Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 22:34   #91
BHPian

Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Reviving this thread as I moved back to USofA.
You can do a ToR once every 3 years as per the rule...I did my first ToR on Oct 10,2011 so moved back to USofA..
Purchased another motorcycle in my name & will keep it for 1 year and will do a ToR by EOD 2014
Old 28th February 2013, 07:16   #92

Shrini,
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm going through the ranks of membership approval and still don't have the "PM" feature to reach out to individual members.

I'm moving back this year after 18 years in the US and plan to take my BMW GS back with me, Had a few questions. Could you please pass me your info, so I can call and chat?
thanks much!
Karthik

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Reviving this thread as I moved back to USofA.
You can do a ToR once every 3 years as per the rule...I did my first ToR on Oct 10,2011 so moved back to USofA..
Purchased another motorcycle in my name & will keep it for 1 year and will do a ToR by EOD 2014
Old 1st March 2013, 18:17   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugane View Post
Shrini,
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm going through the ranks of membership approval and still don't have the "PM" feature to reach out to individual members.

I'm moving back this year after 18 years in the US and plan to take my BMW GS back with me, Had a few questions. Could you please pass me your info, so I can call and chat?
thanks much!
Karthik
Vugane, I would advice sale your GS in US and buy a brand new GS from BMW in India. It will save you a lot of hassle and time.
Old 1st March 2013, 23:14   #94

VTEC Guy,
I'm not sure if its going to be financially even worth it go get it in India.

I called the BMW folks in bangalore and they tell me that a F650gs twin(which is what I have here) would cost about 15 lakhs on the road and the R1200GS about 25 lakhs.

That translates to close to $27,000 for the F650GS twin. I paid about $11K for it in the US 4 years ago and it'd cost me around $7-8K with duties, which puts in well below the street price in bangalore.

I'm gonna put my trust in folks like Shrini and others who've done due dilligence with the ToR process and go with it. Lets see how that goes!

cheers,
Karthik

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Vugane, I would advice sale your GS in US and buy a brand new GS from BMW in India. It will save you a lot of hassle and time.
Old 4th March 2013, 23:22   #95
BHPian

Quote:
VTEC Guy,
I'm not sure if its going to be financially even worth it go get it in India.

I called the BMW folks in bangalore and they tell me that a F650gs twin(which is what I have here) would cost about 15 lakhs on the road and the R1200GS about 25 lakhs.

That translates to close to $27,000 for the F650GS twin. I paid about $11K for it in the US 4 years ago and it'd cost me around $7-8K with duties, which puts in well below the street price in bangalore.
cheers,
Karthik
Advance wishes Karthik if you decide to do ToR.
As per your above statement here is a breakdown of what you might pay (it's a ballpark figure)
You said your bike is 4 years so lets take a 4 year depreciation rule
Bike Value : 11000$
Trade disc: 15% = (11000-1650) = 9350$
4 year depreciation = (16%+12%+10%+8%) =46%
FOB value after depreciation @ 46% = 4301$
4301$ + 100$ (M/c freight certificate) = 4401$
Note: Pls take a minimum of 100$ freight cert
4401 + 1.125% (insurance) = 4450.51$
4450.51 * 55.00 (INR assumed value) = 244778 INR
244778 * 1% (landing cost) = 247225 INR
247225 * 133.187% (Duty cost) = 329272 INR
Redemption fine & personal penalty will be charged on assessable value

I dont wanna startle you with info but this is pretty much you are looking at & again these figures are subject change

The above breakdown does not include your actual shipping charges that you will incur to ship your bike to IND
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 06:22   #96

Shrini,

Thanks for the run down of the numbers. After reading your detailed/harrowing posts, I'm now prepping myself for the worst at the other end

Will keep the folks posted on how ToR works in 2013

Ride Safe!

ps. are there any threads in here or classifieds for spare parts/accessories buying? I regularly use advrider.com and hoping to have something similar.

cheers,
Karthik
Old 20th March 2013, 05:19   #97

TOR with 2 seperate shipments - Is it possible?

Hello All,
Like the subject says, is it possible to have 2 different shipments be a part of the same TOR?

I'm moving to india on an international assignment through a company and the company policy does not allow cars/motorcycles as a part of their relocation cost.

Can I use another shipper to just ship by bike, but keep it under the same ToR allowance? If so, what documents would I need to have?

thanks!
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:48   #98

hi all,

Good info... thanks
but i would like to know if we Indian's working/living abroad could take bikes home even if not on TR? as i want to take mine home but same time i still continue working abroad!

Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 16:22   #99

Its been 3 months and I am still unable to register the bike through the RTO in bangalore ;(

Anyone know of a good agent in bangalore, who can help register the bike.
Any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
Karthik
Old 12th February 2014, 17:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its been 3 months and I am still unable to register the bike through the RTO in bangalore ;(

Anyone know of a good agent in bangalore, who can help register the bike.
Any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
Karthik
Karthik,

Try calling this guy Pradeep/Santhu on +919738560667. I don't know him personally, just tell him, he helped me with the registration number for my Harley and from Banashankari. I am not sure which rTO you are dealing with though. Mine was registered with Jayanagar RTO (KA-05)

Thanks.

Last edited by Shubz : 12th February 2014 at 17:41.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 17:42   #101
BHPian

Karthik pls PM me your number and I'll help you to get in touch with the right one
Old 13th February 2014, 16:47   #102

Moderator note: Please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks.

Shubz,
thanks much for the info, I'll reach out to Pradeep.
Btw, I'm in marathalli area,so should be the indiranagar RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Karthik,

Try calling this guy Pradeep/Santhu on +919738560667. I don't know him personally, just tell him, he helped me with the registration number for my Harley and from Banashankari. I am not sure which rTO you are dealing with though. Mine was registered with Jayanagar RTO (KA-05)

Thanks.
Quote:
Karthik pls PM me your number and I'll help you to get in touch with the right one
Shrini,
unable to PM.tried to reach the moderators before about that problem. In fact I had tried to PM you re. some questions around customs. you can sms me your number to 8971550505.

thanks much.
karthik

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th February 2014 at 17:20.
Old 26th November 2014, 12:45   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Will go to appeals and going to put a case in few weeks, as I dont get it why they included my sales tax/prep fee/doc fee/inspection fee/inventory fee (All these were never added before, the guy who is an Assessing Officer doesnt know)

From Novice i've become an advanced user in getting bike on TR & household goods this thread i'll continue in short while about REGN duty, Insurance etc....
Just read through the entire thread at one go. What a sea of information!. BTW, did you go for any appeal or filed a case against the Customs for charging you higher?
Old 27th November 2014, 10:01   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Just read through the entire thread at one go. What a sea of information!. BTW, did you go for any appeal or filed a case against the Customs for charging you higher?
I could if I'm physically present in IND,my agent keeps telling me to do it but I work in USA now and always on travel so it is impossible to do it at this juncture
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:46   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbee View Post
hi all,

Good info... thanks
but i would like to know if we Indian's working/living abroad could take bikes home even if not on TR? as i want to take mine home but same time i still continue working abroad!

Thanks
Did you get an answer to this question at all?

Most Viewed