Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 13:58   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivibhu View Post

Any initial thoughts on the 3 and if there is any other choice I should look at would be really welcome.

Thanks
No Tiger, Versys in the list? I thought they would be serious contenders in this category.
Old 1st May 2017, 14:31   #632
BHPian

Abhishek and Srivibhu. As a long termer of the 2012 Ninja 650 and looking at the current scenario I regret to say that Kawasaki is nowhere without Bajaj support. I had a just about okay experience with Probiking service and a completely worse experience with Kawasaki service.

I no longer recommend a Kawasaki in India as I have lost all patience along with many others who sail the same boat of complaints of spares and service so much so that my bike is up for sale on team-bhp. With your requirements I would strongly suggest that you go for other brands be it Harley or Triumph.

Service and spares is a crucial factor and god forbid something goes wrong, you will regret owning a Kawasaki. Not that the others are up there but they fare better when it comes to customer satisfaction.

My next ride will be a Street Rod for sure.
lionell is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 14:46   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
No Tiger, Versys in the list? I thought they would be serious contenders in this category.
Versys : was a serious contender until Ninja 650 2017 which now has ABS. Didn't feel the Versys premium was worth it. Well I still have to drive the 2017 Ninja and see

Tiger: out of my budget!

This whole thing started with me always wanting to own a HD, until i realised that the Street was the only low budget option. I can probably look at Iron too, but general feedback on ride quality was not all that encouraging
Old 9th May 2017, 13:35   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivibhu View Post
Versys : was a serious contender until Ninja 650 2017 which now has ABS. Didn't feel the Versys premium was worth it. Well I still have to drive the 2017 Ninja and see

Tiger: out of my budget!

This whole thing started with me always wanting to own a HD, until i realised that the Street was the only low budget option. I can probably look at Iron too, but general feedback on ride quality was not all that encouraging
I would recommend the Versys 650 over the Ninja 650.

1. Because you mentioned you and pillion will be large sized, the Versys is sprung higher with far better ground clearance than the Ninja.
2. The Ninja 650 pillion seat is not as comfortable as the Versys. The 2017 Ninja has gone back being a sporty ride, while the Versys is a trusted tourer with brilliant off-road capabilities; which you may not require but makes a far more comfortable and confident ride on bad roads.

You are based out of Bangalore and that city boasts of the best service standards for Kawasaki.
My advice is ride both back to back, you will not go for the Ninja if you are a big guy.

Enjoy your ride!
mandheers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 07:55   #635
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if it's been posted before or if it's the right thread, but here goes.

Long term ownership review of the 650 by bhpian wolfy
Old 10th June 2017, 12:02   #636

After going through the entire post, i have come to realize that i am in the same dilemma, as Srivibhu, from past few months i have been test driving and reading reviews. Hope Srivibhu you are able to make your decision and post it.
Old 10th June 2017, 17:57   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarvarun172 View Post
After going through the entire post, i have come to realize that i am in the same dilemma, as Srivibhu, from past few months i have been test driving and reading reviews. Hope Srivibhu you are able to make your decision and post it.
NO doubt that the new 2017 N650 is better than the previous gen, but Versys is lot better than N650 any day.

Versys gets SHOWA shock, the seats are better and Ground clearance is lot better than N650. N650 will hit all the speed breakers whereas Versys will just glide over it.Test ride both and you will know the difference.
kailashnj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 14:19   #638
BHPian

Does anyone use the Versys 650 or N650 as a daily commuter? If yes, can you pls list out the pros/cons of riding one in the city? Thanks.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:41   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Does anyone use the Versys 650 or N650 as a daily commuter? If yes, can you pls list out the pros/cons of riding one in the city? Thanks.
Currently I am using my Versys 650 for daily commute as well as touring.

Pros:
1) Comfortable and plush ride (everyone knows Bangalore roads)
2) Good to have power on tap for easy and safe overtaking.
3) Pillion comfort.
4) Bonus - Attention magnet (I have the green V :P) so cars usually give way after seeing the bike in the RVMs.

Cons:
1) Heavy clutch
2) Too much bodywork to be careful of.
3) B2B traffic can be a pain if the rider isn't able to plant his feet properly on the ground.
4) Can't squeeze between gaps so need to keep riding like a small hatchback (unless the rider is reckless).
5) Chain sprocket life will reduce due to the dusty conditions.
6) Tire life will also take a hit due to bad roads.

I will soon be keeping the V aside only for touring needs as it's not practical to use such a bike for commutes.
atul.ktm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 22:29   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.ktm View Post
Currently I am using my Versys 650 for daily commute as well as touring.
Agree to the points mentioned here for the CONS. Though I would like to say it that with more power you have more responsibilities.

Last edited by ampere : 19th June 2017 at 20:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 14th June 2017, 05:57   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Agree to the points mentioned here for the CONS. Though I would like to say it that with more power you have more responsibilities.
Definitely, forget Versys, a bike like Duke 200 in the wrong hands can prove deadly.

I always advice people to wear proper riding gear and ride sanely even while commuting within the city!
Old 19th June 2017, 01:25   #642

well I finally went for the test ride of the new Ninja 650 2017 model. The showroom has been newly opened, it was spacious and I was cordially greeted by a single person. He instantly arranged a test ride for me.
The ride was awesome, you just cannot imagine the power this machine has in the mid range, it just loves to red line. Smooth and insane acceleration will bring a grin to your face. Braking was also great, it has the required power to haul this bike to a stop, abs kicks in just at the proper time, in fact it was so good that couple of times I had to look back. Everything from fit and finish to colour is great.
They guy has given an on road price of Rs 6.20lacs on road delhi. They have tie up with HDFC bank but the guy at the counter could not tell me about it, as he became busy with the delivery of another bike.(yes, single guy to handle the customers and to give deliveries)

Problem might be of service, as the place is almost 70km away from my home.

Went with my wife who was floored just by the looks of the bike. Pillion riding with wify was also great.
Only problem was, when I got off the bike my wrist were paining a bit. I am a short rider 5,7 and the riding position I must say is not aggressive but, you sit in ever so slightly slung towards the handle bars. This could be one of the reason.

Also I could not put my feet firmly to the ground as you can do with low slung cruisers( it gives me immense confidence when my feet are firmly put of the ground)

Over all the bike is awesome, well built.

Next stop. Harley Davidson Red Fort

So I also visited the Harley showroom in Mayapuri ( Red Fort) to test drive their HD 750. There was cricket match going on on a big LCD and the guy asked me and my wife to enjoy the match over a bottle of chilled cold drink while he arranged for Test drive, now this is some service

Just sit on the HD and you come to realize how low the bike actually is compared to Ninja( obviously it is a cruiser) with your feet on the ground you feel well planted and ready to tear the road. I will keep this short, the bike felt slower as i had just driven the Ninja but I felt much better at changing lanes and diving in and out of traffic. The suspension was better and the brakes now with ABS worked in harmony to slow the beast down in a confidence inspiring manner. I was able to push the bike.

One another thing which is spot on is heat management, Ninja engineers has done it wonderfully better, you don't feel it. While on a Harley the moment you stop it at a signal your jeans will start burning.

(Oops forgot the wifey) her reaction on seeing the HD 750 was like, how small this thing is!) she was with me as the pillion rider for the entire duration. But due to the absence of any back rest she was not comfortable with this machine.
The service is manageable as the place is around 40km from my home.
Regarding cost this one will burn a hole of Rs. 5.60lacs, loans from HDFC is available, a dedicated person was available here to help me with this. Apart front this you will have to buy a back rest( costing a whopping 33k ) and a exhaust of the same amount ( Harley will simply put its hand deep into your pockets to make you shell out your last penny) so the cost comes to be the same
Rs. 6.20.

In the area of fit and finish you cannot beat the Kawasaki. But the comfortable riding position of Harley has caught me.

And finally after a day full of search and adventure I am unable to decide which one to buy ??

Please senior Bhpians and experienced riders help me make a choice.

Note from Mod : Only 2 smileys per post. Please read the rules of the forum before proceeding to write your next post. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th June 2017 at 09:10.
Old 19th June 2017, 17:36   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarvarun172 View Post
Please senior Bhpians and experienced riders help me make a choice.
Between a Kawasaki Ninja 650 and Harley Street 750?

That's quite a unconventional quandary I must confess

Both are from reputed brands and are fairly reliable as both have seen the test of times and will most certainly be enjoyable to own and ride

In such scenarios, you should let the heart rule over the mind

Good luck !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 20:21   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Between a Kawasaki Ninja 650 and Harley Street 750?

That's quite a unconventional quandary I must confess

Both are from reputed brands and are fairly reliable as both have seen the test of times and will most certainly be enjoyable to own and ride

In such scenarios, you should let the heart rule over the mind

Good luck !!!
to being unconventional, although Ninja 650 has a proven track record but their recent divorce with Bajaj has pushed them back. After visiting their Showroom it felt that, they will take time to pull themselves back together and reclaim the comfortable position they had, in terms of servicing and after sales.

On the other hand Harley Davidson is in a much better comfortable position with respect to its after sales and services, it also has to improve but at this moment, they enjoy a better position.

Any fellow bhpian who would like to counter my noting is welcome to do so albeit with proper examples.

"The post will not die until i make my buy"

thanks.
Old 19th June 2017, 20:25   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the biggest drawback would be your feet not touching the ground as per your desire, the ride position you will adjust fairly quickly.

Service is a downer on Kawasaki, but i i had a choice and the money, i would have got the Kawasaki over the street.

BTW did you test drive the street rod or the street, i think rod is probably expensive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks