Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2018, 23:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Thanks GutsyGibson. Issue i am facing due to the winter is that the offers am getting is low balled ones. But i dont mind waiting, so offers which are ridiculous gets the same variety response from me.(one or two worded offers!)

Maddy
Old 29th October 2018, 23:59   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Thanks GutsyGibson. Issue i am facing due to the winter is that the offers am getting is low balled ones. But i dont mind waiting, so offers which are ridiculous gets the same variety response from me.(one or two worded offers!)
Maddy
I know how one gets attached to their bikes more than cars
I totally understand what you went thru when u made the decision.

This is the end if you reached happy path,
If you are unhappy then consider that it is not the end
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 01:59   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Maddy
You can set a reserve price and try listing it on eBay motors. I have bid and bought on eBay, and I have sold one on eBay. I agree that best time to sell is the spring, and best time to buy is Fall/winter.
Old 26th June 2019, 22:44   #124

This is a wonderful thread. Several years worth on content and knowledge in just one place.

Question: I have read that to be eligible for a TOR, you must have owned a motorcycle for at least a year. What if you have NOT owned it for that period?

I have a BMW R1200R which I bought just about a month ago. I got it as a used bike and not brand new (actually the previous owner had done just 1000 miles on it, so it made sense to go for a used one). The R1200R is one underrated motorcycle, shawdowed by the popularity of the GS. And now, BMW has stopped manufacturing the R1200R. The kind of features that my motorcycle has, will not be available even as an option in India. If I do have to relocate (been living in the US for almost 3 years now), can I still take my bike to India?
VTEC_Love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:05   #125
BHPian

Bringing a used motorcycle from the USA

Hi everyone

I was a regular member several years back. I have been in the USA for the last 7 years and am planning to come back early next year.

Was planning to get a shipping container to bring my stuff back to Chennai.

Wondering if it makes sense to bring a motorcycle back in the container. I like Adventure Touring bikes like the Versys. I know it's available in India - trying to see if it makes sense to get a used one cheap and bring it back. I think I can get a used Versys 650 for about $5000 (3.5 lakh) or a Versys 1000 for about $7000 (5 lakh).

Does anyone have experience with the Transfer of Residence rules and/or with the cost of customs and other charges at the Port?

Also, do you have any recommendations for other stuff that I can bring back in the container?
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bringing a used motorcycle from the USA

IIRC the tax is 100% on imported vehicles, and the additional paperwork is too much. In the end you will end up paying a similar amount to Indian prices.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:49   #127
BHPian

There is a "transfer of residence" section in the customs rules that will allow you to pay a lower duty for your own vehicle. Do check for applicability of the rules to you.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:26   #128
Senior - BHPian

Your source of information are...
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...-bike-usa.html (Detailed info on importing a bike from USA)

Tax calculation - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post2115375 (Import regulations for bikes) and https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post2134331 (Import regulations for bikes)
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:39   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
. I think I can get a used Versys 650 for about $5000 (3.5 lakh) or a Versys 1000 for about $7000 (5 lakh).

Does anyone have experience with the Transfer of Residence rules and/or with the cost of customs and other charges at the Port?
Not much clue about the import and customs process but a quick google search reveals import duties of 50 - 125% on used vehicles + many other charges

However, the superbike market is gaining popularity in India since last few years and you can easily find good specimens of low used/well maintained superbikes at 70-80% more than what you quoted for US prices, assuming those prices were for a couple of year old models.

Kawasakis especially are on a roll in India and you shouldn't find it difficult to search for one. In last 12 months, a friend picked up a well maintained Versys 650 2016 run less than 15k KMs + slew of accessories at little over 6 lakhs. Another one picked up a sweet Z800 of similar vintage for 8 lakhs

All in all, unless you have sentimental values with the car/bike you intend to import, I would say you are better off getting a used one in India to avoid the unforeseen hassles. Also, the recent slowdown in vehicle industry in India can help you find a lucrative deal on a new superbike if you research well.

Just my opinion. Cheers and good luck in your search for the used bike in US or India

Last edited by camitesh : 2nd September 2019 at 13:41.
camitesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 02:00   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
...Was planning to get a shipping container to bring my stuff back to Chennai.

Wondering if it makes sense to bring a motorcycle back in the container. ...
@proxima pls PM me and I'll help you as I did my ToR to Chennai and this thread was created by me and has helped many petrol heads to bring their fave bike with them back to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Love View Post
...Question: I have read that to be eligible for a TOR, you must have owned a motorcycle for at least a year. What if you have NOT owned it for that period?...
It absolutely doesn't matter if you purchased an used or new motorcycle.
In the end, as an owner you need to own it for 1 year overseas under your name and then you can do the ToR.
The max depreciation you are going to get is 70% of the price paid (if the bike is 7 years old) Anything less than 7 years, you'll get less depreciation & anything more than 7 years you're capped at 70%.
It is always better to keep paper trial.
In your case since you bought it as a used one from a private party it would have been prudent if you have notarized and kept a Bill Of Sale. If you don't have it, it's not a big deal as they have a black book in customs to verify the value of the motorcycle.

Keeping more papers, you'll have the motorcycle cleared in less time
less the papers, cumbersome the process will be (IMHO)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th September 2019 at 10:14. Reason: Making it one logical post
shrini78 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 17:07   #131

Happy to see few of us made it through the cumbersome process of importing our loved bikes.
I'm in the same boat as the thread creator. Not able to private DM him.
Can someone share me a clearing agent contact info i can reach out to.
Got hold of an Indian shipping agent here in Chicago, but he says the bike shouldn't be more than three years for ToR.
The TC (HS), 2012 SCHEDULE 1 – IMPORT POLICY point:3
implies 3 yr limit not necessary mandatory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks