Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 22:08   #1291
DipantS

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Thanks Guys for your feedback, I appreciate it. I am going to attack left handers more aggressively now, want to get rid of that thick chicken strip ASAP.

Old 15th October 2014, 12:52   #1292
BHPian

One of my close friends has booked a Daytona here. However, the dealership (which is yet to be officially operational) says that they run the bike about 25 odd kms after the PDI to ensure everything is fine and then hand it over to the customer. I find this really fishy. Would highly appreciate any pointers from people who have already got their deliveries.

TIA!
Old 15th October 2014, 13:07   #1293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
One of my close friends has booked a Daytona here. However, the dealership (which is yet to be officially operational) says that they run the bike about 25 odd kms after the PDI to ensure everything is fine and then hand it over to the customer. I find this really fishy. Would highly appreciate any pointers from people who have already got their deliveries.

TIA!
PDI includes 12 minutes of running at idle and 12 minutes of riding on road and ensure all gears are used etc. Was under 2 or 3 kms for my bike. 25 km not sure, if they are buffering for RTO run etc
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 21:19   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
PDI includes 12 minutes of running at idle and 12 minutes of riding on road and ensure all gears are used etc. Was under 2 or 3 kms for my bike. 25 km not sure, if they are buffering for RTO run etc
Thank you for the pointer Jaggu. So, excluding the distance for the RTO run, I can safely assume that it shouldn't exceed 3-5 kms. Also, do they let you see while they remove the bike from the crate and do the PDI?

P.S. When is your ownership thread coming up?
Old 15th October 2014, 21:59   #1295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Thank you for the pointer Jaggu. So, excluding the distance for the RTO run, I can safely assume that it shouldn't exceed 3-5 kms. Also, do they let you see while they remove the bike from the crate and do the PDI?

P.S. When is your ownership thread coming up?
They should allow you to be present, give specific instruction. FYI ecu is locked and only dealership has the software key to unlock and start the bike. My bike I inspected when it reached showroom, that's when I came to know about ecu lock and stuff. In bangalore, registration also is online hence there was hardly any running.

Ownership thread once I put in some time riding, right now it's office and back with about 225 km on odo so far.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th October 2014 at 22:00.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:54   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Interesting news! Looks like this makes it easier for few of us when it comes to VFM bike Ninja 650 would sell more.
Its actually a pity. I have been waiting for competition to come into the middle weight segment and force Kawasaki to slash the price on the 650.

I may still never buy one. But I may well buy one of the competiton that comes in and forces the slashing.

Right now it looks more like a cartel, resistant to price drop.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:00   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its actually a pity. I have been waiting for competition to come into the middle weight segment and force Kawasaki to slash the price on the 650.

I may still never buy one. But I may well buy one of the competiton that comes in and forces the slashing.

Right now it looks more like a cartel, resistant to price drop.
I still think they need to be built here for that drop to happen, Doc. That's why I was pretty enthused by the Honda 650F news, until that price point speculation forced me to rein in my expectations (at least temporarily).

But it does conform to what you are saying about a cartel mentality, much like the OPEC economies and oil prices. If you and your competitors can reach consensus to never drop below a certain point, Joe Public is pretty much up shit creek without a paddle.

And in a country like ours with its glacial legal processes, we have almost no choice but to live with it, unless we are prepared for a very long, dirty, protracted legal tussle.

Last edited by Silverflash : 19th November 2014 at 13:01.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:14   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
I still think they need to be built here for that drop to happen, Doc. That's why I was pretty enthused by the Honda 650F news, until that price point speculation forced me to rein in my expectations (at least temporarily).
If its made here, it should cost as much if not less than what the Harley Street costs. Inline 4 or not, its a Honda, and Hondas rarely if ever bike for bike command the same prices that Harleys do. 10 lacs is nutters. So is anything north of 5 lacs for a Make-d in India 650 cc production bike by one of the Japanese big 4. If a KTM 400 cc can be made and offered to the Indian public at 2 lacs, the bar has already been set. The Jap-4 cartel would resist, but the public is watching.

Quote:
But it does conform to what you are saying about a cartel mentality, much like the OPEC economies and oil prices. If you and your competitors can reach consensus to never drop below a certain point, Joe Public is pretty much up shit creek without a paddle.

And in a country like ours with its glacial legal processes, we have almost no choice but to live with it, unless we are prepared for a very long, dirty, protracted legal tussle.
There is no legal recourse in a free economy, especially for what is essentially a non-critical luxury product. The manufacturer offers a product at a price. You either pay the price, or you go elsewhere.

My take is that the Indian public will be taken seriously, and given world level products at sensible prices only when the Indian public starts opening its purse strings and start buying such products. Right now baby steps are being taken by the 250-400 cc crowd. Kawaski believes that 5-5.5 lacs makes the 650 a VFM offering. Many online bikers comment on the same. But how does that translate to actual sales and bikes on the road? Compare that to how many 390s you have on the road?

The Indian public is telling the global manufacturers what its definition of VFM is. That the global manufacturers continue to go their merry way in spite of that points to both cartelization as well as the Indian market still not near mature enough to attract most of them. Not to mention Indian policy makes, regulators, and industry.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:39   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Doc, you can make some of the current offerings look VFM by buying pre-worshiped. Especially if they are low mileage, 1-2 year old at max and can be got for 20-25% cheaper.

Oh wait, I just did that with the STR

PS: Mar '14 bike, so none of this new remapped to 79 bhp nonsense that I hear about. So there you go, another reason to be pre-worshiped!
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-triumph_str.jpg  

niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:58   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post

PS: Mar '14 bike, so none of this new remapped to 79 bhp nonsense that I hear about. So there you go, another reason to be pre-worshiped!
Congrats niranjan. How many KM has your ST done and can you let us know price if its ok for you.
All the best and ride safe.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:58   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, you can make some of the current offerings look VFM by buying pre-worshiped. Especially if they are low mileage, 1-2 year old at max and can be got for 20-25% cheaper.

Wow! She is mint bro, mint!!! Congratulations. You really do have an eye for bikes. And I know you will not only use her well, but do her full justice!

P.S. Don't know if you read about it, but I did the same recently with an Oct '13 390 with 2500 kms on the clock. Got cheaper too (though not to exactly the same extent). There's a lot to be said about the "right" pre-loved bike. And thanks for all your patience and advice during my search - immensely helpful!

Last edited by ebonho : 19th November 2014 at 17:26.
Old 19th November 2014, 18:05   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Congrats niranjan. How many KM has your ST done and can you let us know price if its ok for you.
All the best and ride safe.
Thanks djay. The bike has done 4K kms and has about 40k worth of accessories including the Quickshifter. I picked it up for 7.9.

Quote:
Wow! She is mint bro, mint!!! Congratulations. You really do have an eye for bikes. And I know you will not only use her well, but do her full justice!

P.S. Don't know if you read about it, but I did the same recently with an Oct '13 390 with 2500 kms on the clock. Got cheaper too (though not to exactly the same extent). There's a lot to be said about the "right" pre-loved bike. And thanks for all your patience and advice during my search - immensely helpful!
Thanks Doc for all the kind words! And congratulations to you too! I didn't know you picked up the 390 finally - it was destiny. I am glad to have been of any help.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 18:58   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks djay. The bike has done 4K kms and has about 40k worth of accessories including the Quickshifter. I picked it up for 7.9.
Very good deal IMO . You got 15% off on a 7 month bike and it looks to be very nicely maintained. Congrats and ride safe.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 19:54   #1304
DipantS

Guys, anyone has any idea where I can get wheel balanced for my STriple in Hyderabad? The normal car wheel balancing machines doesn't seems to have provision for motorcycle alloys and hence cant balance them.

Old 22nd November 2014, 21:17   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipantS View Post
Guys, anyone has any idea where I can get wheel balanced for my STriple in Hyderabad? The normal car wheel balancing machines doesn't seems to have provision for motorcycle alloys and hence cant balance them.

Did you check with the triumph service centre??

I get it done from pearl yamaha,Gachibowli.They have got the equipment needed for that.
I remember some of my friends getting their motorcycle alloys balanced at the normal car alignment and balancing shops.But not sure where exactly!

Most Viewed