Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 10:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

what will be the launch price?
Makes a good sense for transition from RE 500 CI.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:04   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
what will be the launch price?
Makes a good sense for transition from RE 500 CI.
Dwaraka -

Looking at the US and UK prices, even if it comes as a CKD unit which would levy a 30% tax, I am assuming the OTR prices to be not less than 5.5L for the Bonnie.

Happy Motoring !!

PS: It'll be a quantum leap from the RE 500 CI, both monetarily and technically. I would be suggestive of thinking twice before you invest that kinda sum, on the contrary, sky is the limit (saw your signature after posting) to fulfill your passion.

Another 5 years down the line, the Indian market is going to be full of 2nd hand SBK's, officially imported, with clean papers, but can one wait is the BIG question.

Last edited by Torquedo : 27th December 2011 at 11:11. Reason: Added the braces content.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Dwaraka -

Looking at the US and UK prices, even if it comes as a CKD unit which would levy a 30% tax, I am assuming the OTR prices to be not less than 5.5L for the Bonnie.

Happy Motoring !!

PS: It'll be a quantum leap from the RE 500 CI, both monetarily and technically. I would be suggestive of thinking twice before you invest that kinda sum, on the contrary, sky is the limit (saw your signature after posting) to fulfill your passion.

Another 5 years down the line, the Indian market is going to be full of 2nd hand SBK's, officially imported, with clean papers, but can one wait is the BIG question.

Tarquedo,

thanks. I should agree with you on pricing being high on initial launch. the company will have to reduce the prices to capture the market like Harley itself.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:34   #49
BHPian

Re: Superbikes spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
A pic from Supercars in Gujarat Fb page.

I thought they were refrigerators at first
This picture is posted on the official Triumph Motorcycle India's FB page with a comment stating that the bikes have arrived for the Auto Expo 2012.

It would be good to see how they place themselves against HD, as HD would be the closest competitors for them.

Cheers,
Old 27th December 2011, 15:54   #50
BHPian

Would make more sense if they went the CKD route right from the start, as did HD. The merciless 150+% customs duty is not going to be very inviting for a brand like Triumph to start with. A lot of RE fans would find this iconic british brand to be a natural upgrade, they could encash on this big time.

Waiting with bated breath...
Old 27th December 2011, 16:11   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Would make more sense if they went the CKD route right from the start, as did HD. The merciless 150+% customs duty is not going to be very inviting for a brand like Triumph to start with. A lot of RE fans would find this iconic british brand to be a natural upgrade, they could encash on this big time.

Waiting with bated breath...
Luky -

Even via the CKD route, the landed price of the Bonnie is not going to be less than 5.5L, how does this workout ? -

USD Price - $ 8,000 - INR - 4,00,000
30% Tax - INR - 1,20,000
Reg + Extra - INR - 30,000 +

So what I forsee is 5.5L + OTR pricing, this for the RE fans is going be on the expensive side.

I have been suggesting on the forum and elsewhere that if RE comes up with a parallel twin - 60 odd BHP, 70 Nm of torque and price it at 3L OTR, they have a winner on their hands.

I myself have been a BIG time fan of the Bonnie, but if you look at it closely, it basically looks like the RE with a Twin cylinder.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 27th December 2011, 16:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I have been suggesting on the forum and elsewhere that if RE comes up with a parallel twin - 60 odd BHP, 70 Nm of torque and price it at 3L OTR, they have a winner on their hands.

I myself have been a BIG time fan of the Bonnie, but if you look at it closely, it basically looks like the RE with a Twin cylinder.
Torquedo,

Just my two cents:
The main bugbear with RE is their reliability issues. When a 600-800cc twin-cyl beast resorts to tantrums, justifications like "marking its territory" are hardly satisfactory. RE has evidently been working on quality and reliability as we see in the latest Classic series, but to get into big twins would be a whole new dimension to them. The Interceptor, Meteor etc are not what we would expect again. Would a RE twin be considered in league with the Harley? HA!! Conversely, Triumph reliability has been stated time and time again on various international forums. I'm willing to take their word for it.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 27th December 2011 at 16:32.
voodoochild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 16:31   #53
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt if Triumph will sell anything before the 2nd half of 2012. There is no news of anything except that a guy has been chosen to run the Indian operations. For instance, if via a CKD route, are they planning to tie up with someone or start on their own? In any case, this will take months to kick off if not a year. A lot will depend on the A.S.S to gain customer confidence.

Via any route, I don't see OTR prices in Bangalore below 6L. That said, I will be a happy prospective customer if the Daytona 675 retails around 8L OTR, Bangalore.
Old 27th December 2011, 16:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Knowing RE, do you really think they could. If they could they would have done it long back. They are still struggling with issues on the new 500 cc engines, parallel twins are a far cry. They will need to be in another league to handle those 2-engines-in-one, and its just not about the motor. Transmission, Primary, Final power delivery etc all the depts. still need a lot of working. I know they have been working hard and they are on it, but they will have to pull up their socks and work harder and actually start right from the number plates.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Via any route, I don't see OTR prices in Bangalore below 6L. That said, I will be a happy prospective customer if the Daytona 675 retails around 8L OTR, Bangalore.
I doubt that, the 675 would easily breach the 10L OTR territory. My estimate ~12L OTR. Having said that, no harm in dreaming...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2011 at 19:08. Reason: posts merged
Old 27th December 2011, 17:01   #55
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I doubt that, the 675 would easily breach the 10L OTR territory. My estimate ~12L OTR. Having said that, no harm in dreaming...
Even via a CKD?

Was a bit optimistic with 8L, 10L would be a fair estimate. Anything above that will be perceived as expensive and suddenly Ducati 848 EVO will start looking attractive at 14.XX L. And customers typically will apply the logic of one gettting a litre GXRs and R1s around that price then why a Superports...

But I like it when someone earlier said that a few years from now lot of SBKs may be on sale at mouth watering prices. Well dream on
Old 27th December 2011, 19:36   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild
Torquedo,

Just my two cents:
The main bugbear with RE is their reliability issues. When a 600-800cc twin-cyl beast resorts to tantrums, justifications like "marking its territory" are hardly satisfactory. RE has evidently been working on quality and reliability as we see in the latest Classic series, but to get into big twins would be a whole new dimension to them. The Interceptor, Meteor etc are not what we would expect again. Would a RE twin be considered in league with the Harley? HA!! Conversely, Triumph reliability has been stated time and time again on various international forums. I'm willing to take their word for it.

Cheers,
Rahul
Thanks for the inputs, Rahul.

My questions -

1) For the so called reliability issues, would you prefer paying close to 3L or more over a similarly specked RE for a Bonnie?

2) Harley has been here for the past couple of years, can we compare their reliability with RE, that has been here for ages? Mate, Indian conditions are a hell lot different from the Western conditions, Skoda for one is a prime example.

3) Would you take someone's word and plonk in 6L odd ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13
Knowing RE, do you really think they could. If they could they would have done it long back. They are still struggling with issues on the new 500 cc engines, parallel twins are a far cry. They will need to be in another league to handle those 2-engines-in-one, and its just not about the motor. Transmission, Primary, Final power delivery etc all the depts. still need a lot of working. I know they have been working hard and they are on it, but they will have to pull up their socks and work harder and actually start right from the number plates.

Sorry for going off-topic.
Luky - I agree with your comments, it'll take RE years to put things in place for sure.

Cheers, Guys.
Torquedo
Old 28th December 2011, 10:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs, Rahul.

My questions -

1) For the so called reliability issues, would you prefer paying close to 3L or more over a similarly specked RE for a Bonnie?
For similar specs, yes I would. But with the Bullet's reliability issues (probably multiplied since its a twin)? HELL NO!!

2) Harley has been here for the past couple of years, can we compare their reliability with RE, that has been here for ages? Mate, Indian conditions are a hell lot different from the Western conditions, Skoda for one is a prime example.
The HD comparison was not made by me, just cited from another post. My mistake for not "quoting" it. Yes, HD needs time to prove their quality, but I'm dead sure its light years ahead of RE. Regardless of the "ages" RE has had to carry out refinements, they've been sitting on their hands the whole time.

3) Would you take someone's word and plonk in 6L odd ?
Obviously only after a test-ride
See, my idea for a Bonnie would be to use it exclusively as a tourer, not as my daily ride to work. 6L does seem a bit steep, but I'm confident the smiles Triumph brings will justify it. Hope I'm not proved horribly wrong!

Cheers, Guys.
Torquedo
My replies in bold.

Cheers
Rahul

PS & OT: Torquedo, whats your ride right now? Just curious, no connection with the thread or anything.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:11   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild

PS & OT: Torquedo, whats your ride right now? Just curious, no connection with the thread or anything.
Let's keep our fingers crossed on the pricing part, but to be fair, looking at the HD and HYSK pricing, I don't expect wonders from Triumph.

An OTR pricing for the Bonnie @ 4L is something that we guys can dream off, but if they land up with that TAG, it sure is gonna create a rumble in the motocycle fraternity and set the cat amongst the pigeons.

PS: Shall PM you on the current ride.

Cheers Mate.
Torquedo.
Old 4th January 2012, 05:42   #59
BHPian

Hopefully Trimuph releases their planned 250cc bikes to get a good foothold in India. After which I am sure their proper bikes could come in via the CKD route. There is definitely a unique passion for British Bikes in India
Old 4th January 2012, 10:48   #60
BANNED

Just saw this on MotorBeam -

I was thinking, the Bonnie is gonna be launched first up, but from this article it seems, it'll be the Daytona.

Triumph To Launch Daytona 675 In India | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks