Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 12:42   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- If the Ninja gave us 17 kpl on the highway, city average is what....12? 14? That's equivalent to a Maruti Swift. Would petrol prices be a deal killer for any potential customers? Or does this class of customer not bother about kpl?

Thanks
If they really do bother about the kmpl, why buy such a class of bike anyway? There are better options available lower down the price range.

If you compare pricing and kmpl, the mighty R1s/ Busa's/ Fireblades of the world would match a Honda Civic! About 12L OTR and 7-8 kmpl average. But does that make them equivalent to a Civic?
Old 9th June 2011, 13:15   #107
BHPian

Excellent review guys....and of course brilliant pics...

though I feel kawasaki should have swapped the designs of the 250R and the 650R...the current 650R though has lot many features and advancements, but standing side-by-side, a 250R would definitely attract anyone's first gaze...
Old 9th June 2011, 14:17   #108
BHPian

Met the Probiking staff here at Dehradun and boy what fun it was. I knew more than them about the bike and they hardly had any info other than the color and the price. They were even shocked to find out that the road-test reviews of the bike were already on the net (What did they expect anyways?). Infact I knew the ex-showroom price in Delhi and they didn't. Even for small details like the power output the fellow had to run back and refer to the brochure. Not the sort of sales staff I wanna interact with when putting down about five big suitcases for a performance bike.

Anyways, it costs Rs 4,71,185 OTR Dehradun and currently there are no finance options available. Well too bad, cause I will book mine only if I can get the amount financed. So fingers crossed.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:39   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Saree guard for complying with Indian regulations?
I just love this bike so much, I came back to look at the pics again and my eyes locked on to the above line.

A saree guard on a 650 Ninja? Are they actually planning to put one on?Sacrilage my good sir. Please tell me you were kidding.

Old 9th June 2011, 14:59   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
How twitchy is the handling at triple digit speeds?

Comments on straight line stability when encountering minor bumps and potholes?

Tendency to fishtail under heavy rear braking?
I did fishtail just once, when I was stuck in second gear trying to goto third. All I had to do was straighten up and not panic. The bike steadied herself.

One heavy braking when a truck cut in front. The bike held its ground. But this was on a dry road with no gravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post

How does the bike behave on sharp corners in terms of handling? Would a knee scraping Sunday on the ghats be a possibility or is it too high and upright for such antics?
Its a little high. But you should be able to do the knee scrapping thing without much issue.
In fact I found her gripping the corner better at 90 than at 40kmph.

However it will take a little getting used to. Its a heavy bike.

I kind of felt that at high rpm, lower gear. Like 6k on third. The bike felt much easier to handle and more responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Moreover, there's a grammar mistake in the writing on the mirror: "Object in the mirror are closer than they appear"
Sharp eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
BBlost, Stratos and GTO: Thanks for a great review.

BBlost: 6 hours and 200km on this great machine! I am as green as the Ninja with envy!
Well, it was 9 hours and 300 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Wont premium help? I felt stronger mid range and pickup when I used premium of my Avenger.
Higher octane would help. But premium fuel like Speed etc, with god knows what it has, I would avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I just love this bike so much, I came back to look at the pics again and my eyes locked on to the above line.

A saree guard on a 650 Ninja? Are they actually planning to put one on?Sacrilage my good sir. Please tell me you were kidding.

Govt Regulations. But whatever it is, it will be easy to remove and hide away.

Last edited by bblost : 9th June 2011 at 15:01.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:05   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
currently there are no finance options available. Well too bad, cause I will book mine only if I can get the amount financed. So fingers crossed.
Why dont you approach any of the nationalized banks such as SBI, Bank of India, etc.

Bank of India has a loan scheme called Star Autofin.

From their website "Maximum amount of loan is Rs. 25 lacs, depending upon cost of vehicle & income of proponent, at attractive rate of interest and easy repayment plan".

All the best.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 15:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

From their website "Maximum amount of loan is Rs. 25 lacs, depending upon cost of vehicle & income of proponent, at attractive rate of interest and easy repayment plan".

All the best.
You are tempting me. I am sure this will bring a huge grin to my face, but I will have to take a loan and I hate loans!
Old 9th June 2011, 15:18   #113
BHPian

Just got off the line with the Probiking guys here and they confirmed that since am the first customer to book the bike in Mumbai i have a chance of getting the bike by 1st week of July.

I thought thats long but will have to wait especially after reading the fantastic review.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

The golden era in Indian motorbikes I should say.

Bajaj will reap the benefit of being the early bird. Yamaha's 600 is up for renewal and Honda will think twice about CBR 600. Suzuki is mysteriously missing the action. I think NH8 Sunday early mornings gonna get really busy soon
Old 9th June 2011, 16:51   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes. Mature, grown up guys who have had their fill of screaming I-4's or the ones who are more practical in their approach.
Sounds so much like me
After having owned a cbr 600, 2 954s and a R1 in last 5 years, I was looking for a 'relatively' sedate bike, and the 650r fits the bill perfectly.
I only wish it was Red to go with all my riding gear

Last edited by bikefreak : 9th June 2011 at 16:54.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:15   #116
BHPian

@bblost: since you've mentioned in your review that its a comfy tourer as well as city ride, how 'bout comparing it with the Superlow from HD which is priced almost within the bracket and has a higher spec engine. Keeping aside the low GC factor.

On the face of it, looks like they're targeting the Hyosung, but can it be framed head-on with the HD range of entry-tourers in our price conscious market.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:54   #117
Senior - BHPian

AltoHoncho,
HD & Kwacker are chalk and cheese, whilst the power figures (BHP/Torque) look the same HD is more targeted towards touring whilst Kwacker is essentially for a jack of all trades.
My opinion when it comes to motorcycles this (Ninja) is an ideal step through for people from RD's, 220's, 250's through to inline beasts before they retire with a cruiser. Having said that, HD is trying hard to target younger audience with their line of dark custom bikes (Iron 883, 48, Nightster).
Old 9th June 2011, 17:56   #118
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review there. Hearty thanks to bblost, GTO & Stratos! You people rock.

Coming to the bike, I am just shell shocked that Bajaj has launched it at this price. I mean, look at even the Ninja 250R. That was way high-priced and I was expecting the same to happen here, but Bajaj has pulled out a miracle here.

Hyosung, what Hyosung? Are people gonna look at the GT650R with the Ninja 650R being so cheaper? I bet no.

Bajaj is back at what it does best always - offer terrific VFM and a segment starter for sure!
Old 9th June 2011, 18:58   #119
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod : You have way too many spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other members / guests.

You are hereby instructed to proof-read your posts prior to hitting the "submit" button. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2011 at 21:28.
RGK is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th June 2011, 19:49   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
bridgestone battlax are crap ??

i don't agree to this at all
My 2009 650R had bridestone battlaxs and they were crap compared to the Michelin Pilots. They lacked in grip and developed awkward bulges even though I took great care of them. I am not aware of the new Battlax, but every person I have spoken to have confirmed that Battlaxs are not good tires. But strangely Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes come with Bridgestones from the factory. I am not aware of the other companies.

Most Viewed