Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 09:54   #1171
BHPian

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Congratulations Pramod! Could you elaborate more on the RTO issue? Looking forward to your review of the bike.
The problem is the with the Type Approval interpretation by RTO here at Nagpur, they are not aware of the DGFT( Director general of Foreign Trade) notification on import policy of motorcycle above 800cc and I believe neither is the dealer, there is Form 22 that is issued by manufacture while the current Form 22 is issued by Triumph India which is not a manufacture of assembler for Tiger Explorer they are importer, so in RTO term they cannot issue Form 22. The DGFT notification mentions the exemption for bikes over 800cc which nobody is talking about, I have taken the print out and have attached that to the document list with section highlighted but have not be entertained by RTO yet, they just talk to Dealer guys who are not aware of this and then the discussion goes other way. If you provide Form 22 then ARAI certification is required but import are exempted (with certain certification from EU which this bike carries ) and are valid for India.

Unless they look into these document, I don't think this impasse is going away soon. I need to get to a point where they would listen.

The problem with these guys are "they only know the rule and no body can tell them anything that they are not aware of" attitude. Hope somebody finds the time to read the FDGT and Gazette notification I have attached.
Just for reference for others here are the url link for these document.

Gazette notification for Public
http://164.100.9.245/exim/2000/not/not07/not6207.htm

Vehicle Import Policy
http://dgftcom.nic.in/licasp/itchs2012/87foot.pdf

ARAI FAQ

https://www.araiindia.com/faqs.asp

If you browse through the ARAI FAQ near the end they have mentioned about the DGFT exemptions.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 11:24   #1172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Harley Davidson Fat Bob or Triumph Thunderbird Storm?
While Sreejith has provided detailed inputs. I would like to add my thoughts on a Triumph Thunderbird (TT) which I rode very briefly (maybe 2kms or so). Never rode a Fat Bob in my life....

TT feels like a real plush machine and has immense torque. It has a lovely cruising posture too and has good road presence ( But, I think Fat Bob will beat Thunderbird on this account) and other things you will notice immediately is the ride which is plush and comfortable and has quitenessential Triumph trademark---Smooth engine with no vibrations.

Though its not the right comparison, I met an elderly gentleman (50+) who was riding an Iron 883 and he traded that for a Triumph Thunderbird and quoting his exact words "Feels like moving from driving a truck to a Merc-E Class"

In my personal opinion, best way to decide would be to always ride both bikes back-to-back ( within an hour's difference) it will immediately dawn on you which is the bike you can live with for a long time

Cheers & Goodluck !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 20:51   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
While Sreejith has provided detailed inputs. I would like to add my thoughts on a Triumph Thunderbird (TT) which I rode very briefly (maybe 2kms or so). Never rode a Fat Bob in my life....
I dont think the comparison is right as he is comparing a roadster with a cruiser (dyna or softtail) category bike. The ideal comparison for storm is either a Fat Bob or Fat Boy. I guess the fat boy would have been real comfortable.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th August 2014 at 08:37. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply
Old 8th August 2014, 08:40   #1174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
I dont think the comparison is right as he is comparing a roadster with a cruiser (dyna or softtail) category bike. The ideal comparison for storm is either a Fat Bob or Fat Boy. I guess the fat boy would have been real comfortable.
Quote:
Though its not the right comparison, I met an elderly gentleman (50+) who was riding an Iron 883 and he traded that for a Triumph Thunderbird and quoting his exact words "Feels like moving from driving a truck to a Merc-E Class"
I did mention thats not a right comparison if you read my post above. However, the fact remains that each and every model of Triumph will be much more comfortable than the Harley

So it's for a buyer to decide if he prefers "brand loyalty???" or "riding pleasure"
Old 12th August 2014, 20:35   #1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Its only in India that HD is continuing with 96 motor in Dyna maybe 2015 Model Year can get 103 .
Am in the exact same boat. I was very impressed with the fat bob when I saw it in the showroom. After returning, I saw that the India version is 96cu.in. Wrote to the MD of HD India and got a call back next morning from their "Customer Experience" leader. He gave me some gyan about HD trying to keep the costs down for their customers (which is basically BS). My analysis shows that if they put in a 103 cu.in engine, the additional cost should not be more than 30-35K.
Also, he gave me some gyan that homologation needs to be done and costs more - again, more BS. If you look at the Harley websites of other countries, this TC96 engine on fat bob is sold only in India, Taiwan and Thailand.

Either HD has a warehouse full of TC96 engines that they desperately need to sell or (IMHO, more likely), HD India is worried about cannibalization of Fat BOY sales by Fat BOB.

Hopefully, they will change the 2015 model to be TC103. We should know in the next 15-20 days. Newer models should be announced in the US by then and hopefully, even HD India will follow suit.

All said and done, if HD doesn't change this, the Thunderbird Storm is really a better alternative.
DeepTrouble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 22:21   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
I did mention thats not a right comparison if you read my post above. However, the fact remains that each and every model of Triumph will be much more comfortable than the Harley

So it's for a buyer to decide if he prefers "brand loyalty???" or "riding pleasure"
I can only say that you are too fascinated towards your Triumph and very loyal to the brand. For me Indian is also a good option.

For the those of you who have ridden both Harley Fat Boy and Triumph most of them will lean towards Fat boy unless and until you want to compromise on the cost and save couple of lakhs by taking storm.

End of the day it is an individual choice. For me I never liked Bonneville to my liking and there are others who absolutely love it and are gaga about it.

End of the day it is the ride that makes you smile and comfortable that matters then repenting after buying one. So always take multiple test rides and then decide.
Dust_Harl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 13:35   #1177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I can only say that you are too fascinated towards your Triumph and very loyal to the brand. For me Indian is also a good option.
Ofcourse, Being an owner, Iam fascinated with Triumph as a brand and their products because each and every product ( rode all except a Rocket and Daytona) are amazing pieces of machinery.

Would you rather fascination should be reserved only for Harley brand?

Quote:
For the those of you who have ridden both Harley Fat Boy and Triumph most of them will lean towards Fat boy unless and until you want to compromise on the cost and save couple of lakhs by taking storm.
On what basis are you saying that people who have ridden both (Fat Boy & T-Bird Storm) will lean more towards Fatboy? Does it ride better or because its a Harley?

Have you ridden either of them? I have not ridden the Fatboy but, have ridden the Storm so iam quite aware of how it rides

I did specifically mention Fatboy looks great and quality feels a tad bit better than Storm but, how it rides? I cannot comment as I have never ridden it

Quote:
End of the day it is an individual choice. For me I never liked Bonneville to my liking and there are others who absolutely love it and are gaga about it.
Completely agree with you about bikes or for that matter any product purchase is purely an individual choice

Have you ever ridden a Bonnie? You dont like it just because it doesnt look like a Harley or because its too simple looking for your liking?

It would be great if you can ride one and then put your perspective here. Would be interesting !!

Otherwise, it will be like, I hate the Superlow because it looks like an "Bajaj Avenger" which is not the right way to guage a bike

As you maybe aware, I rode the Iron 883 and then bought the Bonnie because its a superior bike in EVERY parameter. And, I beileve in calling a spade a spade and is by no means disrespect to any brand/bike/individual

Iam waiting for that day when a member comes forward who have ridden a Bonnie & Iron 883 and proclaims Iron is a better "Riding" bike.

Btw, which Harley you ride?

Quote:
End of the day it is the ride that makes you smile and comfortable that matters then repenting after buying one. So always take multiple test rides and then decide.
Iam totally with you on this one. In my case, it was just "ONE" test ride that told me which bike I wanted

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th August 2014 at 13:38.
Old 13th August 2014, 22:17   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Would you rather fascination should be reserved only for Harley brand?
Just that some of your comments are biased due to your brand loyalty and that is my perception. I may be wrong.

But again that is your view that you are free to express. But not Harley bikes are bad. You cannot generalize always based on few that you may have test rode merely once or twice for a short distance.

Quote:
On what basis are you saying that people who have ridden both (Fat Boy & T-Bird Storm) will lean more towards Fatboy? Does it ride better or because its a Harley?

Again, not because it's a Harley. It just rides better than Storm.

Quote:
Have you ridden either of them? I have not ridden the Fatboy but, have ridden the Storm so iam quite aware of how it rides

I have ridden both Storm and Fatboy. And of course back to back as you always suggest and definitely not a test ride bike. I have few friends in my group who own both so that is where my experience and feedback is from.

Quote:
Have you ever ridden a Bonnie? You dont like it just because it doesnt look like a Harley or because its too simple looking for your liking?

It would be great if you can ride one and then put your perspective here. Would be interesting !!
I have ridden one at Keerthi motors. Yes it is definitely a smooth bike with higher ground clearance than any of the HDs and more comfortable for a city ride. But somehow the seat and it's riding comfort did not appeal me much. Just to let you know that I had gone there first before even venturing into Harley and the attitude of the guys there made me change my mind. Maybe they did not know I was there to book the bike that day .

Quote:

Otherwise, it will be like, I hate the Superlow because it looks like an "Bajaj Avenger" which is not the right way to guage a bike

As you maybe aware, I rode the Iron 883 and then bought the Bonnie because its a superior bike in EVERY parameter. And, I beileve in calling a spade a spade and is by no means disrespect to any brand/bike/individual

Completely agree and it's your personal opinion. But again you can compare Iron to T100 or Bonne only based on the price range as these are two different bikes which in my opinion does not qualify to be compared against each other. IMO the best entry level Harley is Superlow and if you can stretch your budget then go for Street Bob. Both of these are amazing options with loads of customization. Personally anything in between is just a Harley.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:24   #1179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just that some of your comments are biased due to your brand loyalty and that is my perception. I may be wrong.
Let me assure you that is not the case and as I mentioned before, I dont mince my words when it comes to feedback. When i ventured out to buy a premium bike, like most people aspiring to geting into this segment, I too had Harley as my first shortlist.

Apart from entry level Iron 883, I also rode Super Glide Electra. I didnt find it any different. Yeah, there is lot more power/torque, lot more bling but, that's about it. It vibrates, rides harsh, doesnt handle that great. Overall, did i enjoy how it rode? Yeah, it was nice to ride it for a brief period. But,can i live with that bike? Nope !

Maybe iam just a sucker for expecting smooth performance, excellent handling capabilities and better ride quality from my bike

Quote:
But again that is your view that you are free to express. But not Harley bikes are bad. You cannot generalize always based on few that you may have test rode merely once or twice for a short distance.
Iam sure as you go higher up they must get better. But, I got the taste of entry level and also mid-level. I didn't think they were too different. Perhaps, they were not made for my style of riding.

Quote:
Again, not because it's a Harley. It just rides better than Storm.
Quote:
I have ridden both Storm and Fatboy. And of course back to back as you always suggest and definitely not a test ride bike. I have few friends in my group who own both so that is where my experience and feedback is from.
That's great feedback. I always appreciate feedback after riding a bike which makes it more bielevable

Quote:
I have ridden one at Keerthi motors. Yes it is definitely a smooth bike with higher ground clearance than any of the HDs and more comfortable for a city ride. But somehow the seat and it's riding comfort did not appeal me much. Just to let you know that I had gone there first before even venturing into Harley and the attitude of the guys there made me change my mind. Maybe they did not know I was there to book the bike that day .
Hmmm, seems like mixed emotions. It's definetly comfortable for city rides but, take it on highway then you would have got the real taste of a Bonnie

Quote:
But again you can compare Iron to T100 or Bonne only based on the price range as these are two different bikes which in my opinion does not qualify to be compared against each other. IMO the best entry level Harley is Superlow and if you can stretch your budget then go for Street Bob. Both of these are amazing options with loads of customization. Personally anything in between is just a Harley.
To be honest, I should be comparing the Bonnie SE with a Superlow as Bonnie is cheaper than the Superlow. Whereas the T100 should be compared to Iron 883 both of which are almost neck to neck (price-wise).

I dont think Street Bob is a light stretch to Iron 883's budget as it costs 13 Lakhs OTR? I rode with one this morning, it's indeed really pretty to look at

Anyways, I think we are digressing on this thread. Goodluck to you and enjoy your Harley !!!
Old 14th August 2014, 14:16   #1180
BHPian

Tiger Explorer 1200XC

Finally my bike is registered and been allocated the registration number, attaching few of the image that I took while first ride on my explorer, I will have to get the first servicing done in the last week of August and will be doing that from Hyderabad service enter.

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img_0098small.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img_0094small.jpg

Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-img_0092small.jpg

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:03   #1181
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tiger Explorer 1200XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Finally my bike is registered and been allocated the registration number, attaching few of the image that I took while first ride on my explorer, I will have to get the first servicing done in the last week of August and will be doing that from Hyderabad service enter.

-Pramod
Wooww !! This is one bike which makes my eyes pop out, it makes my jaw drop down and it makes me turn green with envy. Brilliant choice of motorcycle Sir, many many congratulations.

The sheer size is a big turn on.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:28   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tiger Explorer 1200XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Promod congratulations and a lovely bike. Wish you many thousands of happy miles on two wheels.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 14th August 2014, 16:46   #1183
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that Triumph is increasing the prices across its range, the Street Triple should come around 8.00-8.10 lakhs ex-showroom Pune. Also the Kawasaki Z800 is priced at 8.10 lakhs ex-showroom Pune.

I would like to know if anybody has had the opportunity to ride both the bikes, maybe back-to-back. The Z800 is heavy but is well-priced for an inline-4. Kawasaki charges 3 lakh as the booking amount compared to 1 lakh by Triumph.

The Street Triple has a current waiting period of 2-3 months depending on the availability of the color. Kawasaki on the other hand says that they will deliver the bike within 15 days of paying the full amount. Keeping all these factors in mind, which one seems to be a better bike?

My colleague is in the market to buy a new bike and is confused between these two superbikes. How does the Triumph and Kawasaki after sales and services stack against each other?
Old 14th August 2014, 17:38   #1184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
My colleague is in the market to buy a new bike and is confused between these two superbikes. How does the Triumph and Kawasaki after sales and services stack against each other?
My only input is that Kawasaki after sales service is apparently very high compared to Triumph.

There was someone I know from Hyderabad who was considering to buy the Z1000 and was shocked to hear their A.S.S pricing and settled for a Speed Tripple
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 19:39   #1185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Iam sure as you go higher up they must get better. But, I got the taste of entry level and also mid-level. I didn't think they were too different.

I went to Triumph showroom in Delhi today , well these Bikes really ooze quality regardless of the price / size . Something like BMW - I never found anything missing or of low quality in my 3 series than what I got on higher models . Whereas in Harley there are compromises on lower models including suspension , quality of chrome plating say on sportster's vs Street Glide .

Coming to ride of Storm , its buttery smooth no vibrations till around 100 which was max I went . Test Drive was mix of high traffic & some open roads . It absorbs most of imperfections of road without passing anything to rider . In past few years due to my Age & probably low clearances on my Sportster I am no longer used to drive to extent these bikes are capable of but by end of my drive I was able to achieve higher speeds & tighter turns . Regarding Air cool of Harley vs Liquid Cooled on Triumph , I have mixed views - compared to my sportster this got really hot maybe it won't fair to compare 800 cc with something twice but I expected better heat dissipation. Is it possible that Radiator fins are actually holding heat more & for larger time than Air cooled cylinder fins on Harley ? Another thing I missed was individual turn indicators on Harley which are simple or maybe I have got used besides Triumph indicators are not self cancelling which I found little obstructive or I am missing something .

I must admit sound of the Harley's is far roaring , loud whereas Storm was deep but low . If one does want an attention on road , I think Harley's don't have a match and this can be one of reasons that it adds to overall road presence & Oomph factor

Will I buy Triumph ? Most likely yes , as of now Delhi Dealer has a backlog of about 9 or so bikes and delivery is 100 Days or so , with 4 % increase on new bikes & this long delay , I might wait for bigger motor on Dyna's..

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th August 2014 at 19:55.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks