
Torque: 68.00 Nm (6.9 kgf-m or 50.2 ft.lbs) @ 10500 RPM
Top speed: 260.0 km/h (161.6 mph)

Now after 11 years, we have 50cc more and all else less?

Why do they treat India like this?

Nonsense.

You are speaking about Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R.
ZX-6R and Ninja 650R/ER-6f are bikes which are chalk & cheese.

The ZX-6R betters GPZ's performance.