Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Good Work Shrini, believe now you can expect a bit of tough time in getting her out with customs clearance once she reaches Indian Shores. Any Idea or Estimated date given as to when the consignment will reach India?
Pray all goes smooth for you and with minimum of fuss. Eager to see your write up.
1st weekend of Aug container will land in chennai.
As per relocation guy i've two seperate clearance one for HG (home goods) and one for MC. MC will take a bit longer to clear than HG
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

What is the 5th document - Recall Letter? Why is it needed and how can one get it?
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
What is the 5th document - Recall Letter? Why is it needed and how can one get it?
Recall letter is just to make sure that there are no recall's on your make/model year.
Mine is a HD so I had to get a recall letter from HD. I walked into a dealer and gave my VIN & model year and they gave me a recall letter.
shrini78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:55   #19
BHPian

Continuation on my first posting.
Before the vessel sails out of USA, you need to submit all the documents to US customs minimum of 72hrs prior to the vessel departure for custom's clearance.

Like me, most of the folks who will move, will be hiring a relocation company for their move.It the responsibility & duty of the relocation company to submit all the paper work to customs 72hrs prior to the vessel departure.(Earlier the better)
Also it is an individual responsibility to give all the above mentioned paperwork to your relocation company.

After the relocation company submits the paperwork to customs, they go thru everything and they stamp on your original title. Once they do this on your title then it is good for exportation out of the country.

see my title for ref
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E3180_customs_endorsement.pdf (2.05 MB, 1412 views)
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
After the relocation company submits the paperwork to customs, they go thru everything and they stamp on your original title. Once they do this on your title then it is good for exportation out of the country.
How much would the customs charge you in terms of taxes or fees? Or would you want to share the details of the expenses towards the end?
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:45   #21
BHPian

Will reveal all the details in the end
Old 14th July 2011, 02:22   #22
BHPian

Very very informative ,will surely help a lot of folks to get these beasts back home.
will keep visiting this site for more information.

thanks
MSVG
Old 14th July 2011, 08:05   #23
BHPian

just an update.
As per the GOI guideline
My depreciation value stands at 30.5% + I could avail another 15% depreciation (I forgot on what basis they apply this)

What i've heard from many source is that there is no work around or under the table job for bringing automobile, its all straight & simple.
Will break up the entire fee process once I get my bike here
Old 14th July 2011, 09:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just an update.
As per the GOI guideline
My depreciation value stands at 30.5% + I could avail another 15% depreciation (I forgot on what basis they apply this)
That's gladdening to read would it mean that the bike would be depreciated 45.5% percent or 15% over the 30.5%? And are these rates calculated on a year to year basis?
Old 14th July 2011, 10:33   #25
BHPian

I've already posted this in another thread before, but here it goes

Depreciation is calculated by customs like this when you bring your bike on TR.

4.0 % per quarter in the 1st year x 4 quarters = 16% total
3.0 % per quarter in the 2nd year x 4 quarters = 12% total
2.5 % per quarter in the 3rd year x 4 quarters = 10% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 4th year x 4 quarters = 08% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 5th year x 4 quarters = 08% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 6th year x 4 quarters = 08% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 7th year x 4 quarters = 08% total

TOTAL = 70% depreciation

Add this above numbers to Current import duty which stands at approx 145% (depreciated value) when you bring your bike on TR.

So if you import a bike under ToR then CIF (Cost Insurance & Freight) duty is charged on top of your depreciated value.
shrini78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:55   #26

Awesome bike Shrini!

Joined this forum few weeks ago, this being my first post.

I currently ride a Sportster XL 1200C in Harley capital Milwaukee! And loving every moment of it.

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-bike4.jpg

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, planning to get back to Chennai/B'lore/Kovai (yet to decide) by early next year. I've owned my bike since '07 but I've not customized it much. On seeing your postings and the Harley culture growing in India, I planning to add more bling to my ride and hopefully bring my baby back to India.

Detailed info on importing a bike from USA-bike6.jpg

Your detailed postings on Team-BHP on importing bike to India from the US help me a lot and encourages me to do the same when I move next year.

Please keep the 'posts' coming until your bike hits the ECR ashphalt!

Thanks.
-Sarawana
"Screw it! Lets Ride."
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:52   #27
BHPian

@Sarawana
nice bike
few cosmetic mods that i think you could
remove tank emblem,
remove reflectors at front & rear
switch to layback license plate (check mine) or get a vertical plate side mount ones
you can get 1" tank lift which kinda lifts your tank so its easy to clean your heads
change the lights to billet (eastern performace sells it for 99$) look at my headlight thats the kind i'm talkin about
Dont know what your rim size are (if you got money & time then do change to chrome ones) it just simply enhances your bike look
if you are still running stock rotors, i'd suggest you better look at floating rotors they are absolutely must when u brake hard
I see you've went with short shots (if you've gone for stage I, i'd suggest you change to K&N filter-washable & resuable for your entire life)
Get an oil cooler from HD it really helps when u get to IND, I know u wont need in Milwaukee but you'll definitely need it in IND.
Get a chromed front end, always look for swap meet, ebay,
Get a catalog & start splurging the $$$

One thing that i've noticed here in IND is that prices are very high compared to USA for the parts and also you need to order & wait, since you are there and if you've strongly decided to bring your bike back with you i'd suggest you do all the mods that you can and get it

F.Y.I.
check out www.hdforums.com
do become a member there and usually HD memebers buy & sell their stuff so you'll get lotsa like new products many times from a memeber for half the retail price that you'd pay at a stealer...
Finally general rule never buy from a stealer LOL

Last edited by shrini78 : 22nd July 2011 at 10:56.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:22   #28
BHPian

nice info there

but i am a little slow on maths

so you have to pay 145% on the deprecitated value which is 70%
meaning if the bike was 1000 rs ( i wish ) depreciated value is now 300rs and customs is 145% of 300rs thats 435rs

is that right
what are the other charges if any

Quote:
I've already posted this in another thread before, but here it goes

Depreciation is calculated by customs like this when you bring your bike on TR.

4.0 % per quarter in the 1st year x 4 quarters = 16% total
3.0 % per quarter in the 2nd year x 4 quarters = 12% total
2.5 % per quarter in the 3rd year x 4 quarters = 10% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 4th year x 4 quarters = 08% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 5th year x 4 quarters = 08% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 6th year x 4 quarters = 08% total
2.0 % per quarter in the 7th year x 4 quarters = 08% total

TOTAL = 70% depreciation

Add this above numbers to Current import duty which stands at approx 145% (depreciated value) when you bring your bike on TR.

So if you import a bike under ToR then CIF (Cost Insurance & Freight) duty is charged on top of your depreciated value.

Last edited by gt_mustang : 22nd July 2011 at 21:25.
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
nice info there

but i am a little slow on maths

so you have to pay 145% on the deprecitated value which is 70%
meaning if the bike was 1000 rs ( i wish ) depreciated value is now 300rs and customs is 145% of 300rs thats 435rs

is that right
what are the other charges if any
Yes your equation is right
but u'd add depreciated value + freight cost + insurance cost + landing cost = the final price of your MC
Old 24th July 2011, 00:17   #30

Quote:
@Sarawana
nice bike
few cosmetic mods that i think you could
remove tank emblem,
remove reflectors at front & rear
switch to layback license plate (check mine) or get a vertical plate side mount ones
you can get 1" tank lift which kinda lifts your tank so its easy to clean your heads
change the lights to billet (eastern performace sells it for 99$) look at my headlight thats the kind i'm talkin about
Dont know what your rim size are (if you got money & time then do change to chrome ones) it just simply enhances your bike look
if you are still running stock rotors, i'd suggest you better look at floating rotors they are absolutely must when u brake hard
I see you've went with short shots (if you've gone for stage I, i'd suggest you change to K&N filter-washable & resuable for your entire life)
Get an oil cooler from HD it really helps when u get to IND, I know u wont need in Milwaukee but you'll definitely need it in IND.
Get a chromed front end, always look for swap meet, ebay,
Get a catalog & start splurging the $$$

One thing that i've noticed here in IND is that prices are very high compared to USA for the parts and also you need to order & wait, since you are there and if you've strongly decided to bring your bike back with you i'd suggest you do all the mods that you can and get it

F.Y.I.
check out www.hdforums.com
do become a member there and usually HD memebers buy & sell their stuff so you'll get lotsa like new products many times from a memeber for half the retail price that you'd pay at a stealer...
Finally general rule never buy from a stealer LOL

Wow... thats a lot of custom work to do! I already have the K&N washable air filters. Planning to go for a stage-I upgrade (new jets for the carb) and change my wheels, lights and foot pegs. Will keep posting once that happens.

One question on the list of documents you had mentioned. I do not have a bill of sale as it was a private party deal. Is there a substitute for this document?

Most Viewed