Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:00   #601
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This is 6 Lacs on road or ex showroom? The Ninja 650 in Pune is 5.5 Lacs on road I guess, so value for money wise it would still beat the Bonnie, for those not really into the classic styling or marque but who just want a rugged fast better bike.
]
Doc,
I Don't think we can slot the Ninja 650 Versus the Bonnie. Not a fair discussion point since Bonnie brings along with its legacy which the Ninja lacks sorely.
Yep both of their engines are parallel twins but if we have to compare it only because of their number of cylinders then we also need to drag the HD Superlow for this street fight.

Bonnie I felt is more in the relaxed cruiser mould rather than the Ninja which is more of a sports tourer. Hope you see my point.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 00:49   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Autocar's review of the Bonne' - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-294827,0.aspx

A good 17bhp more than the Sportster's 883 engines with a top whack of 190kmph, compared to the 160's of the Harleys. Coming at a mouth watering 6L. Just that the styling requires a touch more...
Sorry Guys !!!

I am now beginning to have doubts about quoted reviewers. No way they are going to get a top whack of 190 KMPH from a standard machine. Behaviour/handling of Bonnie over 120-140 kmph range leaves a lot to be desired, to be honest.

Unless they had been given a super tuned machine there is no way the figures they have put down is possible.

May be I am wrong and my Bonnie is a bad one!!! But I love her for what she is.

Bonnie is a lovely machine and the Test Review Ku69RD posted in more sincere and honest !!!

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 15:32   #603
BHPian

Hello Mr Ram,

Hope it was fun watching Vettel win (again) at Abu Dhabi!

Do you remember my Thruxton?

With a free breathing exhaust, bikini fairing, different tune up and a really tucked into the petrol tank/bike style, we had seen 210 to 190 kph on the Thruxton, duly chased by you on the Bonneville.

On the bog standard Scrambler, I have seen 170 kph, however, the lack of wind protection and Bridgestone Trailwings makes life interesting.

I have a few contacts at TPUSA that have kits for Bonneville with @ 903 cc and a reprogrammed ECM, good for 100 bhp, but then, it is far from standard and is for a more hurried ride.

I've been watching this space with interest, would put in my money for a Scrambler and/or Thruxton.

Take care and stay well.

JK
Old 4th November 2013, 18:01   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
Hello Mr Ram,

Hope it was fun watching Vettel win (again) at Abu Dhabi!

Do you remember my Thruxton?

With a free breathing exhaust, bikini fairing, different tune up and a really tucked into the petrol tank/bike style, we had seen 210 to 190 kph on the Thruxton, duly chased by you on the Bonneville.

On the bog standard Scrambler, I have seen 170 kph, however, the lack of wind protection and Bridgestone Trailwings makes life interesting.

I have a few contacts at TPUSA that have kits for Bonneville with @ 903 cc and a reprogrammed ECM, good for 100 bhp, but then, it is far from standard and is for a more hurried ride.

I've been watching this space with interest, would put in my money for a Scrambler and/or Thruxton.

Take care and stay well.

JK
Joji,

But then again you would recall what we did was on arrow straight roads - and you had left me quiet behind - about 5 - 10 seconds (remember I had a pillion that day - my better half)

Then as rightly pointed out by you I wasn't talking about Thruxtons or a reprogrammed Bonnie. I was talking about bone stocks. That red one was really a beuty wasn't it?

Handling as you put it "is interesting" over 140 kmph not as claimed by the reviewer

All I was trying to do was to temper the expectations of the prospective buyers, least they should feel let down by a machine, which is truly great and quiet complete for those who love their machines for the build quality, durability and good spirited on road performance.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 4th November 2013 at 18:04.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 09:55   #605
BHPian

Hello Mr Ram,

Yes, I completely agree with you.

The reviewers tend to soften their punches.

A stock Bonnie is an amazing machine - yes it responds to the twist of the wrist goes round corners, the engine is way over engineered and under-stressed.

Even with temperatures staying put around 48 deg. cel. we have done 90 minute rides at average speeds of 130 kph.

Most prospective owners will look away from a Scrambler since the apprehension concerning the exhaust pipes will be a cause for concern. However, believe me, with a 270 degree firing order, quicker low rpm power delivery, heat shields and higher ground clearance, it is a better machine for the Indian road scene.

The Thruxton, is slightly 'breathed' upon, and handles, stops, sounds and looks better than the Bonnie - custom cafe racer staright out of the box.

The Bonnie - is a polished tweed coated gent - the smoothness of the engine is an eye opener in many ways - aka - Smooth Operator.

It would be interesting to see how the Triumph launch in India eventually pans out.

Reg,

JK
Britishbangers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 10:30   #606
Senior - BHPian

Keerthi motors Bangalore has been appointed as the first triumph dealership for the country.
Source FB
rk_sans is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 11:00   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Keerthi motors Bangalore has been appointed as the first triumph dealership for the country.
Source FB
Aren't they a part of Aadya motors? And could you please tell me which FB page this info is on?

Thanks,
Old 5th November 2013, 12:52   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Aren't they a part of Aadya motors? And could you please tell me which FB page this info is on?

Thanks,
Was on mobile at that time, could not get the screenshot.
Shubz, here is the source.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-capture.jpg.png  

rk_sans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 14:58   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Was on mobile at that time, could not get the screenshot.
Shubz, here is the source.
Fantastic Scoop Santosh Saar, how did you manage it?
Now we also know that Samarth Nandish is heading the dealership as well.
Looks like Facebook is changing the very dimensions of communications.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:24   #610
Senior - BHPian

http://www.triumph.co.uk/india/ is up now. Nothing new in it.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:56   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
http://www.triumph.co.uk/india/ is up now. Nothing new in it.
DJ - Dont think they'd put up something this early. Probably closer to the launch date, they may come up with a new site altogether highlighting the launch etc.
Old 6th November 2013, 00:36   #612
BHPian

TRIUMPH HERITAGE

2013: As Triumph’s market share in the +500cc sector reaches 6.2%, expansioncontinues withTriumph’s launch into India.

Source:
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...rcycles.co.uk/
Old 6th November 2013, 11:00   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,

I Don't think we can slot the Ninja 650 Versus the Bonnie. Not a fair discussion point since Bonnie brings along with its legacy which the Ninja lacks sorely.

Yep both of their engines are parallel twins but if we have to compare it only because of their number of cylinders then we also need to drag the HD Superlow for this street fight.

Bonnie I felt is more in the relaxed cruiser mould rather than the Ninja which is more of a sports tourer. Hope you see my point.

Bro no arguments on the legacy bit. Though the only legacy the new Bonnie carries forward from the old is the look and the marque. Its a bit like saying the new Royal Enfields are Bullets. The only difference being that unlike the Triumphs, the Royal Enfields thanks to India had an unbroken run.

I think my post did clarify that mine was the perspective of a biker in India with 5-7 lacs in his pocket and wanting to buy the best bike his money could buy. With warranty and service and spares backed by company support.

The legacy and heritage and brotherhood are all really neat things. Which would tip the scales in a match up between bikes that are reasonably close otherwise. But IMHO, the machine is still more important than the history of its marque and all of the rest.

I would buy into the legacy bit if the Bonneville, like the standard Bullets, was still for the most part unchanged from the way they were built originally. A breathing living modern classic. But as I said, the new Bonneville is actually a brand new bike with modern technology that just looks like the original and shares the same badge. For me at lest, that not the same thing.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:13   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would buy into the legacy bit if the Bonneville, like the standard Bullets, was still for the most part unchanged from the way they were built originally. A breathing living modern classic. But as I said, the new Bonneville is actually a brand new bike with modern technology that just looks like the original and shares the same badge. For me at lest, that not the same thing.
Mate,
Agree with your view point. The Bonnie basically carries forward nothing from its pre 1972 days except for the badge. Its a classical example of how the Royal Enfield Bullets have transitioned into Classics & Thunderbirds today.

What was missing though was, Triumph was defunct for quite some time unlike RE which kept chugging along. Pretty much sure if RD 350 was not to be launched by Yamaha then Bonnie would have still topped sales chart for its segment and we could have seen its evolution.

Remember Yamaha were forced to upgrade their RD 350 to RD 400 just to meet the emission norms and am sure it would have been a similar case with Bonnie. We would have lost the original 1970's Bonnie to the "save earth" campaign.

Having seen a 1970 Triumph Bonnie am sure you would not even have slung your leg over it cause of the huge vibes. But yes I have not experienced the new Bonnie but reviews state otherwise.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:26   #615
Senior - BHPian

Guys sorry to disturb the discussion. I did see what looked like a white Street / Speed Triple this morning on my way to work. Could not take a pic as he crossed me in traffic.

@ ku69rd someone i know does own the vintage Bonneville and is looking forward to get the new one too. It would be a sight to see the old with the new together in the same garage.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks