Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 08:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawana View Post
One question on the list of documents you had mentioned. I do not have a bill of sale as it was a private party deal. Is there a substitute for this document?
Not a problem is u dont have bill of sale.
Once you get your bike here, custom officials have something called "Key book" or "Black Book" it will list the manufacture retail price so the depreciation is calculated on it.

just an example:
lets say your 07 custom you purchased from a private party and you under declared your value while getting the title, so that you will end up paying less tax+regn for your state there.
Now you bring your bike to IND on ToR and if you think you can calculate the depreciation the under declared then you are totally wrong as the customs will go by the "Book" value that I mentioned above

Last edited by shrini78 : 24th July 2011 at 08:17.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawana View Post
Awesome bike Shrini!

Joined this forum few weeks ago, this being my first post.

I currently ride a Sportster XL 1200C in Harley capital Milwaukee! And loving every moment of it.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, planning to get back to Chennai/B'lore/Kovai (yet to decide) by early next year. I've owned my bike since '07 but I've not customized it much. On seeing your postings and the Harley culture growing in India, I planning to add more bling to my ride and hopefully bring my baby back to India.

Your detailed postings on Team-BHP on importing bike to India from the US help me a lot and encourages me to do the same when I move next year.

Please keep the 'posts' coming until your bike hits the ECR ashphalt!

Thanks.
-Sarawana
"Screw it! Lets Ride."
Nice Ride!

I was in your state this past weekend. Rode a Heritage Softail from Madison to the Stevens Point area and back. I've got some pictures but don't want to hijack Shrini's thread.
Old 5th August 2011, 20:20   #33
BHPian

importing a 600 cc super sport

Hi Folks,

I have been searching for information on buying and importing a 600cc super sport to India, but I haven't been able to find too much conclusive information out there, I really would appreciate it if someone here could point me in the correct direction! Here is my situation:

I am currently a student in the US and am thinking of buying a used cbr600rr, I'm graduating in December at which point I may or may not be returning home. If I do, then obviously I would like to bring the bike back with me ( I started my MS in August 2010 ); if I don't come back, then I will be working in the US for a year on a combination of F1 and H1 visas. I suppose in the second eventuality I will be okay and be able to bring the bike back on TR. If that doesn't happen, is it still possible for me to bring the bike back this December if I come back?

Thanks for the help!
Old 5th August 2011, 22:06   #34
BHPian

Re: importing a 600 cc super sport

Read my thread that I started, you'll get all your answers...
"Detailed info on importing"
Old 5th August 2011, 22:11   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp817 View Post
Nice Ride!

I was in your state this past weekend. Rode a Heritage Softail from Madison to the Stevens Point area and back. I've got some pictures but don't want to hijack Shrini's thread.
Hope you had a great time. You should also try the Kettle Moriaine State forest routes. There are excellent roads and views in that route! Post some pics too.
Old 5th August 2011, 22:28   #36
BHPian

Hello there,

The 600cc segment is bound to heat up by the end of the year. You have some great & affordable options here itself.

With Hyosung (GT650r) and Ninja (650) starting the race, be rest assured getting one once you come back locally will make sense.

Just my 0.2$.

Please refer to the following thread, it should be helpful :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-bike-usa.html

Also, Mods :- You can merge this thread with the existing one.

Edit :- Sorry Shrini, I took time to reply back and in the meantime you had already replied. imp! - Both of us are referring to the same thread here.

Last edited by mantrig : 5th August 2011 at 22:30.
Old 5th August 2011, 22:41   #37
BHPian

Hi Shrini,

I am following your thread, however, there are some issues with a 600 cc import, I think that there are issues with homologation. The government had/has banned sub 800 cc imports to protect indigenous manufacturers, but also there is confusing information regarding 600 cc imports on TR. Considering that I am a student, I don't know if TR applies to me.

Hi Mantriq,

I hope you are correct, but, the two bikes you mentioned are not even close to being 600cc super sports. These would be the Kawai ZX6R, Honda cbr600 rr, yamaha r6, triumph daytona 675, ducati 848 evo (well, technically it isn't a 600 cc super sport, but it rides like one). There is some talk about the yam/Honda/Kawai bringing their bikes here but we could be in for a long wait. The other option is to pick up an R1 or something
Old 5th August 2011, 23:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi Shrini,

Hi Mantriq,

I hope you are correct, but, the two bikes you mentioned are not even close to being 600cc super sports. These would be the Kawai ZX6R, Honda cbr600 rr, yamaha r6, triumph daytona 675, ducati 848 evo (well, technically it isn't a 600 cc super sport, but it rides like one). There is some talk about the yam/Honda/Kawai bringing their bikes here but we could be in for a long wait. The other option is to pick up an R1 or something
I agree with you here, when you say they are not even close to being super sports. And that's exactly why I said the race has begun. Honda's and Yammies will have to enter the race soon if they want to stay alive in this premium (mid-segment). And their options have to be the cbr600rr & R6 respectively.

So at the risk of sounding highly optimistic, I am being confident and stating that by the end of year the market will be hot enough for you to find what you are looking for.

Also, one of the major reasons for me stating that was - I had read somewhere that you need to own the vehicle for some time (1-2years) on your name before you bring it down on TR. I might be wrong here, but I think that's what I had read. So since you are planning to buy a bike in the coming months, bringing it down in Dec might be a hurdle.

But don't worry, I am sure you will get your period of stay extended and you will be able to work in the US for more than a year. In that case, all your problems are solved.

BTW, which state are you in? I'm schedule to fly down sometime soon. (Aug end - I might be in Nashville, TN & Sept-Oct in Chicago, IL). We should catch up if geographies permit.

Last edited by mantrig : 5th August 2011 at 23:21.
Old 6th August 2011, 02:53   #39
BHPian

@ Srini : Is there any rule that the ownership of the bike has to be in your name for a specified period in the country of origin before it is imported into India ?
Regards,
Ashok
Old 6th August 2011, 10:34   #40
BHPian

Can u bring a bike 600cc in ToR?
Yes you can.
How long you need to own the bike?
2 yrs in ur name to be eligible for a ToR.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
@ Srini : Is there any rule that the ownership of the bike has to be in your name for a specified period in the country of origin before it is imported into India ?
Regards,
Ashok
As of now when i'm typing this, you must & should own the bike for 2 yrs in your name to avail a ToR when getting it back.

Last edited by shrini78 : 6th August 2011 at 10:37.
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 10:40   #42
BHPian

Went to Chennai Customs yday and as of now my container will be arriving on Aug16th, so hopefully wiil get to see a clearer picture in the coming weeks
Old 6th August 2011, 14:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Can u bring a bike 600cc in ToR?
Yes you can.
How long you need to own the bike?
2 yrs in ur name to be eligible for a ToR.
Hey Shrini,

How about not on TR can I still import one? Are you sure about the two year of ownership? I've been reading about a one year minimum ownership period for TR and you have to own the bike for 2 years before you can sell it.

Thanks !
Old 6th August 2011, 16:17   #44
BHPian

@IMP!
Not sure where u got this theory of 1 yr ownership for TR. It's always been 2 yrs.

To import something thats not on TR,basically you gotta be a Indian Citizen holding an Indian passport residing in India at the time of Import.You can only import a brand new MC from a dealership.This will again lead to other complication like government emissions/norms which the bike has to be compliant with or else its gonna be a huge headache for you.

The safest way to get a bike is use it keep it in ur name for 2 yrs and get it in a TR.

on an another note, I thought it was funny , Indian Govt charges duty for bicycle when you bring on TR even if its used...I was completely surprised by this.
Old 7th August 2011, 02:47   #45
BHPian

@ Shrini : Strange are the ways of the Indian Government!
My understanding is that the MC should not be over three years old (from the time of manufacture) atthe time of import into India. Would be grateful if you could throw some light on this point.
Regards,
Ashok

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks